Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

JOHN HURT DEAD AT 77

drednm

Hurt was one of my favorite English actors, one whose work I would seek out. A Man for All Seasons10 Rillington Place, Midnight Express, Alien, The Elephant Man, Heaven's Gate, The Hit, 1984, Rob Roy, Contact, 44 Inch Chest, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy are just a few films featuring engaging performances from Hurt.

I had read that he was battling a hard-to-beat form of cancer sometime in the last few years, so I had been expecting this news for awhile. His pain has ended, and he's left us with many fine movies to remember him by.

d0e38f5c0eafe81d359c36c5c92dcc4e.jpg

c9c61f7d4916bfba902530a5257634f6.jpg

John_Hurt_1.jpg

• Like 6

In addition to the films LawrenceA mentioned, I would add he was in SnowpiercerHellboy and Hellboy II: the Golden ArmyIndiana Jones & the Kingdom of the Crystal SkullV for Vendetta, two of the Harry Potter movies including the first one, Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Lost Souls, ContactDead Man and Even Cowgirls Get the Blues and was the narrator of Dogville. One of my all-time favorites.

• Like 1

Sir John was one of the best things about "A Man for All Seasons" as the ambitious Richard Rich, who betrays Sir Thomas More (Paul Scofield) for personal gain.

The film won the Academy Award for Best Picture of 1966 almost 50 years ago. It's so hard to believe that most of the cast members are gone now. An exception is Vanessa Redgrave, who appears briefly as Anne Boleyn. The actress turns 80 on Monday.

• Like 2

And since someone already took the 1984 reference and the Spaceballs clip, all that has me left with is mentioning in the great "Literary animated" year of 1978, he not only voiced Hazel in the animated "Watership Down", but also Aragorn in the Ralph Bakshi "Lord of the Rings":

• Like 1

51KS6e-WUVL.jpg

John Hurt is one of my all-time favourites.  Champions (1984) is a little seen film of John's that deserves to be right up there with his best.  As it says on the imdb it is the true story of steeple chase jockey Bob Champion who was diagnosed with cancer but then went on to win the Grand National.  R.I.P, John.

• Like 4

One of my favorites for sure.  Didn't see everything he's done, but liked him in everything I've seen.

I can't seem to remember when I first took notice of him.  I'm just glad that I did.

Ahhhhhh....................

Sepiatone

• Like 1

John Hurt was an actor who constantly challenged himself.

I first took notice of him in "10 Rillington Place".

His portrayal of Quentin Crisp in "The Naked Civil Servant" is one of the actor's greatest performances.

Rest in peace, Mr. Hurt, you will never be forgotten.

• Like 4

I was just thinking about him yesterday, remembering a news story about his cancer sometime last year. He was wonderful.  His characters were so varied, and all of them interesting to the point where I often forgot the other actors in the film. RIP, Mr. Hurt.

"Wanna take a ride?"

• Like 1

And how cool was it that Hurt played George Orwell's Winston Smith in "1984" (1984)...

...and the Big Brother-like High Chancellor of the United Kingdom in "V for Vendetta" (2005)?

Good point, jakeem.

Goes to show how well Hurt could, as they say, stretch as an actor, doesn't it. And, how many actors come to mind who can be so believable and interesting as both the oppressed and the oppressor in various films?

(...can't think of that many, right off the top of my head, anyway)

• Like 2

Good point, jakeem.

Goes to show how well Hurt could, as they say, stretch as an actor, doesn't it. And, how many actors come to mind who can be so believable and interesting as both the oppressed and the oppressor in various films?

(...can't think of that many, right off the top of my head, anyway)

How about Lord Olivier as the quintessential ex-Nazi in "Marathon Man" (1976)?

marathon-man-laurence-olivier.jpg

And as the determined Nazi hunter in "The Boys from Brazil" (1978)?

boysfrombrazil74km0_5140.jpg

I'll dumb it down a little.

When the American Film Institute presented its 2003 television special on the top movie heroes and villains, Arnold Schwarzenegger made the list in both categories.

The T-800 (Model 101), the relentless killing machine from "The Terminator" (1984), was the No. 22 villain.

terminator-1984.jpg

The reprogrammed Terminator from the 1991 sequel "Terminator 2: Judgment Day," was the No. 48 hero.

why-terminator-2-judgment-day-is-the-gre

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings