Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VivLeighFan

Share your unpopular opinions here!

As I mentioned, I thought PED's would be their drug issues. It would seem to me that the "other" type of illegal drugs would just exacerbate the recovery process of injuries, not to mention interfering with the dancer's mood, stamina, memory and overall body look ( the look of a skinny dancer is much different than the look of a skinny drug user.)

Nobody said anything about "illegal" drugs.  Amphetamines and barbituates CAN be acquired by legal perscription.  They're only "illegal" when acquired by some other means.  And PED's can also be acquired by nefarious means, which would make them  just as "illegal".  All of my "speed" was pharmaceutical stuff that at sometime "fell off a truck".  ;)

And DGF---Pot is measured in OZs, not grams.  You must have been a nice little boy.  ;)

Sepiatone

And then there was that Black Swan movie.

I never would have thought of George Sanders or Tyrone Power as balletic.

I never would have thought of George Sanders or Tyrone Power as balletic.

Tyrone Power prancing about in those tight-tight pants during those fencing scenes in The Mark of Zorro could compete with any male ballet dancer in tights.

After all Ty Power had more than just a pretty face. LOL

Is it true that most ballet dancers eventually go insane?

It's from having to stand on their toes all the time. Most wish they were taller, so they wouldn't have to do that.

• Like 1

She wouldn't have had a typical Philly accent. Only the people from the relatively less wealthy neighborhoods had that. She grew up very wealthy in a mansion in East Falls. She obviously received Hollywood diction lessons.

I did read on more than one occasion that she did have a Philly accent, even so far as to say that it was "nasal".   To say that only people who didn't have money had an accent is kind of ridiculous.  I live in NYC, and whether you have money or not, you have a New Yawk accent.

So clearly I don't know how to use multiquote!

I'll just say LOL to "I never would have thought of George Sanders or Tyrone Power as balletic." and

"......or bulemic." !!

I, MR. G, am a part-time thinker.  I speak Truth to the masses with a capital 'T'. 

Just today -- three little minutes ago while reading other posts on this thread -- I concluded ballet dancers are thoughtful when they need to get up at night for any reason.  They walk on their tippy-toes so as not to wake anyone else up. 

Also . . . more Truth:  It's easy to win a popularity contest when you're the only one running. 

I, MR. G, am a part-time thinker.  I speak Truth to the masses with a capital 'T'. 

Part-time thinker, no doubt.  Because there IS no "T" in MASSES.  ;)

Sepiatone

Huh?  I know there's no 'T' is 'masses'.  → But there is a 't' in Truth and I capiTalized it.   

The day I become a 'full-time thinker' my head will explode, btw. 

I did not like the movie Picnic. While Kim Novak is very pleasing to look at, her acting was terrible, in my opinion, and I didn't like her character. I know this was an early film for her so I feel bad about judging her so harshly but it's the truth. William Holden was okay but a bit too old for the part and from what I've read that's not an unpopular opinion. The best part is definitely Rosalind Russell as the spinster but not even she could make me like this film. Overall, I found it boring and the dialogue was corny at times.

I did not like the movie Picnic. While Kim Novak is very pleasing to look at, her acting was terrible, in my opinion, and I didn't like her character. I know this was an early film for her so I feel bad about judging her so harshly but it's the truth. William Holden was okay but a bit too old for the part and from what I've read that's not an unpopular opinion. The best part is definitely Rosalind Russell as the spinster but not even she could make me like this film. Overall, I found it boring and the dialogue was corny at times.

Picnic was neither boring nor the dialogue corny in 1956.

But you're so right about the two leads - - they had to have somebodys that they could Bank on and boy,William Holden was too old.

And you're also right about Rosalind Russell. I just can't believe she wasn't nominated. She was so disgusting and needy in that role it really makes you understand why we needed a women's rights movement.

At times it was hard to look at her, but then who could turn their head away from her when she started down that sniveling road.

Picnic was neither boring nor the dialogue corny in 1956.

But you're so right about the two leads - - they had to have somebodys that they could Bank on and boy,William Holden was too old.

And you're also right about Rosalind Russell. I just can't believe she wasn't nominated. She was so disgusting and needy in that role it really makes you understand why we needed a women's rights movement.

At times it was hard to look at her, but then who could turn their head away from her when she started down that sniveling road.

I've read that the studio wanted to submit Rosalind Russell for Best Supporting Actress, but Russell only wanted to be submitted for Best Actress, though she wasn't the lead in that film.  I've read that Russell probably would have won, had she cooperated.

Not sure if that's true, but I've seen it stated in multiple sources.

• Like 1

I really like Picnic.  It's one of my favorite films.  Of course, overwrought, 1950s melodramas are one of my favorite subgenres of film. 

I do agree that William Holden was too old for the part, but I thought he did a great job and it didn't undermine my enjoyment of the film.

Kim Novak is a little wooden in this part as she tends to be in a lot of her movies, but I don't know what it is, she grew on me after awhile and I really like her.  I do feel bad for her character, Madge, in this film.  Here's this small town girl, stuck in this tiny town in Kansas.  Her single mom has practically gotten her married to Alan Benson, one of the wealthier men in town.  Madge doesn't feel anything for him.  I get the sense that she's staying in the relationship because her mother has pushed her into it.  I also get the sense that her mother married for love and then her husband abandoned her and his children.  To save her daughter from the same fate, Madge's mother pressures her to "marry up" and is afraid that Madge will lose him and thus, lose her and her family's chance at moving up in society.  It is apparent that Alan is only really into Madge because she's pretty.  She's a nice trophy on his arm.  Plus, Alan's father disapproves of Madge (most likely because of her lower social status), so he wants to be with her out of an act of defiance.

Throughout the film, Madge's mother makes a point of emphasizing that Madge needs to hurry up and commit to Alan before her looks start to fade.  Everyone in town pretty much makes a point of talking about how pretty Madge is.  Madge is resenting essentially being told that her worth is tied up in her looks.  Her sister Millie, while pretty, is seen as being smart, but is living in her sister's shadow because she isn't extraordinarily beautiful like her sister.  Millie resents everyone treating her like she's some charity case because she's smart, but not as pretty as Madge.  I identify most with the Millie character (not because of the "charity case" aspect).

Rosalind Russell's character, Rosemary, is heart breaking and she is fantastic in her part as the middle aged spinster who wants to be seen as beautiful like Madge and resents the lack of attention she receives.  She desperately wants to be married so that she can feel wanted and loved by someone.

I agree that some of the dialogue in Picnic is over the top, but the dialogue fits within the melodramatic motif.  The only line that is truly cringe-worthy, in my opinion, is when Alan says to Madge, "I want to see if you look real in the moonlight."  The Cliff Robertson in this film is so much different than the one in Gidget, four years later.  In Gidget, he's the cool, deep-voiced beach bum, The Big Kahuna.  In Picnic, he's the sniveling rich boy that can't believe the pretty lower class girl isn't swooning for him.

I love the "Moonlight" sequence between William Holden and Kim Novak at the picnic.  It is one of the most romantic and sexier scenes from the Golden Era. 

My only real beefs with this movie are:

1) Kim Novak's wig is ugly

2) How old is Mrs. Potts' mother?

• Like 2

I can't stand Norma Shearer. She's such a corny actress. Occasionally TCM will show the film The Divorcee in a pre-code collection and they always use that shot of her with her arms outstretched saying "Put 'em around me."  UGH! about as sexy as a liverwurst sandwich.

Her acting style is very silent-era type, overly wide gestures and fake facial expressions. (I think she was one of those actors who couldn't make the stylistic switch to talkies.)

Anyway, when I watch "The Women"  (1939) which I love, I sort of just take her along for the ride, but "Jungle Red" and all that really makes me crazy.

In terms of movie type, if Ethel Williams and her drips are anywhere in the vicinity, I won't be there.

I couldn't read all 25 page of this thread, so if somebody mentioned these two, my apologies.

I can't stand Norma Shearer. She's such a corny actress. Occasionally TCM will show the film The Divorcee in a pre-code collection and they always use that shot of her with her arms outstretched saying "Put 'em around me."  UGH! about as sexy as a liverwurst sandwich.

Her acting style is very silent-era type, overly wide gestures and fake facial expressions. (I think she was one of those actors who couldn't make the stylistic switch to talkies.)

Anyway, when I watch "The Women"  (1939) which I love, I sort of just take her along for the ride, but "Jungle Red" and all that really makes me crazy.

In terms of movie type, if Ethel Williams and her drips are anywhere in the vicinity, I won't be there.

I couldn't read all 25 page of this thread, so if somebody mentioned these two, my apologies.

Your opinion of Shearer might not be as unpopular as you think.    As for my own view;  I clearly see the 'silent actor' fakeness thing in a lot of her early talking performances.    I wasn't a fan at all,  but my friend was dating her grand niece and convinced me to give her another chance;   She was in many fine films with great actors like Leslie Howard and Fredric March and I have come to enjoy those films,  as well as over look her flaws. 

Though she appeared in many enjoyable (and a few great) movies, Barbara Stanwyck is a wildly overrated actress.

Though she appeared in many enjoyable (and a few great) movies, Barbara Stanwyck is a wildly overrated actress.

Eeh! I'll bet if Babs had been born and bred in Bristol instead of Brooklyn, you'd have been singin' a different tune about her all these years, Swithin ol' boy, you dyed-in-the-wool big Anglophile, you!  ;)

(...heck, in FACT, I'll bet she'd even be one of your favo(u)rate actresses ever in that case!)

• Like 1

Eeh! I'll bet if Babs had been born and bred in Bristol instead of Brooklyn, you'd have been singin' a different tune about her all these years, Swithin ol' boy, you dyed-in-the-wool big Anglophile, you!  ;)

(...heck, in FACT, I'll bet she'd even be one of your favo(u)rate actresses ever in that case!)

Now Dargo, don't start a rumour like that! BS is from Brooklyn, and my inclination as a native New Yorker would be to give her the benefit of the doubt (I love Mae West, also from that borough). And there are UK actresses whom I don't like that much. I just don't think BS is as good as some people think. In other words, a lot of the positive hype about BS is just BS!

(And I know my opinion is unpopular, hence its appearance in this thread.)

• Like 1

And speakin' o' which...

I wonder how unpopular my following opinion is going to be, and that would be:

British actors and actresses are often overrated as being superior to American actors and actresses.

(...I mean, just because their accents may sound a bit more fitting while reciting the Bard's prose, I've never thought that that alone would or should automatically imbue them with the mantle of "superiority" over their Yankee counterparts) 

Now Dargo, don't start a rumour like that! BS is from Brooklyn, and my inclination as a native New Yorker would be to give her the benefit of the doubt (I love Mae West, also from that borough). And there are UK actresses whom I don't like that much. I just don't think BS is as good as some people think. In other words, a lot of the positive hype about BS is just BS!

(And I know my opinion is unpopular, hence its appearance in this thread.)

Yeah, I know what you're saying here, Swithin ol' buddy. However, I'll once again state that in my younger days I too thought Stanwyck wasn't "such-a-much", but over these last couple of decades and the more I've revisited her performances on film, the more I've come to appreciate her talent.

(...and a talent she exhibited, especially via those tremendously expressive eyes of hers, in a wide variety of film genres, from comedies to dramas)

• Like 1

Yeah, I know what you're saying here, Swithin ol' buddy. However, I'll once again state that in my younger days I too thought Stanwyck wasn't "such-a-much", but over these last couple of decades and the more I've revisited her performances on film, the more I've come to appreciate her talent.

(...and a talent she exhibited, especially via those tremendously expressive eyes of hers, in a wide variety of film genres, from comedies to dramas)

I'm the opposite. When I was young and relatively ignorant, I thought BS was great. But I'm older and wiser now.

:)

I'm the opposite. When I was young and relatively ignorant, I thought BS was great. But I'm older and wiser now.

:)

Well then, I suppose in MY case, it's kind'a like those Dylan lyrics say.

(..."I was so much older THEN, I'm younger than that NOW")

;)

• Like 2

Tom Drake had an exciting, charismatic screen presence, as "the boy next door" in Meet Me in St. Louis completely stealing the film from all his co-stars.

tom-drake-2-sized.jpg

Oh, wait. This thread is about unpopular opinions, isn't it, not stupid ones.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1