Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Due to Frank Darabont hosting prison/jail pix all month, wanted to see yours as we?? (PLEASE VOTE)

spence

(TOP PRISON FILMS)-(you pick 'em)

By now director Frank Darabont of "Shawshank Redemdtion" "The Green Mile" is co-hosting w/Ben Mankiewicz a month long film marathon on prison cinema throught Hollywood history

(Please cast your own personal candidate's for your all-time fav & or greatest jail/motion picture pictures:

To start the ball rolling as well, my own top 10 to dare are listed below-(*-always indicates an ACADEMY (AMPAS) AWARD winner)

1st "Cool Hand Luke" (l967) I grew-up watching (*Newman) this, also my all-around fav of his. Sooo many super scenes. The Fight,  I'm Shakin' it here Boss" "Digging of the Hole" "His final get away" & of course the finale! Most of the cast already gone too. & *George Kennedy towered above all, winning his only nom & victory as ("Dragline") & a almost legendary score helped by Laszlo Schifrin. (TRIVIA: Who think McQueen coulda played Lucas Jackson?)

2. "White Heat" (l949-WB's) (*Cagney as Cody Jarrett delivered what I rank as his greatest ever! Although he was kinda' bored w/hoodlum roles calling them "No Strain" He much preferred Singing & Dancing. It was his concept to tell Walsh that the guy should suffer from head seizures. Of course no nomination for the masterpiece & as V. Mayo was often quoted "His  work just made them seem stronger" & that she new he'd never win a 2nd *Oscar as Cody, because in that era they'd never give a major *Oscar to a gangster picture  unquote

& as you all know *Max Steiner's score propels it all, as usual   "MR. DYNAMITE!" as Mayo always called him

3rd "Angels With Dirty Faces" (l938-WB's) ("The 0riginal Rocky, as in Sullivan")  But I don't quite include this classic gangster-epic as a jail or prison film. It shows him-(*Cagney) growing up a bit in montage editing & then of course the end, speaking of which I  personally rate among Hollywoods All-Time-(top 3) greatest death scenes!

4th "The Shawshank Redemption" (l994) ($28m.) (4 stars) This truly made prison film, has gained in nothing but momentum since being up for 7 *Oscars that year,but I predicted Tinsel-Town" would go with the mega popular & culture icon that us & was *"Forrest Gump" ($330m.)

Now many critics go so far as calling "Shawshank," among the greatest ever made, even (imdb.com) voted it A No. 1 in it's poll out of the top 25 films, even over *"GFI" & "Kane!!!"

& REMEMBER   "BROOKS WAS HERE!"

5th ever close above 6th   "Papillon" (l973) (An emmense hit, mainly due to at that time Steve McQueen-(l930-l980) was among worlds most popular stars, but the don't think his fans were ready for this. & let me know if I'm wrong again here  I think this epic is by far the worst of any prison conditions yet on "The Silver-Screen"  on "Devil's Island' no less. *D. Hoffman did his method thing & stayed awake, starved,etc as he later did opposite *0livier in "Marathon Man" (l976)  then poor *Dustin check out the dailies & this guy was stealing everything, just by laying back & underplaying

& he was correct, however Steve was surprisingly to all not even up for his 2nd Best Actor *statue

for the role?   (TRIVIA: For the most knowledgeable fans out there, do you think Steve shoulda' been the race vs. *Lemmon, "Save the Tiger"-(his 2nd), Brando, "Last Tango in Paris"  Nicholson, "Last Detail"-(my #2 vote) & Al Pacino in "GFII"    YOU DECIDE

(HONORABLE MENTION: & CLOSE BEHIND> "Midnight Express" (l978) (barely 4 stars!0-(NOTE: TO EDITING TEAM YOU SENT MY WORK IN CYBERSPACE AROUND HERE???)  

Based on a true story of a young man being locked away in a horrific prison around 1970. After "Papillon" probably the most disgusting place of all!   Earned about (8) nominations, most notable it's already legendary music score by *Giorgio Moroder  who won one of it's 2 *Academy awards, other being for it's script.

(& only a handful of honorable mentions: "I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang" (l933-WB's) (*Paul Muni earned his 2nd of 5 nominations here, as did director Mervyn LeRoy) (****-stars!)

"Take the Money and Run" (l969) (*"The Woodman's" brilliant funny & was just warming up on what was to come   i.e. "Bananas" (l97l) for just 1)

"Point Break" (l967) somewhat a jail picture though, but still powerful (***1/2) *Lee Marvin-(tough as nails again) & the HOT Angie Dickenson are the leads. Filmed at Alcatraz

"The Big House" (l930)  (M-G-M) (*Wallace Beery, Chester Morris & Robert Montgomery are on hand is the dated now (***) huge hit during the great depression. *Beerry got his 1st of just 2 nominations a lifer "Butch") Did win for Best writing-(*Frances Marion) & Sound Recording

"Each Dawn I Die" (l939-WB's) (***) Sole teaming of *Cagney & George Raft, but only typical Warner Bros, stuff

"Brute Force" (l947-UA) (***1/2) *Lancaster & Hume Cronyn-(his best role) In the fast paced prison drama. GUESS WHO WINS?

(FINAL NOTE: For me simply not on thee worst, but thee most "digusting" prison films I've ever head the misfortune of seeing  "Pentitentiary" & "PentitentiaryII) :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

THANK YOU & WELCOME YOU THOUGHT

"Brubaker" (l980) was another, but had problems at the last 1/2 hour I thought

m    Almost 4-got one, but still wouldn't rate in my top (5) I chose

*Clint's 1979 "Escape from Alcatraz" (***1/2 out of four)

& although they were not supposed to be playing adults  1983's (***-good) "Bad Boys"  *Penn was about 25 here though

Sweet Sugar

Phyllis Davis and some other chicks as prisoners on a sugar plantation. Trashy fun, except for the cats flying through the air.

OH yeah! "Sweet Sugar" INDEED, Rich!...

sweet-sugar-movie-poster-1972-1020249719

(...to use the vernacular of that time, Phyllis was sure one foxy lady, wasn't she?!)

• Like 3

There was an interesting dress code on that plantation.

Yep!

And which now conjures up a bit of dialogue in one of the classic MTM Show episodes, and where Mary befriends the hooker while spending time in jail, and who later in an attempt to find "other employment" designs that revealing green dress that Mary dons...

Disgusted at Ted Baxter's ogled reaction at Mary's appearance, Georgette says: "So Ted! Would you like it if I wore a dress like that?"

And drooling at what he's seeing, Ted replies: "I want every woman in the free world to wear a dress like that!"

Can't post the trailer here because it's a little too over the top, but the narration by Paul Frees is hysterical. You can find it on youtube.

Yeah, I'll BET it was "a little too over the top", Rich!

Ya see, while I was lookin' for that movie poster down there and/or a shot of sweet Phyllis in that movie on the internet, I ran across an animated gif of her and another sweet young thing in this movie taking a shower together...topless.

(...and so yeah, THAT'S why I'll bet that trailer is, as you said, "a little over the top" for this crowd around here...and IF it's "a little too over the top" for this CROWD around here, can you JUST imagine how "over the top" it would be perceived by our prudish little moderator around here???)

LOL

Yeah, I'll BET it was "a little too over the top", Rich!

Ya see, while I was lookin' for that movie poster down there and/or a shot of sweet Phyllis in that movie on the internet, I ran across an animated gif of her and another sweet young thing in this movie taking a shower together...topless.

(...and so yeah, THAT'S why I'll bet that trailer is, as you said, "a little over the top" for this crowd around here...and IF it's "a little too over the top" for this CROWD around here, can you JUST imagine how "over the top" it would be perceived by our prudish little moderator around here???)

LOL

People just don't appreciate fine art when they see it.

• Like 1

Okay Rich, as you recommended, I just got through watching the trailer of this flick on YouTube.

And yeah, Frees' narration was sure full of very inventive "purple prose", wasn't it. What a distinctive voice that man had.

(...but it didn't contain that shower scene I talked about or any other nude or even semi-nude scene, and so I don't see how posting it might have violated any of the "standards" of this website?...and while it DOES contain a high level of violence, as I'm sure you know, we Americans have always thought THAT was quite alright, but heaven FORBID someone showing the naked human form on film, RIGHT?!) ;)

I attepted ibn vein to list of my top prison films, but the admistrators cut me off iv vein?

I tried (3) times as well, but NADA

SO, GAVE IT UP IT UP

I know EXACTLY how you feel here, spence!

(...uh-huh...I used to get the hiccups too when I'd get frustrated about somethin')

Okay Rich, as you recommended, I just got through watching the trailer of this flick on YouTube.

And yeah, Frees' narration was sure full of very inventive "purple prose", wasn't it. What a distinctive voice that man had.

(...but it didn't contain that shower scene I talked about or any other nude or even semi-nude scene, and so I don't see how posting it might have violated any of the "standards" of this website?...and while it DOES contain a high level of violence, as I'm sure you know, we Americans have always thought THAT was quite alright, but heaven FORBID someone showing the naked human form on film, RIGHT?!) ;)

There are several versions of the trailer, some more explicit than others.

Yeah, I particularly enjoyed the extended wordless shower scenes that follow the clapboard bearing the name of the film. The lead actress actually seems to get kind of fed up and wanders off after a bit.

Can't wait for Criterion to put this one out.

Ah yeah, NOW I've clicked on the other one which Lorna here is talkin' about...the one with the clapboard that includes those silent shower scenes, and one which I wouldn't exactly call a "trailer" for the film.

(...it actually looked more like some of the rushes from the film that somebody had saved for posterity...THANKFULLY!!!)

The film was on youtube a few years ago, but I remember seeing it on Showtime (or some cable channel) back in the early 80s. Before then, I had only see Phyllis Davis as a regular on the tv show Vega$.

Yep, that's pretty much all I remembered her from too.

(...Dan Tanna's secretary)

"Midnight Express"

Just say no, kids.

EDIT: Just noticed that Spence got this in as an "Honorable Mention". C'mon, Spence. One of the most chilling, harrowing movies of any genre deserves more than Honorable Mention.

I mean, sure, it's no "Untamed Youth", but, still...

• Like 1

Yep, that's pretty much all I remembered her from too.

(...Dan Tanna's secretary)

Now that I think about it, she also appeared on Love American Style, often in those quickie skits between the night's episodes. She was usually showcased in a bikini - can't imagine why.

Now that I think about it, she also appeared on Love American Style, often in those quickie skits between the night's episodes. She was usually showcased in a bikini - can't imagine why.

Yep, I'll bet it's Phyllis in the bikini who at the 25 second mark of this clip walks past a pre-Angel Stuart Margolin on the beach here...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings