Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

We of course cover film here, but who's seen the SAG winner "Stranger Things?"

spence

I must admit, I'm really only asking this question because I've been a bona-fide fan of (WINONA (Laura) HOROWITZ) (l97l-) for about 27yrs now, ever since I saw her in 1989's terrific cult comedy "Heathers" (***1/2)

Winona was of course in flix prior to that "Beetlejuice" (l988) ($71m.) (***)-(NOTE: A sequel is coming by the way) I'm not among those that goes for horoscopes, but she's also a fellow Scorpio, as I am. Her debut was the nice 1986 "Lucas" (***)

& Winona has been to "The Dance" twice to date Earning *Oscar nominations for 1993's perfectly detailed by *Scorsese "The Age of Innocence" ($32m.) starring *D. Day-Lewis & a luminous Michelle Pfeiffer. She won the Golden Globe but lost the *Oscar.(*Anna Paquin in "The Piano" won instead) & then was nommed for leading actress the following yr for another perfect adaptation 1994's "Little Women" ($50 million)

So, Hollywood loves a comeback story hence *Mel Gibson for "H. Ridge" this year & Winona was simultaneously up for a Globe & the Sag award. & it won Best ensemble. JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHO HAS SEENTHE SERIES YET? I don't get that network, unfortunately

THANK YOU

The new Entertainment Weekly has a cover story about Season 2 of "Stranger Things." The series is a nice homage to the sci-fi films of Steven Spielberg and John Carpenter from the late 1970s and early 1980s. Plus there's an adequate dose of Stephen King-style eerieness.

I was surprised that the series won the Screen Actors Guild award for Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama Series (I thought that other Netfix gem, "The Crown," would win). But it was fun to watch the reactions of the kids in the cast when they won.

ew-1453-13141500.jpg?w=1600

The new Entertainment Weekly has a cover story about Season 2 of "Stranger Things." The series is a nice homage to the sci-fi films of Steven Spielberg and John Carpenter from the late 1970s and early 1980s. Plus there's an adequate dose of Stephen King-style eerieness.

I was surprised that the series won the Screen Actors Guild award for Outstanding Ensemble in a Drama Series (I thought that other Netfix gem, "The Crown," would win). But it was fun to watch the reactions of the kids in the cast when they won.

ew-1453-13141500.jpg?w=1600

JAKEEM, but ridiculous no WINONA??? Only a small photo of her inside? obviousoly tey were showcasing the kids, but that's ridiculous & she was just up for both a Globe & a SAG award for it?

(P.S. Did you see my gurl's facial reactions though on stage? She's inctedibally bi-polar & an introvert, but for her that was even a bit strange. I've been a fan of hers since 1989's "Heathers"-(ever see it?& she's had her public troubles, but HOLLYWOOD loves a comeback, look at her & *Mel for "Hacksaw Ridge" (P.S. Have you seen/heard a pip about Robert Blake by the way?) After that trial he told the press he was just gonna' go & "Cowboy It" meaning live in a trailer on the beach) Tuth by told & I've always been a fan-(& always separate whats on-screen from personal jazz) but he killed that woman BIG-0TIME!

JAKEEM, but ridiculous no WINONA??? Only a small photo of her inside? obviousoly tey were showcasing the kids, but that's ridiculous & she was just up for both a Globe & a SAG award for it?

(P.S. Did you see my gurl's facial reactions though on stage? She's inctedibally bi-polar & an introvert, but for her that was even a bit strange. I've been a fan of hers since 1989's "Heathers"-(ever see it?& she's had her public troubles, but HOLLYWOOD loves a comeback, look at her & *Mel for "Hacksaw Ridge" (P.S. Have you seen/heard a pip about Robert Blake by the way?) After that trial he told the press he was just gonna' go & "Cowboy It" meaning live in a trailer on the beach) Tuth by told & I've always been a fan-(& always separate whats on-screen from personal jazz) but he killed that woman BIG-0TIME!

For the record, Blake was tried for the murder of Wife No, 2, Bonnie Lee Bakley, and found not guilty by a California jury on March 16, 2005. Months later, a civil court jury found him liable in her death and leveled a penalty assessment of $30 million (later reduced in half) against him. Blake has filed for bankruptcy and hasn't appeared in a film since 2007.

As for Winona, well, she certainly had some interesting facial expressions during co-star David Harbour's anti-Muslim ban-tinged acceptance speech.

• Like 1

For the record, Blake was tried for the murder of Wife No, 2, Bonnie Lee Bakley, and found not guilty by a California jury on March 16, 2005. Months later, a civil court jury found him liable in her death and leveled a penalty assessment of $30 million (later reduced in half) against him. Blake has filed for bankruptcy and hasn't appeared in a film since 2007.

As for Winona, well, she certainly had some interesting facial expressions during co-star David Harbour's anti-Muslim ban-tinged acceptance speech.

IN THE WORDS OF *WALTER BRENNAN IN "BLACK RICK" "MAN, MA, O, MAN YOU REALLY COVER ALL THE BASES & THANKSFORTHE ITEM ONLITTLE WINONA-(actual name is (Winona Laura Horowitz) only an "0' separate her name from "The Three Stooges" There's was just Horwitz

So that's why her beautiful il face was all over the joint I'M KREEPING THAT & WIL FORWARD IT OTHERS

As for Blake, I knew about the other suit, but still thought he'd pop up somewhere, desperately in need of $dough$ he always complained about $money$ to begin with

DO YOU THIK HE DID IT BY THE WAY?

I remember the instant anger with tons of callers to GLENDALE'S "Forest Lawn" as oppoed to Hollywood Hills/Burbank where Blakely was interred, but the tv media got it all wrong & people were just furious!

I even called GLENDALE'S to just sere what all the fuss was about

ET,Extra,etc saidshe was laid to rest among such legendary & beloved stars as *Jimmy Stewart, *Disney, *Burns & Allen & even L.Frank Baum-(reckon' they didn't havethe time to go through the massive amount of others that chose the 317 acre park *Tracy, *Gable, *Bogey,etc

& they admitted they got it wrong

It immediately made me think though, like every person in GLENDALE is a prince or princess? They must have bad people there as well? GPO FIGURE

We split her buddy, She was even looking off-the-wall before he said anything.

My mom said that was happening, I fell asleep positive she wouldn't win.

I just watched your generous clip 3 times & she was out there, or incedibally nervous in public like she's always been?

reckon' they will try & chalk it up once again to her being "NUTS"

(EXAMPLE: Unlike Louise she rarely if ever dud tv talk shows, very scared

Have you been able to see her show yourself? I don't get the network, sadly.

Had a "CRUSH" on her since abouit 1989 & "Heathers" it later grew with "Age of Innocence" "Little Women" & "Reality Bits"

Plus, if you just get a cgabnce to see her as herself, she'sw incredibally cool & nice.

She had some emotional problems with 1999's good (***) "Girl, Interrupted" though It was meant as a tailor-made veicle for her big comeback & *Jolie obviously stole the show &an *Oscar Ever see that one?

her depression at times borders on suicidal

IN THE WORDS OF *WALTER BRENNAN IN "BLACK RICK" "MAN, MA, O, MAN YOU REALLY COVER ALL THE BASES & THANKSFORTHE ITEM ONLITTLE WINONA-(actual name is (Winona Laura Horowitz) only an "0' separate her name from "The Three Stooges" There's was just Horwitz

So that's why her beautiful il face was all over the joint I'M KREEPING THAT & WIL FORWARD IT OTHERS

As for Blake, I knew about the other suit, but still thought he'd pop up somewhere, desperately in need of $dough$ he always complained about $money$ to begin with

DO YOU THIK HE DID IT BY THE WAY?

Trying to install that clip of her in FAVS/DAVES, but can't?

Speking of her, she's actualy made approx 30 films tpo date:

Let me know the one's you've seen listed below

1986 "Lucas" (***)

1987 "Square Dance" (***)

'88 "Beetlejuice" ($71m.) (***)-(heard anything on it's sequel, only with her, Keaton & Burton?)

'89 "Great Balls of Fire" (**1/2)

'89 "Heathers" ($1m.)(***1/2)-(& gets more popular with each yr. "Mean Girls" & the anics they oulled palled in comparison by it made $46m.)-(TRIVIA: The lead bad girl blonde in "Heathers" had an early remark to S. Doherty if she had a brain tumor for breakfast,this actress ended up dying of one a couple yrs later) Slater channeled *Nicholson, so much so, he actually called *jack one night to impress a girl & all *jacvk could do was cackle)

1990 "Mermaids" ($35m.)(***)-(g. globe nom.)

'90 "Edward Scissorhands" ($54m.) (**1/2)-(beautiful score by Danny Elfman)

'91 "Nigt on Earth" (***)-(she only had 1 segment w/G. Rowlands)

1992 "Bram Stoker's Dracula" ($82m.) (***1/2)-(this won 3 *Academy awards too& nobody mentions it, by *Coppola. Make-Up,. Costumes & Sound Effects)

'93 "Age of Innocence" ($32m.) (4 stars!) (I rate this still a beautifully & meticulously made film by *Marty Superb score by E. Bernstein & at the time Michelle was my fav. living actress & was/is luminous in it. Ryder won the Globe but lost the *Oscar? Did win for it's costumes, the year of *"Schindler")(P.S. Jakleem, there was another period pc that yr by Merchant/Ivory, they usually bore me, but I've always felt "Remains of the Day" was suiperb & especially *Hopkins. Whats your view?)

'94 "Little Women" ($50m.) (****-stars!) (I know most prefer *kate ';33 version, it'

s close for me though & T.Newman had yet another grat score here. Winona got her 1st leading nom. as Jo.)

'95 "How to Make an American Quilt" ($24m.)(**1/2) huge older cast opposite her & again, T. Newman's music'96 "Celebrity" (**1/2-at best) & not among *Woody's best)

'97 "Alien: Resurrection" ($48m.) (**) (not a fan of this one)

Girl, Interrupted" ($30m.)()***) (already wrote you about this one. Actually her last high profile role td)

2000 "An Autumn Tale" (440m.) (**) (Her & gere tgether, it made $$$ but not too good)

LET ME NOW WHEN YOU CAN ON WHICH YOU'VE HAD THE CHANCE TO SEE?

& MOST OF ALL YOUIR INPOUT ONALL 924) OF MY FINAL *OSCAR PREDICTIONS & AGAIN, I THANK YOU!

I remember the instant anger with tons of callers to GLENDALE'S "Forest Lawn" as oppoed to Hollywood Hills/Burbank where Blakely was interred, but the tv media got it all wrong & people were just furious!

I even called GLENDALE'S to just sere what all the fuss was about

ET,Extra,etc saidshe was laid to rest among such legendary & beloved stars as *Jimmy Stewart, *Disney, *Burns & Allen & even L.Frank Baum-(reckon' they didn't havethe time to go through the massive amount of others that chose the 317 acre park *Tracy, *Gable, *Bogey,etc

& they admitted they got it wrong

It immediately made me think though, like every person in GLENDALE is a prince or princess? They must have bad people there as well? GPO FIGURE

Thanx to Darkblue, but I strongly split with you here about her not being able to act anymore since her 2000/01 debacle.

Just the fact that she's been nominated for both the Golden Globe & the Sag award in the same year for the same show proves it more then anything!

I had forgotten a mediocre film she also made by *Ron Howard w/Kevin James & Vince Vaughn-(forget it's title right now) Only a few rs ago now & she was fairly string in that comedy, but the film wasn't.

She's on the road to comeback, even at the age of 45

DB,ever see any of thse flix I cited &your views?

I forgot a dud she made "Welcome Home, Roxy Carmichael" (l989) (*1/2) & she had a name I always remembner "DINKY"

I've seen plenty of Winona Ryder movies. Usually, I enjoy her. 'Girl, Interrupted' and 'Alien Resurrection' were a couple of her better acting jobs.

But, having watched her latest work - 'Stranger Things' - I feel she's overdoing it these days.

I realize that show's gotten a lot of praise, but hey, we live in an age where silly stuff like 'The Departed' and 'No Country for Old Men' can be praised as the best movies of their respective years, so I'm not even gonna expound on the critical opinions of the present era.

'Stranger Things' reminds me very much of a Stephen King mini-series, and as is usually the case with those (and his movies too) it's just so-so. I'll give it a 6 out of 10 at best.

• Like 1

I've seen plenty of Winona Ryder movies. Usually, I enjoy her. 'Girl, Interrupted' and 'Alien Resurrection' were a couple of her better acting jobs.

But, having watched her latest work - 'Stranger Things' - I feel she's overdoing it these days.

I realize that show's gotten a lot of praise, but hey, we live in an age where silly stuff like 'The Departed' and 'No Country for Old Men' can be praised as the best movies of their respective years, so I'm not even gonna expound on the critical opinions of the present era.

'Stranger Things' reminds me very much of a Stephen King mini-series, and as is usually the case with those (and his movies too) it's just so-so. I'll give it a 6 out of 10 at best.

!

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings