Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

David Shepard (1940-2017)

drednm

Generous, dedicated, really nice. In short, a mensch.  I'd known David since he acquired the Blackhawk Collection.  He has done some remarkable work in preservation of silent cinema.  A lot of folks will miss him. Fortunately for films in distress he has a legion of talented colleagues following in his footsteps.

• Like 1

I had just last week sent David a note after finally watching La Roue (1923), one of his greatest restorations. This nearly 4 and a half hour film is a true masterpiece from director Abel Gance. David and Eric Lange used several source prints to reconstruct Gance's vision (originally a 12-hour film). What David left us is a masterpiece of film technique, a visually stunning film experience with great performances by Severin-Mars and Ivy Close. This is the closest thing we'll ever see to Gance's original vision.

Sadly, I learned of David's hospitalization a few days after sending him my thanks for his work on this magnificent film.

• Like 2

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings