Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

7 hours ago, Hibi said:

I'm sure it'll be rerun. I forget where it was located. It was a good one, but really upsetting (at least for me).

Oh, I think it was northern CA.

I was able to get through the streaming maze and will watch it later on, today or tomorrow.

It's funny how many of the episodes begin with someone happy to get away from the danger

of the big city and move to the quite, peaceful countryside and then all hell breaks loose. 

7 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I was able to get through the streaming maze and will watch it later on, today or tomorrow.

It's funny how many of the episodes begin with someone happy to get away from the danger

of the big city and move to the quite, peaceful countryside and then all hell breaks loose. 

Yeah, I prefer the city after watching this series.......at least there are more people around.

2 hours ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I prefer the city after watching this series.......at least there are more people around.

There is certainly less green space to fight over, which seems to be how many of these things

start. Fortunately IRL there are fewer crazies out there than on FTN.

4 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

There is certainly less green space to fight over, which seems to be how many of these things

start. Fortunately IRL there are fewer crazies out there than on FTN.

I hope so!

Plus who wants to watch people being nice to each other after the second cup of borrowed sugar?

Welcome to Bobcat Lane. Bobcat Lane.? Get the **** out of here.

LOL. Do you watch that Twisted Sisters show? There was a really bizarre case this week.......

FTN went downhill fast this time. From the first gesture!

I don't know if the hour long SUSPENSE CROSSFIRE is better than the movie, but I also don't know how you could tell.  :lol:  I can't believe how much of what is in the movie made it into the radio program.  It seemed like almost everything was the same.  One place I noticed seemed a bit more rushed was when Montgomery kills Floyd.  If I remember correctly there was more dialogue in the movie before the actual act.  I'm sure there was more abbreviation than that in the SUSPENSE play, but that is the only thing I can remember off the top of my head.  It was excellent.

5 hours ago, Looney said:

I don't know if the hour long SUSPENSE CROSSFIRE is better than the movie, but I also don't know how you could tell.  :lol:  I can't believe how much of what is in the movie made it into the radio program.  It seemed like almost everything was the same.  One place I noticed seemed a bit more rushed was when Montgomery kills Floyd.  If I remember correctly there was more dialogue in the movie before the actual act.  I'm sure there was more abbreviation than that in the SUSPENSE play, but that is the only thing I can remember off the top of my head.  It was excellent.

Was it (SUSPENSE CROSSFIRE) about prejudice about Jews or about homosexuals? Montgomery kills Samuels not because he is Jewish but because he is homosexual in the original novel.

Just now, Hibi said:

LOL. Do you watch that Twisted Sisters show? There was a really bizarre case this week.......

FTN went downhill fast this time. From the first gesture!

I do watch Twister Sisters sometimes. It's more subtle than I thought it would be from the

title. I like the title of an upcoming series--Relatively Evil.

I finished with the FTN episode. Yep, Kevin had more than a few screws loose. I shouldn't have

laughed when he sucker punched the old lady, but I couldn't help myself. 

I was sorry the coward took the easy way out......

2 Asian sisters living in extreme filth. Couldnt even walk around there was so much junk/garbage laying around! I dont feel so bad about my place.

• Haha 1

Just now, Hibi said:

I was sorry the coward took the easy way out......

2 Asian sisters living in extreme filth. Couldnt even walk around there was so much junk/garbage laying around! I dont feel so bad about my place.

He was way off the rails, even for an FTN episode. I didn't see the one about the two Asian

sisters. Sounds like an episode of Hoarders.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Was it (SUSPENSE CROSSFIRE) about prejudice about Jews or about homosexuals? Montgomery kills Samuels not because he is Jewish but because he is homosexual in the original novel.

Had to be changed for the movie because of the production code.

9 minutes ago, kingrat said:

Had to be changed for the movie because of the production code.

I know that about the film. I was wondering about Looney's radio broadcast of the story.

5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Prejudice.  It was basically a re-reading of the movie script with some slight alterations.  Another change I remember was Steve Brodie was not Floyd Bowers.  Bowers was voiced by someone else.

8 hours ago, Looney said:

Prejudice.  It was basically a re-reading of the movie script with some slight alterations.  Another change I remember was Steve Brodie was not Floyd Bowers.  Bowers was voiced by someone else.

OK thanks for the info.

1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

OK thanks for the info.

One of the reasons why I love classic radio so much is that they didn’t have a production code that was a stringent as the motion pictures did. On the radio you could get away with murder, you could mention drugs, you could mention prostitution, and even a few other things. That said, they stuck to the premise of the movie and ixnayed in the ay-gay. 

It’s still good though, often times movies lose something when they get streamlined it to a half hour or hour long retelling on the radio, but it just works really well in the case of CROSSFIRE

• Like 1

Nocturne (1946) was a well-crafted noir.  The cinematography of Harry J. Wild (great shots of L.A.) and the twisty plot were two big plusses.  The performances weren’t bad.  George Raft was Gorge Raft: serviceable; a few good expressions; and he gets to play the hero. 

15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Great, forgot which one it was and it's been quite a while since I've seen it.

Watched the entire film (due to my wife saying 'don't change the station' after seeing Eddie's intro).

I have seen the film many times so I wasn't sure I was going to watch it.    Eddie's intro and outro were fairly long and supplied a lot of cool info.    He read Huston's statement from Bogart's funeral - something I just read the day before since I'm reading the book Courage and Art about the life of John Huston.

• Like 4

THE HARDER THEY FALL (1956)

I admit I have seen this one a few times.  Predictable, but WOW that is a hell of a movie.  The acting is so fabulous and I LOVE so many of those pretty pictures of the cities. :D  The script is fantastic.  I do understand how some could get bored with the subject matter, but it is just so well done.  So many things one could discuss, but I think one of the most unique things about this movie is the scene where Nick (Steiger) tries to get Beth (Sterling) to play ball.  Most of the rest of the movie is following a pretty well formulated and predictable structure.  The only thing that makes it stand out is some great dialogue, fantastic acting and a few scenes like this one.  The little unexpected moments like this that almost point to the fact that they are following a set planned structure within the fantasy world of the film and as well as the reality of the structured film narrative.  Here is a moment where Nick is saying this is the time where you go meet your husband and start to question what he is doing after you see it first hand then try to force him out of my little scheme.  The character is pointing to the way the story of the movie predictably should unfold as well as the story of the reality setup up within the fictional movie world.  It is a fantastic scene that adds a unique twist.  There are other such moments, but you get my point.

The real tough part of this film is knowing what Bogart is going through and seeing it all over his face. :(

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Looney said:

THE HARDER THEY FALL (1956)

What I really noticed this go round was Steiger's acting chops, he goes convincingly head to head with Bogie, it's like witnessing both the end of an era and the passing of the baton to a new generation.   

• Like 1

I like The Harder They Fall. I know next to nothing about boxing, but like all good boxing movies, you don't have to know anything about it to get engaged in the film. Besides, in this case, poor Toro Moreno seems to know next to nothing about boxing too.

About the character of Toro: one thing I like about noir films is, they're usually fairly short. They get in, tell their story, and get out. The Harder They Fall is slighter longer than many noirs, but still clocks in at under two hours. What I'm getting at here is, something I would have liked to see in the film would have made it a little longer, maybe by five minutes or so. And what I would have liked is, just a little more development of Toro's character. Yes, I know, he's just a symbol really, a symbol of the kind of poor unsophisticated young guy being made a total patsy by the boxing crooks like Steiger. And maybe it isn't necessary to flesh out (unfortunate turn of phrase, given the subject matter?) Toro any more than he is.

But I just think it would have made his character more interesting, maybe even a bit more sympathetic (not that he isn't that), more real, if we'd had maybe just a five-minute conversation between him and Eddie about who he is, how he ended up with Steiger's gang, where he came from, who and what he cares about. Yes, he's a "simple" guy, but just a little more conversation from him, maybe just a few lines, would have made him more human and less of just an emblem of how these kind of guys are used.

I really liked Jan Sterling's performance, but then, I'm prejudiced; I always like Jan Sterling. I wish she'd get "Star of the Month", or at least, Star for a Day in August. Still, on the whole, I think Jan is more fun as a "bad" girl, like in Mystery Street (where she's more tough than "bad") and of course, Ace in the Hole.

The Harder They Fall was, as we all know, Bogart's last film. Isn't it good that he went out on such a high note?

• Like 3

From the moment The Harder They Fall begins, it grabs me. I love the film's beginning over the credits, I love the hard hitting music, I love the print used in the opening credits. The opening is so powerful. 

Rod Steiger has never been one of my favorite actors, ( great in On The Waterfront) but for the most part, too intense for me, however in The Harder They Fall, I think he's great. He certainly plays it in a menacing way and yet knows the buttons to push to get the intelligent character Bogart plays to see things his way in the beginning.  Even though Steiger convinces Bogart's character to put aside his moral and ethical beliefs he can't as time goes on. 

Another performance I think is great is that of Toro. He's sweet and naive and gentle and it's impossible not to feel for him. Yes, his lines are brilliant, but he plays the character perfectly.

The Harder They Fall is a terrific film, engrossing from start to finish and it's favorite of mine. I thought Eddie's opening and ending information was also great. so interesting and a top notch job as usual.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

From the moment The Harder They Fall begins, it grabs me. I love the film's beginning over the credits, I love the hard hitting music, I love the print used in the opening credits. The opening is so powerful. 

Rod Steiger has never been one of my favorite actors, ( great in On The Waterfront) but for the most part, too intense for me, however in The Harder They Fall, I think he's great. He certainly plays it in a menacing way and yet knows the buttons to push to get the intelligent character Bogart plays to see things his way in the beginning.  Even though Steiger convinces Bogart's character to put aside his moral and ethical beliefs he can't as time goes on. A

Another performance I think is great is that of Toro. He's sweet and naive and gentle and it's impossible not to feel for him. Yes, his lines are brilliant, but he plays the character perfectly.

The Harder They Fall is a terrific film, engrossing from start to finish and it's favorite of mine. I thought Eddie's opening and ending information was also great. so interesting and a top notch job as usual.

Agree with all  you say here.

I hope I didn't seem critical of Toro, either the character or the performance. I agree he's sweet and gentle and I do feel for him. I just wish they'd given him just a bit more dialogue, just to give us a little more back story about him.

Rod Steiger: I love this guy. I always enjoy his performances, whatever he's in. I don't mind his "over-the-top" quality at all, I enjoy it. And as you say, he kind of holds that in check a bit in this film.

• Like 1