Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

22 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I TOTALLY RECOGNIZE HIM FROM “THE BAND WAGON” NOW!!!

wow, what a 180!!!!

He also appeared in All My Children for many years....

16 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

And George Murphy's dance career went up in smoke the day that MGM signed Gene Kelly. LOL

I didn't know that. I enjoy some musicals, but I can't say it's my favorite type of

Hollywood movie. That's why I didn't know much about Murphy. He did a bit of a

Dick Powell thing, switching to dramatic and noir roles later in his career. And he

was very cultivated in Border Incident.

8 hours ago, TheCid said:

But he got to go to Washington and learn new dance steps as a US Senator.

Yes. I can never remember what office he held. It was US Senator from California from

1965 to 1971. I also didn't know that John Tunney, who defeated Murph in the 1970

election, was the son of former heavyweight champ Gene Tunney. It appears that Murphy

started the Senate candy desk, so he couldn't have been too bad. :)

Quicksand letdown. I had to laugh at there just happening to be a big quicksand pit

in that particular part of the border. I did a quick check and, like scorpions and black

widow spiders, quicksand isn't that dangerous, being more dense than the human body.

So a whole plot element of many jungle movies is just a fugazi. There's still the black

mamba though.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

I didn't know that. I enjoy some musicals, but I can't say it's my favorite type of

Hollywood movie. That's why I didn't know much about Murphy. He did a bit of a

Dick Powell thing, switching to dramatic and noir roles later in his career. And he

was very cultivated in Border Incident.

As a kid, I was a real big fan of George Murphy because he tap danced with Shirley Temple.

If you've never seen it, you must take a look at a Judy Garland musical classic called "For Me and My Gal", which was directed by the great Busby Berkeley. It was Gene Kelly's first movie Musical. Until Gene showed up, George was going to have the lead and be with Judy in the final fade-out. But that didn't happen, and Gene became a bigger tap dance star in the 40s than even Fred Astaire.

And the rest is tap history. 

George went on to do pr for MGM and ended up the president of the Screen Actors Guild-- eventually becoming a California US Senator. His career became a template for his good friend Ronald Reagan. George also influenced Shirley Temple and encouraged her to go into government service.

All three of those Stars proved that there is life after Hollywood. LOL

44 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I was strictly devoted to NBC soaps.

LOL. I never could get into them long term. (I don't mean NBC, just soaps in general)...

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

the quicksand was the one thing I didn't like about the movie.

I have spent some time and worked in horticulture all over southern california and I AINT NEVER SEEN NO QUICKSAND OR ANYTHING LIKE IT ANYWHERE NEAR THERE. I don't think there's enough moisture in SoCal to create quicksand.

and it looked like COCOA WHEATS.

I actually never ran into any in Montana but I actually ran into some here in NY. But I'm sure it's around anywhere you have flood channels. 

I'm a fishing guide so I'm in floodplains and river bottoms a lot. One day I trying to make my way to the edge of the river I'm weaving my way through the brush. It's slow going with a rod in hand. I come across a dry overflow channel its a dry gravel sandy bottom. Hey I'll just follow it to the river. I going along the generally "U" shaped trough. I'm getting closer to the river, I can hear it. I come to a little wider part of the trough it looks like the same sun baked dry sandy bottom I've been walking on. But it wasn't. Apparently it was a deeper hole gouged out by flood waters that had filled up with just enough sand mixed with water to hold it in a suspension. A suspension that was just thick enough that the top of it, exposed to the sun and air was completely dry looking so it matched perfectly the solid channel bottom I was hiking down. Luckily I just took one step into it and jumped back onto solid ground.  

So in the film in the bottom of a canyon that probably has occasional flash floods I could see the same scenario as I ran into.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

WOW! How deeply did you sink?

Somehow that sounds like an appropriate question for a thread about noir.

ps: There's a noir film, you may have seen it, Hibi, called "Quicksand". But the word is used metaphorically rather than literally in this 1950 film starring Mickey Rooney. It's not bad, though. Wonder if Eddie will ever show it? (Perhaps he doesn't want to sink that low...)

• Haha 2
6 hours ago, Hibi said:

He also appeared in All My Children for many years....

Yeah, I've heard that somewhere.

Oh wait, that was from me earlier today, wasn't it.

(...sorry, never mind)

LOL

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I TOTALLY RECOGNIZE HIM FROM “THE BAND WAGON” NOW!!!

wow, what a 180!!!!

Lorna (AND Hibi, IF by any apparently VERY slim chance you might now run across THIS post of mine AND actually READ it, AND seein' as how YOU have now expressed an interest in this thread of catching James Mitchell in other things than in Border Incident...LOL), but Mitchell also guest starred, as an actor, in a number of television series from the late-'50s through the late-'70s, and before concentrating his acting career as a cast member of All My Children in 1979 and until his death in 2010.

(...oh and btw Hibi, that is once again IF you actually see AND read this post of mine here, LOL, yep, as you said earlier in this thread, James Mitchell WAS certainly a handsome man, wasn't he...I always wished I had cheekbones like his, in fact!) ;)

6 hours ago, Princess of Tap said:

As a kid, I was a real big fan of George Murphy because he tap danced with Shirley Temple.

If you've never seen it, you must take a look at a Judy Garland musical classic called "For Me and My Gal", which was directed by the great Busby Berkeley. It was Gene Kelly's first movie Musical. Until Gene showed up, George was going to have the lead and be with Judy in the final fade-out. But that didn't happen, and Gene became a bigger tap dance star in the 40s than even Fred Astaire.

And the rest is tap history. 

George went on to do pr for MGM and ended up the president of the Screen Actors Guild-- eventually becoming a California US Senator. His career became a template for his good friend Ronald Reagan. George also influenced Shirley Temple and encouraged her to go into government service.

All three of those Stars proved that there is life after Hollywood. LOL

I don't want to be a crank, but while I enjoy many of the songs that are performed in

musicals, when it comes to dancing, count me out. Life after Hollywood, at least for

California Republicans. 

My mom used to watch the NBC soap operas. I guess that after doing the housework, it was

time to relax, have a brewski and watch the soaps. Like sand through the hourglass............

I would come home from school, make a few wisecracks about Mack and Rachel and then run

like hell. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

My mom used to watch the NBC soap operas. I guess that after doing the housework, it was

time to relax, have a brewski and watch the soaps. Like sand through the hourglass............

I would come home from school, make a few wisecracks about Mack and Rachel and then run

like hell. 

LOL

And I for a while and during a time my union was on strike against the airline I worked for, actually got into a couple of the ABC network soaps, such as the aforementioned All My Children (and where I first noticed the ALSO aforementioned cheekbones of James Mitchell AND how tiny and really not very sexy Susan Lucci was...nope, could never understand why in hell all the men on that show were supposed to be captivated by her) and also General Hospital.

(...the latter during the time that whole "Luke and Laura" thing was all the rage)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

LOL

And I for a while and during a time my union was on strike against the airline I worked for, actually got into a couple of the ABC network soaps, such as the aforementioned All My Children (and where I first noticed the ALSO aforementioned cheekbones of James Mitchell AND how tiny and really not very sexy Susan Lucci was...nope, could never understand why in hell all the men on that show were supposed to be captivated by her) and also General Hospital.

(...the latter during the time that whole "Luke and Laura" thing was all the rage)

Yeah, Luke and Laura was one of those TV phenomenas where just about everyone had

heard of them, whether they watched the show or not. I recall that Constance Ford,

who I didn't know from Eve at the time, played Rachel's mother on Another World for

decades. Whenever there was a really big problem she would invite people into her

kitchen for a cup of coffee and work everything out.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

Yeah, Luke and Laura was one of those TV phenomenas where just about everyone had heard of

them, whether they watched the show or not. I recall that Constance Ford, who I didn't know from

Eve at the time, played Rachel's mother on Another World for decades. Whenever there was a really big problem she would invite people into her kitchen for a cup of coffee and work everything out.

What, they couldn't get Virginia Christine for the part or somethin'???

(...I guess Folger's held her to some kind'a strict contract, huh)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

What, they couldn't get Virginia Christine for the part or somethin'???

(...I guess Folger's held her to some kind'a strict contract, huh)

I don't know who came first. I'd guess that Constance's coffee klatch discussions were

for more mature audiences though. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I don't know who came first. I'd guess that Constance's coffee klatch discussions were

for more mature audiences though. 

Actually here Vautrin, I've just done a little internet investigation about this, and here's what I've found...

Evidently, the producers of that soap opera actually DID contact Virginia and offered her the role of the lady who dispenses wise counsel to the other actresses while seated at her kitchen table and imbibing a nice cup of coffee.

However, because of her insistence upon a role also being written in for her husband Fritz, and with then the producers and writers of the soap opera unable to figure out a way to have a character noted for making that popping sound with his mouth and hand become a regular on their program but still somehow make it believable to their television audience........

(...well, long story short, they went with Constance Ford instead, and who it seems pressed for no such additional stipulations added to her contract)

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Dargo said:

Lorna (AND Hibi, IF by any apparently VERY slim chance you might now run across THIS post of mine AND actually READ it, AND seein' as how YOU have now expressed an interest in this thread of catching James Mitchell in other things than in Border Incident...LOL), but Mitchell also guest starred, as an actor, in a number of television series from the late-'50s through the late-'70s, and before concentrating his acting career as a cast member of All My Children in 1979 and until his death in 2010.

(...oh and btw Hibi, that is once again IF you actually see AND read this post of mine here, LOL, yep, as you said earlier in this thread, James Mitchell WAS certainly a handsome man, wasn't he...I always wished I had cheekbones like his, in fact!) ;)

I read it! I remembered the ALL MY CHILDREN thing...I was just replying to Hibi!

(don’t shoot)

7 hours ago, Vautrin said:

like hell. 

DONT YOU DARE BESMIRCH THE LOVE OF MACK AND RACHEL!!!!!!!!

Do you have any idea the odds they had to overcome to find their happiness? The relentless plotting of Mack’s daughter Iris? The attempted murder of Rachel by Janice Frame? The controversy over the paternity of their son Matt?

God I miss soaps. There’s just no way you can explain to people born in the 21st-century the chokehold they had on your life when there were only three networks and no Internet.

1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

God I miss soaps. There’s just no way you can explain to people born in the 21st-century the chokehold they had on your life when there were only three networks and no Internet.

On the other hand Lorna, without the Internet, nobody would be able to dish about what they just saw and discuss the finer points of the several OMG moments that each episode provided.  Although, I'm fairly certain plenty of folks got on the phone as soon as the closing credits ran so they could talk to one of their 'besties' about the episode they had just watched.

From 1972-1976, I was reeled in for a time to 'Young and the Restless'.  Then I became engrossed with college and work and drifted away from the show.

• Like 1