Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ben's politics and being host of TCM

mulatta10

I read with amazement, a member making a comment about Ben's politics, and why he should not be host of TCM! He said it was inappropriate to have someone like him being host, but I've never heard Ben speak of his politics, since becoming a TCM fan in 2005! I feel, that Ben is a wonderful host with the movie creds and family ties to old Hollywood, like he has! Btw, I enjoy Ben on TYT! Keep a the great work! One last thought, doing replays of Robert Osborne, introducing movies, indefinitely, is not a great idea! I love Robert, but he's older and it's his time to take it easy!

• Like 7

I read with amazement, a member making a comment about Ben's politics, and why he should not be host of TCM! He said it was inappropriate to have someone like him being host, but I've never heard Ben speak of his politics, since becoming a TCM fan in 2005! I feel, that Ben is a wonderful host with the movie creds and family ties to old Hollywood, like he has! Btw, I enjoy Ben on TYT! Keep a the great work! One last thought, doing replays of Robert Osborne, introducing movies, indefinitely, is not a great idea! I love Robert, but he's older and it's his time to take it easy!

Absolutely mulatta! I couldn't agree more with both you and John's response here.

Still say though that while I like Ben and his sharp sense of humor and knowledge of classic cinema AND that he almost always refrains from expressing his own personal political opinions while doing his duties at TCM, ain't it a shame about that NASALLY damn VOICE of his?!

(...yep, the only thing that ever bugged ME about the guy is how when he pronounces words like "actor", the dude sounds like a freakin' goose and makes that "AAAKtor" sound...but HEY, other than THAT, the guy's pretty damn good in MY book anyway...and besides, not ALL of us can possess these mellifluous golden-toned voices like mine, ya know)

LOL

• Like 1

Better watch it, Dargo.  You'll have the NTA (Nasal Talkers of America) after you.

Is that the group headed by Fran Drescher???

(...yeah, I've heard they can come down pretty darn hard on people like me, alright...word is once they have ya, they do somethin' like an audio version of this whole waterboarding thing...they tie ya to a chair and make ya listen to her and people with voices like hers talk for hours upon hours and until you go stark ravin' crazy...well okay, crazier in my case) 

• Like 1

(...yeah, I've heard they can come down pretty darn hard on people like me, alright...word is once they have ya, they do somethin' like an audio version of this whole waterboarding thing...they tie ya to a chair and make ya listen to her and people with voices like hers talk for hours upon hours and until you go stark ravin' crazy...well okay, crazier in my case) 

Including the collected recordings of the Wilmington Men's Nasal Chorus, featuring their renditions of all the favorite Christmas carols.

Including the collected recordings of the Wilmington Men's Nasal Chorus, featuring their renditions of all the favorite Christmas carols.

Oh yeah! I think I have one of their old recordings around here someplace. No, wait. Used to have anyway.

However, I don't think it was their Christmas album. I think it was their rendition of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

Yeah, I think instead of cannons they used kazoos.

(...yep, weird little album as I recall...only listened to it once before playin' Frisbee with it)

Oh yeah! I think I have one of their old recordings around here someplace. No, wait. Used to have anyway.

However, I don't think it was their Christmas album. I think it was their rendition of Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

Yeah, I think instead of cannons they used kazoos.

(...yep, weird little album as I recall...only listened to it once before playin' Frisbee with it)

Yeah. I don't remember, did they play them through their nostrils?

Yeah. I don't remember, did they play them through their nostrils?

Yeah, through their nostrils. Two at a time. One for each nostril.

Except for that one guy with the deviated septum.

(...he only played one kazoo...for obvious reasons)

• Like 1

(...yep, the only thing that ever bugged ME about the guy is how when he pronounces words like "actor", the dude sounds like a freakin' goose and makes that "AAAKtor" sound...but HEY, other than THAT, the guy's pretty damn good in MY book anyway...and besides, not ALL of us can possess these mellifluous golden-toned voices like mine, ya know)

LOL

Maybe Ben can pick up some extra bucks filling in for GILBERT GOTTFRIED on those AFLAC ads whenever Gilbert calls in sick.  ;)

MY favorite is their rendition of BLOWIN' IN THE WIND!  :D

Sepiatone

• Like 2

Her **** make up for her irritating voice.

I wouldn't have a clue what his politics is, except that I stumbled upon a video of him with several other people, reporting on the Presidential election results; and while he was fairly subdued, giving updates, his co-anchors (on whatever the hell the channel was), were downright psychotic.It was obvious that he was not happy with the results, but he kept it under control, unlike the others.

I support Ben for continued TCM Host.  I don't believe I really care to know his politics and even if I did, unless he only supports the showing certain types of movies or makes subversive remarks about those involved in the making the film, why should we care of is it even any of our business. 

It doesn't take Einstein to take a good guess at what his politics might be (however it isn't relevant to TCM) just by knowing his family and their history.  His Dad worked for the Kennedy's (not hard to imagine dining room conversation) and you are able to understand more background if you read the biographies of Joe, Hermann and Tom.  I would give anything to be a wallflower at their family visits...interesting, well educated,well read and backgrounds (Jewish immigrants from Germany in the late 19th century) that resonate very much with me.

There have been numerous threads on this message board decrying Ben..give it a rest, watch and enjoy the movies and if you really need politics leave us alone and watch the TV news/read papers (you do read?).  There are not that many personalities as closely related to the golden era of film as is Ben and you know he is a great supporter of TCM.  So please find another bone to chew on...like the Whing Club.

• Like 2

This is such a silly argument( if an argument at all).

I mean, did liberals call for the dismissal  of conservative PAT SAJAK  and Libertarian DREW CAREY from their  jobs due to their politics?

Would that mean that liberals are more magnaminous than conservatives?  Or WHAT?

Sepiatone

One last thought, doing replays of Robert Osborne, introducing movies, indefinitely, is not a great idea! I love Robert, but he's older and it's his time to take it easy!

What rank ageism is this?  What does his being "older," have to do with his views on movies?  If anything his age means he actually knew some of the actors and directors he talks about and that means we at home get bits of first hand information. If they are replays then they aren't costing Robert any energy, but in any case, it's up to him whether or not he needs to "take it easy."

What rank ageism is this?  What does his being "older," have to do with his views on movies?  If anything his age means he actually knew some of the actors and directors he talks about and that means we at home get bits of first hand information. If they are replays then they aren't costing Robert any energy, but in any case, it's up to him whether or not he needs to "take it easy."

Or ever stand on a particular corner in Winslow Arizona, eh Andrea?!

(...sorry...couldn't resist) ;)

I wouldn't have a clue what his politics is, except that I stumbled upon a video of him with several other people...

They (and their channel) are called "The Young Turks". Ben isn't a full time panelist.

And, yes, Ben is more restrained than most of the others, some whom seem to be auditioning for a community theater production of "Daddy's Dyin'... Who's Got The Will?"

They (and their channel) are called "The Young Turks". Ben isn't a full time panelist.

And, yes, Ben is more restrained than most of the others, some whom seem to be auditioning for a community theater production of "Daddy's Dyin'... Who's Got The Will?"

that ana kasperian is hot though. :)

• Like 1

Ahem...In that particular lyric it was the girl who was driving a "flat bed Ford".

Twas the man doin' the standin'.

(Sorry, I couldn't resist either.) :D

;)

True WL, but I was thinkin' of Bob standin' there, if of course he chose to do so, and just like the thought of it being his decision to retire or not.

(...btw, if you happen to ever visit Winslow yourself, you'll find there's really nothin' much there OTHER than the beautifully restored La Posada Hotel, one of the remaining and historic old Fred Harvey chain of hotels, and as depicted in that Judy Garland movie)

• Like 2

This guy didn't get half a dozen words out of his

mouth before I knew he was as red as they come.

What, Vautrin?! Figured MovieMadness or Jake haven't given us THEIR take on this thread yet, and so decided YOU'D speak for 'em here or somethin'???

;)

LOL

What, Vautrin?! Figured MovieMadness or Jake haven't given us THEIR take on this thread yet, and so decided YOU'D speak for 'em here or somethin'???

;)

LOL

I believe it is the duty of every patriotic American to expose

the international communist conspiracy wherever it rears its

ugly head, whether at work, at school, at the grocery store,

or on a movie message board. 

• Like 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings