Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Just now, TheCid said:

I think they do that on the Noir forum.

We were discussing it there, BTW, until I didn't feel like wasting my time with trying to define a subjective feeling that I personally get when I watch a film. It either clicks for me or it doesn't.

Enough, now back to Noir Alley.

Anybody already see The Sniper?

• Like 1

"My friends heed these words, for I pass this way but once!" --Harold Hill

Wise words above; and in the preceding Hep-post as well. What's wrong with getting a little carried away? Why is passion frowned upon so much these days? How much trouble can one cause anyway... when we're all safely hiding behind monitors and keyboards? As long as the party is kept polite, what's the harm?

Now, as for shooting sprees: I have said often over the past five years or so that it seems like its getting to be once every three months in the USA. I stand by that remark.

p.s. maybe it shouldn't be called 'noir alley' if the host isn't really going to be serious about exclusively airing true noirs. Maybe there oughta be one program for crime and a companion program for noir. I'm sure we could come up with appropriate program titles if we had to.

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Sgt_Markoff seems to want to hijack it into a what is Noir debate. 

It is unfair to blame that on him since you and I prompted such a discussion,  but since a 'what is noir',  in a Noir Alley thread,  appears to upset some in the community,  I'll take this over to the genre Noir forum.

As for the Sniper;  I have seen the film (Columbia film that Get-TV showed a lot).   Many things to like about it but it isn't one of my favorites either.     

As I'm sure you know the film marks Dmytryk's return to directing;    will Eddie feel the 'need' to bring up the Hollywood blacklist?      E.g. I found this on Wiki:  He was "required to direct Adolphe Menjou, one of the most virulent Red-baiters of the HUAC hearings.

34 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As I'm sure you know the film marks Dmytryk's return to directing;    will Eddie feel the 'need' to bring up the Hollywood blacklist?      E.g. I found this on Wiki:  He was "required to direct Adolphe Menjou, one of the most virulent Red-baiters of the HUAC hearings.

Actually I didn't, I don't really care all that much about that era in politics to dig into it all that much. I do remember thinking that I'd never seen Menjou in any other Noirs that I remember though.

This is part of what I wrote back in 2011 when I first saw the film:

Produced by Stanley Kramer it's definitely a "message" film one of Kramers trademarks but an enjoyable one. However the message is a bit camouflaged.  If you imagine each shooting to be a sort of codified rape, it makes a bit  more sense when the police are talking about the killings as sex crimes. Its both weird and compelling. The scenes of the women being shot are excellent and disturbing.

A lot of on location San Francisco adds to the enjoyment of the film. As part of the Columbia Pictures Film Noir Collection Vol 1 it has an excellent and informative commentary by Eddie Muller whom novelist James Ellroy has dubbed "The Czar of Noir". So the film can be enjoyed twice 8/10

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Sgt_Markoff said:

Now, as for shooting sprees: I have said often over the past five years or so that it seems like its getting to be once every three months in the USA. I stand by that remark.

This might be more appropriate topic for Off Topic, but to me seems more often than that.  I think a lot do not get covered because they do not receive the national attention of others.  Did the recent one in Florence S.C. get covered anywhere besides South Carolina?

As for this thread, I consider it to be a discussion of movies shown on Noir Alley.

As for Muller, I am sure part of the deal with TCM is that he gets to pick the movies.  After all, TCM went to him to do the program as he is one of the top "experts" on Noir.  For those who may not know he is the founder of the Film Noir Foundation.   http://filmnoirfoundation.org/home.html

This has been discussed before, but it is shown twice because people wanted to see it at different times.  Considering how many other movies TCM shows repeatedly, two airings of one Noir is not so much.

16 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

We were discussing it there, BTW, until I didn't feel like wasting my time with trying to define a subjective feeling that I personally get when I watch a film. It either clicks for me or it doesn't.

Enough, now back to Noir Alley.

Anybody already see The Sniper?

Yes, I've seen it, but I dont remember the plot too well. I remember liking it.

27 minutes ago, TheCid said:

This might be more appropriate topic for Off Topic, but to me seems more often than that.  I think a lot do not get covered because they do not receive the national attention of others.  Did the recent one in Florence S.C. get covered anywhere besides South Carolina?

As for this thread, I consider it to be a discussion of movies shown on Noir Alley.

As for Muller, I am sure part of the deal with TCM is that he gets to pick the movies.  After all, TCM went to him to do the program as he is one of the top "experts" on Noir.  For those who may not know he is the founder of the Film Noir Foundation.   http://filmnoirfoundation.org/home.html

This has been discussed before, but it is shown twice because people wanted to see it at different times.  Considering how many other movies TCM shows repeatedly, two airings of one Noir is not so much.

The midnight showing, I assume, was chosen because so many people complained about the stupid Sunday morning timeslot. I don't know why TCM has kept it on Sunday mornings.

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

The midnight showing, I assume, was chosen because so many people complained about the stupid Sunday morning timeslot. I don't know why TCM has kept it on Sunday mornings.

Actually if I don't record it on Saturday, I will watch it on Sunday AM.

3 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I'm never up that early!

For me, the Sunday Noir Alley is on at 7am! If I was awake at that time, 7am is not a very "noir-ish" time in my opinion.  The Saturday 9pm timeslot works much better for me.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

For me, the Sunday Noir Alley is on at 7am! If I was awake at that time, 7am is not a very "noir-ish" time in my opinion.  The Saturday 9pm timeslot works much better for me.

Whoever chose that time slot wasn't thinking about the West Coast!

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Whoever chose that time slot wasn't thinking about the West Coast!

Definitely!  The benefit to the West Coast timeslots is that Primetime starts at 5pm (which if there's something I want to see I have to DVR it), but if the lineup is especially good, I can see most of it before it segues into filler programming overnight.