Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
klondike

What a swizz!

Imagine my delight, when just this morning, I tuned in, ignorant of today's TCM schedule, and found Scarlett O'Hara, Liberty Vallance, Inspector Montag, Dr. Loveless & Colonel Klink, all in the same wonderful-looking B&W film!

What were they doing in that film?

Why, besides talking non-stop & **** each other off, absolutely nothing; just "starring" in Ship of Fools.

P-U!

I'm starting to hate March on TCM!

Did I say "March"?!!

I meant, of course, to say (write) "February"!

Guess that's what all the Oscar talk has done to my brain-pan; I feel like my entire mental "movie-eye" has been funnelled down to a point, and aimed up the calendar at the arrival of those skinny gold Hamlets!

Dear 'Swizz"

I'm with you, I've barely watched TCM this past week. I either have most of the films on tape or the're so recent, I am not ready to see them again, or they have been on in the past month or so, like Tootsie. Also Mourning Becomes Electra was on this past summer, and although a good movie, a little too depressing to start the day with.

Anne

What did you think of this one which was on today. It was one of the old Columbia Pictures flixs TCM gets fron Sony. I set my timer to record it and will be watching it later tonight.

One Night of Love *** (1934)

Columbia Pictures (1934) (USA) (theatrical)

Runtime: 83 min

Language: English / Italian

Color: Black and White

Sound Mix: Mono

Certification: UK:U

Mary Barrett is an aspiring Opera singer who is taken under the wings of a famous operatic maestro, Guilio Monterverdi. After spending endless working hours together and arguing, their relationship develops into love. But, jealousy and misunderstandings prevent Mary and Guilio from acknowledging their true feelings.

Credits (Not available on DVD)

? Grace Moore

? Victor Schertzinger

? Tullio Carminati

? Harry Cohn

? Lyle Talbot

? Mona Barrie

? Jesse Ralph

? Luis Alberni

What exactly is wrong with "Ship of Fools"??? I recorded this and "Mourning" (big Eugene O'Neal fan). Pretty immune to *depressing* since I find life to be such???

> "What exactly is wrong with "Ship of Fools"??? "

If you enjoyed it, absolutely nothing!

Remember the closing line to the movie? A little 4th-wall remark from the vastly underappreciated actor Michael Dunn, which ran something like:

"What has all this to do with you? Why, absolutely nothing!"

(Or something very similar to that.)

Well, that was my problem; I neither identified with any of the characters, nor were entertained by all of their personalities, so spent the whole rest of the movie waiting for something interesting to happen plot-wise, or at least witness some unique events . . . and my wait was in vain.

Bottom line: despite an esoteric & commendable cast, the movie just never worked for me, even for a single minute.

That's all!

Otterhere:

Don't blame Klondike for the 'depressing' remark, I said it. A lot of O'Neal comes across as depressing to me. With my life story, the last thing I want to do is start out the day in a depressed state of mind. I wish I could be like you, but I can't, so I try to stick to light stuff in the a.m. No offense meant, that's just me.

Anne

The movie you have such low opinion of may be another classic movie lover's masterpiece.

Stop whining about the movies you don't like -- nobody forces you to watch anything. Don't like what's playing? That's what they have TiVo and DVD players for. Or you could even try to see what's on FMC -- they're playing Cavalcade tomorrow morning, an Oscar winner that TCM can't play.

Just find a movie you *do* like and say something nice about it.

But sometimes people talk about how great a movie is, so you sit down to watch it, but halfway through it, you're wondering what the deal is, finally the movie ends and you just didn't get it. That happened to me a few months ago, you weren't here yet, but I made some popcorn and sat down to see 'Long Day's Journey Into Night', when it was over I came straight to this board and said, "someone explain to me why this movie is so great". Seriously, I found so much about it that I couldn't get a handle on why. Several people answered and did explain it to me, so I watched it again later, but the same thing happened, so I never mentioned it again. It's the same as getting a best seller that everyone is raving about, but you can't get through the second chapter. You voice your disappointment hoping someone will make it clear what thrilled so many other people.

I don't like to see movies that remind me of the tragedies in my own life, but until I've seen the movie, I don't know that is what is going to happen. I adore Julia Roberts but many people on this board have no use for her, but so what, I'm not related to her, so they can say she has a big mouth, an ugly face, and can't act, it doesn't hurt me, that's their opinion, and they're free to say so. These posts would be pretty dull and boring if everyone agreed on all movies and only said "Oh yes, I loved that, or her, or him". It's a 'discussion' board, which includes debates.

Anne

PS Some of the satellite networks don't offer FMC except in the highest level as in my case. I'm already getting ripped off with 120 channels, 100 of which are Spanish, sports and news, so what is the sense of paying $20.00 more a month for one more channel? I have to keep the 120 for TCM as it is.

Stop whining about the movies you don't like -- nobody forces you to watch anything. Don't like what's playing? That's what they have TiVo and DVD players for. Or you could even try to see what's on FMC -- they're playing Cavalcade tomorrow morning, an Oscar winner that TCM can't play.>>

I certainly didn't get the impression that Klondike was whining. He was voicing his opinion. He even took the time to talk about why he didn't like the film (as opposed to just calling it crap and walking away) and made clear that his not liking the film was just his opinion and he understood that there are those who do like the film.

He did this without being rude, ragging on anyone and without denouncing TCM for running the film. He has posted about his respect for the channel and for many of the films it runs. This just happened not to be one of them. Not everyone is going to love every film TCM shows. That's what these message boards are for, so we can debate the merits of films, both pro and con.

Now if you want to talk whining about films and TCM, well there are entire threads filled with that throughout the back pages of this forum and Klondike's post about Ship of Fools sounds nothing like those.

Well sorry but sometimes I just can't believe the degree of impatience (or what seems like impatience) that some people can occasionally show with movies which they don't find to their taste, but which they may also sometimes just not be ready for, or have watched under the wrong circumstances, etc.

While I can certainly say a lot of awful things about current movies, I very rarely will totally lambast any classic movie, for a number of reasons that I've learned over the years. Yes, there have been many many occasions where I've found myself not enjoying a movie as much as I wish, or as much as I had expected to based on the reputation a movie has acquired over the years. But you know what? I never whined, I never said "P-U" or "what a waste of time" or anything even remotely like it. I just put it away from my mind for that time and made a mental note to revisit the film at some point in the future, to watch it again under different circumstances, or to try to learn a little bit more about the genre, director, or other circumstances that may need to be taken into consideration to properly enjoy a film.

It has been thorugh rigorous self-discipline that I've gotten to a point where I very, very, very, very rarely do not get something out of watching a classic movie, whether it be on TCM, or FMC, or DVD, etc. Sometimes it simply answers a question like, what would a little-known movie from 1942 with Gene Tierney have offered to audiences of that time? Sometimes the answers aren't immediately clear. Sometimes the importance of a movie only truly becomes clear after having seen other related movies, over a number of years, that help put the first movie in its proper perspective.

So yeah, I think there is an awful lot of whining for something that we should all be grateful -- in the days before TCM and home video, watching old movies wasn't nearly as easy as it is today, in terms of being able to watch most of them in their original aspect ratio, without interruptions, etc. I honestly think we should at the very least be grateful for the opportunity, whether or not this opportunity is as enjoyable as we'd hoped or not, because it's all too easy to forget that up until the early 50's, the options for watching movies remained very much limited to what was playing in theaters, and relatively few movies were re-issued to theaters.

The bottom line is, we have more options for movie watching than people ever did before in history, and when we find something we don't like we can simply not watch anymore of it, and move on and find something that we do like.

Even today, outside the U.S./Canada, without access to TCM and rental services like Netflix, a lot of movie buffs may have a considerably harder time getting to watch as many classic movies as we do here. So instead of being utterly spoiled and whining each time we don't enjoy a movie all that much, we should just be grateful that at least we had the chance to watch the movie with relatively little effort. And if it doesn't work for us, then moving on and watching something else is always an option.

It is possible to not like a movie and voice a negative opinion about it (this is a message board), even though one is grateful that we do have this channel to watch when it shows something we enjoy. I for one am not happy with this month's schedule so am not watching TCM this month.