Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

12 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Four years.  One of the few that actually had an ending.  Spoiler:  In final double episode, Tod gets married to Barbara Eden.  Nina Foch and Chill Wills were in it.  There was one episode scheduled for Nov. 29, 1963 which was not shown until the series went into syndication.  It was titled I'm Here to Kill a King and had a Tod look-a-like as an assassin hired to kill a country's leader visiting the U.S.  JFK was assassinated on Nov. 22.

WOW. LOL. I mostly remember the theme song.

10 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I was updating my OTA TV today and noticed that some local stations now have two stations on same channel, as in 4-1 and 4-1 again and then 4-2 and 4-2 again. Each with different networks.   Used to be 4-1,4-2, 4-3, 4-6, etc.  This is worse than HD radio on my car.

I periodically run the auto search feature for channels as you never know when new ones have been added or old ones have boosted their power.

Yeah, I have several that are linked to local stations (rerun networks). Yes, I sometimes discover new stations that I was unaware of. (I never read the cable inserts that come with my bill) or old stations that have disappeared or have gone to an upper tier.

5 minutes ago, Hibi said:

I haven't seen that one. Any good?

It's descent about a 7/10. Here is a production still with Jerry Hooper the director and Gloria

withDirectorJerryHopperNakedAlibi1954.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cigarjoe said:

It's descent about a 7/10. Here is a production still with Jerry Hooper the director and Gloria

withDirectorJerryHopperNakedAlibi1954.jpg

WOW! LOL.

6 hours ago, TheCid said:

I've got Route 66 on DVD and frequently watch episodes.  Until I got the DVD I had not remembered how serious the episodes were, for the most part.  Nor that Tod and Buzz got into fights with someone else almost every episode.  Surprisingly a lot of fairly big name stars (Joan Crawford) appeared on it.  Also, only two episodes actually took place on Route 66.  The first few episodes were in southern MS and Louisiana.  All shows were filmed on location around the country and two episodes in Canada. Florida was popular the last two years.

I think Perry is on MeTV every day also.  At one time, they showed it twice per day.

I missed the original run of Route 66. It was either on too late or I was playing outside,

so it was refreshing to watch a show whose episodes I haven't seen half a dozen times.

I think the writers and producers were trying to go a bit to the idea of socially significant

themes in many of the episodes. I think back in the early sixities the plots seemed

original and fresh but now they look kind of cliched and obvious. Buz especially seems to

beat the crap out of somebody in most episodes while Tod is a bit more restrained. And

Buz was more of a rebel type while Tod is more of a white bread college boy guy. It's

funny how two guys traveling around in a car happen to meet so many nuts

and  weirdos and get into so many dangerous situations every week. Must be a TV

show. Despite all that I still find it entertaining, probably as much for how parts of the

country looked and the mores of the early 1960s than for the plots themselves. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hibi said:

Wow. I didnt know there was a color episode. I never saw that one. So it was on 9 seasons then? I know, the plots are confusing enough w/out editing out parts.

Yes it was one from season 9. I've read that it was done as a test to see how the show

would look in color in anticipation of a tenth season. I thought it looked pretty good.

Tonight's first season episode has one sexy blonde and one sexy brunette, though the

sexy blonde is several inches taller than the sexy brunette. (Hold it, another sexy blonde

babe just showed up). As a bonus Aunt Bee (Frances Bavier) is also in it. She plays an

aunt of the sexy brunette and an old friend of Perry's. One of those old TV friends that

we've never seen before and will never see again.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

I don't like the color episode.  Somehow it just doesn't fit.  I think the people involved didn't like it either.

I guess being the only color episode in the series it seems out of place, but I did like the look of

the color, though the episode itself is nothing special. It was a bit like a Dragnet plot, only missing

Friday's closing straighten up and fly right lecture.

Speaking of Route 66 and the JFK assassination, one of today's episodes took place in

Dallas and Tod and Buz work at the Trade Mart and Love Field is shown at the start.

Buz is kidnapped by a religious nut who intends to kill him. A little spooky.

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

still find it entertaining, probably as much for how parts of the country looked and the mores

of the early 1960s than for the plots themselves. 

Sort of something similar to the Early 50s seasons of Dragnet. You get a lot of the L/A. you see in 50s film Noir.

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Sort of something similar to the Early 50s seasons of Dragnet. You get a lot of the L/A. you see in 50s film Noir.

I've never seen the 1950s version of Dragnet, just the unintentionally hilarious late 1960s version,

but I'm sure you're right that you get to see a lot of L.A. as it was at that time. Watching Route

66 makes you realize how much the country has changed in the past 60 years.

gloria-grahame-photoshoot.jpg?imwidth=

I always thought Gloria was hot, odd or not.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Since the 4th of July is approaching:

Image result for gloria grahame

LOL

Oh c'mon now, James. Sure Gloria looks kind'a sexy in this pose, but HEY you could take almost ANY female, paint her lips up like that, have her project her lips out like that in a suggestive manner (and I'm sure you know WHAT it's "suggesting", don't ya?! ;) ) and they'd look kind'a "sexy".

Now. Do you know what is definitely NOT "sexy"? Well, it's when a MALE projects their lips out kind'a like that whenever they talk. YOU know, kind'a like what a certain overweight dude who's now holding a high elected office does all the time while HE'S speaking.

Nope, definitely NOT "sexy" at ALL!

Aah, but then again I suppose my feelings about THAT could ALSO be traced to what MissW mentioned earlier. That thing about me being a "heterosexual male".

(...yep!...well maybe THAT and being a Democrat!) ;)

LOL...no, make that ROTFALMAO!!!

7 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I'd do her.... :D

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I'll say she's odd. She's got a broach pinned to her skin.

• Haha 3

That's spelled "brooch"....but I noticed the same thing Tom.

35 minutes ago, TikiSoo said:

That's spelled "brooch"....but I noticed the same thing Tom.

Thanks for the correction, Tiki. I was wondering if anyone would broach the topic of my spelling.

• Haha 3

13 hours ago, Hibi said:

WOW. LOL. I mostly remember the theme song.

Not the Bobby Troup version, but the one by Nelson Riddle.  Producers did not want to pay Troup for rights to his song.  Troup's is the much recorded version about getting my kicks on Route 66.  Riddle's is just music.

12 hours ago, Vautrin said:

I missed the original run of Route 66. It was either on too late or I was playing outside,

so it was refreshing to watch a show whose episodes I haven't seen half a dozen times.

I think the writers and producers were trying to go a bit to the idea of socially significant

themes in many of the episodes. It's funny how two guys traveling around in a car happen to meet so many nuts and  weirdos and get into so many dangerous situations every week. Must be a TV

show. Despite all that I still find it entertaining, probably as much for how parts of the

country looked and the mores of the early 1960s than for the plots themselves. 

Possibly my favorite parts.  I frequently look up some of the motels, hotels, businesses, etc. featured in the shows to see if still there.  Most aren't.  Season Three, episode 28 took place on a man-made island in St.Petersburg, FL  area. Tod is selling plots for new houses and Linc (Buz's successor) is working building sea walls so they can build more houses.  They end up driving racing boats for competing rich young women - neither is a blonde - Janice Rule and Susan Kohner.  Kohner was in a couple of episodes and I really like her.  She appears to be one of those young actresses of the Natalie Wood type.

Did Susan play the same character every appearance? Yeah, it was the instrumental version played over the credits that I remember.

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

I'll say she's odd. She's got a broach pinned to her skin.

I think it's actually attached to her dress and is just an illusion. OUCH!

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

You're giving Gloria the benefit of the doubt. My bet is that this dame is into pain.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, TomJH said:

Thanks for the correction, Tiki. I was wondering if anyone would broach the topic of my spelling.

Well, I of course would also have, Tom.

But, and as you might've guessed, misplacing an 'a' in a word that correctly required an 'o' like you did there isn't as high on my priority list of things to note in other people's spelling as would be the case with a certain other vowel.

(...that vowel of course being a 'u')

;)

1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Well, I of course would also have, Tom.

But, and as you might've guessed, misplacing an 'a' in a word that correctly required an 'o' like you did there isn't as high on my priority list of things to note in other people's spelling as would be the case with a certain other vowel.

(...that vowel of course being a 'u')

;)

Yes, I've noticed you're a little ubsessed, Dargo.

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I'd do her.... :D

Not to be rude, but would she want to be done? :)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheCid said:

Susan Kohner.  Kohner was in a couple of episodes and I really like her.  She appears to be one of those young actresses of the Natalie Wood type.

There isn't enough Susan Kohner out there. Thanks for letting me know to look at Rt 66 -it'll be worth taking out from the li-berry just to see her.

Great comparison to Natalie, whom I also like. I actually like Kohner better because she has a stronger voice. Are you aware Kohner's sons are modern movie producers? Imagine having such a gorgeous Mom?

5 hours ago, Hibi said:

You know, I detected no stretchy thin moleskin edging nor netting over exposed skin in the photo. Maybe it was a sticker brooch? Retouched? Ew either way, it looks weird. 

And my friend Mod Betty is doing a two week podcast of her drive on 66 from Chicago to AZ. It's a caravan of hipsters.

• Like 1