Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

Just finished watching Deadline at Dawn -

- Had not seen Paul Lukas in a role like this before, but he really carried the last half of the film.

I don't really care for PAUL LUKAS as an actor in the few films of his that I have seen (including his Oscar winning turn in WATCH ON THE RHINE) but he is alright in this.

• Like 1

I don't really care for PAUL LUKAS as an actor in the few films of his that I have seen (including his Oscar winning turn in WATCH ON THE RHINE) but he is alright in this.

I think it was Bette Davis who once called Lukas, "That old N_z_!" I could be wrong as I'm getting senile so I'm sure someone will correct me but I don't think he was well liked much by a lot in Hollywood, and even my friend Dan had a run-in with him once. As for Watch on the Rhine, one thinks that Lillian Hellmann might have been later living in some of her stories in her reminiscences but who knows. Lukas can be effective in films but he's not my cup of tea either, so I agree with your overall consensus, Lorna.

Lovers of Noir:  if you haven't seen Born to Kill, watch/record it tomorrow morning.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

• Like 2

Lovers of Noir: if you haven't seen Born to Kill, watch/record it tomorrow morning. I promise you won't be disappointed.

Such a sick, depraved, amoral film.

(I like it.)

• Like 2

I think it was Bette Davis who once called Lukas, "That old N_z_!" I could be wrong as I'm getting senile so I'm sure someone will correct me but I don't think he was well liked much by a lot in Hollywood, and even my friend Dan had a run-in with him once. As for Watch on the Rhine, one thinks that Lillian Hellmann might have been later living in some of her stories in her reminiscences but who knows. Lukas can be effective in films but he's not my cup of tea either, so I agree with your overall consensus, Lorna.

Thank you!

(Interesting gossip too!)

Lovers of Noir:  if you haven't seen Born to Kill, watch/record it tomorrow morning.  I promise you won't be disappointed.

where I learned to know & LOVE Lawrence Tierney !

:D

lawrence-tierney.jpg

Reservoir_Joe.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the post, mr6666.

With the Noir Alley Facebook page, TCM web site, and now Eddie providing messages via Twitter as well as on the message board, it's getting hard to keep up with everything.

Not to mention there's an actual movie being shown on TCM once a week...

;)

Supoib intro on BORN TO KILL.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST GIVE THIS GUY A PRIME TIME SLOT ALREADY!!!!!!!

His intros and Outreau's are the only ones I don't mute.

• Like 3

I hope nobody minds me posting this in 2 places, but there was speculation that the Noir Alley times might change when the October schedule was released.  Per the monthly schedule that was apparently posted yesterday, it looks like Noir Alley will be at the same time on Sunday mornings, at least through October.

I did notice one difference - The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) is listed for Noir Alley on Oct. 29, in place of No Questions Asked (1951), which was on an original Noir Alley schedule that I copied a while back.  (Martha Ivers is now also shown for that day on the TCM Noir Alley web site.)  The web site schedule currently goes out through the end of January, and No Questions Asked is not listed for any of these months.

That's some story that E Muller has about Tierney. He should have donated his brain to science so they could find out if there was something off in him. All of his loose cannon behavior couldn't be blamed on drinking, although much of it probably can.

I hope nobody minds me posting this in 2 places, but there was speculation that the Noir Alley times might change when the October schedule was released. Per the monthly schedule that was apparently posted yesterday, it looks like Noir Alley will be at the same time on Sunday mornings, at least through October.

I did notice one difference - The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) is listed for Noir Alley on Oct. 29, in place of No Questions Asked (1951), which was on an original Noir Alley schedule that I copied a while back. (Martha Ivers is now also shown for that day on the TCM Noir Alley web site.) The web site schedule currently goes out through the end of January, and No Questions Asked is not listed for any of these months.

The only help that I can give is that MARTHA IVERS is in the public domain, and as such is often pulled out at the last minute to substitute when rights issues arise (I remember they ran it twice during Kirkdouglas' month when they didn't end up getting the rights to LONELY ARE THE BRAVE after all)

• Like 1

Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

Indeed. It never ceases to amaze me how many things I learn on this forum. Tierney played Elaine's father on Seinfeld, a very funny episode.

Indeed. It never ceases to amaze me how many things I learn on this forum. Tierney played Elaine's father on Seinfeld, a very funny episode.

+1

he was also never asked back because he allegedly pulled a knife on Jerry.

He also also voices the store security manager who busts Bart for stealing a copy of the game "bonecrusher" in a Christmas themed episode of THE SIMPSONS

Supoib intro on BORN TO KILL.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE JUST GIVE THIS GUY A PRIME TIME SLOT ALREADY!!!!!!!

His intros and Outreau's are the only ones I don't mute.

I know. Who's idea was this ridiculous time slot anyway???

• Like 2

Such a sick, depraved, amoral film.

(I like it.)

I know. You feel like you should take a shower afterwards.....

Most definitely! I recorded it. (I've seen it a few times, but worth returning to)........

Finally catching up with the last Noir Alley film before the Summer Under the Stars break...

(* Born to Kill spoilers ahead *)

I hope I won’t be pelted with stones if I say that I was somewhat disappointed in Born to Kill.  I did very much enjoy Eddie’s pre- and post- material as well as the amazing story about Lawrence Tierney in his later years from Eddie’s web site.  But for me there wasn’t much thrill in a story which is basically waiting to see if two amoral characters (plus the slimy sidekick) will have to pay for their misdeeds by the end.

The Lawrence Tierney character Sam was a complete monster, but a rather stupid one who could be easily goaded into taking action, even against someone who is trying to do him a favor, such as when Helen (played by Claire Trevor) and the sidekick were trying to get the private detective out of the way and Sam was so blind with jealousy he was ready to do them both in.

I did like Claire Trevor’s performance - you see Helen fighting against her nature by trying to hold on to her engagement to the good guy, but as stated in the film a big part of that could also be just wanting financial security.

And I really didn't buy that Helen’s sister could be charmed enough by the monster to be so eager to marry him right away.  Is this the kind of guy that women really want?  (Wouldn’t Sam do a great job taking over the newspaper!)

I also have to say (again ducking here) that the dialogue made me cringe in spots, primarily when Sam and Helen are revealing their inner feelings to one another about their love and how they can appreciate each other’s ruthlessness.

I did think the production was first rate, especially with an established top director such as Robert Wise, and Esther Howard’s supporting performance was moving. So overall there are many great parts but for me the total sum wasn’t a big success.  I’m with Eddie in wondering how the movie got made in the first place and other than sensationalism what was really the point.

(I will now retreat back to my hiding place for a while to wait for things to blow over.)

Cmovie,

don't feel like you ever have to apologize for not liking a film you see on TCM or anywhere else, these boards would be dishwater dull if all we did was sit around talking about how much we loved everything and everyone.

Some of my favorite interactions here have been with people who did not like movies that I did, and people who did like movies that I didn't. (or, for that matter, finding solidarity with someone else who wasn't particularly nuts about a movie that it seems like everyone else likes.)

I posted my own review of BORN TO KILL in the I JUST WATCHED thread, as I watched it last night in primetime AS well. I will say it is a film that DEFINITELY IMPROVES ON REPEAT VIEWINGS, so if we're all still here a couple of years or months from now, I'd say you should give it another try – I wasn't really nuts about it the first time I saw it myself.

• Like 2

I saw Born to Kill last night, and it's not exactly a movie that I can say I "like."  The protagonists were violent, depraved characters with no redeeming values.  That being said, I couldn't stop watching it to the bitter ( and I mean bitter) end.  Every character was morally corrupt, even the detective.  It says something about a film if the character with the most moral integrity (except for the Helen's stiff of a fiancee) is the aging prostitute/landlady, played by Esther Howard.  I had never seen this film before and one engaging pasttime is figuring out when and how Elisha Cook will get his.  Does he ever survive in any movie he's in?

• Like 2

I saw Born to Kill last night, and it's not exactly a movie that I can say I "like."  The protagonists were violent, depraved characters with no redeeming values.  That being said, I couldn't stop watching it to the bitter ( and I mean bitter) end.  Every character was morally corrupt, even the detective.  It says something about a film if the character with the most moral integrity (except for the Helen's stiff of a fiancee) is the aging prostitute/landlady, played by Esther Howard.  I had never seen this film before and one engaging pasttime is figuring out when and how Elisha Cook will get his.  Does he ever survive in any movie he's in?

rosebette, that's one of the wonders of Born to Kill:  immoral characters yet we can't stop watching until the bitter end.

Elisha Cook does survive his night in House on Haunted Hill.

I saw Born to Kill last night, I had never seen this film before and one engaging pasttime is figuring out when and how Elisha Cook will get his. Does he ever survive in any movie he's in?

He lives through THE MALTESE FALCON, but he does go to jail.