Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

I guess this is a bit late now but before the chance goes by I wanted to join in to compliment Eddie for basing his discussion of On Dangerous Ground on the scoring of the film.  What an unusual and interesting approach for presenting the background of the making of a Noir film.  Of course Eddie also did his consistently thorough job of detailing the other contributors to the movie.  Thanks again Eddie for the time and effort you are investing in this series.

• Like 3

I hope it's okay to discuss films that were on Noir Alley prior... like WAY prior...

I hope that this makes sense:

I've found that I really enjoy the late 1950s noir, the time right before the studio system folded.  Films such has Sweet Smell of Success and Odds Against Tomorrow have such an interesting aesthetic compared to films like The Maltese Falcon or Double Indemnity (which I also like).  'Success' and 'Tomorrow' seem more gritty and realistic.  They're missing that "glamour" quality that studio era noir seem to have.  These films don't have all the tropes (e.g. smart quips, Venetian blind shadows used as symbolism, etc.) that classic noir seem to have.  There's a minimalist quality about them that I like.  There aren't grandiose scores accompanying the action of the film.  I like the jazz used in both 'Success' and 'Tomorrow.'  

I hope this makes sense.  It is hard to describe the aesthetic and vibe that I like from the two films I mentioned above. 

Are there other films out there in the same vein as Sweet Smell of Success and Odds Against Tomorrow ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

Are there other films out there in the same vein as Sweet Smell of Success and Odds Against Tomorrow ? 

Touch of Evil (1958)

The Lineup (1958)

The Crimson Kimono (1959)

Blast Of Silence (1961) 

The Young Savages (1961) 

Something Wild (1961) 

All Fall Down (1962)

Experiment In Terror (1962) 

There are more Non studio B&W noirs that go right up to 68

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Touch of Evil (1958)

The Lineup (1958)

The Crimson Kimono (1959)

Blast Of Silence (1961) 

The Young Savages (1961) 

Something Wild (1961) 

All Fall Down (1962)

Experiment In Terror (1962) 

There are more Non studio B&W noirs that go right up to 68

I have seen Touch of Evil and enjoyed it despite Charlton Heston cast as a Mexican.  My favorite part was actually Marlene Dietrich. 

I have Something Wild recorded.

I will keep an eye out for the others.

Thanks Joe!

I've got Experiment in Terror on DVD, but haven't watched it in a long time.  Somehow it just does not come together the way it should for me.  Glen Ford, Lee Remick, Stephanie Powers and the mystery actor.   The name of the villain is not revealed until the end of the movie.

I know I posted this a few weeks ago and got crickets. Still, now that this festival is about to begin in a few days, I thought I'd post it again.

It's a film noir festival organized by the Toronto Film Society. Starting this Monday (Juy 8th), and every Monday in the summer (except for Civic Holiday Monday), they're screening a film noir double bill. Quite a few unusual noirs in the lineup.

Now, I know most of you would not be in a situation to attend any of these screenings, but still, I kind of thought there might be a little bit of interest just in the fact that they're doing this. If only the Toronto Film Society could have gotten Eddie Muller to speak at a few of them. Wonder if Eddie even knows about it?

The only one here who might be able to attend is Tom - since he lives in Ontario (no privacy violations with that, Tom, I hope?). Tom, you thinking of checking out any of these films?

cigarjoe? have you seen all of these??

Anyway, blahblah, heres' the link. Take a look, even if you can't attend, it's fun to read about:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/tfs-summer-series-black-and-white-and-noir-all-over-14-films-7-mondays-tickets-59137479794

image.png.2b7f7063ebda09dc2effe347385dc2e7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

It's a film noir festival organized by the Toronto Film Society. Starting this Monday (Juy 8th), and every Monday in the summer (except for Civic Holiday Monday), they're screening a film noir double bill. Quite a few unusual noirs in the lineup.

I would really love to see CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY!

• Like 1

I know I posted this a few weeks ago and got crickets. Still, now that this festival is about to begin in a few days, I thought I'd post it again.

Now, I know most of you would not be in a situation to attend any of these screenings, but still, I kind of thought there might be a little bit of interest just in the fact that they're doing this. If only the Toronto Film Society could have gotten Eddie Muller to speak at a few of them. Wonder if Eddie even knows about it?

The only one here who might be able to attend is Tom - since he lives in Ontario (no privacy violations with that, Tom, I hope?). Tom, you thinking of checking out any of these films?

Anyway, blahblah, heres' the link. Take a look, even if you can't attend, it's fun to read about:

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/tfs-summer-series-black-and-white-and-noir-all-over-14-films-7-mondays-tickets-59137479794

Thanks for the notification, MissW, but I don't see myself going to see any of these films, especially since I've already seen the majority of them. Force of Evil is a particular favourite of mine.

Reminds me, though, of all the films that I saw at various Toronto film societies in the past, but that was in the pre-video tape days when it was all but impossible to see many of those films any other way.

• Like 1

I wish I could go to this.  Toronto is so far away from Portland.  I would love to see Toronto though, I've never been to that side of Canada (I've been to Vancouver and Victoria).  Some day I will need to plan a vacation around the film festival.  Going to a classic film festival is definitely on my must-do list.  The TCM one has been on my radar, only because it's in LA which is only a 2-hour flight from me. 

I also really want to go to one of Eddie Muller's SF Noir festivals, which seems feasible. SF is about an 1.5 hr flight or 10-hour drive from Portland.  My husband's uncle and aunt live on the East side of the bay area, so we may be able to stay with them and save money on the hotel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I wish I could go to this.  Toronto is so far away from Portland.  I would love to see Toronto though, I've never been to that side of Canada (I've been to Vancouver and Victoria).  Some day I will need to plan a vacation around the film festival.  Going to a classic film festival is definitely on my must-do list.  The TCM one has been on my radar, only because it's in LA which is only a 2-hour flight from me. 

I also really want to go to one of Eddie Muller's SF Noir festivals, which seems feasible. SF is about an 1.5 hr flight or 10-hour drive from Portland.  My husband's uncle and aunt live on the East side of the bay area, so we may be able to stay with them and save money on the hotel. 

To you ever get to Battleground Washington?   It is just north of Portland.    Just got back from there since my nephew just had a son and that is where I brother use to live.     Nice area.    

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

To you ever get to Battleground Washington?   It is just north of Portland.    Just got back from there since my nephew just had a son and that is where I brother use to live.     Nice area.    

I don't go into Washington very often.  Very rarely I go to Vancouver, just across the Columbia River from Portland. I also sometimes go to Long Beach, as it is just across the bridge from Astoria on the coast. I think I've been to Battleground, but probably more driving through it, I don't think I've actually been there for any length of time.  The most time I've ever spent in Washington is going to Seattle. 

From what I've seen of Washington, it is a very nice state.  I think I've been to California more than Washington. 

Toronto is a 7 1/2 hr drive for me

Don't remember if I've ever seen UNDERTOW 1949

But seen and own some of the rest....

RIDE THE PINK HORSE 1947 own

THE BIG COMBO 1955 own

KISS OF DEATH 1947 own

NIGHTFALL 1956 own

FORCE OF EVIL 1948

FALLEN ANGEL 1945 own

THE LOCKET 1946

JOHNNY O’CLOCK 1947

THE CHASE 1946

TENSION 1949 own

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY 1944 own

PHANTOM LADY 1944 own

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Toronto is a 7 1/2 hr drive for me

Don't remember if I've ever seen UNDERTOW 1949

But seen and own some of the rest....

RIDE THE PINK HORSE 1947 own

THE BIG COMBO 1955 own

KISS OF DEATH 1947 own

NIGHTFALL 1956 own

FORCE OF EVIL 1948

FALLEN ANGEL 1945 own

THE LOCKET 1946

JOHNNY O’CLOCK 1947

THE CHASE 1946

TENSION 1949 own

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY 1944 own

PHANTOM LADY 1944 own

I own Kiss of Death and Fallen Angel as well.  I've been trying to collect all the films in the Fox Film Noir Series.  I think I'm only missing 5. I pick them up when I see them in the used DVD stores I frequent.

I loved The Locket which I also own.  That was a great movie.  I loved the non-linear storyline that was used. It really added to the mental issues experienced by Laraine Day's character. 

Tension was a great film.  It made me a fan of Audrey Totter and Barry Sullivan.  Richard Basehart was good too. I liked the metaphor of a rubber band and how it was used to describe a person's breaking point. A person, Richard Basehart in this example, can only be stretched so far before he snaps. 

I really want to see Christmas Holiday.  I was so disappointed when it was pulled from the Noir Alley schedule.  I'd also like to see Phantom Lady

This looks like a great noir lineup.  I am sad that Toronto is so far away for me.  I definitely can't plan a trip like this on a whim--across country, in another country, no less.  I don't even have a passport!

• Like 2

Well, no crickets this time ! Thanks, everyone, for the responses. And yes, of course I know most of you live too far to even think of attending any of this Noirfest's screenings. As I said, it's just kind of fun to know that this kind of noir festival exists.  I mean, outside of Eddie's noir events - god, I'd love to be able to go to one of them !

Tom, I thought it was interesting that you mentioned you owned most of those noir films, so you had no plans to attend any of the Summer Noir Festival's screenings. I too, have seem most of these films, and own a lot of them. In fact, the only two films I believe I've never seen are the two offerings the first night of the noir fest, Undertow and Ride the Pink Horse.

But - it isn't just about whether we've already seen and might even own these movies. Sure, I can watch them at home whenever I want. But I still feel there's something special, something fun, even kind of exciting, about physically going to a theatre and watching an old movie on the big screen, surrounded by other movie lovers. And in this case, not just movie lovers, but noir lovers.  Don't you know what I mean, or do you never go to a cinema, whether for an old or new film, anymore?  (not trying to be argumentative, just asking.)

5 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

But I still feel there's something special, something fun, even kind of exciting, about physically going to a theatre and watching an old movie on the big screen, surrounded by other movie lovers. And in this case, not just movie lovers, but noir lovers. 

That would definitely be the reason to attend, it would be also nice to sit around have a drink or two and discuss Film Noir. 

• Like 1

Don't you know what I mean, or do you never go to a cinema, whether for an old or new film, anymore?  (not trying to be argumentative, just asking.)

Actually, MisssW, the last time I went to the show was in 2000 (to see What Lies Beneath). I have almost zero interest in what comes out these days and, if there is something of interest, I can wait until the DVD release.

The one exception to that was a special screening of Vertigo at the Toronto Film Festival in 2015. Kim Novak was in attendance and I briefly met the lady, a pretty impressive way to remember my last attendance at a film revival.

• Thanks 1

Well, no crickets this time ! Thanks, everyone, for the responses. And yes, of course I know most of you live too far to even think of attending any of this Noirfest's screenings. As I said, it's just kind of fun to know that this kind of noir festival exists.  I mean, outside of Eddie's noir events - god, I'd love to be able to go to one of them !

Tom, I thought it was interesting that you mentioned you owned most of those noir films, so you had no plans to attend any of the Summer Noir Festival's screenings. I too, have seem most of these films, and own a lot of them. In fact, the only two films I believe I've never seen are the two offerings the first night of the noir fest, Undertow and Ride the Pink Horse.

But - it isn't just about whether we've already seen and might even own these movies. Sure, I can watch them at home whenever I want. But I still feel there's something special, something fun, even kind of exciting, about physically going to a theatre and watching an old movie on the big screen, surrounded by other movie lovers. And in this case, not just movie lovers, but noir lovers.  Don't you know what I mean, or do you never go to a cinema, whether for an old or new film, anymore?  (not trying to be argumentative, just asking.)

I like seeing movies in the theater as well, even if I already own it.  I think I've seen Singin' in the Rain in the theater at least three times.  I know I've seen Casablanca at least twice in the theater.  This Christmas, Meet Me in St. Louis is playing, and even though I've probably seen it at least 30 times and once in the theater, I'm going to go again! Lol.  I find that in the theater, since there are less distractions, sometimes you notice things about the film that you'd never noticed before.  I finally managed to put the plot of Vertigo together in the theater, despite having seen it at least three times prior, at home. When I saw The Maltese Falcon in the theater, I got so much more out of the experience than I do sitting at home. 

Someday, The Long Long Trailer will be in the theater and my life will be complete. LOL.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Someday, The Long Long Trailer will be in the theater and my life will be complete. LOL.

Did you happen to catch the recent TCM film (it's title escapes me but it should be on demand) with Lucille Ball in a shorter trailer? :D

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Did you happen to catch the recent TCM film (it's title escapes me but it should be on demand) with Lucille Ball in a shorter trailer? :D

Funny guy that Joe.

It is on Watch TCM.

Hmm. You know, it's shorts like that that make me realize how much the cultural sense of humour has changed since the '40s (or whenever that was made...looks like the '40s to me.)

It's just not at all funny to me. First, nobody would be so dumb as to actually set fire to an enclosed space, an enclosed space that they're in and that they can't escape from. Second, I also like to think that nobody would be so irresponsible as take their time, once they perceived there really was a fire, in putting it out, especially given there's a human being in that place where the fire's happening. I mean, come on, he knows there's a fire, he finds a guy with a hose, yet he hangs around and lights a cigarette and takes quite a while before putting the fire out.

Yes, I know it's supposed to be funny and not to be taken seriously, and what kind of poe-faced humourless prig am I that I take this little vignette so literally? But it's just not funny to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lucille Ball. In fact, I like her so much I don't want to have to worry about her getting burned or going into a coma from smoke inhalation.

10 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Sorry MissW, but I gotta ask here...

Why in the world would you Canadians celebrate a holiday over a Honda?

AND, might the festivities include allowing anybody who drives a Civic and ONLY a Civic on these Mondays to park it anywhere they want and free of having to feed the parking meters there in Toronto?

(...well, look at this THIS way then...AT LEAST this lousy pun here wasn't about someone purposely starting a fire in an enclosed environment, RIGHT???!!!) ;)

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Next Time I Marry ? I didn't watch it this past time when it was on, but I own an RKO Lucille Ball Comedy Collection. That film is on there and I've seen it before.  I enjoyed it.  Lucy doesn't seem to have good luck in trailers. 

2 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

Hmm. You know, it's shorts like that that make me realize how much the cultural sense of humour has changed since the '40s (or whenever that was made...looks like the '40s to me.)

It's just not at all funny to me. First, nobody would be so dumb as to actually set fire to an enclosed space, an enclosed space that they're in and that they can't escape from. Second, I also like to think that nobody would be so irresponsible as take their time, once they perceived there really was a fire, in putting it out, especially given there's a human being in that place where the fire's happening. I mean, come on, he knows there's a fire, he finds a guy with a hose, yet he hangs around and lights a cigarette and takes quite a while before putting the fire out.

Yes, I know it's supposed to be funny and not to be taken seriously, and what kind of poe-faced humourless prig am I that I take this little vignette so literally? But it's just not funny to me.

Don't get me wrong, I love Lucille Ball. In fact, I like her so much I don't want to have to worry about her getting burned or going into a coma from smoke inhalation.

If I remember right, James Ellison and Lucy have a bit of a love-hate relationship going for much of the film.  Lucy plays an heiress who is engaged to a Count from another country.  Lucy's very patriotic, wealthy father dies and in his will says that she can only receive her inheritance if she marries an average American.  Lucy's plan is to find a stranger to marry, James Ellison, offer him $1000 to marry and divorce her, so she'll receive her inheritance and be free to marry her Count. 

Lucy then inadvertently steals Ellison's dog and he goes after her to get the dog back. At some point, Lucy and Ellison's story makes it to the media and they dub Ellison a "Cinderella Man."  Ellison, not wanting to be seen as some underdog, decides that he wants to be the one who divorces Lucy and not the other way around. Lucy and Ellison are then racing each other across country trying to get to Reno first. I think Lucy had driven off with Ellison's camper (I can't remember now, I'll have to re-watch the film) and he finds it and drives off with her inside.  She wants him to stop and tells him that she'll light the trailer on fire.  Even though I will agree, that it was stupid of her to do that, Ellison even says so, she thinks that he'll stop the trailer.  He calls her bluff and she does light it on fire.  I agree that his lack of urgency in putting out the fire is cruel, but I took it as his revenge for her intentionally burning his camper down. 

This isn't the best movie in the world, but I found it amusing enough.