Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actress Emmanuelle Riva has died

Barton_Keyes

Actress Emmanuelle Riva died on January 27, 2017. An icon of the French new wave thanks to her powerful performance in HIROSHIMA, MON AMOUR (1959), Riva earned an Oscar nomination and the best reviews of her career as a stroke victim in AMOUR (2012).

220px-Emmanuelle_Riva_Cannes_2012.jpg

The Guardian remembers her here: https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/jan/28/peter-bradshaw-on-amour-star-emmanuelle-riva-cinematic-icon-in-two-different-eras?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Like 3

Emmanuelle Riva and Eiji Okada in Alain Resnais' "Hiroshima, Mon Amour", which has a script by Marguerite Duras - what a move event that was in the early 60's - and with its' unforgettable ending - 

She: I'll forget you!  I'm forgetting you already!  Look how I'm forgetting you!  Look at me!

( . . . . She has succeeded in drowning him in universal oblivion.  And it is a source of amazement to her.)

She: Hi-ro-shi-ma.

Hi-ro-shi-ma.  That's your name.

(They look at each other without seeing each other.  Forever.)

He: That's my name.  Yes.  Your name is Nevers.  Ne-vers in France.

Emmanuelle Riva was one of the supreme talents on both the screen and stage in France and Italy over the past half century. Such a shame it took the entire world to notice her until clear into her 80s, but better late than never, right? Beyond her unforgettable performance in Resnais' "Hiroshima mon amour" (1959), a seminal achievement of the Left Bank, Riva's haunting stillness graced the works of Melville, Franju, Pietrangeli, Garrel, Pontecorvo, Kieslowski––all the titans of international cinema. For those only acquainted with Riva's performance in "Hiroshima," check out "Therese Desqueyroux" (1962) and "Leon Morin, Priest" (1961)––the latter has to be seen just for the exchanges between her and Belmondo. 

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings