Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Share your unpopular opinions here!

Also - and this might really offend a lot of people, and if it offends you, I'm genuinely sorry, because I consider you a friend here. But the thing about teddy bears that I dislike the most is how people buy them and put them on the site where some poor murdered kid lived, in some futile attempt to demonstrate that they feel sad for the kid's family. I hate that - teddy bears, dolls, "stuff", being dumped on the front lawn of the poor family's home because people who never even knew the kid somehow think they have to "do something" to show they feel bad for the family. It's like people want to experience emotion, that kind of grief, vicariously. To me there's something creepy about it.

Obviously this is not to say that I do not feel terrible when I hear these tragic stories. But to me there's something cheap and silly about dumping a teddy bear where the kid lived to show your sympathy for the family. It just seems sentimental and dumb.

Totally with you on this.  Dumping all of those dolls, stuffed toys, etc. on lawns and on public spaces creeps me out.  It's as though the folks who do this just want to "be part of the drama."  Yuck.

• Like 2

All these makeshift memorials chock full of 'stuff' all around.  Even in the middle of nowhere where I reside there are still some of these phony 'tributes' with junk piled up near the highway.  → And maybe the deceased teenager who wrapped his car around a tree at 90 mph was just coming back from a coke buy and couldn't wait to get back home so he could snort his dinner.  BUT . . . Junior Druggie Speedster didn't make the curve and done got hisself good and deaded.  The cops then scraped his mangled remains off the concrete abutment nearby and put 'em in a shoe box to bring home to Momma. 

I'll concede I may be a tad cynical.  

All these makeshift memorials chock full of 'stuff' all around.  Even in the middle of nowhere where I reside there are still some of these phony 'tributes' with junk piled up near the highway.  → And maybe the deceased teenager who wrapped his car around a tree at 90 mph was just coming back from a coke buy and couldn't wait to get back home so he could snort his dinner.  BUT . . . Junior Druggie Speedster didn't make the curve and done got hisself good and deaded.  The cops then scraped his mangled remains off the concrete abutment nearby and put 'em in a shoe box to bring home to Momma. 

I'll concede I may be a tad cynical.  

Uh-huh..."cynical" alright, Mr.G.

(...and also a devout Darwinist, I'd say too) ;)

I have to admit that I was not completely disappointed when Willi, the

pill popping ersatz Ubermensch, persuaded curly locked dancing

queen Gus to exit starboard from the lifeboat to go in search of

an underwater Roseland and his dancing partner Rosie, and all

those jive talking dancing hepcats. Billy's lachrymose reminiscences

were getting to be a bit much, especially in that confined environment. 

I'll bet if he could have known, Al Magarulian would have given Fritz

a discreet thumbs up.

What the frig ?......

I have to admit that I was not completely disappointed when Willi, the

pill popping ersatz Ubermensch, persuaded curly locked dancing

queen Gus to exit starboard from the lifeboat to go in search of

an underwater Roseland and his dancing partner Rosie, and all

those jive talking dancing hepcats. Billy's lachrymose reminiscences

were getting to be a bit much, especially in that confined environment. 

I'll bet if he could have known, Al Magarulian would have given Fritz

a discreet thumbs up.

What the frig ?......

LOL

Yeah MissW, how Vautrin got FROM spending relaxing days at his sun-kissed beach while listening to Bing Crosby croon that little ditty about teddy bears, and TO that Hitchcock flick, specifically that part in it where Nazi Walter Slezak(btw Vautrin...I don't think Walter's character could rightly be called an "Ubermensch"...well, at least not in the classic Yiddish sense, anyway) talks the feverish Bill Bendix into goin' to see his Rosie in Davy Jones' locker, is beyond me too!

(...maybe our friend Vautrin has been spendin' TOO much time out there in the hot sun lately, eh?!) ;)

LOL

Yeah MissW, how Vautrin got FROM spending relaxing days at his sun-kissed beach while listening to Bing Crosby croon that little ditty about teddy bears, and TO that Hitchcock flick, specifically that part in it where Nazi Walter Slezak(btw Vautrin...I don't think Walter's character could rightly be called an "Ubermensch"...well, at least not in the classic Yiddish sense, anyway) talks the feverish Bill Bendix into goin' to see his Rosie in Davy Jones' locker, is beyond me too!

(...maybe our friend Vautrin has been spendin' TOO much time out there in the hot sun lately, eh?!) ;)

Well I figured it would likely be unpopular, though it was partly made in

jest. Ubermensch is a German word and Willi was an ersatz one because

he relied on pep pills and drinking his own sweat (yuck). The mild mannered

Rittenhouse really lost his cool when he kept hitting Willi on the noggin

with Gus's shoe. Ouch.

LOL

Well I figured it would likely be unpopular, though it was partly made in

jest. Ubermensch is a German word and Willi was an ersatz one because

he relied on pep pills and drinking his own sweat (yuck). The mild mannered

Rittenhouse really lost his cool when he kept hitting Willi on the noggin

with Gus's shoe. Ouch.

Well, gentlemen, I have seen LifeBoat, more than once. But I must confess that the eloquent Vautrin's allusion to that film escaped me.  I kept scrolling back to see if there were some post he was responding to that I'd missed.

I took a "beginner's" German course once, really enjoyed it, and can't remember a thing about it. 

Nicht ein Wort.

My unpopular opinion?

I find it unseemly when a person is the only one posting in their own thread. Waste of bandwidth space. Blah, blah, blah....

(unlike THIS thread which has several interesting observations)

That opinion isn't by any means upopular with ME Tiki.

Along with my sometimes mentioning of those who post something and then click on the "like" feature in THEIR OWN POSTS! :wacko:

As for what you mentioned....

It does come off as someone who has conversations with themselves.  The kind of person who other people move away from on the bus.   I used to joke about this sort of thing.  Like when someone would say, "You're NOT crazy if you talk to yourself.  It's when you talk to yourself and answer BACK is when you're crazy."

I used to reply to that with, "Not really then either.  I used to talk to and answer myself all the time.  But then one day I said something to me I didn't like, and I refuse to speak to me again until I APOLOGIZE!"  :D

Sepiatone

Recent posts on this thread have jogged my memory.  I remember a college course in German where, on the first day of class, the instructor casually mentioned how Germans tied their shoes . . . in little Nazis, of course.  :blink:

On to the next semester.

I had a roly poly German professor who looked like he had

just come from the Black Forest after a really heavy meal.

Toward the end of the term he read some of his own poems,

which were on the dark side and a bit unsettling.

So the roly-poly German prof wrote some dark and disturbing poems?  Hmm . . . here's a poem for your perusal.  It is a bit long, but stick with it.   

"HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL"

A man emerges from his house of decay

The trees are all dead

The leaves . . . on the ground

No birds sing here

No animals stir

The staleness in the air

is not easily dismissed

As dead flowers bloom with the blackness of hate

The blue death has come

With the cold wind of autumn

It does not illuminate

It Only Thickens

Encroaches

-Silently-

Leaving burns on the frozen faces

Of the fever-gripped and forgotten

Pervasive melancholia grips the land

Massacre-ing the virginal innocence of youth

Twisted desires of the flesh bring infertility to all

Groping for the light

The seeping drip of Hell in to our own dark souls

It is the sacrifice of the human spirit

To a god with a cloven hoof

That tears ragged skin

From a ravaged face

There is no rest

No peace

No grace by which we could exist

Can permeate the impenetrable spectre of the grey fog

And its eternal permanence over a desolate Earth

Horrors beyond human comprehension

Reach from beyond the Grave

To pull

And tear

And choke

the fabric of our sanity

Woe be to the neophyte --

brimming with good intentions --

Who ventures to this barren landscape of Eternal Night

Shapes of vague abstraction

Form in the misty gloom

Idiot colors filter through the muddy darkness

The unclean lake of muck and mire

Spews forth age-old evil

From deep within

Horned demons gore the undefiled

Their claws of wickedness

Severing the arteries of purity

Their vulgar fangs dripping with the sharpness of freshly drawn blood

As the scent of sulfur suffocates the pleading innocents. 

A variation on the Norman Bates line------"A man's best friend is himself".

To quote the theme to one of the Bond movies,

Nobody does it better

Makes me feel sad for the rest

Nobody does it half as good as me

Baby I'm the best.

Here's an unpopular opinion......I think one of the most overrated actresses of all time is Grace Kelly. Besides her ridiculous diction (which I presume she had to learn to overcome her Philly accent), I still think the Academy was out of their minds to vote for her over Judy Garland in A Star is Born.  

• Like 5

Here's an unpopular opinion......I think one of the most overrated actresses of all time is Grace Kelly. Besides her ridiculous diction (which I presume she had to learn to overcome her Philly accent), I still think the Academy was out of their minds to vote for her over Judy Garland in A Star is Born.  

I don't care for her much, either, and it's completely because of her diction. I just can't get past it.

• Like 2

Deplorable as Michael Richards' behaviour was when he had that highly publicized racist outburst in a nightclub a number of years ago, I feel sorry for him over the fact that his career never recovered as a result of it.

It's not as if he indulged in a series of incidents of a similar nature. It was a one time occurrence. Sometimes the public will forgive an celebrity for a momentary lack of judgment. This was clearly not one of those times.

I admit I've never heard the particulars of what he yelled, but, apparently, it was pretty vile.

So the roly-poly German prof wrote some dark and disturbing poems?  Hmm . . . here's a poem for your perusal.  It is a bit long, but stick with it.   

I can't recall them in detail, but they were more nuanced

and understated, which made them a bit spookier.

Deplorable as Michael Richards' behaviour was when he had that highly publicized racist outburst in a nightclub a number of years ago, I feel sorry for him over the fact that his career never recovered as a result of it.

It's not as if he indulged in a series of incidents of a similar nature. It was a one time occurrence. Sometimes the public will forgive an celebrity for a momentary lack of judgment. This was clearly not one of those times.

I admit I've never heard the particulars of what he yelled, but, apparently, it was pretty vile.

No, it wasn't vile.

He repeated "the n word" several times in a portion of his stand-up, trying to make the point that it's only a word - a word used all the time by black people in show business - and that it shouldn't still have the power that it has any longer.

He miscalculated. Lots of people want to get mad whether there's a point to something or not.

I've seen Michael in a couple of things here and there since - but you're right that his TV career as a regular cast member in anything is probably done. Producers won't want to risk protests from the unforgiving.

He's pretty wealthy, so hopefully there's comfort in that.

• Like 2

About fifty years ago I spent a day at the Del Mar Fair. Many of the games (knocking down all the ducks in a row or throwing footballs through moving tires on a pendulem, etc.) provided a wonderful teddy bar as the prize. Everyone wanted one. See folks walking around with teddy bears drew envy. I'm sure, missw, this would have disgusted you no end. I certainly wanted one at the time but I never did get one. I've spent my whole life building the case that if I had won one my life would have taken a turn for the worse. I never wanted one of the **** things anyway. Yeah, right!

Maybe my family was there that day.  We went almost every year, and once my father played one of those games (they always seemed rigged) to try to win a stuffed toy.  (Can't remember if it was a teddy bear--I vaguely remember it being more cartoony.)  He finally won, but was crestfallen to realize he'd won only one and there were two daughters looking at him expectantly.  Somehow we must have shared it, but I still remember how disappointed he seemed not to win one for each of us.  I must ask him if he remembers this!

• Like 1