Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i have to admit that i did not immediately take to Eddie Muller's noir alley. I had never heard of him because i never looked, i suppose. I had an aversion to many of the films from the late 40s to early-mid 50s due to the over saturation of anti commie propaganda stuff, i missed and reacted against all those greats who got black listed. i was young during those years so i was not too interested in some of them anyway, others were ok, but i did grow into it. as with Eddie Muller. he is a great host, has the best personal reservoir of facts on demand i have seen in a bit. In this way can i compare him to Robt Osborne who was amazing, encyclopedic in his knowledge and combined it with a million,nearly i bet, personal memories. I never was much of a backstory or side story for that matter person. i liked the movies or didn't. but people like Robert Osborne and ,now, Eddie Muller make me aware of so many aspects and more areas i never considered. i won't go into it all here. But this addition to tcm has really grown on me to the point that i look forward to it. and, not so much for the movies as much as to hear what Eddie has to say about them , the personnel including cast but not only-the directors of departments and how the movie was put together etc , are now of extreme interest to me. so i need to thank him here for whatever its worth.

• Like 3

I too, am glad Eddie and Noir Alley are back. While it wasn't one of my favorites, today's offering, D.O.A., was entertaining. Like johnniedoo I think Eddie's comments before and after each film are great. Knowing the Hollywood back story of these movies really adds to my enjoyment. Today marks the beginning of the third year of Noir Alley. Happy Birthday, Eddie and here's wishing you many, many more.

• Like 1

I'm not too crazy about Mr. Muller's intro to DOA. This is one of my favorite noir's. Having an innocent, and rather shallow, person discover he's been poisoned, and having a short time to find his murderer, is a great story and well executed by this film. Never thought to compare it to a "Looney Tunes Cartoon", or compare Edmond O'Brien's preformance to "Daffy Duck".
I have an old recording (around 2015) of Ben Mankiewicz intro to this film and it is much more informative and appreciative.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 3/8/2019 at 5:27 PM, LawrenceA said:

Impact is in the public domain. It's been on TCM a few times, and is scheduled to be on again in April.

On Noir Alley in April or just on the schedule?

17 hours ago, Firkle54 said:

I'm not too crazy about Mr. Muller's intro to DOA. This is one of my favorite noir's. Having an innocent, and rather shallow, person discover he's been poisoned, and having a short time to find his murderer, is a great story and well executed by this film. Never thought to compare it to a "Looney Tunes Cartoon", or compare Edmond O'Brien's preformance to "Daffy Duck".
I have an old recording (around 2015) of Ben Mankiewicz intro to this film and it is much more informative and appreciative.

Yeah, well, personally I was just a little put off that Eddie never mentioned anything at all either in his intro or out-tro about that sultry as all hell brunette Laurette Luez who played Luther Adler's moll in this thing!

Laurette_Luez_and_Luther_Adler_in_DOA.jp

(...and so there's that too) ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, well, personally I was just a little put off that Eddie never mentioned anything either in his intro or out-tro about that sultry as all hell brunette Laurette Luez who played Luther Adler's moll in this thing!

Laurette_Luez_and_Luther_Adler_in_DOA.jp

(...and so there's that too) ;)

So has Laurette replaced Yvonne Craig in your fantasy life, Dar?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, CaveGirl said:

So has Laurette replaced Yvonne Craig in your fantasy life, Dar?

LOL

I guess that would all depend upon what or which kind of "fantasy" I might be having at the moment, CG.

Let's say if at one time I'm inclined to fantasize about the "sultry-sexy" type, then the newly discovered by me Laurette here would probably fill that bill, and although she'd still be hard-pressed to ever replace Ava in this regard.

BUT, if my fantasies would tend toward more the "cute-sexy" type, then Yvonne would still be right up there at the top.

(...as they say, "Variety is the spice of life", ya know)  ;)

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, Firkle54 said:

You're probably right about Eddie's intro. I guess comparing it to Looney Tunes was a bit much. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 hours ago, Firkle54 said:

Attention!

Note to all...though I agree wholeheartedly with Firkle, I am not Firkle, just because I agree with him about Muller.

One can actually agree with a poster here and yet still not be that poster, as unbelievable as that sounds.

I am also not related in any way to members of the Farkle family from "Laugh-In", if anyone wondered. If you see me liking more posts by Firkle, save yourself some worry or paying off detective agencies to do background searches on either of us, by assuming I am also him/her just due to our similar thought patterns.

Thanks for listening.

36 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

You're probably right about Eddie's intro. I guess comparing it to Looney Tunes was a bit much. 

There have been multiple discussion at this forum with regard to O'Brien's performance and many feel it was over-the-top \ too dramatic \ over done facial expressions \ how he says 'Paula'  etc....     

The film is still a solid noir but it is interesting to image if an actor like Mitchum had played the lead instead of someone like O'Brien;  (just using Mitchum as an iconic noir actor that had a screen persona that was vastly different than O'Brien,,,,  but Mitchum may have been too-much 'the other way' for the role).   

Bottom line for me;  I'm with Dargo - I'm going to keep things positive and focus on Laurette Luez!    (who made 4 films in 1950,  but didn't catch on). 

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

daffy-duck.jpg

"Thay, whath's wrong with O'Brien bein' compared to me here anyway?! What am I? Chopped liver here or thomethin'???"

• Haha 5
40 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I just watched the intro and outro on Youtube, I though he made a viable point.

I didnt necessarily agree, but I could see his point. After many viewings I still can't keep all the plot elements straight. Seems a bit much to poison the guy as he didnt know anything in the first place (O'Brien).

• Like 1

I was hoping Edward would throw some light on the instrument or sound effect

used when O'Brien sees a pretty woman in the first part of the picture. That

always cracks me up. When you see clips of O'Brien running around it looks

a little wacky, but dispersed throughout the movie, it's less so. The close up

shots of the musicians look like something from Reefer Madness. And last

but not least, Pamela Britton is so sweet and sexy as Paula. She could trap

me any old time. 

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I was hoping Edward would throw some light on the instrument or sound effect

used when O'Brien sees a pretty woman in the first part of the picture. That

always cracks me up. When you see clips of O'Brien running around it looks

a little wacky, but dispersed throughout the movie, it's less so. The close up

shots of the musicians look like something from Reefer Madness. And last

but not least, Pamela Britton is so sweet and sexy as Paula. She could trap

me any old time. 

LOL! I forgot to look for that musical motif. That segment also reminded me of Reefer Madness.

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL! I forgot to look for that musical motif. That segment also reminded me of Reefer Madness.

It happens after he checks into the St. Francis hotel in SF and sees all the pretty models

and merchandise babes there. After that he's too busy knowing that he is going to die

to notice. Even though I've seen it many times before, that sound still gives me a chuckle.

3 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

It happens after he checks into the St. Francis hotel in SF and sees all the pretty models

and merchandise babes there. After that he's too busy knowing that he is going to die

to notice. Even though I've seen it many times before, that sound still gives me a chuckle.

I'll look for it next time!

23 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

daffy-duck.jpg

"Yeah, well, they wouldn'ta had to use that cheesy side-whistle sound effect if I HAD been the lead in this picture! But no, they went with that hack O'Brien guy instead!"

• Haha 2

And incidentally, Eddie was wrong about O'Brien going to Frisco for the convention. He knew nothing about it. He just went there on vacation and to sow a few oats.....

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

daffy-duck.jpg

"Yeah, well, they wouldn'ta had to use that cheesy side-whistle sound effect if I HAD been the lead in this picture! But no, they went with that hack O'Brien guy instead!"

Plus Mr. Duck has his own sound effects. What they needed to go along with the sound effect is an

animation showing O'Brien's eyes shooting a few feet out of his head, spinning around crazily and

then going back into his head like the old time cartoons.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Hibi said:

And incidentally, Eddie was wrong about O'Brien going to Frisco for the convention. He knew nothing about it. He just went there on vacation and to sow a few oats.....

I didn't know he said that, but that was incorrect. O'Brien was there to try to pick up some

dames. He had the phone number of that hot little hep cat from the jazz club and was going

to call her until he got a call from Paula and then tore the number up and gave it a quick

burial in the garbage can.

12 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I didn't know he said that, but that was incorrect. O'Brien was there to try to pick up some

dames. He had the phone number of that hot little hep cat from the jazz club and was going

to call her until he got a call from Paula and then tore the number up and gave it a quick

burial in the garbage can.

LOL. Yeah, he briefly mentioned it in the intro. He needs to watch the film again.

• Like 1