Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

REALLY, Lorna?!

So, you think THAT one is better than, "Ya SEE?! Ya SEE?! Your stupid minds! STUPID, STUPID!" ???

(...of course then again, this one wasn't in a Film Noir, huh...and so maybe you're right here)

HONEST TO GOD: I was just watching PLAN 9 this past weekend (for maybe the 25th or so time)

(again, undercutting the validity of any opinion I have on the quality of a film or anyone else's opinions thereon.)

HONEST TO GOD: I was just watching PLAN 9 this past weekend (for maybe the 25th or so time)

(again, undercutting the validity of any opinion I have on the quality of a film or anyone else's opinions thereon.)

Yeah, Lorna?! That IS quite a coincidence then, isn't it.

And which now may beg the question: Could Wood's Jail Bait be considered a true Noir?

(...and if so: Why wasn't Lyle Talbot a bigger star?) 

UGH.

Well, Lorna seemed to like it anyway, Hibi.

(...of course then again, he ALSO just admitted he's watched Plan 9 twenty-five times, and so maybe this isn't that good of a counter argument to make on my behalf, huh!) ;)

LOL

Just to confirm, I went back and watched the wrap-up for 711 Ocean Drive, and in the tease for the next episode of Noir Alley, Eddie says "I am showing my favorite movie of all time."

So I am expecting a no-qualification explanation.

(By the way, Eddie also says that attendance on Sunday is mandatory and vacations and "plate-passing duty at the local parish" are not valid excuses!)

• Like 2

Just to confirm, I went back and watched the wrap-up for 711 Ocean Drive, and in the tease for the next showing of Noir Alley, Eddie says "I am showing my favorite movie of all time."

So I am expecting a no-qualification explanation.

(By the way, Eddie also says that attendance on Sunday is mandatory and vacations and "plate-passing duty at the local parish" are not valid excuses!)

DAYUM!

(If he shows up in this thread he's going to kill me!)

Should I take it on the lam?

• Like 2

Oh, and I've never seen JAIL-BAIT, but THE SINISTER URGE could classify as a noir (in my opinion.)

A dim noir, but a noir nonetheless.

And I've never seen The Sinister Urge. However, after just now checking out the synopsis of that film on Wiki, yeah, I can see it possibly classified as Noir.

And after reading that synopsis, I'd like to see it.

(...sounds intriguing)

And I've never seen The Sinister Urge. However, after just now checking out the synopsis of that film on Wiki, yeah, I can see it possibly classified as Noir.

And after reading that synopsis, I'd like to see it.

(...sounds intriguing)

I am 99 percent sure you can find a movie on YouTube. It was featured on an episode of mystery science theater 3000, and I have seen it that way a score of times....I am also 99% sure you can catch the MST 3K version on YouTube, I still watch it from time to time. It's one of the episodes they did where I find the movie as intriguing as their commentary.It's not a great film, or a good film,but honestly it's probably the most legitimately decent filmthat Ed Wood ever did.

• Like 1

Is that The Damned Don't Cry? Sounds like I need to watch that one!

:)

Yes and yes!

I highly recommend the screen directors playhouse hour long radio version, which also starred JOAN...i can't post right now because I'm using my phone but I will later...

If I'm still alive that is.

So,

i've been meaning to bring this up ever since someone posted Eddie's tweet and the claim that IN A LONELY PLACE is his favorite film noir...

Really?

AND I SAY THIS NOT IN A JUDGING or CONDESCENDING WAY, MIND YOU!!!!! I assure you, it is more bemusement than anything!!

AND

This is coming from someone who adores FLAMINGO ROAD to pieces and has seen JAWS 3-D 100 or more times, and someone who understands that GENUINE LOVE for a film can be an inscrutable thing depending on all sorts of circumstances- even those under which one sees said film...but....

Really?

And let's get something else straight- I love Bogie (and PLACE does contain one of his absolute finest performances); I love Gloria Grahame- and she's great in this; and I love Nicolas Ray- I'd rate THEY LIVE BY NIGHT, JOHNNY GUITAR and REBEL among the finest movies of the 20th century..

.but IN A LONELY PLACE?

Gosh, notsomuch.

And I've brought this up before, and I've seen the damn thing 15 or 20 times and EVERY TIME, I'd rate it (God I'm sorry, Eddie) no higher than two and a half out of four stars. It's just got too many faults for me to really love it...the lazy voiceoevers, the cheap and uninspired sets; the set-up and dialogue of the scenes at the beginning featuring the murder victim; and (AS I RECALL IT AND I MAY RECALL WRONG) there's a lack of fluid camerawork- there's no visual flare to the presentation of the shots the way there was in THEY DRIVE, GUITAR and REBEL....I don't think the camera moves in the film once; AND I KNOW RAY CAN DO BETTER.

I prolly should've checked my copy of Eddie's book DARK CITY before I sat down to read this, but as I recall it (**SEE EARLIER STATEMENT ON THE RELIABILITY OF LHF's MEMORY),Eddie ends the book with a story about Bogie's first wife Mayo Methot (sp?) and her tragic demise near the film's release time, and he links it to the movie in a lovely way, SO IT IS IS ENTIRELY POSSIBLE HE REALIZES THE FAULTS OF THE FILM AND EMBRACES IT ANYWAY, which I get,

but to prefer IN A LONELY PLACE to ACE IN THE HOLE or SUNSET BLVD or DOUBLE INDEMNITY or SHADOW OF A DOUBT...?

Really?

And if Eddie- can I call you Eddie?- wants to come and brutally school me like Bobo in THE GRIFTERS for my popping off and dissing HIS FAVORITE FILM Noir, well, I guess I'll put the oranges in the sock for you and let you go to town, Eddie.

But...

Really?

And I admit I read the SAYERS novel when I was a teenager and then saw the movie, and I was a bit jarred by how different they were....the Sayers novel is grim as Hell and was a muddle to get through, it's one of the darkest books I've ever read by a woman.

I want to read the book, but could only find In A Lonely Place by Dorothy Hughes that Wiki says is the basis of the movie. Is this right or is there a Dorothy Sayers novel of a different title that the movie is actually based on? I would like to read either one. THANKS

Yeah, Lorna?! That IS quite a coincidence then, isn't it.

And which now may beg the question: Could Wood's Jail Bait be considered a true Noir?

(...and if so: Why wasn't Lyle Talbot a bigger star?) 

I've seen it on some lists

I want to read the book, but could only find In A Lonely Place by Dorothy Hughes that Wiki says is the basis of the movie. Is this right or is there a Dorothy Sayers novel of a different title that the movie is actually based on? I would like to read either one. THANKS

I'm such a dope!

I added that to the end of my big long rant and got the authors's names mixed up, yes it is Dorothy Hughes, Sayers did not write IALP.

my total bad and thanks for catching it!

... and I DO recall reading on a website this summer that it was coming out in a new edition. They recommended it as one of their beach reads for the summer, so I would imagine you can find on Amazon.

• Like 1

I'm such a dope!

I added that to the end of my big long rant and got the authors's names mixed up, yes it is Dorothy Hughes, Sayers did not write IALP.

my total bad and thanks for catching it!

... and I DO recall reading on a website this summer that it was coming out in a new edition. They recommended it as one of their beach reads for the summer, so I would imagine you can find on Amazon.

Don't worry about it, Lorna. Your confusion is perfectly understandable here.

You see, Dorothy SAYERS wrote a book titled "In a LOUSY Place".

It was her memoirs about those years she spent living in Cleveland Ohio.

(...hmmmm...or was it Fresno...no, wait, that was Saroyan...yeah, it was definitely Cleveland...I'm pretty sure now)

• Like 2

Just a random story in search of a thread:

Mob Relatives Drawing Pensions From Chicago IATSE Projectionists’ “Endangered” Plan

IATSE Projectionists Local 110 in Chicago was once widely believed to be one of the most mobbed up unions in America — a crooked outfit packed with members of the Chicago mob and their relatives, some of whom who are now drawing generous pensions from the local’s endangered pension plan.

https://deadline.com/2015/09/mob-relatives-drawing-pensions-chicago-iatse-projectionists-endangered-plan-1201504406/

unnamed-7.jpg?w=446&h=299&crop=1

Don't worry about it, Lorna. Your confusion is perfectly understandable here.

You see, Dorothy SAYERS wrote a book titled "In a LOUSY Place".

It was her memoirs about those years she spent living in Cleveland Ohio.

(...hmmmm...or was it Fresno...no, wait, that was Saroyan...yeah, it was definitely Cleveland...I'm pretty sure now)

Again, I lol'd...

I'll never forget a line from Ray Stevens song, although I've forgotten what the song was, but the line goes: "I remember how you used to smoke your cigarette through the filter. You always said the smell reminded you of Cleveland..."

(all apologies to Hibi- our representative from Ohio!!!!!)

• Like 1

IN A LONELY PLACE, the 1947 novel by DOROTHY B HUGHES (ahem) was recently reprinted in a snazzy new edition with a foreward by someone whose name I did not recognize. It came out August 15.

the amazon link is below if anyone's game...

(it can also be gotten on kindle for those of you with no souls)

https://www.amazon.com/Lonely-Place-York-Review-Books/dp/1681371472/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1505496609&sr=1-1&keywords=in+a+lonely+place+dorothy+b+hughes

• Like 1

Again, I lol'd...

I'll never forget a line from Ray Stevens song, although I've forgotten what the song was, but the line goes: "I remember how you used to smoke your cigarette through the filter. You always said the smell reminded you of Cleveland..."

(all apologies to Hibi- our representative from Ohio!!!!!)

LOL. That's ok. I dont live near Cleveland (which is much nicer now than years back)......