Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Well anybody catch Odds Against Tomorrow?

I did.  WOW!!!!!  I LOVED IT!!!!

I thought ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW was fantastic on EVERY level.  I plan to buy the Blu-Ray immediately.  I only wish it had Muller's bookends to go with it.  I'm not joking when I say I loved ever minute.  I am actually planning to watch it again just to try to find a complaint.  PLEASE let me know where you all see the flaws.  I was blown away.  I love Robert Ryan, but after seeing this I now love Harry Belafonte as an actor.  I wasn't familiar at all with his acting work until this.  Seriously everyone in this cast was so fantastic.  I could go on about every performance, but the one that really elated me was Richard Bright.  OMG!!!!!  I've seen that guy in so many movies where he was playing a type and him as Coco just knocked my socks off.  I recognized him immediately and it just floored me that he was playing a similar character to characters I've seen him play before, but what a twist.  I love seeing actors stretch their range and in 1959 Coco was a brave character to bring to life.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Looney said:

I did.  WOW!!!!!  I LOVED IT!!!!

I thought ODDS AGAINST TOMORROW was fantastic on EVERY level.  I plan to buy the Blu-Ray immediately.  I only wish it had Muller's bookends to go with it.  I'm not joking when I say I loved ever minute.  I am actually planning to watch it again just to try to find a complaint.  PLEASE let me know where you all see the flaws.  I was blown away.  I love Robert Ryan, but after seeing this I now love Harry Belafonte as an actor.  I wasn't familiar at all with his acting work until this.  Seriously everyone in this cast was so fantastic.  I could go on about every performance, but the one that really elated me was Richard Bright.  OMG!!!!!  I've seen that guy in so many movies where he was playing a type and him as Coco just knocked my socks off.  I recognized him immediately and it just floored me that he was playing a similar character to characters I've seen him play before, but what a twist.  I love seeing actors stretch their range and in 1959 Coco was a brave character to bring to life.

The only thing I wonder about was Gloria Grahame's character, she seems a bit slow the way she replies to Ryan when we first see her. I thought I'd have to check out the book to she how she was written but Eddies mentioned that she was created for screenplay, now I wonder about the screenplay character.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

The only thing I wonder about was Gloria Grahame's character, she seems a bit slow the way she replies to Ryan when we first see her. I thought I'd have to check out the book to she how she was written but Eddies mentioned that she was created for screenplay, now I wonder about the screenplay character.

Watched the first hour (but I have seen the film many times) before switching to The Saint.  

I also wonder about Grahame's character and how the character is 'defined' in the screenplay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen it many times before, but I watched it again. Very entertaining flick.

I like the idea of some guys from the city going upstate to rob a bank in a

small hick town. And at night the small hick town is just as spooky and strange

as is the big city. The ending is a bit contrived, but that doesn't really effect

what has gone on before. All the lead actors are very good. And Ed Begley had

a pretty good plan. No one could know that a cop would just happen to see

Ed exit from the bank in his hunter's getup. The best plans, etc. And what's

the problem with Ed's phone? The most static of any one in the city. And Ed's

crummy apartment is just one aspect of the overall grimy NYC setting. Hope

he left enough food and water for his dog. And lots of newspapers.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

The only thing I wonder about was Gloria Grahame's character, she seems a bit slow the way she replies to Ryan when we first see her. I thought I'd have to check out the book to she how she was written but Eddies mentioned that she was created for screenplay, now I wonder about the screenplay character.

I think Miss Gloria's character was looking for some excitement from the tediousness of taking care of a baby and an inattentive husband.  Then there's this dangerous manly Robert Ryan.  As she says, "Just this once."  You go girl, take that walk on the wild side just this once.  ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I think Miss Gloria's character was looking for some excitement from the tediousness of taking care of a baby and an inattentive husband.  Then there's this dangerous manly Robert Ryan.  As she says, "Just this once."  You go girl, take that walk on the wild side just this once.  ?

We know what she was looking for, it's the way she spoke, her stilted speech, what was the reason? was it a "stage direction" in the screenplay?

And I repeat where is misswonderly3 for her insight. ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

We know what she was looking for, it's the way she spoke, her stilted speech, what was the reason? was it a "stage direction" in the screenplay?

And I repeat where is misswonderly3 for her insight. ?

I think the paralysis of her upper lip she had from plastic surgery probably affected the way she spoke.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ChristineHoard said:

I think the paralysis of her upper lip she had from plastic surgery probably affected the way she spoke.

Yea. it could definitely be that too. It might have been a recent surgery. It would be nice to get ton the bottom of it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, ChristineHoard said:

I think the paralysis of her upper lip she had from plastic surgery probably affected the way she spoke.

Did she really have plastic surgery? I'd read she'd stuffed tissue paper up there to make it look more pouty.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 10/7/2018 at 6:23 PM, cigarjoe said:

"misswonderly3, I'm patiently waiting for your Odds Against Tomorrow post" :D

One hour ago, Hibi said:

"I believe she's out of town and busy."

------------------------------------------------------

And NOW the IRONIC thing about this present conversation here is that I heard MissW DID go out of town and IS busy!

And 'cause just like Gloria Grahame, word is MissW is getting HER lips all puffed up and pouty lookin' by some Mexican plastic surgeon while she's down there on vacation!

 

(...naaaah, not really of course) ;)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I read somewhere that Gloria Graham really disliked her lips and underwent several surgeries which made it even worse.

I know she was obsessed about it, but I never read she had surgery........

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

I know she was obsessed about it, but I never read she had surgery........

From what I read she had surgeries which resulted in nerves being cut around her upper lip.  I also read that she did put tissue inside her upper lip and co-stars could tell during kissing scenes.  She was very self conscious about her looks.  It's sad that she felt this way.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

It's barely a Noir, I go a lot by the visuals, and it's only real nod to them are the elevator shots of Marie Astor at the end.

I'm always interested in how the human mind works and in this case, we're almost on the same page...but I can not fathom how anyone hops, skips, or jumps over the points of logic I abide by in this matter. Even insisting to history that your advocacy be stretched and extended...I just can't perform this devil's arithmetic. 'Dark' cinematography alone, honestly can't make a noir. If that were so, many films could be included. Even big budget horror flicks.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know; you're an intelligent and informed individual..but shadowy visuals were part of the 'noir' recipe for a very specific reason. Everything in the noir recipe was super-specific. I sound like a fussbudget but this longstanding issue --alone among cinema topics--does make my eyes bug out.

Any film that even seems 'slightly edgy' usually winds up getting tagged 'noir' and its just not right, I tell ye...just not right...:angry:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

I'm always interested in how the human mind works and in this case, we're almost on the same page...but I can not fathom how anyone hops, skips, or jumps over the points of logic I abide by in this matter. Even insisting to history that your advocacy be stretched and extended...I just can't perform this devil's arithmetic. 'Dark' cinematography alone, honestly can't make a noir. If that were so, many films could be included. Even big budget horror flicks.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know; you're an intelligent and informed individual..but shadowy visuals were part of the 'noir' recipe for a very specific reason. Everything in the noir recipe was super-specific. I sound like a fussbudget but this longstanding issue --alone among cinema topics--does make my eyes bug out.

Any film that even seems 'slightly edgy' usually winds up getting tagged 'noir' and its just not right, I tell ye...just not right...:angry:

In its original 1930s definition "film noir" was any film concerning/depicting the Dark Side of the human condition. 

Noir is all over the map, it's subjective. For some if it doesn't have a detective and a femme fatale it isn't a noir, 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...