Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Wow! Am I Dreaming?

slaytonf

As with all good musicals, the storyline in Dreamgirls (2006) has the good sense not to get in the way of the performances.  Well, not at first.  But later on, when the girls really start singing.  Although the songs aren't anything special, they're listenable enough.  And it's no shabby assemblage of talent.  And everyone does well enough, despite the script being almost devoid of any characterization, and whatever of it there is being drawn from the conventional stock of personalities and events, and the director's pathologic fear of lingering on one particular shot for more than 1.3 seconds. . . .Did I say not anything special?  Not, that is, until Jennifer Hudson comes on and belts out "And I'm Telling You I'm Not Going."  Think it was a fluke?  Then listen to her sing "I Am Changing," you'll know it wasn't.  Man, while I'm listening to her, I'm thinking Barbara Streisand.  And you know, I'd like to see her in Funny Girl.  That could be NBC's next live musical.  It would blow all the previous ones out of the water.

• Like 2

Jennifer Hudson has too much natural, raw, no-nonsense, no gimmick talent.  In today's world it's no wonder she's not a bigger "star" than she deserves to be.

Sepiatone

I wonder how much her family murders impacted her career arch.

E.g. a little too raw for public consumption?

Jennifer Hudson has a wonderful tone and a passionate delivery. But I wish she utilized a wider dynamic range. Slayton refers to Streisand, but Barbra was just as capable at getting a point across in a whisper as she was in a clarion note.

She wasn't given the opportunity.  There were none of those kinds of songs in the movie.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings