Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

25 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I've seen His Girl Friday and Out of the Fog (watched for Garfield of course). Hmm.

Garfield is great in OUT OF THE FOG, isn't he?  Scary character!  As for Qualen, you know what?  I've seen a few films where he doesn't have the Scandinavian accent.  Unfortunately (as usual) I cannot remember what they are.

31 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

He was also great as The Grinch. I cannot hear Boris Karloff without picturing the Grinch.

Would you believe I've never heard Boris as The Grinch?  It's true!

Frankly I'd rather picture him as that character than the creepy mummy.  Freaks me out every time!  Great actor.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

But now think about this choice: Robert Preston or Laird Cregar?

I'd probably have to kill myself.

As serendipity would have it, I Wake Up Screaming is on Movies! right now...and Laird Cregar rather pushes my buttons. I've known for some time I like my beefcake with a nice amount of marbling, but...dang.

33 minutes ago, laffite said:

Great. I think I can make a comeback. When I do the "Arrrr" I'll have to find a way to hide my snaggle teeth. I might opt for as trip to the dentist but pirates sort of frown on that.

How about William Bendix? He can be a little like that too ... yes?

You've got Ygor teeth?  "They die DEAD -- I die -- LIVE!"  Modern dentistry can fix these little problems, lol.  You just have to work up the courage to actually make an appointment.

Bendix (btw, he and Alan Ladd were great friends IRL! Alan always tried to include him in his films) was a fine character actor but zero romantic appeal.  However I can see where you might think of the comparison to Paul Douglas -- both beefy, ungainly types that women wouldn't automatically be drawn to, but I do think Douglas had some charm on screen whereas William Bendix came across as sort of thuggish even if the character wasn't.

13 minutes ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

As serendipity would have it, I Wake Up Screaming is on Movies! right now...and Laird Cregar rather pushes my buttons. I've known for some time I like my beefcake with a nice amount of marbling, but...dang.

Check Laird out as a French-Canadian fur trapper (he co-stars with Paul Muni) in HUDSON'S BAY.  Lots of avoirdupois in that one. 

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

This is messed up, but even with Mitchum playing a convicted rapist in Cape Fear, I was still thinking "man, he's pretty attractive for a creep."

I think I'd rather have Gregory Peck, lol.

Because even when Peck plays bad boys, there's still something sweet shining through....

Well okay maybe not in THE BOYS FROM BRAZIL.

• Haha 1
59 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

YES. 

Hair on the shoulders. Gross.

Hair sticking out from the back collar of someone's shirt. Gross.

It's even worse when they're wearing those tank tops with the enormous arm holes ::Vomit::

Disgusting, isn't it?

Have you ever seen Wallace Ford in an undershirt?  Wonderful character actor but has the screen's worst ARMPITS.  Sad but true.

• Haha 2
59 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I cannot help but think of Lucy Ricardo when I hear Cornel Wilde's name. She's threatening Bobby the Bellboy that she's going to tell everyone that he blabbed about who was staying in the penthouse at the hotel, unless he helps her meet Wilde.

LUCY (screaming): CORNEL WILDE IS IN THE PENTHOUSE. CORNEL WILDE...

LOL  oh my gosh I've never seen that episode!  Wonder if it's on YouTube. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Disgusting, isn't it?

Have you ever seen Wallace Ford in an undershirt?  Wonderful character actor but has the screen's worst ARMPITS.  Sad but true.

The quality of hirsuteness is certainly taking a hit insofar as being manly goes. No one seems Fonda it.

;);)

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, laffite said:

The quality of hirsuteness is certainly taking a hit insofar as being manly goes. No one seems Fonda it.

;);)

LOL  Thanks for the plug!

(btw, Henry's great pal Jimmy Stewart also had some serious werewolf hands)  And blubbery lips.

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

LOL  Thanks for the plug!

(btw, Henry's great pal Jimmy Stewart also had some serious werewolf hands)  And blubbery lips.

The King of Blubbery Lips must be none other that Charles Laughton, and he has those lovely Sleepy Eyes to go with it.

40 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

LOL  oh my gosh I've never seen that episode!  Wonder if it's on YouTube. 

I can tell you that it's NOT on Hulu. 

That episode is hilarious. It's from the episode called "The Star Upstairs." There is also a hilarious scene with Ethel trying to distract Ricky from seeing Lucy outside the window. 

37 minutes ago, kingrat said:

I can see I need to keep my shirt on around this crowd. Now back in the 1970s hirsuteness was considered desirable and sexy. In men, that is. 

Oh, I don't know. I had a girlfriend once who had a nice mustache.

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

laffite, your adorable personality is enough, I don't need a photo ;)

Do you like blind dates? Careful, now. I went to a costume party as Quasimodo and no one could tell the difference. Maybe you should get that photo, after all ;) .

But thanks, friend ... you are a sayer of kind things ...

//

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Hmm, don't remember Victor well in TSG.  He's really not my type physically at all although I concede the sex appeal for many women.  The only guy I can see looking attractive in a fez is Rudy Valentino.  

BJjHaGqu4DjAx8OAdysUPv3OT_u6cbElTiPMrWl7GbI7oKdFalH2IIlS_5bJmr6y4Qg1thOVrBtJZWDNrKGtkw_wT9Sr5La9tL7eEyB-HJ__mhU=s0-d

He looks particularly sleazy in a fez, no?

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, laffite said:

Yea I'm wondering (indelicately) about the ages of the complainers.

Got me thinking about how, the defenders of the comic book based films, were taking great umbrage over the complaints about superhero films/animation features and the predominance of the "man boy" fashion look and it's "giant toddler" appellation. Bill Maher did a piece on it telling them to grow up, somebody posted that in another thread. lol. 

The reason I ask is because going along with that giant toddler look has also been the trend of men and women shaving their p*u*b*e*s. Does everyone want to look like prepubescent children when naked now too? Makes you ponder the state of the US, what kind of strange national mania is it portending? 😎 

13 hours ago, Polly of the Precodes said:

I saw that this weekend at Noir City DC! With an introduction by Eddie Muller himself.

Wow,  what an experience.    This late-cycle noir is interesting due to the casting of Duryea and Vickers.    Yea, Mansfield was inexperience and clearly needs acting lessons,,,  and some of the direction is rather forced (i.e. trying to scream,,, this is how noir is done,  being late in the cycle,,, but overall worth seeing.

Would love to know what Eddie said about the film.