Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

2 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I know, right? I've only seen a couple Alan Ladd movies, I thought he was rather handsome in this film. And I liked that he took such good care of his cat.  Ladd's short stature wouldn't bother me, everyone's taller than me... except Veronica Lake. I do have a few inches on her, so there's that.

I've always been rather partial to vertically challenged guys myself.  (however, I do not include little Hans from FREAKS, mind you.  Not that he wasn't good-looking in his own way, just incredibly bad-tempered) 

Raven did love the kitties.  I fantasize about him stroking me like that.  Gently of course.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

vv2.jpg

"Presto, chango, Alacazam!"

But now think about this choice: Robert Preston or Laird Cregar?

I'd probably have to kill myself.

• Haha 1

Looks like I'm way behind on Lake/Ladd movies. I've not seen Blue Dahlia nor Saigon. I did see THE GLASS KEY once. There's a character named Eloise Matthews which was my mother's name.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

"Presto, chango, Alacazam!"

But now think about this choice: Robert Preston or Laird Cregar?

I'd probably have to kill myself.

Hmm... That is a tough decision.  I'd probably go the "Kelly Taylor from 90210" route and say "I choose me" (and she was picking from two attractive men!).

If I had to choose... hmm... the music man or the devil? I'd maybe go with Robert Preston because I like the songs from The Music Man. Lol. 

12 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I've always been rather partial to vertically challenged guys myself.  (however, I do not include little Hans from FREAKS, mind you.  Not that he wasn't good-looking in his own way, just incredibly bad-tempered) 

Raven did love the kitties.  I fantasize about him stroking me like that.  Gently of course.

My husband is 6' so ultimately I didn't go with a small guy, but while Ladd was short, at least he wasn't scrawny.  I just can't with the small, scrawny guys. Not appealing. Even someone like Gene Kelly, who is also short, is very muscular, but I think he's very handsome. 

• Like 1

Cregar actually didn't look too bad Down There in HEAVEN CAN WAIT.  I think he wore a goatee which in Laird's case can only be considered an artistic improvement...certainly more dapper than Old Scratch from THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER.

Ye gods! Tough choices. I'll go with the anvil salesman, girly-girl.  Nah, not really.  Probably Preston as well, although in THE MUSIC MAN (one of my favorites too) he looked like Shirley's grandfather.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Cregar actually didn't look too bad Down There in HEAVEN CAN WAIT.  I think he wore a goatee which in Laird's case can only be considered an artistic improvement...certainly more dapper than Old Scratch from THE DEVIL AND DANIEL WEBSTER.

Ye gods! Tough choices. I'll go with the anvil salesman, girly-girl.  Nah, not really.  Probably Preston as well, although in THE MUSIC MAN (one of my favorites too) he looked like Shirley's grandfather.  

I know Cregar lost a bunch of weight right before his untimely death. He did look thinner in Heaven Can Wait

What I can't believe is that Cregar was only in his late 20s in This Gun For Hire and 30 in Heaven Can Wait.  I am older than him and he looks at least 15-20 years older than I do. 

7 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

My husband is 6' so ultimately I didn't go with a small guy, but while Ladd was short, at least he wasn't scrawny.  I just can't with the small, scrawny guys. Not appealing. Even someone like Gene Kelly, who is also short, is very muscular, but I think he's very handsome. 

I agree.  They have to be muscular (but not overly so) -- and good-looking.  Gene Kelly, oh YES PLEASE!!

I wouldn't say "no" to James Cagney.  Well, except in WHITE HEAT.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I agree.  They have to be muscular (but not overly so) -- and good-looking.  Gene Kelly, oh YES PLEASE!!

I wouldn't say "no" to James Cagney.  Well, except in WHITE HEAT.

James Cagney never pinged my eye candy meter, it might be because I'm not really into blonde guys, but strangely enough I would agree about him in White Heat. Though that would never happen because Cody Jarrett is bonkers. I'd probably be more apt to go off with Fallon. I thought Cagney was rocking that jacked up haircut he had in Jimmy the Gent though. Strangely enough, sometimes I find Claude Rains attractive. I think it's his voice. 

41 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I know Cregar lost a bunch of weight right before his untimely death. He did look thinner in Heaven Can Wait

What I can't believe is that Cregar was only in his late 20s in This Gun For Hire and 30 in Heaven Can Wait.  I am older than him and he looks at least 15-20 years older than I do. 

Yes, Laird really wanted to be taken seriously not just in character roles but as a romantic leading man.  I do think that was unrealistic of him.  He went on that strenuous crash diet for HANGOVER SQUARE and it killed him.  A great actor no matter what his weight was.  Look at Charles Laughton, who did go up and down appearance wise but whose talent was always intact.  That's how I feel about Cregar.  You can lose the weight but not your innate talent.

Actors always looked older back then.  Every mother and father looked like their children's grandparents.  (I'm thinking particularly of Lewis Stone as Mickey Rooney's dad in the Andy Hardy series)

• Like 1

No, she meant she WOULD say NO to Cagney in White Heat!

Stone probably WAS old enough to be Mickey's grandparent in real years........

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

James Cagney never pinged my eye candy meter, it might be because I'm not really into blonde guys, but strangely enough I would agree about him in White Heat. Though that would never happen because Cody Jarrett is bonkers. I'd probably be more apt to go off with Fallon. I thought Cagney was rocking that jacked up haircut he had in Jimmy the Gent though. Strangely enough, sometimes I find Claude Rains attractive. I think it's his voice. 

Edmund O'Brien was starting to pack on the pounds by then (another great talent, though, love him in D.O.A. but he never looked as good again as THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, lol) but I think I'd have to agree with you on preferring Fallon.  (what if Cody had one of his headaches during an intimate moment?  Eeek!)

I'm actually partial to the fair-haired ones.  Maybe because (whatever their height) they remind me of Prince Charming, lol.  (Richard Denning comes to mind.  I've always been jealous of Evelyn Ankers)

JIMMY THE GENT, sorry but no thanks, lol.  The more hair on Cagney the better as far as I'm concerned, ha!

I know what you mean about Claude.  Not so much the voice with me but just a general air of self-confidence I think.  He was better looking (even cute) when younger -- is downright handsome when we see Griffin finally revealed at the end of THE INVISIBLE MAN.  Also was rather handsome as Job in MR. SKEFFINGTON.  (Too bad Fanny didn't appreciate him.....until the end)  John Gielgud in his CR tribute said that all the girls had crushes on Claude when he was a drama teacher.  I could see that.

• Haha 1

Yeah, it's hard to believe it's the same actor in Hunchback 10 years later. He went to pot quickly......

• Like 2

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:
19 hours ago, Dr. Somnambula said:

vv2.jpg

Victor or Victoria? 

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

RP looks exactly like Marie Dressler in that picture. I wonder if it was intentional.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brrrcold said:

RP looks exactly like Marie Dressler in that picture. I wonder if it was intentional.

I think Marie looked better! :D

• Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Edmund O'Brien was starting to pack on the pounds by then (another great talent, though, love him in D.O.A. but he never looked as good again as THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME, lol) but I think I'd have to agree with you on preferring Fallon.  (what if Cody had one of his headaches during an intimate moment?  Eeek!)

I thought Edmond O'Brien was kind of cute when he was younger.  I haven't seen The Hunchback of Notre Dame yet, but I have it on my DVR.  I first saw him in a movie with Lucille Ball, A Girl a Guy and a Gob, and I could hardly believe it was the same person that I'd seen in The Barefoot Contessa. If I were Lucy, I also would have been more interested in O'Brien than George Murphy. 

I was on an Edmond O'Brien kick earlier this year, so I watched a lot of his films. I thought he was looking pretty good in The Killers, A Double Life, even White HeatBackfire, and even Another Part of the Forest (despite his mustache). 

That would be terrifying if Jarrett had a headache during an intimate moment.  Can you imagine if he summoned Ma to help him?

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, it's hard to believe it's the same actor in Hunchback 10 years later. He went to pot quickly......

I think he was a heavy drinker.  Probably smoker too.  The last decade or so of his life was very sad though. He had a very advanced form of Alzheimers and ended up having to be placed in a home.

• Sad 1

Just now, Hibi said:

I didn't know that. :(

When I'm on these actor kicks I tend to do a lot of research.  Starting as early as the 60s, O'Brien was starting to have trouble remembering his lines and had other issues that he hadn't experienced previously. I think he had to retire in the mid-70s because he just couldn't act anymore. 

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I thought Edmond O'Brien was kind of cute when he was younger.  I haven't seen The Hunchback of Notre Dame yet, but I have it on my DVR.  I first saw him in a movie with Lucille Ball, A Girl a Guy and a Gob, and I could hardly believe it was the same person that I'd seen in The Barefoot Contessa. If I were Lucy, I also would have been more interested in O'Brien than George Murphy. 

I was on an Edmond O'Brien kick earlier this year, so I watched a lot of his films. I thought he was looking pretty good in The Killers, A Double Life, even White HeatBackfire, and even Another Part of the Forest (despite his mustache). 

That would be terrifying if Jarrett had a headache during an intimate moment.  Can you imagine if he summoned Ma to help him?

First things first, YOU MUST SEE THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME RIGHT NOW!  DO YOU HEAR ME, RIGHT NOW!!!  You will be rewarded immensely!!!   

Haven't seen every Edmond O'Brien film but D.O.A.is my fave so far.  

Oh my goodness, Ma, Cody and Verna....trying to get that image out of my mind, lol.

I have a terrible confession to make:  I've always been attracted to George Murphy.

Even worse:  Rudy Vallee.

Go figure. 

• Like 1

First things first, YOU MUST SEE THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME RIGHT NOW!  DO YOU HEAR ME, RIGHT NOW!!!  You will be rewarded immensely!!!   

Haven't seen every Edmond O'Brien film but D.O.A.is my fave so far.  

Oh my goodness, Ma, Cody and Verna....trying to get that image out of my mind, lol.

I have a terrible confession to make:  I've always been attracted to George Murphy.

Even worse:  Rudy Vallee.

Go figure. 

I will watch Hunchback.  It seems like it'd be good Halloween viewing.  I saw the Disney Hunchback of Notre Dame in the 6th grade. I know the classic version will be better.

I saw DOA, the only thing I didn't like about it was the weird whistle sound every time O'Brien saw an attractive woman.  I loved loved the club he visits in that movie.

Haha. George Murphy wasn't bad. But he was no Gene Kelly.

Re: Rudy Vallee.  I know him from The Palm Beach Story.  But prior to that, I only knew him from his appearance as himself on the first episode of The Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour.  I knew his song, "Bye Bye Sweetheart," and the "My Time is Your Time" which is the song Desi Arnaz and Cesar Romero made fun of in the show. 

I always thought Bogart was kind of cute in Casablanca.  That white dinner jacket is really working for him.

• Like 1

I'll be back for replies -- watching JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS right now -- my recorder is on the fritz.

Then -- ATLANTIS, THE LOST CONTINENT.  Who can resist?

See you later guys!

4 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Edmond O%27Brien in The Hunchback of N

"So you ladies think I look better than Quasimodo, eh? Just wait until you see me bang this drum!"

"I don't want to work, I just want to bang on this drum all day."

Story of my life.  Right now in fact. I really need to be writing warehouse order picking procedures, but I'd rather discuss Edmond O'Brien and atypical eye candy.

This message board is so distracting.

• Haha 1