Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

31 Days of Oscar: E

Fedya

Perhaps this belongs over in the Games & Trivia section. But I noticed that in the alphabetical airing of movies as part of 31 Days of Oscar this year, the schedule is going from Dreamgirls at 8:00 tonight to Fame at 10:30.

Note that they're not running any movies whose titles begin with the letter E. Which E movie(s) would you like to have seen in this year's 31 Days of Oscar?

Someone already discussed this in another thread. I posted then that I was surprised that they aren't showing East of Eden, although I'm not a fan of the movie.

http://forums.tcm.com/index.php?/topic/126042-oscars-by-the-numbers-no-letters/

I wish they would show East Lynne (1931), one of the few Oscar nominated films I haven't seen yet.

About a thousand Google searches for "Oscar nominated films beginning with e" or some equivalent are hurting my soul in their utter failure to produce any helpful results. I would like to participate but don't know how I can without some kind of list. My brain doesn't just hold that information at the ready. Sometimes, when you look for something really specific, you find even in 2017, Google really kinda sucks at what it's supposed to accomplish.

Ooh! I thought of one out me "me own brain"! I'm surprised TCM isn't showing Executive Suite, an MGM film.

And Enchanted Cottage, which is RKO, also an in-library film.

And Exodus, from UA. I'm on a roll, now. Did anybody say Exodus? Does seem weird that they didn't include a single film that starts with "E".

Here's my list per IMDB info (including the ones mentioned previously).  Admittedly, some of these are too new to be logically shown on TCM.

Earrings of Madame de, The (1953)
East of Eden (1955))
Easter Parade (1948)
Eastern Promises (2007)
Easy Rider (1969)
Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)
Ed Wood (1994)
Eddy Duchin Story, The (1956)
Edison, The Man (1940)
Educating Rita (1983)
Education, An (2009)
Egyptian, The (1954)
El Cid (1961)
Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2006)
Elle (2016)
Elmer Gantry (1960)
Emma (1996)
Emma (1932)
Emperor Waltz, The (1948)
Enchanted (2007)
Enchanted Cottage, The (1945)
Enemy Below, The (1957)
English Patient, The (1996)
Entertainer, The (1960)
Equus (1977)
Erin Brockovich (2000)
Ernest & Celestine (2012)
Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind (2004)
Eternally Yours (1939)
Ex Machina (2015)
Executive Suite (1954)
Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)
Exodus (1960)
Experiment Perilous (1944)
Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2011)

Equus should have been easy for TCM since it is included next month as part of the Richard Burton SOTM list.

Here's my list per IMDB info (including the ones mentioned previously).  Admittedly, some of these are too new to be logically shown on TCM.

Earrings of Madame de, The (1953)

East of Eden (1955))

Easter Parade (1948)

Eastern Promises (2007)

Easy Rider (1969)

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)

Ed Wood (1994)

Eddy Duchin Story, The (1956)

Edison, The Man (1940)

Educating Rita (1983)

Education, An (2009)

Egyptian, The (1954)

El Cid (1961)

Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2006)

Elle (2016)

Elmer Gantry (1960)

Emma (1996)

Emma (1932)

Emperor Waltz, The (1948)

Enchanted (2007)

Enchanted Cottage, The (1945)

Enemy Below, The (1957)

English Patient, The (1996)

Entertainer, The (1960)

Equus (1977)

Erin Brockovich (2000)

Ernest & Celestine (2012)

Eternal Sunshine of Spotless Mind (2004)

Eternally Yours (1939)

Ex Machina (2015)

Executive Suite (1954)

Exit Through the Gift Shop (2010)

Exodus (1960)

Experiment Perilous (1944)

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close (2011)

Equus should have been easy for TCM since it is included next month as part of the Richard Burton SOTM list.

You missed East Lynne and I even mentioned it in the second post. It was nominated for Best Picture in 1930/1931.

• Like 1

I'm uncertain a complete print of East Lynne exists. Information is a little spotty on imdb. There's apparently only one surviving print, available at the UCLA Film Archive, and some people are saying it's missing the final 10 minutes.

Looking at your list, the most obvious omissions this year among films that are regularly shown on TCM are East of EdenEaster ParadeEasy RiderEdison the ManElmer GantryEmma (1932), The Enchanted Cottage, Eternally YoursExecutive Suite and Exodus. Quite a few of the rest have aired on TCM at least once.

• Like 3

I totally forgot about the Marie Dressler nomination for Emma (no relation to the Jane Austen book).

There's also Europa, Europa nominated not for Best Foreign Film, but its screenplay.

And not that they could get it from Universal, but the Mae West movie Every Day's a Holiday was nominated for its art direction.

• Like 1

Perhaps this belongs over in the Games & Trivia section. But I noticed that in the alphabetical airing of movies as part of 31 Days of Oscar this year, the schedule is going from Dreamgirls at 8:00 tonight to Fame at 10:30.

Note that they're not running any movies whose titles begin with the letter E. Which E movie(s) would you like to have seen in this year's 31 Days of Oscar?

There is little doubt in my mind that TCM did this "Skipping of the Es" as marketing scheduling, making a deliberate prime-time "Double Bill" of "Dreamgirls" and "Fame", two musical genre selections that appeal to a coveted young female demographic.

While typically the type of move that gets my goat (poor goat, he's been gotten so much in recent times) I'm not criticizing, exactly. Cynicism aside, it's a pretty cagey move that isn't going to do any lasting damage to the network's reputation in the eyes of their core fans.

If this has already been mentioned in another thread, my apologies for being redundant.

... Cynicism aside, it's a pretty cagey move that isn't going to do any lasting damage to the network's reputation in the eyes of their core fans.

Yeah WL, but I do hear the classic cinephiles in Erie PA, Englewood NJ and Encino CA are still a little ticked off about all this!

(...not to mention those in Elko NV...although word is there's only a very small contingent of those types there in that desert town)

• Like 1

It's not arbitrary. It's a question of what TCM can show for free or for very little cost vs. what they have to pay for. That means you're going to see mostly films from MGM, Warner Bros. pre-1949, United Artists and RKO. Films from Paramount, Universal, Columbia and 20th Century Fox you're going to see a lot less of. Love Story is from Paramount. TCM hasn't shown it in nine years. On the other hand, both versions of Little Women (the earlier one from RKO, the later one from MGM) are under TCM's control

As I discussed in another thread, this year is exceptionally egregious in the percentage of films being shown that are in TCM's library, over 70 per cent, with fully one out of every three films being shown this month from MGM alone. In that thread, I compared this year's schedule to the one from 10 years ago, which was much more diverse. More than 50 per cent of the films shown that year were not in the TCM library. TCM showed 60 Columbia films during 31 Days of 2007. This year, they're showing five.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings