Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

LOL! She may not have looked so odd if she had stopped shoving stuff under her upper lip to get that pouty lip look all the time.......

15 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Not exactly surprising since shallow observations about the attractiveness (or not) of a particular actor or actress are easy to make and we all seem to have an opinion on the subject.

One of the things I like about Kristine Miller's classy good looks, by the way, is that she doesn't look like Gloria Grahame, a slightly odd looking woman I would never pay much attention to unless she splashed a pot of hot coffee in my face. Grahame was a fine actress, by the way, and I would hasten to tell her that before she hurled a hot pot of boiling joe at me.

The-Big-Heat-1953-3.jpg

"So you think I'm 'slightly odd looking?'"

"Well, yeh. But you are a good actress."

I think reason Graham succeeded more than Miller and others was that something extra.  She may not have been the most beautiful, but she brought something to the roles than mere looks would not.

Incidentally, I didn't watch latest Noir Alley (don't like movies with kids), but remember Miller from Too Late for Tears.  Decent acting, but not really all that memorable.  Had to really reach back to remember her in it.  

Watched an episode of Perry Mason last night.  There were five blondes in it.  I think Della may have been the only non-blonde in it.  There were even a few in the courtroom spectator scenes.  Perhaps that is a factor with some actresses in the 40's -60's - too many blondes to actually stand out.

25 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Watched an episode of Perry Mason last night.  There were five blondes in it.  I think Della may have been the only non-blonde in it.  There were even a few in the courtroom spectator scenes.  Perhaps that is a factor with some actresses in the 40's -60's - too many blondes to actually stand out.

Now Della was an attractive woman!

6z87j-1492530661-8318-list_items-retirem

"Oh, Perry, Perry. Why can't you go for me? I'm attractive."

"It's kind of complicated. Della. Let me put it this way - Hamilton Burger has that something extra I like."

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, TomJH said:

"It's kind of complicated. Della. Let me put it this way - Hamilton Burger has that something extra I like."

Ham, hell.  What about Paul Drake?

4 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Ham, hell.  What about Paul Drake?

220px-Hitchhiker_Talman.jpg

"Paul Drake? You think he's better looking than me? Why I oughta plug ya, ya dirty . . ."

b25b1518215278d8b7732697b3cf2e79_400x400

"HEHEHEHE! Look at the freak with the gun, will you! Someone strap him in a wheelchair and I'll give him a ride he won't forget. And, by the way, unlike me, he's not attractive!"

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TomJH said:

Neither Paul or Ham had that little something extra. They both needed a LOT!!!

Fetv just showed the last episode of PM last week and has started over at the first

season. There sure are a lot of sexy blondes in these episodes. No wonder Drake

sometimes looks so out of it. Paul Drake made Burger look like a sick horse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

What is Fetv?

It's a channel that shows old TV shows (with lots of commercials or course). As far as I know

it's the only channel like that on DirecTV except for TVLand. Perry Mason. Mary Tyler Moore

Show, Roy Rogers, Sgt. Preston, etc. They just started showing Route 66 at the beginning

of June. Fe stand for Family Entertainment.

Oh, OK. I don't have it, so wondered. They still show Perry on one of my stations at night, forget which station. Might be Metv. But it's so edited for more commercials, it's hard to follow the plots. I think I've probably seen them all by now.

8 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

It's a channel that shows old TV shows (with lots of commercials or course). As far as I know

it's the only channel like that on DirecTV except for TVLand. Perry Mason. Mary Tyler Moore

Show, Roy Rogers, Sgt. Preston, etc. They just started showing Route 66 at the beginning

of June. Fe stand for Family Entertainment.

I've got Route 66 on DVD and frequently watch episodes.  Until I got the DVD I had not remembered how serious the episodes were, for the most part.  Nor that Tod and Buzz got into fights with someone else almost every episode.  Surprisingly a lot of fairly big name stars (Joan Crawford) appeared on it.  Also, only two episodes actually took place on Route 66.  The first few episodes were in southern MS and Louisiana.  All shows were filmed on location around the country and two episodes in Canada. Florida was popular the last two years.

I think Perry is on MeTV every day also.  At one time, they showed it twice per day.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Oh, OK. I don't have it, so wondered. They still show Perry on one of my stations at night, forget which station. Might be Metv. But it's so edited for more commercials, it's hard to follow the plots. I think I've probably seen them all by now.

I think Fetv showed Perry Mason four times a day, two episodes in the afternoon and two in the

evening. Now they're down to just two a day. And of course loads of commercials, as if the plots

weren't already confusing enough. They showed the one color episode that was a test to see

how it looked if there was going to be a tenth season in color. Looked pretty good and Paul's

hair was as white as snow. Fetv, and then there's Maude.

Wow. I didnt know there was a color episode. I never saw that one. So it was on 9 seasons then? I know, the plots are confusing enough w/out editing out parts.

8 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I think Fetv showed Perry Mason four times a day, two episodes in the afternoon and two in the

evening. Now they're down to just two a day. And of course loads of commercials, as if the plots

weren't already confusing enough. They showed the one color episode that was a test to see

how it looked if there was going to be a tenth season in color. Looked pretty good and Paul's

hair was as white as snow. Fetv, and then there's Maude.

I don't like the color episode.  Somehow it just doesn't fit.  I think the people involved didn't like it either.

Just now, Hibi said:

Wow. I didnt know there was a color episode. I never saw that one. So it was on 9 seasons then? I know, the plots are confusing enough w/out editing out parts.

That's why you really need to watch the quick post trial summaries, usually in Perry's office.  They wrap it all up and put a bow on it.

One thing about the shows, you usually know within the first 10 minutes or so who is going to be murdered.  It's almost always the real nasty, mean person.

17 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I've got Route 66 on DVD and frequently watch episodes.  Until I got the DVD I had not remembered how serious the episodes were, for the most part.  Nor that Tod and Buzz got into fights with someone else almost every episode.  Surprisingly a lot of fairly big name stars (Joan Crawford) appeared on it.  Also, only two episodes actually took place on Route 66.  The first few episodes were in southern MS and Louisiana.  All shows were filmed on location around the country and two episodes in Canada. Florida was popular the last two years.

I think Perry is on MeTV every day also.  At one time, they showed it twice per day.

Yeah, Perry used to be on in the mornings too, years ago. MEtv used to show Route 66 late at night (think it was Sundays?) but I guess they dropped it. Never new CRAWFORD was on that show! How long was it on? I remember the show vaguely. My parents must have watched it.

1 minute ago, TheCid said:

That's why you really need to watch the quick post trial summaries, usually in Perry's office.  They wrap it all up and put a bow on it.

One thing about the shows, you usually know within the first 10 minutes or so who is going to be murdered.  It's almost always the real nasty, mean person.

Yeah, like on Murder, She Wrote! LOL. Even with the wrap ups it was hard sometimes to understand all the ins and outs of what went on before...

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Good points I suppose, James.

But in my case, Gloria Grahame never did a thing for me. Good actress, but I always thought her a bit "strange looking".

(...and her lisp never did a thing for me either) ;)

She looks mighty good here.....

D2ACPAQ.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

She looks mighty good here.....

D2ACPAQ.jpg

YES! What film is that from?

4 minutes ago, Hibi said:

YES! What film is that from?

Film Noir The Naked Alibi (1954) with Sterling Hayden and Gene Barry.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, Perry used to be on in the mornings too, years ago. MEtv used to show Route 66 late at night (think it was Sundays?) but I guess they dropped it. Never new CRAWFORD was on that show! How long was it on? I remember the show vaguely. My parents must have watched it.

Four years.  One of the few that actually had an ending.  Spoiler:  In final double episode, Tod gets married to Barbara Eden.  Nina Foch and Chill Wills were in it.  There was one episode scheduled for Nov. 29, 1963 which was not shown until the series went into syndication.  It was titled I'm Here to Kill a King and had a Tod look-a-like as an assassin hired to kill a country's leader visiting the U.S.  JFK was assassinated on Nov. 22.

2 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Now that should be one for Noir Alley.

3 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Here is their site. There were recently added to my area on Xfinity/Comcast.

https://fetv.tv/

I was updating my OTA TV today and noticed that some local stations now have two stations on same channel, as in 4-1 and 4-1 again and then 4-2 and 4-2 again. Each with different networks.   Used to be 4-1,4-2, 4-3, 4-6, etc.  This is worse than HD radio on my car.

I periodically run the auto search feature for channels as you never know when new ones have been added or old ones have boosted their power.

13 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I haven't seen that one. Any good?