Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

40 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I think you're kidding, what with the "cool" emoji and all.

It was tongue in cheek.... :D

• Like 1

6 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I have to admit, I like this Dave Edmunds version better than the original. Dave is a much under-rated musician and song-writer. I figure you already know that John Lennon loved this recording when it came out in 1970.

I like the way you segued the song back to "Dead Reckoning". Yeah, nothing could stop that thug from enjoying his music while he beat Rip up.  He reminded me a bit of Chester (from D.O.A.)

Those dancers are pretty lame. But then, it's not really a "dance" type song.

Half the fun of these old videos is the hair and clothing styles. Yes the dancing seems

very subdued. Maybe they didn't want to let the kids loose in a TV studio. Edmunds

seems to have gotten less exposure than Nick Lowe, who himself was never really that

popular in the U.S. The group they were in, Rockpile, made only one album but it is

quite good. Krause seemed more of the gentlemanly tough guy where Chester was just

one mean s.o.b. That's what made his death in the drugstore shootout so enjoyable, at

least to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always thought that Clifton Webb was the femme fatale in Laura.

• Haha 6

I just watched Noir Alley recorded from last month 99 RIVER ST. While watching realized I had seen this before, a loooong time ago, well before I knew the careers of John Payne and Evelyn Keyes. It was a pleasant surprise to see them both outside of their typical roles, actually showing their talents as actors. Very enjoyable noir.

So much negativity around Eddie Muller, this is only the second or third time I've caught his intros/outros and thought he was EXCELLENT. He speaks clearly, intelligently, succinctly and venture to guess he writes his own copy, which I thought was much more interesting than what Osborne/Mankiewicz was/is provided.

• Like 6

The Asphalt Jungle (1950), ranked #4 by Eddie Muller, wouldn't be seen by Canada. Instead, we get The Walking Stick (1970). I'll watch it to see how a polio victim is part of a robbery.

• Sad 1

The Walking Stick is worth seeing, though not in the same class as The Asphalt Jungle. Great performance by Emlyn Williams as a creepy robber.

• Thanks 1

On 5/31/2019 at 9:18 AM, TikiSoo said:

So much negativity around Eddie Muller

What negativity?

13 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

What negativity?

That's what I thought. I don't get TCM and cannot watch Noir Alley and have never seen or heard Eddie, but to read about him here would lead me to believe that he is the greatest man on the face of the earth.

18 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

What negativity?

3 minutes ago, laffite said:

That's what I thought. I don't get TCM and cannot watch Noir Alley and have never seen or heard Eddie, but to read about him here would lead me to believe that he is the greatest man on the face of the earth.

There was one poster who may or may not have been using multiple accounts that would regularly slam Eddie Muller at length. The uniformity of the complaints are what led some to surmise that the multiple accounts may have been the same person. I don't know if any such posts are in this thread, but there were several in other threads. Eddie even chimed in himself to rebut some of those complaints.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, laffite said:

Eddie's comments are often the best parts, or at least most informative, for some movies.  Although his commentary is excellent and well founded, I doubt anyone believes he is the "greatest man on the face of the earth."

26 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Eddie's comments are often the best parts, or at least most informative, for some movies.  Although his commentary is excellent and well founded, I doubt anyone believes he is the "greatest man on the face of the earth."

A bit of hyperbole there, Cid ... with the simple idea that folks here think a lot of him. If I need to clarify, then I will do it. Here goes. I really don't believe that he is the greatest man on the face of the earth. Honest.

25 minutes ago, TheCid said:

His Mom may.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

There was one poster who may or may not have been using multiple accounts that would regularly slam Eddie Muller at length. The uniformity of the complaints are what led some to surmise that the multiple accounts may have been the same person. I don't know if any such posts are in this thread, but there were several in other threads. Eddie even chimed in himself to rebut some of those complaints.

maybe THAT'S why he won't mention the boards  when he asks for responses on Noir Alley?  ;)

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, mr6666 said:

maybe THAT'S why he won't mention the boards  when he asks for responses on Noir Alley?  ;)

Very astute 6, that probably is the reason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Once again, a Noir Alley feature is not being aired in Canada.  It never ends, in fact, I think it's getting worse -since, I swear I've seen The Asphalt Jungle on TCM in the past. But not now.

Anyway...I watched it anyway, tonight. I own the DVD. And it's a great movie, and a great noir. However, even though I got to watch the film (because I own it -gee, how did that happen? how did I ever get to purchase the DVD here in Canada? Maybe they'd better send the "rights police" to my home to confiscate it...)  I  of course missed out on Eddie's  comments.

Isn't there some kind of link to Eddie's intros and outros for Noir Alley? If so, could someone be extremely kind and helpful and post a link to that for me, so I can still hear what he has to say about Asphalt Jungle ? (If I'm allowed to hear it, of course. God forbid that I see even one frame of the film broadcast from TCM into Canada, shock and horror would ensue...)

• Like 1

Here's the link for the TCM Noir Alley intro/post videos:

http://noiralley.tcm.com/video-archive

Unfortunately the most recent entry currently there is for Nightmare Alley which was shown on May 4, so we'll have to wait to see if Asphalt Jungle shows up.  Of course, the rights issues may block it from being included there as well.

Here's hoping Eddie's material is treated separately from the film itself.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, laffite said:

A bit of hyperbole there, Cid ... with the simple idea that folks here think a lot of him. If I need to clarify, then I will do it. Here goes. I really don't believe that he is the greatest man on the face of the earth. Honest.

As I implied, I do not believe anyone said he was "the greatest man on the face of the earth."

It's just that most of us appreciate what he says and lend great credence to his commentaries.

Okay so back to the office in DEAD RECKONING (1947).  I thought it was a bit confusing, but I figured it out.  First it looks like Bogart is going into a house to get to the office, but when he is in the office he passes the door he entered through the first time he was brought into the office.  He enters through a side door and passes the door he was first brought through.  So the office, nightclub, and what looks like a house are all part of the same structure.  The house looking part is just the back of the nightclub.

THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (1950) - I love so much about this movie.  I love the layers and the details, but there are a few things that just don't make sense - chiefly why do people like Dix so much.   Why Gus sticks his neck out for him so much?  Why does Riedenschneider take such a liking to Dix?  My point is that what we learn about Dix is that he bullies and robs people just to get enough money to gamble.  Nothing seem particularly intelligent about him.  What is there redeeming about him?  I guess we are supposed to assume he also does a lot of good deeds for those around him, like Doll though I'm not sure he is doing her a lot of favors.

32 minutes ago, Looney said:

The house looking part is just the back of the nightclub.

That's sort of what I remembered about it.

33 minutes ago, Looney said:

chiefly why do people like Dix so much.   Why Gus sticks his neck out for him so much?  Why does Riedenschneider take such a liking to Dix?  My point is that what we learn about Dix is that he bullies and robs people just to get enough money to gamble.  Nothing seem particularly intelligent about him.  What is there redeeming about him?

I think because he comes off as a square shooter among thieves, he's not going to "bone" his friends, basically there is some "honor among thieves."

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

. . .he's not going to "bone" his friends

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR3U5kPZWWzSW_8zApxYKF

"Well I certainly hope that doesn't apply to me."

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, TheCid said:

I thought that was Lou Gehrig?!!!

Oh wait. That's right! He was the "LUCKIEST luckiest luckiest man man man on the face face face of the earth earth earth", wasn't he.

(...sorry, never mind)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I thought that was Lou Gehrig?!!!

Oh wait. That's right! He was the "LUCKIEST luckiest luckiest man man man on the face face face of the earth earth earth", wasn't he.

(...sorry, never mind)

Good echoes, Dargo.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Looney said:

Okay so back to the office in DEAD RECKONING (1947).  I thought it was a bit confusing, but I figured it out.  First it looks like Bogart is going into a house to get to the office, but when he is in the office he passes the door he entered through the first time he was brought into the office.  He enters through a side door and passes the door he was first brought through.  So the office, nightclub, and what looks like a house are all part of the same structure.  The house looking part is just the back of the nightclub.

I'm going to have to pull out my DVD, but I don't think this is correct. Bogart asks her where is his house when they are driving with the body in the trunk and she replied at the beach.  Not back of his club.  I think what is confusing is that after she replies, they do not show them going to the house.  I do think there is a quick shot of a house on the beach though.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Good echoes, Dargo.

Thanks, Tom!

(...just like you're in Yankee Stadium, wasn't it!) ;)