Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

1 hour ago, laffite said:

I used to go to my fave pot pie place every week ($40), now I only every two weeks ($20)

What SoCal has pot pie restaurants? Lets hear about this. Never heard of them before.

1 hour ago, Joe Gillis said:

One of Barbara Payton's most famous quotes (when asked if she wanted to enter detox) was:  "I'd rather drink and die." Doesn't get much more noir than that.

It sure don't. I get a blast out of watching early Noir Exploitation films because a lot of the people in them are the real deal. They may not be the best actors but real scumbags are playing scumbags real strippers are playing strippers with their personally creative show routines and not watered down Hollywood costumed and choreographed interpretations of them. Doesn't get much Noir-er than that either. 😎

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

What SoCal has pot pie restaurants? Lets hear about this. Never heard of them before.

A pot pie for 40 bucks?? That's pretty steep.

On 10/1/2019 at 5:36 PM, Vautrin said:

I think he was a steelworker so maybe he had some kind of shift work where he wasn't at home

during certain hours. It's hard to tell from an hour long program about the details of their life.

Was it a hard core party house or just a place where kids congregated. The one son did go off

to college so I guess they studied a little bit. 

PAULA (The Victims!) ZAHN ALERT! Her show is coming back staring in Nov. (promos every commercial break last night). Show has only been off the air 3 mos. :( Wish she'd follow Joe Kenda's example...

I enjoyed Trapped, though there are a lot of familiar elements to films like this. In particular, the film had me thinking of White Heat, at least to a superficial degree. Both films feature prominent roles for government agents infiltrating criminal gangs, both have government men physically tracking the criminals on LA streets, both have violent finales in which the head of the gang (after that leader has shot down one of his own) is isolated as the law closes in.

Of course, there's also the Cagney-Barbara Payton connection as she would be co-starred with him in his WH followup, Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hibi said:

A pot pie for 40 bucks?? That's pretty steep.

Could be a gourmet pot pie....

Re-watched a 1983 tv movie based in fact & ironically starring Mr Noir & Mr RKO Robert Mitchum  A Killer in the Family (***) online, it's grainy but you can easily find entire film, he was 66 then & same year he made the epic & popular mini-series The Winds of War (**1/2) (NOTE: It's sequel 1989's War and Rememberance was much better (***1/2) & with Jane Seymour.

This guy he plays makes Max Cady & The Preacher in the brilliant Night of the Hunter seem like choirboys though & really happened  James Spader &Eric Stoltz co star & very young at that

For MITCHUM fans a must to search for, just punch it in

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Could be a gourmet pot pie....

I guess so. LOL.

2 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I speak of an independent shoppe called the Pop Pie Co., located in San Diego. It's independent, there are only two of them. They have an assortment of dinner pies and dessert pies. The chicken pie is to die for. It's $8.50 on the premises and they have what they call Take and Bake where you can buy day old pies for $5. Freeze them and bake at home. I am totally addicted.

I usually get out of there for $10 (without Take and Bake) and that's the $40 per month I came up with upthread as i go on average about once a week. It's a tough stop if you're saving money though. You can get a side for an extra $3 and if you get a coffee it's even more. To make matters much worse, right next door in the same building they have a home-made ice cream shop where you can a small (but adequate) cup of ice cream for $4.85 (my fave is the S'mores). So, one pie on premises, one Take and Bake for home, and a S'mores, is about $18 a visit, oof !!!

So it's a tough call ; Noir Alley or Pie Heaven ??? (don't ask).

https://www.poppieco.com/

///

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hibi said:

PAULA (The Victims!) ZAHN ALERT! Her show is coming back staring in Nov. (promos every commercial break last night). Show has only been off the air 3 mos. :( Wish she'd follow Joe Kenda's example...

She's Back!!! In a network that seems to have new shows every month, Zahn has been on for

a long time. I think Kenda quit because his ratings were probably down, not because he had

some grand epiphany that it was time to end things. I haven't seen the promos yet but I'm

sure I will soon. So the fingerprint was a key to identifying the killer? Yes, the fingerprint was

key in identifying the killer.

Trapped was an enjoyable, quickly done flick that doesn't waste any time on non-essentials.

I wonder if people who saw the movie when it first came out took the cornball narration at

the start seriously. I always laugh when these super serious things are read in these types

of crime films. Also funny was John Hoyt thinking he had a chance with Barbara Payton though

that was only a part of his undercover job. Not only was Sylvester an unprepossessing villain, but a

stupid one, managing to electrocute himself. 

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

She's Back!!! In a network that seems to have new shows every month, Zahn has been on for

a long time. I think Kenda quit because his ratings were probably down, not because he had

some grand epiphany that it was time to end things. I haven't seen the promos yet but I'm

sure I will soon. So the fingerprint was a key to identifying the killer? Yes, the fingerprint was

key in identifying the killer.

LOL. Just can't get rid of her. Her show ran 9 months the last time. Like 3x the normal shows on there. She's been on 5 years or so. Get the hook.

1 hour ago, Hibi said:

LOL. Just can't get rid of her. Her show ran 9 months the last time. Like 3x the normal shows on there. She's been on 5 years or so. Get the hook.

Maybe she has something on the upper management of ID.

On 2/10/2017 at 9:30 AM, DownGoesFrazier said:

Don't have one. Too complicated for me.

Actually, it's not complicated at all.  If I can do it, you can do it!

Frazier has not been with us for some time. :( What are you referring to anyway?

1 hour ago, mr6666 said:

·
Oct 11

CLASH BY NIGHT ('52) features Marilyn Monroe in one of her early film roles

alongside Barbara Stanwyck, Robert Ryan and Paul Douglas. It's this week's film on #NoirAlley hosted by

Funny but the TCM 'genre' for this film is 'romance'.

Despite the solid cast,  the film falls flat for me.

But I'm interested in Eddie's take on the film. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Despite the solid cast,  the film falls flat for me.

I love CLASH BY NIGHT and enjoy complicated charactors who don't follow the norms. Babs is always a treat when she's nasty. I've shown this to people who have disliked it intensely.

I skipped it and did not bother to record.  Tried to watch it several years ago and it was a boring romance movie to me.

Clash By Night - caught this Saturday night, but didn't have a way of posting till now. I was just reading on the phone. I've seen it before. Anyway nobodies mentioned the relationship between the three leads. I didn't see any chemistry between Ryan and Barbara Stanwyck it  just happened too quick. Ryan gives off  his not quite all there damaged individual vibe which you'd think most women would steer clear of. It wasn't believe-able to me and neither was Stanwyck's mother character. She didn't seem to care very much about her baby. It was like it wasn't even there. Maybe the screenwriter just failed to convey a realistic mother. Or it was the studio screwing with the direction or the edits? 

It would have been interesting to read where the original version would have gone had it followed the original plot point of Paul Douglas killing Robert Ryan. 

• Like 1

Okay so just to add to what I already started.  I can't really justify even a dollar a day for a streaming service just to access TCM.  I am already paying for, HULUPLUS, Netflix Streaming AND DVD service, Amazon Prime, MLBTV, on top of $30 a month for Sling.  That is also why all of the options people have given me are not panning out so far.  They are even more expensive than Sling and for instance Hulu Live doesn't have any sports.  Like I said, it isn't just me watching.  If it were just me I wouldn't worry about the sports and put the MLB money into Sling. LOL  

CLASH BY NIGHT (1952)

That is one hell of a good script.  I mean some seriously great dialogue and acting, but what the hell happened at the end?  Was it suggesting she take the kid and go or that he was just going to live with never trusting her again?  I watched the ending twice and I still don't quite get it.

I am starting to find it odd how many female characters in movies are exactly like Mae Doyle (Stanwyck).  It felt like the script is a rehash of sooooooooo many similar stories - not the dialogue though, it was superb.  I can only assume it was meant to appeal to female audience members who felt trapped in lives they chose for security rather than real love and passion.  I don't even know what I am trying to say.   I think part of the problem is an overall issue with stories where the heroine falls for the wrong kind of guy.  I mean hundreds and hundreds of movies where she is going to choose the wrong guy for better or worse.  Even the ones that have happy endings you know that you could probably logically predict in reality they would not have happy endings in the long run. LOL :lol:

Another factor might be that I may have met my own Mae Doyle recently and it is driving me crazy.  I'm worried she would settle for me and I'd gladly accept that burden and torture.  :rolleyes: