Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

29 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Coenties_Slip_8.jpg

One of the things I learned in model railroading is that an S curve (as above) is very tricky.  The train is headed in one direction and you jerk it to another and then do it again very quickly.  Leads to a lot of derailments.

Well in that case Cid, is was probably a darn good thing that cellphones - with which the operator of this elevated train might've pulled out and starting using to check his Tweets and/or emails and then become distracted enough in his job to allow this sucker to begin traveling faster than its prescribed and safe speed through those turns - wouldn't be invented for another 60 years or so after it ceased operations, huh. ;)

(...see?!...TOLD ya right up there that my "clever and witty bar" is placed pretty darn low, now didn't I?!!!)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, speedracer5 said:

I have a You Tube app on my TV, so I could stream movies onto it.  If Christmas Holiday has a low resolution on a 10" screen, I'm not sure how it'll look on a 55" screen.

The resolution is 360p on YouTube. A DVD is 480p. HD is mostly 1080p. Sometimes 720p. This is the vertical resolution. Horizontal resolution varies with aspect ratio.

My TV is traditional HD (1920 x 1080). You probably have 4K. That doubles both resolutions. (3840 x 2160).

Your TV will do all it can to upscale the source material.

It did look watchable on my tablet. It is 1920 x 1200.

If DVDs look okay on your TV, Christmas Holiday might look okay too.

Do you by chance have an LG?

3 hours ago, Michael Rennie said:

I am sort of interested in Chromecast. I have cheap Roku and Amazon TV sticks, and don't like either. My brother is an IT guy with our public schools. They have Chromecast and Chromebooks everywhere.

I don't have wireless, so Chromecast is out for me. But watching on my laptop does just fine.

52 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

The resolution is 360p on YouTube. A DVD is 480p. HD is mostly 1080p. Sometimes 720p. This is the vertical resolution. Horizontal resolution varies with aspect ratio.

My TV is traditional HD (1920 x 1080). You probably have 4K. That doubles both resolutions. (3840 x 2160).

Your TV will do all it can to upscale the source material.

It did look watchable on my tablet. It is 1920 x 1200.

If DVDs look okay on your TV, Christmas Holiday might look okay too.

Do you by chance have an LG?

No I have a Samsung.  It's a 4k UHD TV.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I don't have wireless, so Chromecast is out for me. But watching on my laptop does just fine.

Do you have a smart phone? You can cast right to the Chromecast from it. You only need wireless connection to cast from your computer to the Chromecast.

32 minutes ago, Marianne said:

I can't crawl under my home anymore to run wires. Wi-Fi rules!

If your TV, laptop, and Internet are in the same area, you can possibly attach your laptop to TV, using HDMI.

3 hours ago, TheCid said:

I enjoyed The Tattooed Stranger and especially Eddies commentaries.  Forgot which one, but apparently one of the female hosts has a tattoo?

Thought it interesting that the RKO-Pathe B movie enterprise died due to many people discovering they could work in TV and essentially make 54 minute B movies every week.  Eddie mentioned M Squad and The Naked City as two of the Noir type TV shows that displaced B movies.

I thought the "love interest" looked familiar, but as Patricia Barry, not White as noted by Eddie.

Yep, Patricia White married Philip Barry, Jr., son of the playwright Philip Barry (who wrote The Philadelphia Story, among others) and changed her stage name to match her married name, Patricia Barry.

Patricia Barry had several memorable soap opera roles, especially Addie Horton on Days of Our Lives. In a classic soap opera plot, nightclub owner Doug Williams (Bill Hayes) was having an affair with Julie Banning (Susan Seaforth, later to become Susan Seaforth Hayes), a beautiful woman who already had a husband and a son. They were going to run away together, agreeing that they could not take the boy with them, as that would be too hard on the father. However, Julie planned to bring the boy anyway. When Doug found out, he did what any man would have done under those circumstances: he eloped with Julie's mother Addie.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I had never seen this one before. Sure it was your typical police procedural,

but nicely done for the most part. And the newbie college educated guy teamed

with the shoe leather veteran officer is not original either, but it was fun to see

the two of them bouncing wisecracks off one another. Naturally they were on their

way to becoming pals before the end of the picture. From what I could gather, the

woman was killed by her first husband because she was a scam artist who took

advantage of people. I never realized that was Patricia Berry, either by her looks

or her voice. She was in scads of TV shows during the 1950s and 1960s. I did

recognize Jack Lord, who had a few brief scenes as one of the cops. Even back

then it was easy to recognize his helmet hair. Book 'em. My dad got a tattoo in

New York during the war. It had his girlfriend's name on it with an arrow going

through the background. Well, he found out his beloved was "stepping out" on 

him and ended that relationship though he kept the tattoo. 

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

...My dad got a tattoo in New York during the war.

It had his girlfriend's name on it with an arrow going

through the background. Well, he found out his beloved was "stepping out" on 

him and ended that relationship though he kept the tattoo. 

...and to this very day, anytime the name "Zelda" is mentioned around them, my father gets this strange far-away look in his eyes, and my mother gets the giggles.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

...and to this very day, anytime the name "Zelda" is mentioned around them, my father gets this strange far-away look in his eyes, and my mother gets the giggles.

Not Zelda Fitzgerald? His girlfriend's name was likely more common than Zelda. He said he went

with a bunch of his buddies and after he got his they all chickened out. Lesson learned. The tattoo

certainly stood the test of time.

3 hours ago, Vautrin said:

Not Zelda Fitzgerald? His girlfriend's name was likely more common than Zelda. He said he went

with a bunch of his buddies and after he got his they all chickened out. Lesson learned. The tattoo

certainly stood the test of time.

Well, of course I picked the name "Zelda" because it has kind of a funny sound to it, but surely there have been other "Zeldas" in the past and other than ol' F. Scott's wife and muse?!

(...btw...do you think there's any chance at all that your dad's NYC tattooist might have been one of the guys depicted in this flick?...naaah, probably not, huh...it's a big city, huh...a big NAKED city...and which NOW reminds of watching that TV show when I was kid, and wonderin' why they called it that when it was clearly shown in it that everybody in NYC was fully clothed...well, except of course whenever you'd see Paul Burke walk into one of those sleazy Times Square strip joints while investigating a crime and you'd maybe see a quick shot of some of the ladies on stage, and...hey, am I ramblin' on here???)

• Haha 1

I too, wondered that, or at least how they got away with CALLING it that, not realizing(until my mom filled me in) the double meaning in the word NAKED.  Bob Dylan, in his song, "It's Alright Ma,(I'm Only Bleeding)" uses it thus

"...but even the president of the United States/

sometimes has to stand naked."  

As LBJ was the president at the time, it was an unsavory image.  :o :wacko:  :D 

Sepiatone

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Dargo said:

Well, of course I picked the name "Zelda" because it has kind of a funny sound to it, but surely there have been other "Zeldas" in the past and other than ol' F. Scott's wife and muse?!

Well there's always Princess Zelda of the Legend of Zelda Nintendo series.  Princess Zelda and Zelda Fitzgerald are the only Zeldas I know about.  Though I think Robin Williams' daughter might be named Zelda?

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

(...btw...do you think there's any chance at all that your dad's NYC tattooist might have been one of the guys depicted in this flick?...naaah, probably not, huh...it's a big city, huh...a big NAKED city...and which NOW reminds of watching that TV show when I was kid, and wonderin' why they called it that when it was clearly shown in it that everybody in NYC was fully clothed...well, except of course whenever you'd see Paul Burke walk into one of those sleazy Times Square strip joints while investigating a crime and you'd maybe see a quick shot of some of the ladies on stage, and...hey, am I ramblin' on here???)

That's the first one that popped into my mind and off hand I can't think of any others.

I never saw the TV show on the first go around and I don't think it was syndicated

very much. There are eight million stories in the naked city and 85% of them should

have been clothed. 

• Haha 1

On 7/7/2019 at 5:04 PM, cigarjoe said:

Do you have a smart phone? You can cast right to the Chromecast from it. You only need wireless connection to cast from your computer to the Chromecast.

On 7/7/2019 at 5:09 PM, Michael Rennie said:

I can't crawl under my home anymore to run wires. Wi-Fi rules!

If your TV, laptop, and Internet are in the same area, you can possibly attach your laptop to TV, using HDMI.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep the Chromecast and other suggestions in mind.

Now I promise to leave this thread to Noir Alley fans everywhere!

15 hours ago, Vautrin said:

That's the first one that popped into my mind and off hand I can't think of any others.

I never saw the TV show on the first go around and I don't think it was syndicated

very much. There are eight million stories in the naked city and 85% of them should

have been clothed. 

As one who recalls seeing most of the episodes when they were first run (and faithfully plopping my a** in front of the tube when it came on) I always tried to catch any reruns of it over the years.  It was then that it came to light the show also featured early work of many who went on to bigger and better things.  

There was one episode in which VIC MORROW played a guy trying to become a cop, like his Father before him.  Another one in which a very young DUSTIN HOFFMAN could be seen pulling a diner "hold up" which was foiled by a guy pretending to be a beat cop.  I've also noticed ROBERT DUVALL  and a young WILLIAM SHATNER in some old episodes. 

Cool show.  It's due for another round of syndication IMHO.  ;)

Sepiatone

5 minutes ago, Sepiatone said:

As one who recalls seeing most of the episodes when they were first run (and faithfully plopping my a** in front of the tube when it came on) I always tried to catch any reruns of it over the years.  It was then that it came to light the show also featured early work of many who went on to bigger and better things.  

There was one episode in which VIC MORROW played a guy trying to become a cop, like his Father before him.  Another one in which a very young DUSTIN HOFFMAN could be seen pulling a diner "hold up" which was foiled by a guy pretending to be a beat cop.  I've also noticed ROBERT DUVALL  and a young WILLIAM SHATNER in some old episodes. 

Cool show.  It's due for another round of syndication IMHO.  ;)

Sepiatone

I bought the series on DVD, I however, enjoyed the 1/2 hour season one episodes with their quirky NYC specific intros, i.e., the sidewalk fishermen who tried to retrieve change that fell through the sewer and subway air shaft grates.

Those first season episodes also had John McIntire as the head detective. The pacing was better in the half hour shows. Once it went to an hour the writers went hog wild with the drama dragging the pacing out with these long expositions of emoting (usually in standard looking blah studio sets), the actors probably loved it, it gave them more screen time to do their stuff, but I didn't cause it devoted less time to the now quite intriguing on location footage of NYC. :D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I bought the series on DVD, I however, enjoyed the 1/2 hour season one episodes with their quirky NYC specific intros, i.e., the sidewalk fishermen who tried to retrieve change that fell through the sewer and subway air shaft grates.

Those first season episodes also had John McIntire as the head detective. The pacing was better in the half hour shows. Once it went to an hour the writers went hog wild with the drama dragging the pacing out with these long expositions of emoting (usually in standard looking blah studio sets), the actors probably loved it, it gave them more screen time to do their stuff, but I didn't cause it devoted less time to the now quite intriguing on location footage of NYC. :D

I remember when Gunsmoke went form 1/2 to 1 hour.  It was my father's favorite show, but he quit watching it.  Too much drama, romance or whatever.  He wanted action.

50 minutes ago, TheCid said:

I remember when Gunsmoke went form 1/2 to 1 hour.  It was my father's favorite show, but he quit watching it.  Too much drama, romance or whatever.  He wanted action.

Then I have a feeling the 90 minute The Virginian series would have been completely out of your dad's viewing selection back in the day, eh Cid?

(...however, I remember my father liking it for whatever reason(s)...to this then kid here though, I always thought the episodes just dragged on and on due to their length)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Marianne said:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep the Chromecast and other suggestions in mind.

Now I promise to leave this thread to Noir Alley fans everywhere!

Some drifting may occur.

UPDATE: I looked at Christmas Holiday on my 23 inch computer screen. It is 1920 x 1080 HD without upscaling. While I'm not interested in watching the movie, I found it good enough to do so.

My PC is all-in-one, with HDMI input. So I was actually using my Fire TV stick with YouTube app.

Maybe Noir Alley will get this back on the schedule.

4 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

UPDATE: I looked at Christmas Holiday on my 23 inch computer screen. It is 1920 x 1080 HD without upscaling. While I'm not interested in watching the movie, I found it good enough to do so.

What types of classic film do you enjoy watching? I'm not being facetious, I promise. 

54 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

What types of classic film do you enjoy watching? I'm not being facetious, I promise. 

Okay, I sometimes read posts in this thread, not really being a Noir fan. My bad. When here, I try to be useful. I enjoy Key Largo.

Love musicals and courtroom dramas. Not a fan of violence, which probably keeps me from being a Noir fan.

Comedies too. Auntie Mame.

I am a fan of your posts. In a different section, I laughed at your trip to San Jose and used DVDs. It is funny how people still want DVDs. Blu-ray is still sluggish, I believe. I cannot see the picture difference.

TCM is getting too rich for my blood with Comcast. I may have to downgrade and may consider Netfix on DVD.

48 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

Okay, I sometimes read posts in this thread, not really being a Noir fan. My bad. When here, I try to be useful. I enjoy Key Largo.

Love musicals and courtroom dramas. Not a fan of violence, which probably keeps me from being a Noir fan.

Comedies too. Auntie Mame.

I am a fan of your posts. In a different section, I laughed at your trip to San Jose and used DVDs. It is funny how people still want DVDs. Blu-ray is still sluggish, I believe. I cannot see the picture difference.

TCM is getting too rich for my blood with Comcast. I may have to downgrade and may consider Netfix on DVD.

I was trying to think of a non-violent noir. I guess it depends on how much violence you consider “too much.” Sunset Blvd isn’t all that violent, except for I guess maybe the ending. The thing I find amusing about violence in noir, like gun violence, is that people get shot, but there’s no blood, no bullet holes. We just have to take their word for it that they’ve been shot. 

Courtroom drama. I presume that you’ve seen 12 Angry Men? That’s a good one. To Kill a Mockingbird was fantastic. 

I do love musicals. Except I’m more of a fan of the ones that have dancing. If it’s straight singing, then the songs must be pretty catchy. 

Comedies are always good. The Devil and Miss Jones and The More the Merrier are two of my favorites. 

Re: DVDs. TCM or the library or what not doesn’t always have what I want to see. I supplement with DVDs so that I can watch what I want when I want to. 

Comcast is too expensive for me too. That’s why I switched to satellite. I love my 2 TB DVR. I would never see anything on TCM if it weren’t for the DVR. 

52 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

The thing I find amusing about violence in noir, like gun violence, is that people get shot, but there’s no blood, no bullet holes. We just have to take their word for it that they’ve been shot.

I guess that is true. You hear the gun shots and someone falls. Lady in the Lake is very creative. So is the Murder, She Wrote version. (A Lady in the Lake)

I can't save by switching to Dish, and DirecTV is dead to me. If I downgrade cable from 220 channels to 140 channels, TCM is my only casualty.

I can run Prime or Netflix through my cable box. I think there are more classics on Netflix DVD.

If I have to leave, it will be so exciting when I come back.

(I seldom use On Demand or DVR)

EDIT: $11.99 for 2 DVDs at a time per month (Netflix DVD)

First month free. Check this out:

https://dvd.netflix.com/Collections

19 minutes ago, Michael Rennie said:

I guess that is true. You hear the gun shots and someone falls. Lady in the Lake is very creative. So is the Murder, She Wrote version. (A Lady in the Lake)

I can't save by switching to Dish, and DirecTV is dead to me. If I downgrade cable from 220 channels to 140 channels, TCM is my only casualty.

I can run Prime or Netflix through my cable box. I think there are more classics on Netflix DVD.

If I have to leave, it will be so exciting when I come back.

(I seldom use On Demand or DVR)

EDIT: $11.99 for 2 DVDs at a time per month (Netflix DVD)

First month free. Check this out:

https://dvd.netflix.com/Collections

If you liked Lady in the Lake, then you may like Dark Passage, it employs the same first person perspective that 'Lady' uses.  Dark Passage has a couple scenes that could be considered violent.  I am not sure what your violence threshold is and what "violent" means to you.

I believe Hulu also has TCM.  You have to subscribe to their live TV. That is what Lorna uses to access TCM.

I do have Netflix but dropped the DVD component awhile back.  My problem is that I have so many things to watch that the Netflix DVD just sat on my TV stand for weeks, maybe even months, before I watched it. If I watched it.  I could have purchased the movie by then.  I find that the library and DVR works better for me cost-wise. 

Unless they changed it, Netflix's plan was x amount of disks at a time and you could rent as many as you wanted each month--if you watched 2 movies or 10 movies, it was up to you. You fill up your queue with films, prioritize what you wanted to see and as soon as you returned your disk, they'd send the next available film in your queue. 

• Thanks 1