Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

Jimmy Stewart actually had no sense of the story's gay subtext. "It's like we were acting in different movies," [John Dall] told me.

this is funny to me because, while i get that Stewart was one of the best actors ever, I'm not generally drawn to him- i get that he's brilliant, but I don't really feel anything about him even in his most iconic parts.

however, ROPE and DESTRY RIDES AGAIN are two performances he gave in which I find him very sexy- DISARMINGLY so in ROPE (the grey on the temples maybe?)

to me, ROPE is the great unsung James Stewart performance, although Mason would have been faaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous in the part I grant you.

Alan Rickman also played the part deliciously on a BBC Radio adaptation that you can find online, it's highly recommended.

TCM's head of programming, Charlie Tabesh, has informed me that, based on viewer feedback, there is a strong likelihood that Noir Alley will be scheduled at a different time in the near future, with a few possible time slots being considered. So perhaps the October 2017 schedule has yet to be made available because the programmers are rescheduling Noir Alley features for that month.

i'd be quite happy to see it get a prime time slot with an encore broadcast on Saturday and/or Sunday morning. That way both the Coasts and all the night owls as well as us old people who go to bed at 7:30 pm will be happy.

Actually, the issue was that once Zanuck saw the dailies he suddenly realized that Peggy was too young to play such a sexually provocative character. Zanuck feared a backlash against the studio, even though he'd made such a big deal of "discovering" Peggy for the role. John Stahl, the director, was angry about the change and Zanuck got rid of him as well. Peggy never shot a scene with Otto Preminger. She was crushed by all this—GUN CRAZY has proven to be a nice consolation. Who remembers FOREVER AMBER?

Thanks, Eddie, for taking the time to interact with the posters. You're a class act.

ps- just in case you do find GUN CRAZY online, be a pal and go easy on the guys.

(ie don't send a pair of goons with an orange-filled gym sock courtesy of Jack Warner....)

• Like 1

GREAT! I dont understand why they chose Sunday mornings in the first place.

I think Sunday morning is the proper place for Noir Alley since the majority of the films are totally overrated and merely serve as fodder for making money off them in books and film fests. If a person really wants to see such films then it is easy to access them for later viewing. The films in the series that have more cache are shown frequently anyway so why put the series on at a more prominent time better reserved for films of greater magnitude that deserve more air time. Or combine the series with the next up and coming thing, a reevaluation of beach movies from the 1960's with Frankie and Annette which delves into their inner motivations to be skyclad and sans artifice of the modern world with excessive sun beating down on streets wet with beach water residue representing a paganist world view.

I think Sunday morning is the proper place for Noir Alley since the majority of the films are totally overrated and merely serve as fodder for making money off them in books and film fests. If a person really wants to see such films then it is easy to access them for later viewing. The films in the series that have more cache are shown frequently anyway so why put the series on at a more prominent time better reserved for films of greater magnitude that deserve more air time. Or combine the series with the next up and coming thing, a reevaluation of beach movies from the 1960's with Frankie and Annette which delves into their inner motivations to be skyclad and sans artifice of the modern world with excessive sun beating down on streets wet with beach water residue representing a paganist world view.

You really believe the majority of the films (shown?), are totally overrated?   

Ok,  TCM didn't show Dead Reckoning (ha ha) and some of the films were weak but to me most are fine examples of the film noir style of filmmaking. 

• Like 1

i'd be quite happy to see it get a prime time slot with an encore broadcast on Saturday and/or Sunday morning. That way both the Coasts and all the night owls as well as us old people who go to bed at 7:30 pm will be happy.

You go to bed at 7:30pm? Now that is sad.

I said that POSSESSED would be presented on NOIR ALLEY "later in the year." It will air 10/1/17.

OK. Thanks for the clarification! I KNEW you said it, but I thought you said it would be showing NEXT week.

Actually, the issue was that once Zanuck saw the dailies he suddenly realized that Peggy was too young to play such a sexually provocative character. Zanuck feared a backlash against the studio, even though he'd made such a big deal of "discovering" Peggy for the role. John Stahl, the director, was angry about the change and Zanuck got rid of him as well. Peggy never shot a scene with Otto Preminger. She was crushed by all this—GUN CRAZY has proven to be a nice consolation. Who remembers FOREVER AMBER?

Thanks for that info. I wasnt aware Preminger wasnt the original director. Have never actually seen the film, although I know it occasionally pops up on the Fox channel...

Better reserved for films of greater magnitude that deserve more airtime? SHEESH. 95% of the stuff shown in primetime is stuff that's shown constantly year round. Plenty of time slots throughout the week for THAT.

• Like 1

Better reserved for films of greater magnitude that deserve more airtime? SHEESH. 95% of the stuff shown in primetime is stuff that's shown constantly year round. Plenty of time slots throughout the week for THAT.

Oh, okay whatever makes you happy. The hosting part could be improved with some more seasoned personnel I think though. I'm sure the ladies who like noir might want to pick a more toothsome host who had the Mitchum mystique rather than the Dick Powell blandness. And then having it on at 9pm on a Friday or Saturday nite would at least prove most auspicious an event to view.

The films in the series that have more cache are shown frequently anyway so why put the series on at a more prominent time better reserved for films of greater magnitude that deserve more air time. 

greater magnitude examples, please?

That would be late night fare for sure. 

LOL. I never have seen it..........

• Like 1

That would be late night fare for sure. 

Another film with great magnitude would be Beneath the Valley of the Ultra-Vixens. I've always thought Russ Meyer films were very noirish.

Yes, I regret not having time to talk about John Dall, but he's a deep story and I didn't want to get started and not follow through. Hope I have another chance. Considering his appearance today in ROPE, it's interesting to note that both he and Farley Granger (they are both gay, I trust you all know) had really hoped that Hitchcock would cast James Mason as their mentor, since they both laughed that they could easily be attracted to him. Farley told me that Jimmy Stewart actually had no sense of the story's gay subtext. "It's like we were acting in different movies," he told me. John Dall had a lot of personal issues that kept him off screen for much of the 1950s and he died under somewhat suspicious circumstances in his home in 1971 at only 52 years of age.

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post; I most appreciate it and I hope you do get a chance to talk about John Dall.   I have enjoyed your discussions about the noir movies presented even if they're movies I've seen before.  I look forward to more of the series in the future and hope you'll be back to talk about the films.  As I said on another thread, I even enjoy your Wine Club commercials (especially the Buena Vista - excellent wines, by the way) and TCM promo with Ben and Tiffany.  Thanks again.

I've always wondered what happened to John Dall. He had a promising start, then slipped into obscurity. He had a small part in Spartacus and a few other things I've seen. Remember seeing him on some 60s tv shows like Perry Mason that I've seen on tv. Wondered if his homosexuality was part of it....

Didnt know his death was "suspicious"....

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment on my post; I most appreciate it and I hope you do get a chance to talk about John Dall.   I have enjoyed your discussions about the noir movies presented even if they're movies I've seen before.  I look forward to more of the series in the future and hope you'll be back to talk about the films.  As I said on another thread, I even enjoy your Wine Club commercials (especially the Buena Vista - excellent wines, by the way) and TCM promo with Ben and Tiffany.  Thanks again.

Yes,  Eddie is a first class guy.   If you ever get to Sonoma CA,  make sure you go to the Buena Vista winery.   Nice setting, very friendly people,  and cool tasting room.   If the timing is right, I recommend people stop off in town and get something portable for lunch and make use of their picnic tables.    

• Like 2

I've always wondered what happened to John Dall. He had a promising start, then slipped into obscurity. He had a small part in Spartacus and a few other things I've seen. Remember seeing him on some 60s tv shows like Perry Mason that I've seen on tv. Wondered if his homosexuality was part of it....

Me neither.  Now I'm curious and would like to know more...

imdb says he died of a heart attack, but possibly punctured lung? The D.C. says heart attack. Maybe Eddie will come back with more details.........

This playing around about his death to create mystery sounds like the prelude to another boring celebrity biography in the making methinks. One way for the local pseudo-writers to make a buck I guess but anyone with some older books on Hollywood lives would already know the scoop on Dall.

I would say that is revisionist history concerning Peggy only being replaced due to looking too young to play the part. The real reason as I've heard from people like my childhood friend, Dan who used to hang out with his artist friends in Hollywood like Lyle Wheeler, was that it was common knowledge that Linda Darnell had the proper "ooomph" a la the style of Ann Sheridan but with more extant sex appeal and panache, and was more earthy by far than Cummins, hence she was needed for the part on that basis. This is why she took over the part and even though she'd had her problems with Preminger, the studio knew it was the best choice for the film. Dan's wife Jean, knew all the principal players from the art group's party circuits, like Lyle who worked on many of the studio's films, and he said Darnell would always have been the final choice due to her more sultry on-camera style that photographed in a lush and more comely way particularly for the part of Amber. Cummins just didn't have the proper look for the role even though she would later perform well in films like Curse of the Demon and the minor Gun Crazy. And by the way, many people remember Forever Amber, if they know film and its history of costume dramas. All the many films Darnell was in were graced by her unique and photogenic presence yet she had a down to earth quality that trumped other beauties in Hollywood.

• Like 1

Just finished watching Deadline at Dawn - what a wild ride that was.  I think I’m going to have to watch it again to better comprehend all the details.  

- To me this film was a big change of pace from the harder-edged films shown on Noir Alley so far, and I appreciate the variety of films being selected.  Much lighter tone for this one.

- Had not seen Paul Lukas in a role like this before, but he really carried the last half of the film.

- Loved the scene where the police are getting ready to interrogate Bill Williams - is this the first time that the Good Cop / Bad Cop routine has been explained?

- Eddie’s comments before and after were very enlightening, surprising, and even touching at the end.  Couldn’t agree with him more that Susan Hayward has never looked lovelier than she does in this film.

• Like 2

Just finished watching Deadline at Dawn - what a wild ride that was.  I think I’m going to have to watch it again to better comprehend all the details.  

- To me this film was a big change of pace from the harder-edged films shown on Noir Alley so far, and I appreciate the variety of films being selected.  Much lighter tone for this one.

- Had not seen Paul Lukas in a role like this before, but he really carried the last half of the film.

- Loved the scene where the police are getting ready to interrogate Bill Williams - is this the first time that the Good Cop / Bad Cop routine has been explained?

- Eddie’s comments before and after were very enlightening, surprising, and even touching at the end.  Couldn’t agree with him more that Susan Hayward has never looked lovelier than she does in this film.

A Joseph Calleia line always got me chuckling, he plays Val, brother of Edna Bartelli (Lola Lane), he is at Lester's looking at Constance Worth, Lester's squeeze, with a poop eating grin, he turns to Lester and remarks, "If she'd cut off her head she'd be pretty."

Sort of a screwball noir, 7/10
  • Like 2