Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mike Connors, ‘Mannix’ Star, Dies at 91

JakeHolman

“Mannix” ran for eight seasons from 1968 to 1975 and was the last series from Desilu Productions. Connors won a Golden Globe for his performance as a tough, athletic investigator, who in quintessential detective show style, insisted on doing things his own way and often got beat up in the process. He drove an impressive series of muscle cars including a Dodge Dart and Chevrolet Camaro.

VARIETY > http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/mike-connors-dead-dies-joe-mannix-1201971140/ 
HOLLYWOOD REPORTER > http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/mike-connors-dead-star-mannix-was-91-969213 
Always enjoyed his shows. Long gone era.
RIP

• Like 1

Like the old movie stars, I wasn't sure that he was still alive.

I did watch that show as a kid, but I haven't seen it in years.

I remember a line from a sitcom, maybe Seinfeld, that made

fun of old people because they were sitting around watching

reruns of Mannix. I think I mentioned a few weeks ago that

I always liked his early billing as "Touch" Connors.

"Mannix" had one of the coolest and jazziest opening credits sequences on television. The theme was composed by Lalo Schifrin, who also did the music for another Desilu/Paramount series, "Mission: Impossible."

During the first season, Joe Mannix worked for a computerized investigation agency in Los Angeles with Lew Wickersham (played by Joseph Campanella) as his boss.

Season 2 saw Mannix working as an independent private detective with a personable and dependable secretary named Peggy Fair (played by Gail Fisher, who became the first black actress to receive a Primetime Emmy. She won the 1969-1970 award for Outstanding Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Drama Series).

• Like 3

I liked MANNIX too, and like Vautrin, thought he was long gone too.

Guess everybody was still weeping over Mary Tyler Moore to notice.

I liked his earlier show TIGHTROPE and always thought it was cool when he'd whip out that gun hidden behind his back.  That show was the reason I bothered to tune in to Mannix.

Sepiatone

Like the old movie stars, I wasn't sure that he was still alive.

I did watch that show as a kid, but I haven't seen it in years.

I remember a line from a sitcom, maybe Seinfeld, that made

fun of old people because they were sitting around watching

reruns of Mannix. I think I mentioned a few weeks ago that

I always liked his early billing as "Touch" Connors.

Another star whom we recently discussed on these boards

Sad news, although he had a long, full life. I've been watching some of the first season of Mannix as it airs on ME-TV, so he's been back on my radar lately.

tve3497-19671209-213.jpg

Mike "Touch" Connors in 1956's Swamp Women.

23dd2617ccb880be9c279fa651f2909f.jpg

Swamp Women! a bad movie classic. And with one of my favs, Marie Windsor!

Seems like a lot of sad news keeps on coming.  Miguel Ferrer died last week, and I don't think I heard or saw a story about it..25 years after his dad.

In case you missed it shutoo, our friend and regular board contributor jakeem started this thread when Miguel Ferrer died...

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/125734-actor-miguel-ferrer-1955-2017/

Season 2 saw Mannix working as an independent private detective with a personable and dependable secretary named Peggy Fair (played by Gail Fisher, who became the first black actress to receive a Primetime Emmy. She won the 1969-1970 award for Outstanding Performance by a Supporting Actress in a Drama Series).

When I was a child, my mother would get stopped on the street by people thinking she was the secretary. That bridge he is shown running across is gone now.

• Like 1

When I was a child, my mother would get stopped on the street by people thinking she was the secretary. That bridge he is shown running across it gone now.

Gerald, that was the old Henry Ford Bridge in Long Beach CA, wasn't it?

I remember driving over it years ago. The grates which made up that old drawbridge's roadway were so widely spaced that it made doing so a pretty scary proposition as I recall.

(...especially on a motorcycle)

***correction to follow***

Just checked on the internet and found that the Henry Ford Bridge there in Long Beach closed in 1959, and so it couldn't have been that one I drove/rode over. It was probably the bridge they built next to it and which replaced it in use that I drove/rode over back in the day.

I'm old, but I'm not THAT old, ya know. ;)

Edited by Dargo

Long before the Kardashians were born, Connors -- real name: Krekor Ohanian -- was a proud Armenian-American on television. As a matter of fact, I never noticed until reading obits that the red, blue and orange graphics in the "Mannix" opening credits sequence reflected the colors of Armenia's national flag.

mannix.jpg

• Like 2

Swamp Women! a bad movie classic. And with one of my favs, Marie Windsor!

try sitting through voodoo woman with a ridiculously homicidal-prone marla english. :o

look for touch connors in the credits of cecil b.demille's The Ten Commandments too  :)

Gerald, that was the old Henry Ford Bridge in Long Beach CA, wasn't it?

I remember driving over it years ago. The grates which made up that old drawbridge's roadway were so widely spaced that it made doing so a pretty scary proposition as I recall.

(...especially on a motorcycle)

***correction to follow***

Just checked on the internet and found that the Henry Ford Bridge there in Long Beach closed in 1959, and so it couldn't have been that one I drove/rode over. It was probably the bridge they built next to it and which replaced it in use that I drove/rode over back in the day.

I'm old, but I'm not THAT old, ya know. ;)

That's what most think. Actually, the railroad bridge that was next to it was the Henry Ford bridge. That green draw bridge with the big X was the Schuyler Heim bridge.

• Like 1

This is the same thing that killed Robert Vaughn a few months ago.  I thought it had been eradicated; sadly not so.

He was a funny man on the talk show circuit and very proud of being Armenian.  I didn't know he was in The Ten Commandants as was another TV star,Clint Walker.  Mannix was not my cup of tea but I applauded it for casting Gail Fisher as "Peggy" and Connors as a credit to the industry.  RIP, Sir.

I didn't see Jake's thread until after I'd posted one.  We used the same material so I'm letting the Administrator shut mine down.

That's what most think. Actually, the railroad bridge that was next to it was the Henry Ford bridge. That green draw bridge with the big X was the Schuyler Heim bridge.

Thanks for the clarification on this, Gerald.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings