Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

You know who also appeals to me?  I can NEVER remember the actor's name.  Scores of films but my old Baby Boomer memory fails me -- he was in the car with Robert Cummings, SABOTEUR, telling Bob how his mother loved to dress him up in girl's clothes and had his hair in ringlets as a child.  (that said it all very chillingly about the character)  I think the guy basically played upright types but can't be sure.  Taciturn, low-key, let's just say limited range but I'm drawn to him, lol.  Had a wooden way of talking, too.

Alan Baxter?

MV5BMTZjZDQ5YmItNjlhYi00ZmNhLWI0ZDctNjA2

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, laffite said:

You all might be fascinated to know that I was once taken for Charles Bronson while sitting in a coffee shop in Columbus Circle. Please know that this is a true story because I have already posted this on the Board and I never lie twice. To be perfectly frank, I don't think a I look a bit like Mr Bronson (so you can ignore your meters now). I have been told more than once however that I resemble Captain Kangaroo (no lie). I'm not sure how the Captain does on a meter but I am not too hopeful.

Jeepers!  Charles Bronson and Captain Kangaroo -- the girls would not run away.

Yes, Lawrence!  THANK YOU!  Alan Baxter!  Now let me just say that I don't find him attractive at all in that particular role, but in stalwart parts where he's on the other side of the law.

My favorite bad guy is Tom Tyler.  Luke Plummer and the Mummy! (in fact, that's my handle on a certain classic horror film message board, lol)  He was SO good-looking. (not as Kharis, however, which is as it should be, lol)

I prefer thin-lipped men.  

49 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Speedracer, the only Wally Cox type who isn't Wally Cox -- what about John Qualen?  Scrawny of course but not without a certain everyman appeal.

I didn't know who he was, I had to google his name.  Ehhh... the receding hairline and the bulging eyes do nothing for me. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

In regard to my eye candy meter and Wally Cox, the needle fell off due to lack of activity.

Although oddly, I'd rank Wally Cox above Mickey Rooney, because Mickey Rooney is so unappealing in every way possible.

THIS. Cute child actors often grow up to be bizarre-looking adults, but Rooney.... Even allowing for the studios' power over the press, I cannot believe the moviegoing public loved him to such a degree. To say nothing of the multiple Mesdames Rooney....

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, laffite said:

You all might be fascinated to know that I was once taken for Charles Bronson while sitting in a coffee shop in Columbus Circle. Please know that this is a true story because I have already posted this on the Board and I never lie twice. To be perfectly frank, I don't think a I look a bit like Mr Bronson (so you can ignore your meters now). I have been told more than once however that I resemble Captain Kangaroo (no lie). I'm not sure how the Captain does on a meter but I am not too hopeful.

Neither Bronson nor Captain Kangaroo register on my meter at all.  Bronson, too sinewy, mean face.  Captain Kangaroo? Blech. I never watched his show, so there's no nostalgia factor either. 

34 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Lawrence A, great shot of Edmond as the poet in HUNCHBACK.  Thanks for uploading it for us.

I tell you that I have always thought Troy Donahue looked like The Creature From The Black Lagoon.

No, really.

(fish lips and just a certain hybrid marine quality.  Never more so than in MY BLOOD RUNS COLD.  Troy actually has a scene in a sea cave!)

I think Edward G Robinson also bears a passing resemblance to The Creature From the Black Lagoon.  Also, Mr. Limpet when he's a fish.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I didn't know who he was, I had to google his name.  Ehhh... the receding hairline and the bulging eyes do nothing for me. 

Plus the ever present Swedish accent!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

My favorite bad guy is Tom Tyler.  Luke Plummer and the Mummy! (in fact, that's my handle on a certain classic horror film message board, lol)  He was SO good-looking. (not as Kharis, however, which is as it should be, lol)

I prefer thin-lipped men.  

I agree about the lip thing.  I do not find Victor Mature attractive at all. There's something about his mouth ugh.  I do like his noir films though.

Speaking of noir...

ROBERT MITCHUM.

He doesn't change his acting style, and can be super hot or a super creep, that is somehow still also still attractive. I could listen to Mitchum talk all day. "Baby, I don't care."

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Plus the ever present Swedish accent!

I didn't even know about that.  I don't think that would help... Now I'm thinking of him speaking like the Swedish Chef and I know that's not right.  I'll need to see him in a movie.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

THIS. Cute child actors often grow up to be bizarre-looking adults, but Rooney.... Even allowing for the studios' power over the press, I cannot believe the moviegoing public loved him to such a degree. To say nothing of the multiple Mesdames Rooney....

I'm trying to think of a cute child actor who grew up to be a cute adult...  Maybe Ricky Nelson (if he counts, but he was a teen).  Billy Gray I don't think looked too bad.

A lot of child actors get on my nerves, so I tend to ignore them.  Only a handful prove to be funny and interesting.

19 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Jeepers!  Charles Bronson and Captain Kangaroo -- the girls would not run away.

Alas, my inner Bronson and my inner Kangaroo has not served me well. They look past that and just see ole Laffite. (sigh)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, laffite said:

Alas, my inner Bronson and my inner Kangaroo has not served me well. They look past that and just see ole Laffite. (sigh)

Maybe you can start referring to yourself as Captain Laffite Kangaroo Buchinsky, that's a pretty fancy name.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I think Edward G Robinson also bears a passing resemblance to The Creature From the Black Lagoon.  Also, Mr. Limpet when he's a fish.

I always think EGR looks like a frog (something about the chin). Or else an English bulldog.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

I always think EGR looks like a frog (something about the chin). Or else an English bulldog.

Bette Davis, in a 1971 Dick Cavett interview is asked who of all the men she'd kissed, was the worst kisser.  She declines to name names, because the gentleman is still alive... I thought I'd read somewhere that she thought EGR was a gross kisser. I am wondering if that's who she was referring to in the Cavett interview. 

• Like 2

I just read about Alan Baxter on imdb.  Interestingly it says that he essentially was Alan Ladd before Alan Ladd became popular.  I knew that's why I like him!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

James Cagney never pinged my eye candy meter, it might be because I'm not really into blonde guys, but strangely enough I would agree about him in White Heat. Though that would never happen because Cody Jarrett is bonkers. I'd probably be more apt to go off with Fallon. I thought Cagney was rocking that jacked up haircut he had in Jimmy the Gent though. Strangely enough, sometimes I find Claude Rains attractive. I think it's his voice. 

Claude Rains would probably have gone for you, Speedy. He was married six times, usually to much younger women.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, laffite said:

You gotta get an eye patch and parrot.

• Like 1

Just now, kingrat said:

Claude Rains would probably have gone for you, Speedy. He was married six times, usually to much younger women.

I don't know if *I'd* go for a man married six times! I feel like he may not be good marriage material. Since he was born 95 years before me, I've definitely got the younger woman thing down.

• Like 1

Just now, Bronxgirl48 said:

I have a parrot you can borrow! He even talks!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, kingrat said:

Boris Karloff was also married six times, one more than even Bela.

Boris looked like a mummy IRL so it doesn't surprise me how marvelously creepy he was as Ardeth Bay.  And his justly famous speaking voice was never used more effectively imo.

I gotta say it--I do NOT see what any of you find attractive in Paul Douglas. A good actor, though Elia Kazan said he thought Paul Douglas ought to be a host in a steakhouse.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Neither Bronson nor Captain Kangaroo register on my meter at all.  Bronson, too sinewy, mean face.  Captain Kangaroo? Blech. I never watched his show, so there's no nostalgia factor either. 

Okay, okay, I can take a hint.

7 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I had an eye patch and a parrot and I had to fight the ladies off my back. But when I got the peg leg, they all threw me over.

• Haha 2