Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

I thought I hadnt seen T-Men before but after about 20 mins in, realized I had. I still watched it again. Nice little ****...another Wallace Ford great performance.

Yea,  Wallace Ford was fine in T-Men.    He gave first rate performances in other noirs like Beast of the City, The Breaking Point, Crack-Up,  Dead Reckoning,   He Ran all the Way,   The Set-Up,  and Shadow of a Doubt.

• Like 1

I thought I hadnt seen T-Men before but after about 20 mins in, realized I had. I still watched it again. Nice little ****...another Wallace Ford great performance.

ESCANDALO!

WHAT DID YOU SAY?!

I wanna say GUN CRAZY is in the Public Domain (the rights weren't renewed?)...maybe i'm wrong, but it seems like you can access it pretty feely online (even the Criterion copy.)

(US or Canada)

ESCANDALO!

WHAT DID YOU SAY?!

Apparently the 2nd letter of the alphabet is censored. That's what I used! Ridiculous. Wonder if B Movie is as well?

No, B movie is apparently ok. Just not Bee solo.........

Yea,  Wallace Ford was fine in T-Men.    He gave first rate performances in other noirs like Beast of the City, The Breaking Point, Crack-Up,  Dead Reckoning,   He Ran all the Way,   The Set-Up,  and Shadow of a Doubt.

I've never seen him give a bad performance.  Just saw him in a small role in Spellbound over the wknd (the annoying masher in the hotel lobby. LOL)

Turning my thoughts from being spam crazy to going gun crazy...

I had no idea that Dalton Trumbo was involved in many of the classic Noir movies.  So far on Noir Alley we have seen The Prowler, He Ran All the Way, and this week Gun Crazy.  I’ve seen Gun Crazy on TCM before so I’m curious to hear any comments from those who are seeing it for the first time.

Nice that Eddie showed part of the previous interview he did with Peggy Cummins.  I didn’t realize that Peggy was Welsh until I heard her accent and looked her up on the internet.  Too bad it appears her career did not include many other high profile American films.

Only two more films to go before the hiatus for Summer Under the Stars.  I’m looking forward to the 2nd one, Born to Kill, so I can get me some more Claire Trevor.

Sorry, I didnt record it now. I've seen the film several times, but sometimes I'll record it just to watch Eddie's comments, but I didnt this wknd. :(

Bummer! I forgot about SUTS. No Noirs. Hopefully a few at other times. :(

Cummins ALMOST made Forever Amber. Apparently her performance was not up to snuff, she was replaced by Linda Darnell. She did film some scenes.........

• Like 1

Apparently the 2nd letter of the alphabet is censored. That's what I used! Ridiculous. Wonder if B Movie is as well?

No, B movie is apparently ok. Just not Bee solo.........

The 2nd letter of the alphabet is manually censored by a moderator and NOT by the auto censor software  (as you can see by the comment in your post).   

It was my understanding this was only done when a user was referring to the word Crawford hints at, in her final line in The Women.      I found this out in the Joan and Bette feud thread when the B I used was replaced with *******. 

PS:  You were not using the word hinted at in The Women.    So yea,  I don't understand why your posted was messed with. 

CHR-ST!!! Some people dont have enough to do. I didnt notice that until I looked closer after I posted that. WHO would I be calling a b-tch??? Wallace Ford????? I guess we cant THINK the word either...........

Sorry, I didnt record it now. I've seen the film several times, but sometimes I'll record it just to watch Eddie's comments, but I didnt this wknd. :(

Bummer! I forgot about SUTS. No Noirs. Hopefully a few at other times. :(

Cummins ALMOST made Forever Amber. Apparently her performance was not up to snuff, she was replaced by Linda Darnell. She did film some scenes.........

Hibi,

I looked at the noiralley.tcm.com video page but so far the Gun Crazy intro has not been posted there yet.  Hopefully they'll post it later?  I also checked my cable system video On Demand section for TCM, and Gun Crazy is now there complete with Eddie's intro and wrap-up, so you might check that if you happen to have the equivalent (I have Time Warner / Charter cable).

Strange you got censored - I think I happened to catch your post before the edit and didn't think anything of it...

Also agree with you and James that Wallace Ford was very good in T-Men.  I recognized him from He Ran All the Way that was shown earlier on Noir Alley and went to look at his IMDB page - amazing list of films he's appeared in.  Thanks to TCM we can appreciate the fine work provided by the character actors.

• Like 2

Hibi,

I looked at the noiralley.tcm.com video page but so far the Gun Crazy intro has not been posted there yet.  Hopefully they'll post it later?  I also checked my cable system video On Demand section for TCM, and Gun Crazy is now there complete with Eddie's intro and wrap-up, so you might check that if you happen to have the equivalent (I have Time Warner / Charter cable).

Strange you got censored - I think I happened to catch your post before the edit and didn't think anything of it...

Also agree with you and James that Wallace Ford was very good in T-Men.  I recognized him from He Ran All the Way that was shown earlier on Noir Alley and went to look at his IMDB page - amazing list of films he's appeared in.  Thanks to TCM we can appreciate the fine work provided by the character actors.

Thanks, but I dont get video on demand with my cable system. Hopefully it'll be rerun again at some point. I'll check at tcm/noir alley to see if it pops up.

I dunno; she's so good and so daringly depraved in GUN CRAZY that I think the issue was more her not dealing with "awful Otto's" temperament.

Yeah, could be. Dont really know the details. Maybe she wanted to quit.

Some Noir Alley Info. Think TCM is considering moving the time slot! I got a questionnaire about Noir Alley and there were several questions about the time slot, and changing the time slot. I, of course, said I was very unhappy with the current time slot! (LOL) So somewhere down the road, it might happen!

• Like 4

Yeah, could be. Dont really know the details. Maybe she wanted to quit.

Her performance in GUN CRAZY is very much akin to JANE GREER'S in OUT OF THE PAST- you just sense she's giving 100%; doing everything the director wants, 100% capable.

Based on her work in that film alone, I'll bet the problem was with Otto.

Some Noir Alley Info. Think TCM is considering moving the time slot! I got a questionnaire about Noir Alley and there were several questions about the time slot, and changing the time slot. I, of course, said I was very unhappy with the current time slot! (LOL) So somewhere down the road, it might happen!

Good! It really deserves to be a Primetime feature.  They should put it on Sunday nights or something.  They could air the Noir Alley feature and then pair it with another noir or a film that is related to the Noir Alley pic and that would take us into the "Silent Sunday Night" feature at 9pm. 

7am on Sunday morning is too early for noir! 

• Like 1

Good! It really deserves to be a Primetime feature.  They should put it on Sunday nights or something.  They could air the Noir Alley feature and then pair it with another noir or a film that is related to the Noir Alley pic and that would take us into the "Silent Sunday Night" feature at 9pm. 

7am on Sunday morning is too early for noir! 

No kidding! Sunday morning is NOT where it's at. The two options they gave to choose were midnight Friday or midnight Sat. So hopefully one of those will be chosen for the future. We'll see!

No kidding! Sunday morning is NOT where it's at. The two options they gave to choose were midnight Friday or midnight Sat. So hopefully one of those will be chosen for the future. We'll see!

Hmm... Either wouldn't be too bad for me, I would presume that midnight is in EST so that'd only be 9pm PST.  I could handle that.  Either time makes more sense.  Noir demands night time.

• Like 1

TCM's head of programming, Charlie Tabesh, has informed me that, based on viewer feedback, there is a strong likelihood that Noir Alley will be scheduled at a different time in the near future, with a few possible time slots being considered. So perhaps the October 2017 schedule has yet to be made available because the programmers are rescheduling Noir Alley features for that month.

• Like 4

TCM's head of programming, Charlie Tabesh, has informed me that, based on viewer feedback, there is a strong likelihood that Noir Alley will be scheduled at a different time in the near future, with a few possible time slots being considered. So perhaps the October 2017 schedule has yet to be made available because the programmers are rescheduling Noir Alley features for that month.

GREAT! I dont understand why they chose Sunday mornings in the first place.

• Like 1

Her performance in GUN CRAZY is very much akin to JANE GREER'S in OUT OF THE PAST- you just sense she's giving 100%; doing everything the director wants, 100% capable.

Based on her work in that film alone, I'll bet the problem was with Otto.

Actually, the issue was that once Zanuck saw the dailies he suddenly realized that Peggy was too young to play such a sexually provocative character. Zanuck feared a backlash against the studio, even though he'd made such a big deal of "discovering" Peggy for the role. John Stahl, the director, was angry about the change and Zanuck got rid of him as well. Peggy never shot a scene with Otto Preminger. She was crushed by all this—GUN CRAZY has proven to be a nice consolation. Who remembers FOREVER AMBER?

• Like 3

I wanna say GUN CRAZY is in the Public Domain (the rights weren't renewed?)...maybe i'm wrong, but it seems like you can access it pretty feely online (even the Criterion copy.)

(US or Canada)

North American rights to GUN CRAZY are owned by Warner Bros.

• Like 1

I caught up with a couple of Noir Alley movies:  T-Men and Gun Crazy.  I've seen Gun Crazy before.  I love the bank robbery scene, the payroll robbery and the finale.  The performances are excellent and I'm a little disappointed that Eddie didn't mention John Dall who I think is just as good as Peggy Cummins in this film.  One of my favorite noirs and I might like to check out Eddie's book about it.  T-Men was good with several characters getting seriously beat up/killed.  Plenty of action in this one, too.  The camera work was outstanding.  I'm going to miss Noir Alley when it ends and I hope TCM brings it back next year.

Yes, I regret not having time to talk about John Dall, but he's a deep story and I didn't want to get started and not follow through. Hope I have another chance. Considering his appearance today in ROPE, it's interesting to note that both he and Farley Granger (they are both gay, I trust you all know) had really hoped that Hitchcock would cast James Mason as their mentor, since they both laughed that they could easily be attracted to him. Farley told me that Jimmy Stewart actually had no sense of the story's gay subtext. "It's like we were acting in different movies," he told me. John Dall had a lot of personal issues that kept him off screen for much of the 1950s and he died under somewhat suspicious circumstances in his home in 1971 at only 52 years of age.

• Like 5

I'm sure I heard him right. Very strange. I did notice it was different on the schedule and recorded the film shown as I havent seen it.

I said that POSSESSED would be presented on NOIR ALLEY "later in the year." It will air 10/1/17.

• Like 1