Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I personally enjoy wearing a cheesy blonde wig, conspicuous inconspicuous sunglasses and an ankle bracelet while wearing a towel when I write on these forums.

So speedy, should we warn your husband not to take any train trips for a while???

;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheCid said:

I don't dress for it and avoid alcohol in the mornings.  However, I am in my study and my wife has a collection of stuffed bears on top of a bookshelf.  One of them wears one of my father's ties that was probably purchased in the 30's.  Hand painted, very wide at the bottom and has horses in green, white and red on a blue background.  Also has colored areas in a mix of green, white and red.

Cool. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dargo said:

So speedy, should we warn your husband not to take any train trips for a while???

;)

Lol. 

We are going on a road trip in April--driving down to LA.  I'll tell him to watch his back.  Haha.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 11:40 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

for some reason, yes.

this came up a little while back.

(tbh, I've seen the film maybe 10 times or more and never once have I really liked it)

But then, why have you watched it 10 times? There must be something about it that keeps drawing you back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

But then, why have you watched IN A LONELY PLACE 10 times? There must be something about it that keeps drawing you back.

I worry sometimes that I’m too critical person, too much of a perfectionist. And it gets in the way of the way I see the world...

i *want* to like it, because So many others whose opinions I admire do, and because I admire the principles (BOGART, GRAHAME and RAY)so very, very much

but I dont

It’s also one of those flawed films that I watch because I think it could be so much better, I always think of little things here and there while I watch that would’ve made it better, and I always wonder about what might have been had they made the changes I think would’ve helped and had they kept the original ending of the film.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I worry sometimes that I’m too critical person, too much of a perfectionist. And it gets in the way of the way I see the world...

i *want* to like it, because So many others whose opinions I admire do, and because I admire the principles (BOGART, GRAHAME and RAY)so very, very much

but I dont

It’s also one of those flowered films that I watch because I think it could be so much better, I always think of little things here and there while I watch that would’ve made it better, and I always wonder about what might have been Had they made the changes I think would’ve helped and had they kept the original ending of the film.

That's admirable of you, Lorna; you're open-minded enough to want to give a film another chance (or actually, many chances) because others whose  opinions you respect like it. 

It also sounds kind of fun, the way you describe how you would kind of redo /remake "In a Lonely Place". Sounds like a creative way to watch a movie.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hibi said:

WHY is there no Noir Alley this wknd????? Does anyone know? Starting Oscar month early?

TCM is essentially cross-promoting the presentation of the SAG Awards on sister-channels TNT and TBS this coming Sunday evening by showing movies that feature SAG Life Achievement Award winners on Friday evening, Saturday all day, and Sunday daytime hours.  That wiped out the normal time slots for Noir Alley, so as an alternative Eddie is presenting two Noir films Sunday evening instead.  Both Act of Violence and In a Lonely Place have been featured on Noir Alley previously, so it will be interesting to see what Eddie says this time around.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

 

It also sounds kind of fun, the way you describe how you would kind of redo /remake "In a Lonely Place". 

If I could hop in the TARDIS and toss a note to Nic Ray re: LONELY PLACE, it would say:

1. Edit, or at least break up the locations of Bogart’s scene with Mildred.

2. NO VOICEOVER (However briefly it may be used)

3 MOVE the camera some

4 the sets need more character. Just A quick touch of redressing to make them look less cheap and inauthentic. (Lighting too.)

5 Is there anything in the budget for some location shooting? Some exteriors?

6 KEEP THE ORIGINAL ENDING!!!!!!!

7 Other than that though, great job. Better than I could do.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I worry sometimes that I’m too critical person, too much of a perfectionist. And it gets in the way of the way I see the world...

i *want* to like it, because So many others whose opinions I admire do, and because I admire the principles (BOGART, GRAHAME and RAY)so very, very much

but I dont

It’s also one of those flawed films that I watch because I think it could be so much better, I always think of little things here and there while I watch that would’ve made it better, and I always wonder about what might have been had they made the changes I think would’ve helped and had they kept the original ending of the film.

I also watch films I dislike multiple times.  I don't go into movies wanting to dislike them.  I want to love everything I watch.  Even if I dislike the film, if there's something about it I do like (actors, director, genre, etc.) I don't want to write it off.  Sometimes this open-minded attitude has helped me as it finally "clicked" for me and I loved it.  This has happened with A Foreign Affair and Vertigo.  There are other films like Love in the Afternoon and Irma La Douce that I keep watching, wanting to like it, but it hasn't happened yet.

Then there are other films, like Apocalypse Now which is a one and done.  I'm not sitting through that thing again. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

LA Noir - 1/27


"In honor of sister channel TNT's six-part limited series I Am the Night, TCM presents a double feature of highly celebrated films from 1949-50. ......
Act of Violence (1949), the first film noir on our double bill, was one of the earliest movies to focus on the troubled life of some veterans returning home from World War II. Fred Zinnemann directs a cast headed by Van Heflin as the survivor of a Nazi concentration camp who is hailed as a war hero after returning to California. Robert Ryan plays a fellow survivor in pursuit of Heflin because of his betrayal of fellow prisoners. Costarring are Janet Leigh as Heflin's wife, Phyllis Thaxter as Ryan's girlfriend and Mary Astor as a prostitute involved in the conflict. Bosley Crowther wrote in The New York Times that the film is a "tour de force" for Zinnemann, and that the director keeps "the pursued and the pursuer going at a grueling pace."

In a Lonely Place (1950), directed by Nicholas Ray and based on a novel by Dorothy B. Hughes, stars Humphrey Bogart as a hot-tempered, down-on-his-luck Hollywood screenwriter who is suspected of murdering a hatcheck girl. Gloria Grahame costars as the aspiring actress who falls in love with the writer despite his violent tendencies, with Frank Lovejoy and Carl Benton Reid playing police detectives investigating the crime. The movie was well-reviewed upon its premiere, and its critical reputation has only grown over the years. Critic Roger Ebert included it in his list of "great films," and L.A. Confidential (1997) director Curtis Hanson calls the artistic partnership between director Ray and actor Bogart "breathtaking."
 
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 10:33 PM, speedracer5 said:

I also watch films I dislike multiple times.  I don't go into movies wanting to dislike them.  I want to love everything I watch.  Even if I dislike the film, if there's something about it I do like (actors, director, genre, etc.) I don't want to write it off.  Sometimes this open-minded attitude has helped me as it finally "clicked" for me and I loved it.  This has happened with A Foreign Affair and Vertigo.  There are other films like Love in the Afternoon and Irma La Douce that I keep watching, wanting to like it, but it hasn't happened yet.

Then there are other films, like Apocalypse Now which is a one and done.  I'm not sitting through that thing again. 

YES!

There are also some films, like, say, THE GRAPES OF WRATH that are perfect- everything is done right, there's not a bad line or weak performance or single thing I'd cut or suggest be reworked: it is a rare occasion where I HAVE NO NOTES.

THAT SAID: I do not particularly want to watch THE GRAPES OF WRATH again anytime soon (possibly ever.)

For all its myriad faults and things that madden me, I'd sit through some, most, or all of IN A LONELY PLACE right now.

(and I keep meaning to re-read the source novel.)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i got a reminder that Too Late For Tears (1949) is coming up at 8p, Sun, Jan 27.

well, it looks like that film was replaced with Act of Violence (1949), but no reason was ever given.

Tears was preferred by me, and i'm at a loss as to why this flik would have been replaced. it's been shown before. in fact, recently. nothing against Act, just wondering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

i got a reminder that Too Late For Tears (1949) is coming up at 8p, Sun, Jan 27.

well, it looks like that film was replaced with Act of Violence (1949), but no reason was ever given.

Tears was preferred by me, and i'm at a loss as to why this flik would have been replaced. it's been shown before. in fact, recently. nothing against Act, just wondering.

Too Late for Tears is set in L.A. just like Act of Violence so it 'fit' the theme.   Too bad TCM couldn't show all 3 tonight.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Act of Vioence (1949) was a superb replacement for Tears. (Still would like to see Tears, though.) what made the movie super interesting was intro/exit comments by Eddie Muller. he sure can make a tricky film seem not so complicated.

coming up is Muller's favorite Noir, In a Lonely Place (1950). it'll be interesting to hear what he says about this flik. i thought it was a disappointment after seeing it for the first time about 10 years ago. i haven't changed my opinion since first my first view. we'll see...

Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched both and enjoyed both films.  When "Silent Sunday Night" started, I decided to continue on the noir train and I watched Sweet Smell of Success.  I love the music.  I also love the cinematography in this film.  In many ways, the style of this film reminds me of Face in the Crowd

Both 'Success' and 'Crowd,' were made when the production code was on its way out and have a grittier aesthetic.  I like the way both films are shot.  With 'Success' especially, I appreciate that the film wasn't a series of glamour close-ups.  Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis at times are shot with the camera looking up at them; or the composition of the scene features one character very close-up in the frame with other characters a bit off to the side and behind. 

Are there other films from this era that feature this same type of cinematography/aesthetic?

Link to post
Share on other sites

well, In a Lonely Place came up a little in my book, but it still is kind of flat in my mind. gets a 7/10 from me. i still don't get why Muller has so much love for this film.

and SpeedRacer, regarding your Success/Face inquiry, give Kiss Me Deadly (1955) a look, if you haven't already. all the amps are turned up, way up for this one. Spillane's Mike Hammer didn't operate with same set of rules as most.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

well, In a Lonely Place came up a little in my book, but it still is kind of flat in my mind. gets a 7/10 from me. i still don't get why Muller has so much love for this film.

and SpeedRacer, regarding your Success/Face inquiry, give Kiss Me Deadly (1955) a look, if you haven't already. all the amps are turned up, way up for this one. Spillane's Mike Hammer didn't operate with same set of rules as most.

I read I The Jury about 40 years ago.  Just recently picked up a set of three of Spillane's books.  Boring.  He goes on and on pontificating and endlessly setting the scenes and characters.  I don't remember that from Jury. The movies and TV shows were much better.  One of them is Kiss Me Deadly, but I haven't got to it yet - may never.

Have seen the movie, but was not all that impressed.

As for In a Lonely Place, have seen it a couple of times, but here again not really impressed.  I like Bogart, Gloria Graham, Frank Lovejoy and Jeff (Jean Marie) Donald (Lovejoy's wife).  Would like to have heard Eddie's commentary on both movies, but not enough to record them.  Watched Shameless also.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"coming up is Muller's favorite Noir, In a Lonely Place (1950). it'll be interesting to hear what he says about this flik. i thought it was a disappointment after seeing it for the first time about 10 years ago. i haven't changed my opinion since first my first view. we'll see... "

===========================

was disappointed in his rather 'chintzy' remarks for a supposed FAV film  <_<

(maybe ran out of time, having to plug the latest TNT/Chris Pine series......?)

:wacko:

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I read I The Jury about 40 years ago.  Just recently picked up a set of three of Spillane's books.  Boring.  He goes on and on pontificating and endlessly setting the scenes and characters.  I don't remember that from Jury. The movies and TV shows were much better.  One of them is Kiss Me Deadly, but I haven't got to it yet - may never.

THIS.

I do not know how many different times i have tried to read numerous works by SPILLANE and I never make it further than 20 pages in.

The guy is the store-brand Raymond Chandler.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I read I The Jury about 40 years ago.  Just recently picked up a set of three of Spillane's books.  Boring.  He goes on and on pontificating and endlessly setting the scenes and characters.  I don't remember that from Jury. The movies and TV shows were much better.  One of them is Kiss Me Deadly, but I haven't got to it yet - may never.

Have seen the movie, but was not all that impressed.

As for In a Lonely Place, have seen it a couple of times, but here again not really impressed.  I like Bogart, Gloria Graham, Frank Lovejoy and Jeff (Jean Marie) Donald (Lovejoy's wife).  Would like to have heard Eddie's commentary on both movies, but not enough to record them.  Watched Shameless also.

I kinda get a kick out of Spillane but I also find the cracks made by Paddy Chayefsky in Marty about Spillane's writing skills or lack thereof, hilarious.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THIS.

I do not know how many different times i have tried to read numerous works by SPILLANE and I never make it further than 20 pages in.

The guy is the store-brand Raymond Chandler.

Maybe you just have better taste than to read books with chicks named Velda, Lorna?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...