Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

16 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I do remember seeing that one bullet hole in McGraw's shirt, and as I recall on the left side half way down his back, while he was crumpled on the floor. But, with no blood, of course.

(...and which might now beg the following question: Did they even have gunshot prop squibs back in '49?)

Maybe they had to settle for the chocolate sauce aftermath. 

10 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

In Hell's Half Acre (1953) They depicted a bullet to the head. I believe it's the actor Robert M. Luck but I;m not sure.

Don't think I've seen that one. Fairly graphic for the time, though nothing compared

to what they would do with it today.

5 hours ago, TheCid said:

To me, Joe should have shot all three of them in the back while they were watching the plane fly over.  The police would not have questioned it at all - self-defense.  Of course, he had to "wimp-out" to make it more suspenseful. 

Yeah, he should have taken a chance to shoot them as soon as he could. Of course that would

have put a premature end to the movie, but it surely would have been satisfying, just as satisfying

as the girlfriend pumping McGraw full of lead at the end. 

4 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

this may sound like a lame excuse, but my allergies were so HORRIBLE on Sunday that I missed the NOIR ALLEY showing thinking it would show up on TCM ON DEMAND (sadly, it has not.)

I am very interested though in the conversation re: REALISTIC gun violence (or a lack thereof) in Classic HOLLYWOOD FILMS of the GOLDEN ERA (pre BONNIE AND CLYDE.)

I mentioned this in my review of HELL BELOW (1933)- a pre-code war film, but one of the most jarring things about it was its realistic depiction of bullet wounds and blood.

i think a great disservice was ironically done to the public (with the best of intentions) by the innumerable blood-free scenes of people getting shot which lacked smoke and spatter and spray and guts- it romanticizes gun violence, almost sexualizes it even- and makes shooting someone witha gun seem a very nice, neat, no-mess affair.

You can really say about Western movies and TV shows in the past.All the people who got shot several times and no blood, no holes, no nothing.

37 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, he should have taken a chance to shoot them as soon as he could. Of course that would

have put a premature end to the movie, but it surely would have been satisfying, just as satisfying

as the girlfriend pumping McGraw full of lead at the end. 

They could have lengthened it a bit by not having the car start after the shooting and the co-hort coming around in the helicopter and a desert chase...

Just now, Hibi said:

They could have lengthened it a bit by not having the car start and the co-hort landing with the helicopter and then a chase through the desert.......

Speaking of the car.  Considering how much time they spent playing with the radio, it is a wonder the battery didn't die.

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

Speaking of the car.  Considering how much time they spent playing with the radio, it is a wonder the battery didn't die.

LOL. A good reason for it not to start! :D

I've seen Woman in the Window several times and like it but HATE the ending. For some reason Scarlet Street is shown fairly often on TCM. But not Woman in the Window......(same company).

13 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I've seen Woman in the Window several times and like it but HATE the ending. For some reason Scarlet Street is shown fairly often on TCM. But not Woman in the Window......(same company).

Please no spoilers. I can't remember how it ended, but I remember there was a twist.

17 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm sure the inevitable Scarlet Street vs Woman in the Window discussion will come up again.  It seems to every time either of these films air on TCM.  I think I own both films, but I am looking forward to hearing Eddie Muller's comments about 'Window.'

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I'm sure the inevitable Scarlet Street vs Woman in the Window discussion will come up again.  It seems to every time either of these films air on TCM.  I think I own both films, but I am looking forward to hearing Eddie Muller's comments about 'Window.'

I assume Mueller will only provide 'detailed' comments after the film is over since he wouldn't wish to be a spoiler.

Anyhow, I enjoy both films;  i.e. they each offer something interesting.

12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I assume Mueller will only provide 'detailed' comments after the film is over since he wouldn't wish to be a spoiler.

Anyhow, I enjoy both films;  i.e. they each offer something interesting.

Yeah, up to now "Mueller" HAS been pretty tight-lipped about things, hasn't he James?!

BUT, I hear "Mueller" IS going to provide some "details" very very soon, and yeah, maybe even right after this flick is shown on TCM this weekend, although you'd think he'd wait until Monday to do this, wouldn't ya.

Oh, wait. You meant "MULLER" here, didn't ya.

Sorry, never mind then.

(...oh, and sorry again, couldn't resist) ;)

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Well, since SCARLET STREET Is now in the public domain, you could say we *all* own it.

as I recall, it runs an 8-2 opinion here that SCARLET STREET is the (far) better film.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

Well, since SCARLET STREET Is now in the public domain, you could say we *all* own it.

as I recall, it runs an 8-2 opinion here that SCARLET STREET is the (far) better film.

No wonder its on more! Didnt realize that. I'm also in that camp (Scarlet Street vs. WOman in the Window)

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

No wonder its on more! Didnt realize that [SCARLET STREET is in the public domain]. I'm also in that camp (Scarlet Street vs. WOman in the Window)

that's why a lot of prints of SCARLET STREET are bad, even the print TCM shows when they air it has some sporadic quality issues. i'm not sure if SCARLET STREET has ever gotten a bona fide restoration, a "SPECIAL LAZYLEGS EDITION" if you will...

really though, to me, THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW is to SCARLET STREET as REBECCA is to FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT- in both cases, the (accomplished and capable) director was forced to compromise on the ending and the climax and not do it "his way"- and was then rewarded with more free rein on their follow-up film where they blew the doors off and made a far more interesting, compelling, and satisfyingly ended picture that has stood the test of time (with some debate) better than the initial outing on which they compromised.

59 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

that's why a lot of prints of SCARLET STREET are bad, even the print TCM shows when they air it has some sporadic quality issues. i'm not sure if SCARLET STREET has ever gotten a bona fide restoration, a "SPECIAL LAZYLEGS EDITION" if you will...

really though, to me, THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW is to SCARLET STREET as REBECCA is to FOREIGN CORRESPONDENT- in both cases, the (accomplished and capable) director was forced to compromise on the ending and the climax and not do it "his way"- and was then rewarded with more free rein on their follow-up film where they blew the doors off and made a far more interesting, compelling, and satisfyingly ended picture that has stood the test of time (with some debate) better than the initial outing on which they compromised.

Scarlet Street has a Kino release.  I am not sure if that is considered a restored version or not.

40 minutes ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Far more enticing than the movie actually was........but wasnt the ending of Rebecca the same as the book? How could he change it?

Perhaps in the same way, and just a year later after filming Rebecca, he (Hitchcock) changed the ending to Anthony Berkeley Cox's (under the pen-name Francis Iles) novel Before the Fact and ended up with the happier(but more of a cop-out) ending in his film Suspicion.

(...that's how)

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Dargo said:

Perhaps in the same way, and just a year later after filming Rebecca, he (Hitchcock) changed the ending to Anthony Berkeley Cox's (under the pen-name Francis Iles) novel Before the Fact and ended up with the happier(but more of a cop-out) ending in his film Suspicion.

(...that's how)

LOL. Well, Rebecca was a huge bestseller. There would have been an uproar if he changed the book's ending in some way and Selznick wouldnt have stood for it either........