Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

17 minutes ago, Dargo said:

I thought that was Lou Gehrig?!!!

Oh wait. That's right! He was the "LUCKIEST luckiest luckiest man man man on the face face face of the earth earth earth", wasn't he.

(...sorry, never mind)

My favorite words from Eddie, "Filling in for Ben." I've been slacking a little when it comes to watching Eddie using the Noir Alley site. Eddie is the best host, period!

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

I think because he comes off as a square shooter among thieves, he's not going to "bone" his friends, basically there is some "honor among thieves."

As "the code" was supposedly still in effect when that flick was made, I often(when seeing it) wondered just how they slipped THAT( no pun intended  ;) ) past the censors.  :o  :P

24 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Thanks, Tom!

(...just like you're in Yankee Stadium, wasn't it!) ;)

pride-of-the-yankees.jpg

"Yup, yup, yup, yup."

• Like 1

I think Eddie 'filled in for Ben' to do all of the Paul Newman Star of the Month film intros in May.  I didn't see them all but caught a few and I thought Eddie did a really nice job.  I hope this trend of letting Eddie do other topics will continue.  In my opinion TCM has a really nice group of hosts now so it's great to let them share the duties.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, TheCid said:

I'm going to have to pull out my DVD, but I don't think this is correct. Bogart asks her where is his house when they are driving with the body in the trunk and she replied at the beach.  Not back of his club.  I think what is confusing is that after she replies, they do not show them going to the house.  I do think there is a quick shot of a house on the beach though.

Different situations.  I am talking about when he specifically goes for the safe.  The "beach house" is a different location and yes there is a shot of the "beach house.", but not when he is going for the safe.  The confusion is that the "beach house" is mentioned in an unrelated way around the same time he appears to be at a house that is in fact just a back entrance of the club.

• Confused 1

On 6/1/2019 at 11:24 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Once again, a Noir Alley feature is not being aired in Canada.  It never ends, in fact, I think it's getting worse -since, I swear I've seen The Asphalt Jungle on TCM in the past. But not now.

Anyway...I watched it anyway, tonight. I own the DVD. And it's a great movie, and a great noir. However, even though I got to watch the film (because I own it -gee, how did that happen? how did I ever get to purchase the DVD here in Canada? Maybe they'd better send the "rights police" to my home to confiscate it...)  I  of course missed out on Eddie's  comments.

Isn't there some kind of link to Eddie's intros and outros for Noir Alley? If so, could someone be extremely kind and helpful and post a link to that for me, so I can still hear what he has to say about Asphalt Jungle ? (If I'm allowed to hear it, of course. God forbid that I see even one frame of the film broadcast from TCM into Canada, shock and horror would ensue...)

Yes, I've definitely viewed Asphalt Jungle on TCM before. I saw Sam Jaffe, and thought 'hey that's Sam Jaffe, what's he(of Gunga Din, Lost Horizon, and Ben Hur) doin' in a crime movie? Huh!'
What's changed now? Do the CBC or Bell Media plan to air it in the near future?🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

As a confirmed "old movie" fan, I'm embarrassed to admit that I had never seen THE ASPHALT JUNGLE. I think in the past I've confused it with BLACKBOARD JUNGLE which I've seen several times. It was great. My guess is it's one of the first movies where literally all of the stars were bad guys. It essentially paved the way for THE GODFATHER, THE SOPRANOS and GOOD FELLOWS. 

17 hours ago, dc1 said:

Yes, I've definitely viewed Asphalt Jungle on TCM before. I saw Sam Jaffe, and thought 'hey that's Sam Jaffe, what's he(of Gunga Din, Lost Horizon, and Ben Hur) doin' in a crime movie? Huh!'
What's changed now? Do the CBC or Bell Media plan to air it in the near future?🤣🤣

Don't forget his role as Dr. Zorba in the '60s television medical series Ben Casey here too, dc1.

(...for years that's how I would first think of Sam Jaffe, as I remember thinking to myself during my first viewing of Gunga Din as a teenager and just after the run of the Ben Casey series was over, "Hey, that's a young Dr. Zorba playin' Gunga Din there!")

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dargo said:

Don't forget his role as Dr. Zorba in the '60s television medical series Ben Casey here too, dc1.

(...for years that's how I would first think of Sam Jaffe, as I remember thinking to myself during my first viewing of Gunga Din as a teenager and just after the run of the Ben Casey series was over, "Hey, that's a young Dr. Zorba playin' Gunga Din there!")

If I recall correctly, Jaffe was married to one of the co-stars, who played a much younger nurse or doctor.  Supposedly she had been a Miss South Carolina before going to Hollywood.

4 hours ago, TheCid said:

If I recall correctly, Jaffe was married to one of the co-stars, who played a much younger nurse or doctor.  Supposedly she had been a Miss South Carolina before going to Hollywood.

Yes, Betty Ackerman who played another doctor. I couldn't believe it when my mother told me they were married!

I wonder why shows like Ben Casey and Dr. Kildare never turn up on rerun stations? A lot of older stars guested on those shows. I don't remember ever seeing those shows in syndication (maybe they were many years ago).

• Haha 1

two-photos-vibr50-b10-c10-resize.jpg?w=6

He was 65, she 32, when they married in 1956.

Word was it was a very happy union for 28 years until Jaffe's death in 1984.

And with perhaps one reason for this being that it was said Bettye never made Sam feel obligated to supply her with a bunch of nickels for a jukebox in order for him to enjoy watching her shake her booty around the house.

(...sorry, couldn't resist)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I forgot to mention how I think Marc Lawrence is great in this one.  So used to seeing him play the tough guy.

I have to admit that the performance I like the least is Jaffe, but that is just because the voice and the accent almost sound cartoon-ish to me.  I am so conflicted about it because I like the character dynamic of having be German, but I also find that the delivery of his dialogue almost seems comical at times.  Doesn't ruin the movie or anything.  Just a personal hiccup. LOL 

47 minutes ago, Looney said:

I forgot to mention how I think Marc Lawrence is great in this one.  So used to seeing him play the tough guy.

I have to admit that the performance I like the least is Jaffe, but that is just because the voice and the accent almost sound cartoon-ish to me.  I am so conflicted about it because I like the character dynamic of having be German, but I also find that the delivery of his dialogue almost seems comical at times.  Doesn't ruin the movie or anything.  Just a personal hiccup. LOL 

Interesting, Looney. While I too think Marc Lawrence's performance as the worrisome and weak-kneed bookie is terrific and unlike his usual roles in other films, I've never felt Jaffe's accent "comical" or distracting at all in this film.

I think in a way it played well into something Jean Hagen's Doll character once says to Sterling Hayden's Dix, "He's a foreigner, and they think differently than we do".

(...or something very similar to that, anyway)

• Like 1

I've seen Asphalt Jungle probably a dozen times. Always a depressing experience. You know as soon as the alarms start going off on the street that the project is doomed and wont turn out well, yet you still root for them. Felt most sorry for "Uncle Lon" and of course, Sam Jaffe. Had he not loitered......

23 hours ago, Hibi said:

I've seen Asphalt Jungle probably a dozen times. Always a depressing experience. You know as soon as the alarms start going off on the street that the project is doomed and wont turn out well, yet you still root for them. Felt most sorry for "Uncle Lon" and of course, Sam Jaffe. Had he not loitered......

Yeah, well, I think I've always felt most sorry for John McIntire in this thing, Hibi.

Considering, that is, that he had to give that little "Crime Doesn't Pay/If It Weren't For Us Police, Society Would All Fall Apart" speech to all those reporters near the end of this thing.

I've always thought that scene not only a little cliched, but perhaps not even needed.

(...although I'm sure Mr. McIntire was glad it didn't end up on the cutting room floor)

• Like 1

Considering I didn't like the sanctimonious character at all, I had No sympathy! I'm sure the actor liked his scenes though. A lot of scenery chewing.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

As a confirmed "old movie" fan, I'm embarrassed to admit that I had never seen THE ASPHALT JUNGLE. I think in the past I've confused it with BLACKBOARD JUNGLE which I've seen several times. It was great. My guess is it's one of the first movies where literally all of the stars were bad guys. It essentially paved the way for THE GODFATHER, THE SOPRANOS and GOOD FELLOWS. 

i don't know about that, Hoganman. Not to be disagreeable, but all three of the movies you name are about Mafia gangsters. There was no Mafia involvement in Asphalt Jungle.

I see the two films (and also The Sopranos) as being stories about the Mafia in American, the lifestyle, the values, the power plays. Asphalt Jungle had a much smaller story (albeit a really good one) - just about some guys, not even really connected  to each other (unlike the characters in The Godfather, Goodfellas, and The Sopranos) until "Cobby" brings them together, under the leadership of "Doc" (Sam Jaffe). In fact, I don't think any of them were even Italian (well, Italian-American.)

It's a classic "heist" movie- much different from Scorsese's Mafia stories and the great TV series from David Chase.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

i don't know about that, Hoganman. Not to be disagreeable, but all three of the movies you name are about Mafia gangsters. There was no Mafia involvement in Asphalt Jungle.

I see the two films (and also The Sopranos) as being stories about the Mafia in American, the lifestyle, the values, the power plays. Asphalt Jungle had a much smaller story (albeit a really good one) - just about some guys, not even really connected  to each other (unlike the characters in The Godfather, Goodfellas, and The Sopranos) until "Cobby" brings them together, under the leadership of "Doc" (Sam Jaffe). In fact, I don't think any of them were even Italian (well, Italian-American.)

It's a classic "heist" movie- much different from Scorsese's Mafia stories and the great TV series from David Chase.

Agree. It's like a pickup baseball team.

• Like 2

MM-as-Angela-Phinlay-in-The-Asphalt-Jung

Uncle Lon, I strained my

whosiwatsis. Can you

rub some medicinal cream

on it?

Yeah, McIntire's character is such a pompous smug jackass that you can't help to root

against him. I also felt a bit sorry for Cobby. I know he's kind of a cowardly sleazbag, but

I still felt sympathy for him. Hope he got a short prison term. Notice how many times

the city boys make fun of Hayden's rural background? They really like to stick it to him

with the country jokes. The character played by Anthony Caruso is so obviously

Italian I'm surprised he didn't wear a Kiss Me I'm Italian tee shirt.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/1/2019 at 11:41 PM, cmovieviewer said:

Here's the link for the TCM Noir Alley intro/post videos:

http://noiralley.tcm.com/video-archive

Unfortunately the most recent entry currently there is for Nightmare Alley which was shown on May 4, so we'll have to wait to see if Asphalt Jungle shows up.  Of course, the rights issues may block it from being included there as well.

Here's hoping Eddie's material is treated separately from the film itself.

Pardon me for quoting myself but it looks like the Noir Alley archive page above has added intros for White Heat (shown on May 11), Key Largo (May 18), and Dead Reckoning (May 25).  Next up to be posted would be Asphalt Jungle shown on June 1 so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the Canadian viewers...

• Thanks 1

Noirsville Nightmare Alley review posted on Film Noir/Gangster Pages, here.

*A heads up for speedracer5 & TomJH it does have Gresham's novel original demise of Stanton's spook racket in the review.

Leaving a reminder here that because of the Doris Day memorial tribute this coming Sunday June 9, the late Saturday June 8 showing of Noir Alley with the film Nora Prentiss (1947) is the only showing we get this week.  (WatchTCM might be the remaining hope if you miss it.)

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, cmovieviewer said:

Leaving a reminder here that because of the Doris Day memorial tribute this coming Sunday June 9, the late Saturday June 8 showing of Noir Alley with the film Nora Prentiss (1947) is the only showing we get this week.  (WatchTCM might be the remaining hope if you miss it.)

One thing I'll be watching for is the makeup job Perc Westmore does on Kent Smith.  Compare how he looks in the opening scenes with the way he looks when he's driving away from the police in New York.  The guy looks like a complete mess with all he's had to put up with from his fling with Ann Sheridan.  At least, that's one thing I noticed the last time I saw this movie.