Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

11 hours ago, TomJH said:

I'll say she's odd. She's got a broach pinned to her skin.

We know that Gloria was a little kinky, so maybe she was into a bit of s & m. 

Don't hurt me, daddy. Don't hurt me, daddy. Oh daddy, hurt me, hurt me.

• Haha 1

I am certainly glad I have a wide visual palate; I think they're all beautiful.  I mean there might be varying levels of beauty versus attraction, but none of them got where they were because they were tough to look at. ;)

And side note, every time I see her it surprises me Barbara Hale didn't become a bigger star because I have to admit, she really sends me. :rolleyes: Of course she did become a star.  Perry Mason was a big show, but I mean in the moving pictures.  Having said that, I haven't seen much of her work outside of Perry Mason and honestly she wasn't required to deliver a wide range of emotions in any episode I've ever seen and I've seen most of them.

9 hours ago, TheCid said:

Possibly my favorite parts.  I frequently look up some of the motels, hotels, businesses, etc. featured in the shows to see if still there.  Most aren't.  Season Three, episode 28 took place on a man-made island in St.Petersburg, FL  area. Tod is selling plots for new houses and Linc (Buz's successor) is working building sea walls so they can build more houses.  They end up driving racing boats for competing rich young women - neither is a blonde - Janice Rule and Susan Kohner.  Kohner was in a couple of episodes and I really like her.  She appears to be one of those young actresses of the Natalie Wood type.

I stumbled across a site that gives detailed info on all the locations that appear in the series

with then and now photos and other info about the locations. I don't recall the name but

if one googles Route 66 (the TV show) it will pop up on page one. As you say, most of the

buildings are gone. Janice Rule was in an episode recently where she played a woman who

worked for the family boat business near Boston. I think this one is a different episode

from the one with Susan Kohner. I've noticed a strange thing about the episodes on

FETV. First the title Route 66 is shown, then a bit later the title of the episode. Then they

go to a commercial and when the commercial is over they show the title of the episode a

second time. I've never seen that on a TV show before.  

Yes, (tiki) was wondering if some sticker/glue was involved.

26 minutes ago, Looney said:

I am certainly glad I have a wide visual palate; I think they're all beautiful.  I mean there might be varying levels of beauty versus attraction, but none of them got where they were because they were tough to look at. ;)

And side note, every time I see her it surprises me Barbara Hale didn't become a bigger star because I have to admit, she really sends me. :rolleyes: Of course she did become a star.  Perry Mason was a big show, but I mean in the moving pictures.  Having said that, I haven't seen much of her work outside of Perry Mason and honestly she wasn't required to deliver a wide range of emotions in any episode I've ever seen and I've seen most of them.

She appeared in RKO movies of the mid 40s though the early 50s. But few were noteworthy. She can be seen in some Falcon films and other programmers. Her most noteworthy film is probably The Window. She also co-starred with James Stewart in one film (Jackpot). She was quite attractive. Perhaps if she was at another studio and not the downward slide RKO with Hughes, she might have had more of a movie career. Luckily, she got cast in Perry Mason. Every once in awhile, there'd be an episode where Barbara got involved with a case and did more than dictation.

• Thanks 1

Regarding Route 66, Did George Maharis ever come back to the show after he became ill? Or did Glenn Corbett remain on the show till it ended?

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Regarding Route 66, Did George Maharis ever come back to the show after he became ill? Or did Glenn Corbett remain on the show till it ended?

I think he came back the first time but the second time he was gone for good. I think his

last episode was about midway through the third season. I don't know about Buz. Today

he was in a girl's apartment and she told him there were cold beers in the fridge. So he

gets one out and doesn't even ask her if she wants one. Maybe some of that Zen stuff is

messing up his mind.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I'd do her.... :D

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Not to be rude, but would she want to be done? :)

She might if he said he'd like to pin her down.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, TomJH said:

She might if he said he'd like to pin her down.

Looks like she's already been pinned. Unless cigarjoe is into necrophiliac rasslin' he

might be out of luck.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Vautrin said:

We know that Gloria was a little kinky, so maybe she was into a bit of s & m. 

Don't hurt me, daddy. Don't hurt me, daddy. Oh daddy, hurt me, hurt me.

She also married her step son! o.O

Regardless of whatever proclivities she may have had, I really like Gloria Grahame's persona in films. She was right at home in noir.  Even her small part in Odds Against Tomorrow is memorable. Her role in The Big Heat is especially unforgettable.  She also spiced up It's a Wonderful Life playing the town floozy. 

Annette Bening did a great job portraying an older Grahame in Stars Don't Die in Liverpool. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

She also married her step son! o.O

Regardless of whatever proclivities she may have had, I really like Gloria Grahame's persona in films. She was right at home in noir.  Even her small part in Odds Against Tomorrow is memorable. Her role in The Big Heat is especially unforgettable.  She also spiced up It's a Wonderful Life playing the town floozy. 

Annette Bening did a great job portraying an older Grahame in Stars Don't Die in Liverpool. 

Yes, even for Hollywood that was pretty bizarre, though there is some disagreement about when

their relationship started. I've always liked Gloria and thought she was very sexy, and definitely

so in her small role in Odds Against Tomorrow. Upstate bank robbery? No longer interested. I

came across an interesting bit of trivia I hadn't known before. Gloria was a sister-in-law to a

brother of Bob Mitchum's. It's a small world after all. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Hibi said:

I think it's actually attached to her dress and is just an illusion. OUCH!

It is, if you blow up the image you can see a tab? or whatever you'd call it coming up from her left arm pit area.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Hibi said:

Her most noteworthy film is probably The Window. 

I ordered it from Amazon as soon as Eddie mentioned she was in it.  Thanks for the info.  I saw her in THE FALCON IN HOLLYWOOD (1944) and I caught a bit of THE FALCON OUT WEST (1944), but that is it other than Perry.  I think one could write quite an extensive paper or book on Perry and Della.  I'd call it "Beautiful Beards", but that is just me. ;)

HAHAHA!  When I went to IMDB to get the years for those FALCON movies I was reminded she was born in Dekalb, IL just like Cindy Crawford.  Must be something in the water. :D  Looks like I was born in the wrong section of this state. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

It is, if you blow up the image you can see a tab? or whatever you'd call it coming up from her left arm pit area.

image.png.c586d3f97fa8f428d7f6f555b0b61b49.png

It's kind of small, but it almost looks like a piece of tape on her skin!

43 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

image.png.c586d3f97fa8f428d7f6f555b0b61b49.png

It's kind of small, but it almost looks like a piece of tape on her skin!

I noticed something shiny there before trying to blow it up. I thought maybe it was part of the pin/brooch. It probably is some sort of tape or sticky device. LOL.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:07 AM, Hibi said:

Did Susan play the same character every appearance? Yeah, it was the instrumental version played over the credits that I remember.

She played different roles as many of them did.  Janice Rule, Suzane Pleshette, Patty McCormack, etc. 

On 6/26/2019 at 4:37 PM, TikiSoo said:

There isn't enough Susan Kohner out there. Thanks for letting me know to look at Rt 66 -it'll be worth taking out from the li-berry just to see her.

Great comparison to Natalie, whom I also like. I actually like Kohner better because she has a stronger voice. Are you aware Kohner's sons are modern movie producers? Imagine having such a gorgeous Mom?

And my friend Mod Betty is doing a two week podcast of her drive on 66 from Chicago to AZ. It's a caravan of hipsters.

Kohner was in Episode 13 of season 1 and episode 28 of Season 3.

On 6/26/2019 at 4:41 PM, Looney said:

The Falcon in Hollywood and the The Falcon Out West.  To me, Hollywood is the better movie, but Hale has pretty good roles in both.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:03 PM, Hibi said:

As someone mentioned he came back for one episode and then disapperared entirely and was replaced by Corbett.  Interestingly, when Maharais was out, the first few episodes began with Tod calling him on the phone while he was hospitalized somewhere.  You only heard Tod's side.  Then they just stopped referring to him at all and Tod was on his own.

Buz disappeared in Ep. 13 of season 3 (1962).  Buz reappeared in Ep. 17 and then was gone for good.  Lincoln Case (Glen Corbett) joins the series in Ep. 23.  He plays a soldier on leave from Vietnam, who decides to not re-enlist and then joins Tod.  Lot of inaccuracies re: the Army, but hey that's TV.

15 minutes ago, TheCid said:

She played different roles as many of them did.  Janice Rule, Suzane Pleshette, Patty McCormack, etc. 

Kohner was in Episode 13 of season 1 and episode 28 of Season 3.

The Falcon in Hollywood and the The Falcon Out West.  To me, Hollywood is the better movie, but Hale has pretty good roles in both.

As someone mentioned he came back for one episode and then disapperared entirely and was replaced by Corbett.  Interestingly, when Maharais was out, the first few episodes began with Tod calling him on the phone while he was hospitalized somewhere.  You only heard Tod's side.  Then they just stopped referring to him at all and Tod was on his own.

Buz disappeared in Ep. 13 of season 3 (1962).  Buz reappeared in Ep. 17 and then was gone for good.  Lincoln Case (Glen Corbett) joins the series in Ep. 23.  He plays a soldier on leave from Vietnam, who decides to not re-enlist and then joins Tod.  Lot of inaccuracies re: the Army, but hey that's TV.

Yes, I did some reading up on it on imdb. I've seen a few episodes of the show when Decades or MeTv was running it, but unfortunately they took it off. Never saw any Milner solo episodes or Corbett ones.

14 hours ago, Looney said:

I ordered it from Amazon as soon as Eddie mentioned she was in it.  Thanks for the info.  I saw her in THE FALCON IN HOLLYWOOD (1944) and I caught a bit of THE FALCON OUT WEST (1944), but that is it other than Perry.  I think one could write quite an extensive paper or book on Perry and Della.  I'd call it "Beautiful Beards", but that is just me. ;)

HAHAHA!  When I went to IMDB to get the years for those FALCON movies I was reminded she was born in Dekalb, IL just like Cindy Crawford.  Must be something in the water. :D  Looks like I was born in the wrong section of this state. :rolleyes:

In case it hasn't been mentioned yet, the 1949 RKO film noir The Clay Pigeon that Barbara Hale costarred in with her husband Bill Williams is occasionally shown on TCM.

• Thanks 1

Barbara Hale had such a beautiful speaking voice. Another of her movies which occasionally turns up on TCM is A Lion Is in the Streets, the trashy cousin of All the King's Men. Barbara plays a Quaker schoolmarm who ends up marrying the Louisiana politician (based on Huey Long) played by James Cagney. If you-all loves Suthun ay-uc-cents the way I-all does, this is for you. My favorite scene is when Barbara almost gets fed to the alligators by the swamp gal Flamingo, played by Anne Francis. Barbara also gets somewhat lost alongside the over-the-top characters played by Cagney and Francis.

Gee, thanks for spoiling the plot! :( I (and am sure others) haven't seen it.

• Haha 2

Well, poor ol' Buz lost his eyesight yesterday. Somehow he miraculously regained

it before the episode ended. Never underestimate the healing power of Route 66. 

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

Well, poor ol' Buz lost his eyesight yesterday. Somehow he miraculously regained

it before the episode ended. Never underestimate the healing power of Route 66. 

I remember that episode, but never re-watch it.  Too depressing.  I think Barbara Barrie played another blind person at the school for the blind.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

I remember that episode, but never re-watch it.  Too depressing.  I think Barbara Barrie played another blind person at the school for the blind.

I agree it was on the depressing side, even though we're about 99.9% sure that Buz will

regain his sight, you feel sorry for all the residents who won't. It was Barbara Barrie

who played the woman who fell in love with Buz. Hard not to fell a little sorry for her too.

I just saw Barbara on an episode of The Mary Tyler Moore Show where she tried to sell

Murray a piano and maybe more.

Last week I caught the showing of Pickup on South Street. Now I'm a fan of Jean Peters. Unfortunately I see that she went into retirement fairly quickly.