Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Share your unpopular opinions here!

If somebody asked me about Star Wars I would say isn't that the movie with Debbie Reynolds' daughter that they copied from the Kurosawa movie?

But it was a youth phenomenon just like Harry Potter. The national and local news would always cover the openings of these movies and you'd see lines and lines at movie theaters in major cities all over the world.

I thought that was nice seeing that young people had something safe and harmless to do.

But I never missed the Star Trek movies-- I even watched the one that Spock directed.

"Darn-it Shatner, I'm an outer-space Vulcan, not a Hollywood director."

You could always get into a fight trying to get in to see Star Wars.

Yes. It was a throwback to those sci-fi adventure serials of the past - but updated with first rate production values. The 70's was a pretty unique decade in film - a lot of troubling, disturbing content. Quite a serious decade.

The public was certainly ready for that.

But it was a youth phenomenon just like Harry Potter. The national and local news would always cover the openings of these movies and you'd see lines and lines at movie theaters in major cities all over the world.

I thought that was nice seeing that young people had something safe and harmless to do.

But I never missed the Star Trek movies-- I even watched the one that Spock directed.

"Darn-it Shatner, I'm an outer-space Vulcan, not a Hollywood director."

STAR WARS is just an average movie, really. What has made it "legend" is the waves of fans creating a cult favorite out of it. The story is a simple basic western/adventure type serial set in SPACE-with special effects - similar to the Greek classic Ray Harryhousen films of the time. It was new retro.

I was 16 that summer, and it was fun going to the theater to see a movie that got people whooping & hollering like the old classic movies. That's all people want, to just enjoy a story on film. Hollywood just doesn't "get" that these days....

Star Wars has to be taken in context. In the early 70's, TV was dominant with the Norman Lear sit coms, tv movies, police series etc... The movie studios were having troubles. That's one reason the black action films were so numerous in those days. They were the only films making any money. It was said that Shaft (1971) was the only profitable film MGM released that year, for example. 

Jaws, Star Wars, Close Encounters of the Third Kind were ground breaking for special effects that hadn't really advanced since the 50's. It was something you could not get on television. Also, it was the beginning of one ticket, one viewing at the theaters. Because with lines around the block (which I waited in), people were willing to pay the price to see the new technology. Those films really were able to fill up the big screen. 

The fact that the plots weren't A+, not everyone is going to the theater to see King Lear or Mildred Pierce every time. Sometimes you just want popcorn, junior mints and some action. 

The first few shows of "Mama's Family" were OK, but without Carol's "Eunice" it lacked it's full vibe.

The most APT description of any TV show was the one they always gave SEINFELD----

"A show about nothing".  Sho 'nuff!

Nothing funny...

Nothing worth the time.....

Nothing to see THERE.

Sepiatone

Ok, I've been diligently reading this thread from its beginning, resisting the urge to reply to a number of opinions I disagree with.  (I have this idea that I should read all of a thread before commenting on it.)

But this is too much !

Seinfeld is the funniest sit-com ever. I own the entire series on DVD, and I just started re-watching it a little while ago. It's still hilarious.

And, contrary to its tag-line, it is NOT "about nothing".It's about people, human nature - it's about how funny human beings can be.  

In fact, I would say that Seinfeld is about something more than most sit-coms.  

And even if it weren't, why does a comedy show have to be "about something"?  Comedy shows should be about making us laugh, which Seinfeld does completely and wonderfully. It's not "dumb", it's the opposite - one of the smartest sit-coms of all time.

Some of its episodes I've seen several times, and each one still makes me laugh out loud.

I've never understood the poe-faces who don't like it.

• Like 2

Ok, I've been diligently reading this thread from its beginning, resisting the urge to reply to a number of opinions I disagree with.  (I have this idea that I should read all of a thread before commenting on it.)

But this is too much !

Seinfeld is the funniest sit-com ever. I own the entire series on DVD, and I just started re-watching it a little while ago. It's still hilarious.

And, contrary to its tag-line, it is NOT "about nothing".It's about people, human nature - it's about how funny human beings can be.  

And even if it weren't, why does a comedy show have to be "about something"?  Comedy shows should be about making us laugh, which Seinfeld does completely and wonderfully. It's not "dumb", it's the opposite - one of the smartest sit-coms of all time.

Some of its episodes I've seen several times, and each one still makes me laugh out loud.

s-071a0582a76356cf96091e4a459b18bc1d9214

• Like 1

But this is too much !

Not talking about anyone here - but I had two buddies who would always make a face whenever I'd tell either of them about a Seinfeld episode I'd just watched.

Every time - they made it clear that they didn't want to hear it. Wouldn't laugh at the descriptions I told. Switched the conversation to something else as fast as they could.

That they were both rather anti-Jew probably had nothing at all to do with it, I'm sure.

• Like 1

I love 'The Gum'. Cracks me right up.

Old Costanza rival Lloyd Braun has had a nervous breakdown and Kramer wants everyone to be very careful about hurting his feelings by mentioning it. Lloyd has become quite lovable since the breakdown and offers everyone a piece of Chinese gum. Jerry gets into a position where he has to wear glasses that make him blind so as not to hurt Lloyd's feelings and because he can't see what he's looking at gives Lloyd a 50 dollar bill to buy some gum - Lloyd comes back with a ****load of gum and asks "am I crazy or is that a lot of gum?"; Elaine loses a button from her blouse so as not to sit with Lloyd in the movies and ends up titillating not just Lloyd but the whole neighborhood with her cleavage exposure; Kramer eats a hot dog that's 20 years old because the snack bar attendant asks Lloyd if he's crazy for ordering it; Elaine complains about a storekeeper using a hose to wash the sidewalk instead of sweeping, and sure enough Kramer pukes in front of the store because of biting into the 20 year-old hot dog - and on and on it goes.

An absolute comedy classic.

There are dozens of episodes like this.

db, you left out the funniest part of all. I mean, every single "bit" from that episode is hilarious, and I agree with everything you said about it.

But unless I'm mistaken ( and I might be, I haven't got to that season yet in my re-watchings)  in the same episode, George encounters a woman who thinks he's mentally ill.. (And arguably, he is. Although I always loved George.) Every time he convinces her he's sane, something happens to make him look totally crazy ! Which for some reason this woman always witnesses.

I remember, I just couldn't stop laughing at that episode's final scene, in which George, in order to help promote the old movie theatre, dresses up as King Henry VIII and marches up the street to the theatre. And of course, the woman who suspected he was a "nutter" sees him.

What makes it so deliciously funny is, that's such a cliche about insane people - - they think they're Henry VIII, or Napoleon, or somebody.

• Like 1

Not talking about anyone here - but I had two buddies who would always make a face whenever I'd tell either of them about a Seinfeld episode I'd just watched.

Every time - they made it clear that they didn't want to hear it. Wouldn't laugh at the descriptions I told. Switched the conversation to something else as fast as they could.

That they were both rather anti-Jew probably had nothing at all to do with it, I'm sure.

Right. I don't know about that last, but I have a very good friend, who in every other way I respect.

But she never liked Seinfeld !  We just "agreed to disagree" - I just don't talk about it with her.

In every other way she has excellent taste.

Yes.

That you missed it is surprising - it's a running gag that was referenced many, many times comedically.

The philosophy behind it is that Jerry - whose apartment is central to all - is the ever-generous and tolerant success for his struggling friends to mooch off.

Comedies like Seinfeld and Everybody Loves Raymond have the same unrealistic "flaw" to them that makes all the stories happen - the central characters don't have sense enough to simply lock the door. Friends and family are continually bursting in and problems ensue. So many unpleasant happenings for Jerry and Deborah and Raymond would be eliminated just by locking the door. 

That issue is addressed in the episode called "The Keys". Jerry gets fed up with Kramer bursting in on him any time of day or night, not to mention Jerry entering his own apartment to find Kramer there, eating or having a bath or entertaining a lady friend.

Of course, the problem isn't really solved, it just leads up to the very funny ensuing episodes in which Kramer, hurt by Jerry's seizing the K man's key to his apartment ( not to mention his penchant for "yearning") takes off for L. A.

But I'm with you, and I"m surprised our friend Tom is bothered by the food thing. It IS a running joke - they even ( especially Kramer) have the nerve to complain when Jerry doesn't have a certain kind of cereal , or a special brand of chips, or whatever. I've always thought it was funny, in some way even charming, that one of the first things Kramer, George, and Elaine tend to do when they enter Jerry's apartment is open the fridge.

• Like 1

db, you left out the funniest part of all. I mean, every single "bit" from that episode is hilarious, and I agree with everything you said about it.

But unless I'm mistaken ( and I might be, I haven't got to that season yet in my re-watchings)  in the same episode, George encounters a woman who thinks he's mentally ill.. (And arguably, he is. Although I always loved George.) Every time he convinces her he's sane, something happens to make him look totally crazy ! Which for some reason this woman always witnesses.

I remember, I just couldn't stop laughing at that episode's final scene, in which George, in order to help promote the old movie theatre, dresses up as King Henry VIII and marches up the street to the theatre. And of course, the woman who suspected he was a "nutter" sees him.

What makes it so deliciously funny is, that's such a cliche about insane people - - they think they're Henry VIII, or Napoleon, or somebody.

"He probably couldn't see me because he doesn't wear glasses".

"But that man was wearing glasses."

"Don't you see - he was just wearing them to fool Lloyd Braun."

How many times does George refer to Lloyd Braun as he tries to convince her that he's not a mental case?

Wasn't there a woman on a horse at one point when he says something about "she stole 20 dollars from me" and she asks "why" and he says "because of Lloyd Braun." ?

• Like 1

My unpopular opinion:

She was a brilliant comedienne, and a fine all-around actress.

But "Bombshell" Jean Harlow isn't the timeless beauty that many attest her to be.

She was very much a product of a look and style that was in vogue at the time, and her own magnificent ability to pull the act off. (She like Bette Davis, was such a great actress that she could convince the audience she was far more beautiful than she actually was.)

Now, I know "beauty" doesn't come strictly from the physical form. But for the sake of my argument, I use a purely aesthetic barometer, one that doesn't factor in character, mind and personality. And Jean Harlow just doesn't do it for me in that metric.

I agree, Winslow. Jean Harlow was many good things, but classically beautiful wasn't one of them.

Her style of looks was "cute", rather than "pretty" or "beautiful". 

And, as you acknowledge, there was something very likable about her that made the audience side with her.  I've heard she was a really sweet person in real life.

That issue is addressed in the episode called "The Keys". Jerry gets fed up with Kramer bursting in on him any time of day or night, not to mention Jerry entering his own apartment to find Kramer there, eating or having a bath or entertaining a lady friend.

Of course, the problem isn't really solved, it just leads up to the very funny ensuing episodes in which Kramer, hurt by Jerry's seizing the K man's key to his apartment ( not to mention his penchant for "yearning") takes off for L. A.

But I'm with you, and I"m surprised our friend Tom is bothered by the food thing. It IS a running joke - they even ( especially Kramer) have the nerve to complain when Jerry doesn't have a certain kind of cereal , or a special brand of chips, or whatever. I've always thought it was funny, in some way even charming, that one of the first things Kramer, George, and Elaine tend to do when they enter Jerry's apartment is open the fridge.

"Jerry, where's the mustard?"

"It's right there in the fridge."

"All I can find is this yellow stuff."

"Well, that's what I got."

"That's not mustard - I have to have real mustard - Dijon."

"Yeah - I really should try to keep more of your favorites on hand."

Changing topic a little...two short lists of things I dislike, that most people seem to favour:

Movies:

I hate epics ! I hate movies that span decades in time, and that usually last at least 8 hours ( or so it feels - most of them are actually about 3 hours long, but that's one hour too many.)

I cannot connect to characters and events that keep changing every 10 minutes. And they take themselves so seriously, these long "important" films.

some examples:

Gone With the Wind  (yup)

Lawrence of Arabia

Dr.Zhivago    ( David Lean, what happened to you?)

All those Bible epics

And now a list of things I really dislike that most people seem to adore:

Teddy bears

Sunny days ( ok, I don't mind days of sun and cloud; it's the clear blue sky sunny days I don't like; they're harsh....and Dargo, I would not be happy in Sedona, where I have the impression the sun shines all day, every day...I need rain)

Candy  - like jelly beans and gummi bears  - just sticky coloured sugar. Now, chocolate is something different altogether. Chocolate, I love.

Beyonce. also Kenye West. also Katy Perry.   not my idea of music

John Ford movies  ( with a few exceptions, like The Informer and The Grapes of Wrath and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance.)

Steak.  I can't be bothered to do all that cutting.

Beaches - - too much sun, and no trees.

There's more, but that's enough crochety-ness for one post.

I wish Tiffany Vasquez would familiarize herself on the proper pronunciations of some actors and actresses names.  Two she mispronounced are Victor McLaglen - she said McLAGlen (like jet lag), when it is pronounced like McLoughlin.  Another name she said wrong was Franchot Tone.  She said FranCHOT, when it is FranCHO. 

She is stiff, is obviously reading off a Teleprompter, and I think they could have done better.  Ben and Robert are amazing, although Robert has been MIA lately.  I realize he is in his 80's, so I hope he is doing well.

• Like 1

I agree, Winslow. Jean Harlow was many good things, but classically beautiful wasn't one of them.

Her style of looks was "cute", rather than "pretty" or "beautiful". 

And, as you acknowledge, there was something very likable about her that made the audience side with her.  I've heard she was a really sweet person in real life.

In her time, she was considered beautiful.   "Cute"?  Never.  Too much sex appeal to be cute.  Who do you consider beautiful?  I think  Loretta Young (in her earlier movies though -  her face seemed to have changed somehow, I can't put my finger on it, though. 

I wish Tiffany Vasquez would familiarize herself on the proper pronunciations of some actors and actresses names. Two she mispronounced are Victor McLaglen - she said McLAGlen (like jet lag), when it is pronounced like McLoughlin. Another name she said wrong was Franchot Tone. She said FranCHOT, when it is FranCHO.

She is stiff, is obviously reading off a Teleprompter, and I think they could have done better..

Welcome Romanov.

Love your user name by the way.

However, I have to let you know that this is a thread for UNpopular opinions and the sentiments you express are FAR from that.

99 to 1, we are with you, Ro.

And again: welcome.

I hate epics ! I hate movies that span decades in time, and that usually last at least 8 hours ( or so it feels - most of them are actually about 3 hours long, but that's one hour too many.)  

And, do they REALLY need to include an overture, entr'acte and exit music?

Changing topic a little...two short lists of things I dislike, that most people seem to favour:

Movies:

I cannot connect to characters and events that keep changing every 10 minutes. And they take themselves so seriously, these long "important" films.

some examples:

Gone With the Wind  (yup)

Lawrence of Arabia

Dr.Zhivago    ( David Lean, what happened to you?)

All those Bible epics

And now a list of things I really dislike that most people seem to adore:

Teddy bears

Sunny days ( ok, I don't mind days of sun and cloud; it's the clear blue sky sunny days I don't like; they're harsh....and Dargo, I would not be happy in Sedona, where I have the impression the sun shines all day, every day...I need rain)

Candy  - like jelly beans and gummi bears  - just sticky coloured sugar. Now, chocolate is something different altogether. Chocolate, I love.

Beyonce. also Kenye West. also Katy Perry.   not my idea of music

Beaches - - too much sun, and no trees.

I haven't seen many of the epics (except I think I may have muddled through Cleopatra once).  I think I find it hard to find time to dedicate that much time to watching the film (though, I can watch multiple movies in a row).  I do want to watch Gone With the Wind once--even though I feel like I have already seen it, but I really haven't.  Charlton Heston seemed to make a lot of epics--all dull.  I remember in school (I can't remember which class.  Maybe Spanish?? Maybe AP European History?? I don't even remember!) we had to watch El Cid.  Bor-ing! I cannot remember anything about the film, except I think Sophia Loren was in it? 

I'm curious as to your dislike of teddy bears.  It seems so random.  My "teddy bear" is a 1984 Care Bear-- Cheer Bear to be exact.  She used to be pink with a rainbow on her tummy; now she's grey with a rainbow on her tummy. 

I do not have the biggest sweet tooth, but I do have a weakness for Sour Patch Kids.  They're my go-to movie theater treat! 

I dislike Beyonce too.  Yuck! What's up with the cult-like following for her? 

You should visit the Oregon beaches.  They'd be right up your alley.  In Oregon, we don't even say "we're going to the beach," we say, "we're going to the coast." If you go to a beach in Oregon, and it's not raining, you're lucky.  When packing for the trip to the coast, it doesn't even occur to me to pack a bathing suit.  On the beach, if I see someone wearing a bathing suit, I think "wow. They're optimistic," or, I think, "wow, they must be from out of state." In Oregon, getting a room to watch thunderstorms on the beach is a state past time.  

It's been raining here for two weeks now.  I'd love a blue-sky, cloud-free day.  I have a three day weekend and I think it's supposed to rain all weekend. I went grocery shopping today during the break in the rain. 

• Like 1

....I'm curious as to your dislike of teddy bears.  It seems so random.  My "teddy bear" is a 1984 Care Bear-- Cheer Bear to be exact.  She used to be pink with a rainbow on her tummy; now she's grey with a rainbow on her tummy. 

Speedy, I'm kind of uncomfortable explaining why I dislike teddy bears, since so many people - and hey, you're one of them - love them. I don't want to be offensive about it.

I never liked them, even as a kid. In fact, I don't like and never did, any type of stuffed animal toy. But teddy bears were the worst. I also dislike the "Winnie the Pooh" stories - and I love children's books !  You may remember, Winnie the Pooh was a teddy bear.

I dunno, there's just something so inane about them to me. Sentimental. Or maybe it's just that I never had a teddy bear as a child myself, so I can't relate to the kind of nostalgic/ sentimental feeling many people have for them. And I never missed them, I never wanted a teddy bear.

Also - and this might really offend a lot of people, and if it offends you, I'm genuinely sorry, because I consider you a friend here. But the thing about teddy bears that I dislike the most is how people buy them and put them on the site where some poor murdered kid lived, in some futile attempt to demonstrate that they feel sad for the kid's family. I hate that - teddy bears, dolls, "stuff", being dumped on the front lawn of the poor family's home because people who never even knew the kid somehow think they have to "do something" to show they feel bad for the family. It's like people want to experience emotion, that kind of grief, vicariously. To me there's something creepy about it.

Obviously this is not to say that I do not feel terrible when I hear these tragic stories. But to me there's something cheap and silly about dumping a teddy bear where the kid lived to show your sympathy for the family. It just seems sentimental and dumb.

I have little doubt that what I just said will make some people here, including some I consider my friends, think I am nasty and heartless. Not to mention disrespectful of the teddy bear contributers. But that's what I feel about it.

...And now a list of things I really dislike that most people seem to adore:

Teddy bears

Well, in THAT case MissW, you should have visited Sedona this past Christmas, 'cause Christmas Eve we got 5 inches of snow here in beautiful picturesque Sedona. And, when it snows up here, and somethin' that usually happens about three times every winter, it's THE most beautiful and picturesque time of the entire year.

OR, you should have come and visited the last few days, 'cause it's been raining cats and dogs(not literally of course) around here lately.

(...and which of course kind'a ticked me off yesterday especially, and 'cause Friday is one of my tennis days...and I HATE it when my tennis is cancelled...that's how I increase that ol' endorphin level of mine, ya see...and that helps keeps me a little less cranky than I'm naturally inclined to be) ;)

• Like 1

Speedy, I'm kind of uncomfortable explaining why I dislike teddy bears, since so many people - and hey, you're one of them - love them. I don't want to be offensive about it.

I never liked them, even as a kid. In fact, I don't like and never did, any type of stuffed animal toy. But teddy bears were the worst. I also dislike the "Winnie the Pooh" stories - and I love children's books !  You may remember, Winnie the Pooh was a teddy bear.

I dunno, there's just something so inane about them to me. Sentimental. Or maybe it's just that I never had a teddy bear as a child myself, so I can't relate to the kind of nostalgic/ sentimental feeling many people have for them. And I never missed them, I never wanted a teddy bear.

Also - and this might really offend a lot of people, and if it offends you, I'm genuinely sorry, because I consider you a friend here. But the thing about teddy bears that I dislike the most is how people buy them and put them on the site where some poor murdered kid lived, in some futile attempt to demonstrate that they feel sad for the kid's family. I hate that - teddy bears, dolls, "stuff", being dumped on the front lawn of the poor family's home because people who never even knew the kid somehow think they have to "do something" to show they feel bad for the family. It's like people want to experience emotion, that kind of grief, vicariously. To me there's something creepy about it.

Obviously this is not to say that I do not feel terrible when I hear these tragic stories. But to me there's something cheap and silly about dumping a teddy bear where the kid lived to show your sympathy for the family. It just seems sentimental and dumb.

I have little doubt that what I just said will make some people here, including some I consider my friends, think I am nasty and heartless. Not to mention disrespectful of the teddy bear contributers. But that's what I feel about it.

I am definitely not offended that you don't like teddy bears.  I can understand the morbid aspect that you mentioned.  In my defense, my "teddy bear" isn't a traditional teddy bear, it's a novelty toy based on a 1980s kids cartoon that is based on a greeting cards series!  I will say that Teddy Ruxpin from the 80s, a talking teddy bear that read stories, was totally creepy and yes I owned one! 

I would never think of you as being nasty and heartless.  You're one of my favorite contributors and friends here on the board! 

:-) 

May your days be teddy bear free! 

• Like 1

About fifty years ago I spent a day at the Del Mar Fair. Many of the games (knocking down all the ducks in a row or throwing footballs through moving tires on a pendulem, etc.) provided a wonderful teddy bar as the prize. Everyone wanted one. See folks walking around with teddy bears drew envy. I'm sure, missw, this would have disgusted you no end. I certainly wanted one at the time but I never did get one. I've spent my whole life building the case that if I had won one my life would have taken a turn for the worse. I never wanted one of the **** things anyway. Yeah, right!

• Like 1

Clowns are NOT funny. They're creepy.

And if I ever saw a teddy bear clown, that would creep me out, too.

The fact that Barnum and Baileys is closing down, and there may soon be unemployed clowns, still in full makeup, roaming our streets has been the source of a few nightmares for me lately.

• Like 4

Don't apologize MissW.  I'm with you on this.  It all seems a terrible waste, and as empty and phony as all the "fakebook" morons who post "You're in my PRAYERS"  as if they still, like I did when just a little tyke, SAY "their prayers" like before getting into bed or something.  Personally, if I ever was faced with such a tragedy, I'd prefer people just placed a single flower on the site where the child was run down by a car or maybe just on my front lawn.  Something simple.  Sure, I'll feel better by getting the sympathy, but the more the extravagence WON'T assuage my grief more.  It's somewhat akin to what my Mother told us when planning her funeral( she had cancer and was resigned to the inevitable).  She wanted us to get the least expensive funeral possible.  She always had the feeling that expensive funerals were used to ease any GUILT the survivors had about not being better to the deceased when they were alive, and doesn't make the deceased any less DEAD.  In other words, they make THEM feel better but does nothing for the corpse.  How you feel in your HEART matters more than any fancy DISPLAY.

I never got it about clowns.  Was never "creeped out" by them and after a certain age quit being amused by them.  The ONLY thing about the circus that DID creep me out were the trapeze artists and acrobats.  Something about grown men in tights creeped me out.  STILL does!

I also don't see how a Teddy bear can be anything but harmless.  But not liking them is akin to not liking anything else.  Just what one likes or not.  Both my girls had a variety of stuffed animals, but the younger one was the girl who did more than just leave them up on a shelf.  She had one that was made wearing a little CLOWN suit that she took EVERYWHERE with her.  I actually felt sorry for the little b u g g e r.  In no time she managed to get it looking like it was found in the middle of the freeway.  And it was NEVER taken outside!

She HAD to sleep with ALL the stuffed animals in her bed, and when I first saw ET and the scene with ET's face in the middle of all those stuffed toys in the closet I laughed, being reminded of my daughter in bed with all her animals and HER face poking out from the middle of them all.

She also, when VERY little, had a little rubber like pink bear squeeze toy that she walked around with one of it's feet in her mouth(she was still teething at that time).  We always knew where she was or when she was coming our way because of the steady "squeek, squeek, squeek" it made as she was chewing on it while walking around the house.  :D

I have to stop now as my watering eyes are starting to burn.

Sepiatone