Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Joanne Dru was attracted to Broderick Crawford's Willie Stark in ALL THE KING'S MEN.  Just goes to show you that power is the ultimate aphrodisiac.

The screenplay is the ultimate aphrodisiac. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It takes a bit more....

Like Tony Montana said.......

"First you get the power, then when you get the power,you get the money.  THEN when you get the money, THEN you get the wimmin."    ;) 

Sepiatone

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, kingrat said:

I can see I need to keep my shirt on around this crowd. Now back in the 1970s hirsuteness was considered desirable and sexy. In men, that is.

Well all men are hairy to a certain extent. Some more than others.....

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hibi said:

Well all men are hairy to a certain extent. Some more than others.....

Not at all.   I have zero hair expect on my head,  a little under the arms,  and of course a little in the private-place.

Otherwise zero leg, arm, chest, facial,,,, hair and have the soft skin of a baby (no lie).

This is true for many of us half-Japanese folks in my family.    

My wife loves this,  but being Italian,,, well she has more hair on her arm than my entire body!

(oh, and I have never had to shave,  except,  above the lip, about once a week or so).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Oh that Elia, lol.  Frankly I wouldn't trust anything old self-serving Gadge said about actors.  (he made some derogatory comments about James Cagney and I've never forgiven him)

Okay, Paul Douglas.  A certain sweet beefy charm and willingness to please.  He'd do the dishes but still be able to be a real man in every sense of that word.   And I guarantee that every woman on this board would choose him over Broderick Crawford.

Absolutely. Paul Douglas,  I think you've summed him up perfectly. ( must be the Bronx in us) ;)

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea I'm wondering (indelicately) about the ages of the complainers.

Got me thinking about how, the defenders of the comic book based films, were taking great umbrage over the complaints about superhero films/animation features and the predominance of the "man boy" fashion look and it's "giant toddler" appellation. Bill Maher did a piece on it telling them to grow up, somebody posted that in another thread. lol. 

The reason I ask is because going along with that giant toddler look has also been the trend of men and women shaving their p*u*b*e*s. Does everyone want to look like prepubescent children when naked now too? Makes you ponder the state of the US, what kind of strange national mania is it portending? 😎 

I'm 35.  I'm not into men that look (but more importantly act) like frat bruhs, children, or overly macho (to the point when they're worried that any little thing will make them look effeminate. These men also typically walk with their arms bent at the hips). I also thought Bill Maher's inference that people who liked superhero movies were not grown up was absurd.  You can watch any type of movie and still be a grown up. My husband and I go see the new Pixar movies and like to visit Disneyland, we're not any less grown up than any other people our age.  

I don't need to know about people's personal grooming habits when it comes to their nether regions. I don't want this thread to get rated. I think that look is odd. But to each his (or her) own.

I am not advocating for hairless men that would also be weird. Super hairy men are not for me.  If I can see more hair than skin, then ugh. On the flip side, I am also not into those guys who are overly manicured (I think the term is "metrosexual").  My husband has a full head of hair and a goatee and awesome sideburns (that rival Luke Perry's on 90210).  I would hate it though if he had a full face lumberjack beard... or on the flipside, one of those awful mustaches that the hipsters put wax on the ends to make it stick out.  It looks ridiculous.  I keep seeing a lot of younger men with baby faces but giant mustaches. Looks like a 70s porn-star mustache. On that particular guy, it looks dumb. 

I can't explain what and how I find things attractive, but I do. The heart wants what it wants. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm ok with hair in the usual places on men, but find shoulder and back hair a turn off. Yuck. I saw on grommet they sell back shavers! LOL. I also dont care much for facial hair. Moustaches are ok, but not fond of beards.  Don't care for long hair on men either. Nothing political about it, I just like clean cut types. For what it's worth.......

I especially don't like grey staches or beards! Use Just for Men!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hibi said:

I'm ok with hair in the usual places on men, but find shoulder and back hair a turn off. Yuck. I saw on grommet they sell back shavers! LOL. I also dont care much for facial hair. Moustaches are ok, but not fond of beards.  Don't care for long hair on men either. Nothing political about it, I just like clean cut types. For what it's worth.......

I also do not like long hair, especially when it's thin and stringy! Or when it's dirty! Greasy hair is so gross on men and women.

Unfortunately in Portland, the "man bun" seems to be popular with the stringy and greasy type. 

Facial hair works on the right face.  I hate the trend of the mustache with the skinny line of hair then trailing down and outlining the jawline. It just screams high maintenance. 

Mustaches look good on the right person.  My dad has had a mustache my entire life.  I saw his senior portrait and he didn't have a mustache and it was weird. 

Someone like William Powell needs a mustache.  He does not look good without it.

I don't like beards, especially the ones that seem to engulf the wearer's entire face, because they always have food and crap stuck in them.  They just don't look clean.  Kissing someone like that would be like kissing a brillo pad.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I agree. It depends on the person. Some men look good with facial hair, others don't. But regardless I'm not into beards unless they are trimmed short. Duck Dynasty types are GROSS! And like you I don't like those outline type beards around the jawline. Yeah, I've been seeing man buns a lot lately on younger guys......

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, I agree. It depends on the person. Some men look good with facial hair, others don't. But regardless I'm not into beards unless they are trimmed short. Duck Dynasty types are GROSS! And like you I don't like those outline type beards around the jawline. Yeah, I've been seeing man buns a lot lately on younger guys......

I've never watched Duck Dynasty (I can't with those shows), but I know what you're talking about and I agree.

The man bun always just looks like this sad dirty, greasy blob on top of of the wearer's head. I always want to chop it off. If the guy wants to have long hair, do something to it to make it look intentional--not like you just haven't gotten around to cutting your hair. At least wash it! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As for a hair raising film Eddie has one for Noir Alley (yea,  this thread),  this Saturday;   Force of Evil.

Staring John Garfield,  I find this his most complete and 'true' noir film.    Hard,  dark,  and with a solid,  faithful ending.     There are also family dynamics which for me are always of interested as it relates to the noir protagonist  (ok not at the level of, say, House of Stranger but still compelling).

Sound supporting cast of Beatrice Pearson,  Thomas Gomez (as Garfield's brother), and noir dame Maria Windsor (in a minor role).

Directed by Abraham Polonsky who wrote the screenplay for the Garfield film Body and Soul.

If you haven't seen it and you like noir,   it is a must.    If you have seen it,,, well,,   checkout what Eddie has to say.  I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I've never watched Duck Dynasty (I can't with those shows), but I know what you're talking about and I agree.

The man bun always just looks like this sad dirty, greasy blob on top of of the wearer's head. I always want to chop it off. If the guy wants to have long hair, do something to it to make it look intentional--not like you just haven't gotten around to cutting your hair. At least wash it! 

LOL!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I also thought Bill Maher's inference that people who liked superhero movies were not grown up was absurd.  You can watch any type of movie and still be a grown up. My husband and I go see the new Pixar movies and like to visit Disneyland, we're not any less grown up than any other people our age.

He was probably referring to those who are particularly drawn to those type movies. Even then, being primarily a comedian, how serious is he about this or anything else? But I am no expert on this or anything else, especially along this strain of moviedom because I don't even know what a Pixar movie is. It could be a Tinker Bell movie for all I know. :o

3 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

As for a hair raising film Eddie has one for Noir Alley (yea,  this thread),  this Saturday;   Force of Evil.

Is this the one with the fishing boat? If so, excellent. His best ... maybe. Very mature performance.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I also do not like long hair, especially when it's thin and stringy! Or when it's dirty! Greasy hair is so gross on men and women.

Unfortunately in Portland, the "man bun" seems to be popular with the stringy and greasy type. 

Facial hair works on the right face.  I hate the trend of the mustache with the skinny line of hair then trailing down and outlining the jawline. It just screams high maintenance. 

Mustaches look good on the right person.  My dad has had a mustache my entire life.  I saw his senior portrait and he didn't have a mustache and it was weird. 

Someone like William Powell needs a mustache.  He does not look good without it.

I don't like beards, especially the ones that seem to engulf the wearer's entire face, because they always have food and crap stuck in them.  They just don't look clean.  Kissing someone like that would be like kissing a brillo pad.

 

That last paragraph is so true. I don't care for beards either. LOL ABOUT THE BRILLO PAD

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, laffite said:

He was probably referring to those who are particularly drawn to those type movies. Even then, being primarily a comedian, how serious is he about this or anything else? But I am no expert on this or anything else, especially along this strain of moviedom because I don't even know what a Pixar movie is. It could be a Tinker Bell movie for all I know. :o

Is this the one with the fishing boat? If so, excellent. His best ... maybe. Very mature performance.

Pixar is part of Disney, they make excellent CGI-animated films. 

I would not see a Tinkerbell movie, except for the original Peter Pan.  Tinkerbell isn't among my favorite Disney characters, she isn't even my favorite character from Peter Pan!

My husband and I did see The Spongebob SquarePants Movie on our first date (though we'd already known each other for 5 years at that point), so I don't know what that says about us. But we are most definitely grown ups.

Force of Evil features Garfield as a lawyer who gets involved in a numbers racket.  I think the fishing boat film that you're thinking of is Out of the Fog

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Or The Breaking Point.

I assume The Breaking Point since this film was done over a decade after Out of the Fog and contains a very mature Garfield performance.    

I still find Force of Evil to be a more complete and true noir film,  with The Breaking Point a hair or two 'behind'. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, Force of Evil is a good film.  Haven't seen it in awhile, looking forward to seeing it again.

I really liked this movie when I saw it.  John Garfield was excellent per usual and I always like movies that feature these complex gambling operations. 

It makes me sad that Garfield died at such a young age. 

I'm really looking forward to Body and Soul in January.  I haven't seen that Garfield film.  I love Garfield and I love boxing movies.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I forgot about that one.  Which is ridiculous. I own The Breaking Point, I do not own Out of the Fog

Out of the Fog is a fine film (1941) with Garfield just really getting his screen-persona 'down'.    I find that he over-does-it a little as the sociopath hood.  I.e. if he had done the film a few years later,  I assume he would have provided a more 'internalized' performance (e.g.  creation of fear from just a look,  a nod of the head,,,).

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone see or like Terminal, a 2018 neo-noir spoof, made in England (I think, though that torrid blonde is an Australian actress). I enjoyed it well enough. I have a theory of criticism, that if a movie succeeds grandly on a spoofy entertainment level, serious criticism might be tempered a bit lest it seem overly heavy-handed. Let's not kick the dead horse when said dead horse is amusing (sorry, horses). The plot is lame, so they say, but noir plots are sometime that way or at least take a back to atmosphere and to other joys of noir. This is one is understandable enough though it lacks a certain foundation. We know what's going on but we have to wait until the last 10 minutes to have the dots all connected. Which doesn't really matter since setting, dialogue, and acting are all is good enough to keep us (me) going. One "critic" decried the bits between the waitress and the English teacher, but that might be my fave sequences of all. The nasty bickering between the two hit men is a hoot. Slick dialogue all around, although this was criticized by one as "lame." I'm easy. The exaggerated noir special effects are great in themselves. Maybe I'm wallowing in the mire  here, maybe I have indulged in a little guilty pleasure, but I still have a feeling the movie is a  better than it gets credit for. How do these latter-day noir spoofies rate on the meter here on the Noir Thread? Valid entertainment or dark nothings.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Absolutely. Paul Douglas,  I think you've summed him up perfectly. ( must be the Bronx in us) ;)

Thank you my fellow Bronxite!  The Bronx In Us -- that's the follow up to the 1935 The Irish In Us with James Cagney, Pat O'Brien and Frank McHugh, lol.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, laffite said:

The King of Blubbery Lips must be none other that Charles Laughton, and he has those lovely Sleepy Eyes to go with it.

Poor Charles.  I read a quote from him:  "I've got a face that would stop a clock"

But one of the world's greatest actors.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...