Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

13 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

One leg up to the knee. My other leg was on terra firma.

Good thing!

10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Lorna (AND Hibi, IF by any apparently VERY slim chance you might now run across THIS post of mine AND actually READ it, AND seein' as how YOU have now expressed an interest in this thread of catching James Mitchell in other things than in Border Incident...LOL), but Mitchell also guest starred, as an actor, in a number of television series from the late-'50s through the late-'70s, and before concentrating his acting career as a cast member of All My Children in 1979 and until his death in 2010.

(...oh and btw Hibi, that is once again IF you actually see AND read this post of mine here, LOL, yep, as you said earlier in this thread, James Mitchell WAS certainly a handsome man, wasn't he...I always wished I had cheekbones like his, in fact!) ;)

Yes, those cheekbones! I'm sure I've seen him in some films (Bandwagon for sure) Just never knew who he was as he didnt have big parts most of the time...

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I read it! I remembered the ALL MY CHILDREN thing...I was just replying to Hibi!

(don’t shoot)

Yeah, I know YOU read it, Lorna.

(...my earlier little "un-holstered" jibe was also directed to Hibi)

re-derailing, as far as I am concerned, this is the finest onscreen depiction of quicksand ever captured, everything else is but a pale imitator.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, I know YOU read it, Lorna.

(...my earlier little "un-holstered" jibe was also directed to Hibi)

Why am I singled out? I dont pay enough attention to you? LOL.

23 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Why am I singled out? I dont pay enough attention to you? LOL.

Nah, that's not it, Hibi. It's just that over time I've noticed more than a few occasions where I've added some info germane to some thread's topic (and yeah surprising, WITHOUT going for an easy joke) and then later to discover you have subsequently submitted the very same info into them at a later time.

Admittedly, it doesn't happen all THAT often, but I still have noticed it happening more with you than with anyone else. And thus the reason for my earlier little jibe directed to you.

(...that's all I'm sayin' here, and perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned this at all, and so just forget it then if you will)

there are also certain posters with a real propensity for using ALL CAPS, bold print, LARGE FONTS, colored text, and GIFS and sometimes they end up unfairly distracting from the work of others....

(pity the poor souls, they can't help it.)

• Haha 4

On 4/2/2019 at 11:32 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

ps- It also was probably not a Studebaker Battery they had GEORGE strapped to, if El Cid (or anyone else) wants to fill in the specifics of what the make and model was, feel free (it was a surprising scene because you just know there were guys in the audience in 1949 who were like "whoa, we gotta do this!")

I didn't pay attention to the car as the scene was so good.  Don't really recall anything about the car.  Searched on imcdb.org. for cars in Border Incident, but none for the "shocking" scene.

21 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I actually never ran into any in Montana but I actually ran into some here in NY. But I'm sure it's around anywhere you have flood channels. 

I'm a fishing guide so I'm in floodplains and river bottoms a lot. One day I trying to make my way to the edge of the river I'm weaving my way through the brush. It's slow going with a rod in hand. I come across a dry overflow channel its a dry gravel sandy bottom. Hey I'll just follow it to the river. I going along the generally "U" shaped trough. I'm getting closer to the river, I can hear it. I come to a little wider part of the trough it looks like the same sun baked dry sandy bottom I've been walking on. But it wasn't. Apparently it was a deeper hole gouged out by flood waters that had filled up with just enough sand mixed with water to hold it in a suspension. A suspension that was just thick enough that the top of it, exposed to the sun and air was completely dry looking so it matched perfectly the solid channel bottom I was hiking down. Luckily I just took one step into it and jumped back onto solid ground.  

So in the film in the bottom of a canyon that probably has occasional flash floods I could see the same scenario as I ran into.

When I was young and dumber, some of us guys used to go and explore the "desert" near where we lived.  It was a huge open area with high banks all around it.  You could walk on it and the "dirt" was mostly cracked into lots of sections less than about a square foot.  On some occasions though, you would hit a spot and sink up to your knees.  Then have to explain to your mother how you got your pants, socks and shoes so filthy.

Of course, it wasn't a desert in coastal South Carolina, but the area next to the harbor where they dumped all the sediment whenever they dredged the harbor.  I guess at the right time, you could have sank much lower depending on how fresh the "product" was.  As Cigarjoe pointed out, the top layer of something like this could dry very quickly and appear solid.

• Like 1

Re: The possibility of quicksand in the desert Southwest. Looky here. Well whaddaya know?!...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actually here Vautrin, I've just done a little internet investigation about this, and here's what I've found...

Evidently, the producers of that soap opera actually DID contact Virginia and offered her the role of the lady who dispenses wise counsel to the other actresses while seated at her kitchen table and imbibing a nice cup of coffee.

However, because of her insistence upon a role also being written in for her husband Fritz, and with then the producers and writers of the soap opera unable to figure out a way to have a character noted for making that popping sound with his mouth and hand become a regular on their program but still somehow make it believable to their television audience........

(...well, long story short, they went with Constance Ford instead, and who it seems pressed for no such additional stipulations added to her contract)

If soap writers couldn't find a role for anybody at all they aren't real soap writers. Fritz

could be the neighborhood eccentric type who seems a little weird but is shown to be

harmless and even entertains the kiddies at the Christmas party with his audio tricks

and is called on to say grace at the Christmas dinner. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

DONT YOU DARE BESMIRCH THE LOVE OF MACK AND RACHEL!!!!!!!!

Do you have any idea the odds they had to overcome to find their happiness? The relentless plotting of Mack’s daughter Iris? The attempted murder of Rachel by Janice Frame? The controversy over the paternity of their son Matt?

God I miss soaps. There’s just no way you can explain to people born in the 21st-century the chokehold they had on your life when there were only three networks and no Internet.

That's just what made their love so special, all the obstacles they had to overcome. I

don't recall many of the details as I might watch along with my mother for only ten or

fifteen minutes. I did think that Mack, even when he grew his hair longer, was a tad too

old for Rachel, but to each their own. Maybe she could have whipped up a 

sculpture titled Old Man Descending a Staircase (at 3 a.m. to pee). But I agree, there

was nothing quite like soapoperaland, though I was just a bystander.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

God I miss soaps. There’s just no way you can explain to people born in the 21st-century the chokehold they had on your life when there were only three networks and no Internet.

Oh, I don't know they actually may relate to Dark Shadows if you could get them to sit down and watch it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Oh, I don't know they actually may relate to Dark Shadows if you could get them to sit down and watch it.

Dark Shadows moved along very,, very, slowly.     I don't think many millennials would have the patience to watch something that develops so slowly.   E.g. one or two plot points pushed per episode.    (especially if they have to view episodes back-to-back instead of one-per-day).

In fact I had this 'issue' when Decades had their binge series and featured Dark Shadows.    (but one good thing was that I could miss a few and still follow where the story was going).

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Dark Shadows moved along very,, very, slowly.     I don't think many millennials would have the patience to watch something that develops so slowly.   E.g. one or two plot points pushed per episode.    (especially if they have to view episodes back-to-back instead of one-per-day).

In fact I had this 'issue' when Decades had their binge series and featured Dark Shadows.    (but one good thing was that I could miss a few and still follow where the story was going).

With the coffin set you can watch the whole entire show something like over 2,000 episodes. If we get on a Dark Shadows kick the wife and I will watch one disc straight through in about 3 hrs two weeks worth, while we are doing other things.  You can fast forward the day before teaser before the title, and the end credits to zip it along.

The first two hundred episodes were quite gothic, then the supernatural elements took off.

17 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

With the coffin set you can watch the whole entire show something like over 2,000 episodes. If we get on a Dark Shadows kick the wife and I will watch one disc straight through in about 3 hrs two weeks worth, while we are doing other things.  You can fast forward the day before teaser before the title, and the end credits to zip it along.

The first two hundred episodes were quite gothic, then the supernatural elements took off.

Hey, I dig it.    But we were not raised in an age where continues stimuli is all the rage (if not a must).

E.g. hasn't editing in movies changed in that there are much, much shorter scenes and quick-cuts then 'back in the day'? 

I am bored to tears with Dark Shadows right now (on Decades) First stupid David went missing for weeks (again). Boring Sarah sightings. And the endless plot with Barnabas obsessing over Maggie Evans regaining her memory. How long before it reverts to the past??? I want Angelique!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

I am bored to tears with Dark Shadows right now (on Decades) First stupid David went missing for weeks (again). Boring Sarah sightings. And the endless plot with Barnabas obsessing over Maggie Evans regaining her memory. How long before it reverts to the past??? I want Angelique!!!

That's the beauty of having the complete coffin set you can just hit the fast forward and zip through that stuff. I don't like the Adam storyline all that much or the Leviathans' or Jekyll and Hyde or Count Petofi so you can by pass most of it. I do like Angelique also so I'll all her sequences. 

Yeah, I didn't care for Adam or the later plotlines. My favorites were the 2 past arcs. Barnabas and Quentin. The Dream Curse with Angelique in the present day was one of the most boring. Dream sequences over and over again (with different people dreaming the same boring dreams) Joan Bennett must be on a long vacation lately. Don't think I've seen her on in a month. You'd think Elizabeth would take some interest in her nephew disappearing!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I didn't care for Adam or the later plotlines. My favorites were the 2 past arcs. Barnabas and Quentin. The Dream Curse with Angelique in the present day was one of the most boring. Dream sequences over and over again (with different people dreaming the same boring dreams) Joan Bennett must be on a long vacation lately. Don't think I've seen her on in a month. You'd think Elizabeth would take some interest in her nephew disappearing!

The 1840 storyline isn't too bad nor the parallel time one. 

• Thanks 1

I hope the show stays on long enough on Decades so I can catch up. I've forgotten a lot of the stuff. I know towards the end I wasnt watching it regularly, though I do remember watching the last show.

18 hours ago, Hibi said:

I hope the show stays on long enough on Decades so I can catch up. I've forgotten a lot of the stuff. I know towards the end I wasnt watching it regularly, though I do remember watching the last show.

Which last show? The actual <spoilers>....

.... end of the Barnabas/Angelique storyline where Barnabas finally admits to loving Angelique (and then the original curse that Angelique cast causes her to die in his arms) or the reboot with Jonathan Frid playing a new character named Bramwel? 

I never did see that show.  When it was real BIG, I was in high school, it came on shortly after I would get home from school, and there was a strict rule about the TV being on before 6:00pm, except for my kid sister, 3 years old at the time, who just HAD to get her daily fix of "The Friendly Giant"  ;) 

By the time cable TV stations started showing the old episodes, and VHS/DVDs joined the fray, my curiosity petered out.  So now, I couldn't care less.  And too, my service dropped DECADES last year sometime, replacing it with something called START.  And all they had that interested me was the early 2000's show "MEDIUM" with PATRICIA ARQUETTE .  They already ran all the episodes from all 7 seasons twice, and now I only tune in long enough to hear it's opening theme music, one of my favorite pieces of music!  :D  ;) (and it DOES sound MUCH better coming through my stereo!  ;)  ).

Sepiatone