Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

Regarding the timeslot for Noir Alley, Eddie Muller has said that TCM will continue presenting the series on Sunday mornings through the end of January 2018, after which a change is being considered -- to midnight on either Friday or Saturday, according to multiple sources.

• Like 3

Regarding the timeslot for Noir Alley, Eddie Muller has said that TCM will continue presenting the series on Sunday mornings through the end of January 2018, after which a change is being considered -- to midnight on either Friday or Saturday, according to multiple sources.

Well I hope it is Midnight PDT,  otherwise I'll looking at some all nighters!

He lives through THE MALTESE FALCON, but he does go to jail.

Of course, he's the "fall guy" in that one.

Yes, those were the times suggested as alternatives in the member quiz they sent out........too bad we have to wait that long!

Since Eddie has been making the occasional 'good morning' welcome or reference to 'Sunday morning' in his Noir Alley intros it may make it difficult to move the show for a schedule change without bringing him back to the studio.  It's possible that Eddie has already recorded the wrappers for the films scheduled through January so TCM is electing to use those up before the time slot is moved.

I guess they could get Eddie to record some audio voice-overs that TCM could dub in to change 'Sunday morning' to 'Friday evening' etc. but I think we would notice. :)

• Like 1

Does anyone have the schedule up to January they can post? It may be on here somewhere, but there are so many pages to sift through. :(

Does anyone have the schedule up to January they can post? It may be on here somewhere, but there are so many pages to sift through. :(

Hibi,

Here's what I copied down:

Sep

Framed (1947) (Sep 3)

711 Ocean Drive (1950) (Sep 10)

In A Lonely Place (1950) (Sep 17)

Scandal Sheet (1952) (Sep 24)

Oct

Possessed (1947) (Oct 1)

They Won't Believe Me (1947) (Oct 8)

Side Street (1950) (Oct 15)

Raw Deal (1948) (Oct 22)

The Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946) (Oct 29)

Nov

Split Second (1953) (Nov 5)

Night And The City (1950) (Nov 12)

The Window (1949) (Nov 19)

Strangers On A Train (1951) (Nov 26)

Dec

Pushover (1954) (Dec 3)

The Breaking Point (1950) (Dec 10)

The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946) (Dec 17)

Jan 2018

Red Light (1949) (Jan 7)

Where Danger Lives (1950) (Jan 14)

The Threat (1949) (Jan 21)

Tomorrow Is Another Day (1951) (Jan 28).

• Like 3

Great that TCM secured the rights to the 20th Century Fox film Night and the City.

This is one of my top 10 noirs and features a great performance from Richard Widmark.   Widmark screen persona is more well rounded in this film then his previous 'real bad guy' roles.   He still bring a lot of energy and vitality to the role. 

There are also fine performance from British actors Googie Winters and Herbert Lom.    Gene Tierney is also in the film but her role isn't very developed.     

If you haven't seen this film and you're a fan of noir you're in for a treat.

The Threat is a film I haven't seen but at 66 minutes, this RKO picture is worth seeing even if it is only OK.    Charles McGraw plays the heavy and that is always worth seeing.

• Like 1

Great that TCM secured the rights to the 20th Century Fox film Night and the City.

This is one of my top 10 noirs and features a great performance from Richard Widmark.   Widmark screen persona is more well rounded in this film then his previous 'real bad guy' roles.   He still bring a lot of energy and vitality to the role. 

There are also fine performance from British actors Googie Winters and Herbert Lom.    Gene Tierney is also in the film but her role isn't very developed.     

If you haven't seen this film and you're a fan of noir you're in for a treat.

The Threat is a film I haven't seen but at 66 minutes, this RKO picture is worth seeing even if it is only OK.    Charles McGraw plays the heavy and that is always worth seeing.

Hasn't this been on before?  Seem to recall having seen it listed on cable info.  Maybe on FMC?  Saw it years ago.  May have to watch it again.

LOL. I seem to remember them showing it on a Sunday night once (not too late)....

i distinctly recall** seeing NIGHT AND THE CITY on TCM, QUITE POSSIBLY WHEN GENE TIERNEY was a SUTS featuree 2-3 years ago.

i remember being really impressed with how skillfully Widmark- who I had seen mostly in authoritative, alpha-male roles before- played such a spineless, Elisha Cook-level LOSER. I also recall liking Googie Withers in it quite a bit.

Most of all though, I was struck by how Gene Tierney is only in the film for ten minutes- TOPS. She's in the beginning and the very end. later on, I read Zanuck was trying to Help her out by letting her do a small role to cope with her mental problems at the time, but for such a BIG STAR to be in such a SMALL PART probably did not end up helping her in the end.

**yeah, i know my track record of "distinctly recalling" things is spotty.

BUT I DISTINCTLY RECALL THIS!

• Like 2

According to MovieCollectorOH's amazing database of TCM schedules, Night and the City (1950) was last shown on TCM in December of 2012.  (Just learning how to use this.)

I have my own modest TCM schedule data and can confirm that it has not been shown at least as far back as August 2014.

So LornaHF should get credit for having an even better memory than initially thought!

P.S. - I was able to check and Gene Tierney was featured in SUTS for August 1, 2015 and Night and the City was not part of the schedule for that day.

• Like 2

According to MovieCollectorOH's amazing database of TCM schedules, Night and the City (1950) was last shown on TCM in December of 2012.  (Just learning how to use this.)

I have my own modest TCM schedule data and can confirm that it has not been shown at least as far back as August 2014.

So LornaHF should get credit for having an even better memory than initially thought!

P.S. - I was able to check and Gene Tierney was featured in SUTS for August 1, 2015 and Night and the City was not part of the schedule for that day.

Thanks for this info.    It confirms what I posted which was: "Great that TCM secured the rights to the 20th Century Fox film Night and the City".

Because if it has been over 5 years since TCM leased the film,  they had to secure the rights again.   

Returning to Noir Alley after a month off.  I wonder what Eddie did with his vacation time?

Have to say that Framed was OK but not one that I would put on the Noir top shelf.  Seemed like a polished production but the story had too many leaps of faith for me.

Janis Carter was great to look at - there are some nice tributes to her in the Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow thread.  Don't recall seeing her before so I'd like to follow up to see if she's in anything else on TCM.

Returning to Noir Alley after a month off.  I wonder what Eddie did with his vacation time?

He went to the zoo and threw cigarette butts at the monkeys.

Have to say that Framed was OK but not one that I would put on the Noir top shelf.  Seemed like a polished production but the story had too many leaps of faith for me.

Janis Carter was great to look at - there are some nice tributes to her in the Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow thread.  Don't recall seeing her before so I'd like to follow up to see if she's in anything else on TCM.

So glad Noir Alley is back! I hadnt seen Framed before. There were some twists I didnt see coming, so I rated it better than average. Even if the overall plot was preposterous (waiting around for some look alike to turn up in a diner? Yeah, right)

I thought Janis Carter looked great, but her performance was just ok. Could've used more shading/fire.

What happened to Karen Morley? She only had one scene. She could've been cut entirely as it had nothing to do with the plot. I kept expecting her to pop up later in the film, but that was it. Wonder if she had other scenes that were cut?

• Like 2

What happened to Karen Morley? She only had one scene. She could've been cut entirely as it had nothing to do with the plot. I kept expecting her to pop up later in the film, but that was it. Wonder if she had other scenes that were cut?

It's a shame, her scene was good at establishing what a heel Barry Sullivan's character was!

Yeah, I suspect she had a few more scenes but they were cut. What little we see of her, didnt add anything to the plot, really