Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 minute ago, kingrat said:

I gotta say it--I do NOT see what any of you find attractive in Paul Douglas. A good actor, though Elia Kazan said he thought Paul Douglas ought to be a host in a steakhouse.

A cursory search suggests a younger Pat O'Brien. (Has anyone ever admitted to finding him attractive?) Possibly a good sidekick or antagonist, but as a leading man?

15 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I agree about the lip thing.  I do not find Victor Mature attractive at all. There's something about his mouth ugh.  I do like his noir films though.

Speaking of noir...

ROBERT MITCHUM.

He doesn't change his acting style, and can be super hot or a super creep, that is somehow still also still attractive. I could listen to Mitchum talk all day. "Baby, I don't care."

I know what you mean about Victor Mature.  Blubbery type lips.  An underrated actor imo and good in the noir films.  I think my favorite is I WAKE UP SCREAMING.  (Laird as a modern urban Javert type is great)

Robert Mitchum has always creeped me out, even before I ever saw NOTH or CF.  Very fine actor, great in noir.  First time I watched HOLIDAY AFFAIR I was a bit afraid for Janet Leigh's character, lol.  

• Haha 1
Just now, Polly of the Precodes said:

A cursory search suggests a younger Pat O'Brien. (Has anyone ever admitted to finding him attractive?) Possibly a good sidekick or antagonist, but as a leading man?

Polly, I'm glad you asked this question because there is only one film where I find Pat actually sexy -- I don't remember the name but he plays a cop on the beat in New York.  The title eludes me.  

30 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I didn't know who he was, I had to google his name.  Ehhh... the receding hairline and the bulging eyes do nothing for me. 

Yeah, I know.  Just threw it out there, thinking maybe anybody but Wally Cox...

Still, there are moments in some John Ford films where Qualen doesn't look too bad, lol.  I wish however I could remember what they were.

6 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Polly, I'm glad you asked this question because there is only one film where I find Pat actually sexy -- I don't remember the name but he plays a cop on the beat in New York.  The title eludes me.  

Maybe Bureau of Missing Persons (1933)? He and Bette Davis are good in that.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I think Edward G Robinson also bears a passing resemblance to The Creature From the Black Lagoon.  Also, Mr. Limpet when he's a fish.

I can see it.

Also, Cornel Wilde, another movie heartthrob of mine (looked nothing like Chopin) always reminded me of a frog.  The eyes.  But what a build!  

• Haha 1

I like Robert Mitchum. He could play both "good guys" and "bad guys". He is one of those actors that I trust. Meaning if he's in a movie, you can trust that it's good. I even like his narration of TOMBSTONE. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I know what you mean about Victor Mature.  Blubbery type lips.  An underrated actor imo and good in the noir films.  I think my favorite is I WAKE UP SCREAMING.  (Laird as a modern urban Javert type is great)

I have always had a mancrush on Victor Mature. I can't explain it though. Did you like him in The Shanghai Gesture ? Vic with a fez.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

Maybe Bureau of Missing Persons (1933)? He and Bette Davis are good in that.

Thanks, but no, not that one.  It seemed to be around 1939-40 and the leading lady a second-string, pretty type.  New York DEAD END type setting.  There was a kid involved.  Brother of the girl.  Consarn it!

Just now, laffite said:

I have always had a mancrush on Victor Mature. I can't explain it though. Did you like him in The Shanghai Gesture ? Vic with a fez.

Hmm, don't remember Victor well in TSG.  He's really not my type physically at all although I concede the sex appeal for many women.  The only guy I can see looking attractive in a fez is Rudy Valentino.  

42 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I didn't even know about that.  I don't think that would help... Now I'm thinking of him speaking like the Swedish Chef and I know that's not right.  I'll need to see him in a movie.

THE SEARCHERS, HIS GIRL FRIDAY, OUT OF THE FOG for starters.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, laffite said:

I had an eye patch and a parrot and I had to fight the ladies off my back. But when I got the peg leg, they all threw me over.

LOL

You've got to practice the Robert Newton "Arrrrr!"  They'll come back!  Lively now!

46 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I gotta say it--I do NOT see what any of you find attractive in Paul Douglas. A good actor, though Elia Kazan said he thought Paul Douglas ought to be a host in a steakhouse.

Oh that Elia, lol.  Frankly I wouldn't trust anything old self-serving Gadge said about actors.  (he made some derogatory comments about James Cagney and I've never forgiven him)

Okay, Paul Douglas.  A certain sweet beefy charm and willingness to please.  He'd do the dishes but still be able to be a real man in every sense of that word.   And I guarantee that every woman on this board would choose him over Broderick Crawford.

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Boris Karloff was also married six times, one more than even Bela.

Boris looked like a mummy IRL so it doesn't surprise me how marvelously creepy he was as Ardeth Bay.  And his justly famous speaking voice was never used more effectively imo.

He was also great as The Grinch. I cannot hear Boris Karloff without picturing the Grinch.

2 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Most definitely!  Very distinguished yet rogue-like at the same time.  A very beguiling combination for the ladies.

Great. I think I can make a comeback. When I do the "Arrrr" I'll have to find a way to hide my snaggle teeth. I might opt for as trip to the dentist but pirates sort of frown on that.

3 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Okay, Paul Douglas.  A certain sweet beefy charm and willingness to please.  He'd do the dishes but still be able to be a real man in every sense of that word.   And I guarantee that every woman on this board would choose him over Broderick Crawford. 

How about William Bendix? He can be a little like that too ... yes?

11 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I hate hairy men.

First time I saw James Caan in his undershirt in THE GODFATHER I nearly threw up.  Those horrible shoulders were bad enough, but THE HAIR ON THOSE SHOULDERS.

YES. 

Hair on the shoulders. Gross.

Hair sticking out from the back collar of someone's shirt. Gross.

It's even worse when they're wearing those tank tops with the enormous arm holes ::Vomit::

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, laffite said:

Great. I think I can make a comeback. When I do the "Arrrr" I'll have to find a way to hide my snaggle teeth. I might opt for as trip to the dentist but pirates sort of frown on that.

How about William Bendix? He can be a little like that too ... yes?

Get a gold tooth! 

Bendix seems, I don't know... too sweaty? He's not my cup of tea, aesthetically. But he's a great actor.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

THE SEARCHERS, HIS GIRL FRIDAY, OUT OF THE FOG for starters.

I've seen His Girl Friday and Out of the Fog (watched for Garfield of course). Hmm.

41 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I can see it.

Also, Cornel Wilde, another movie heartthrob of mine (looked nothing like Chopin) always reminded me of a frog.  The eyes.  But what a build!  

I cannot help but think of Lucy Ricardo when I hear Cornel Wilde's name. She's threatening Bobby the Bellboy that she's going to tell everyone that he blabbed about who was staying in the penthouse at the hotel, unless he helps her meet Wilde.

LUCY (screaming): CORNEL WILDE IS IN THE PENTHOUSE. CORNEL WILDE...

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Robert Mitchum has always creeped me out, even before I ever saw NOTH or CF.  Very fine actor, great in noir.  First time I watched HOLIDAY AFFAIR I was a bit afraid for Janet Leigh's character, lol.  

This is messed up, but even with Mitchum playing a convicted rapist in Cape Fear, I was still thinking "man, he's pretty attractive for a creep."