Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

While I like Criss Cross and have seen it before, I don't rate it as highly as Eddie. It's just too slow getting started. I enjoyed the scenes filmed in Los Angeles old Bunker Hill and the photography.

• Like 1

I love Criss Cross.  I just saw it for the first time a few months ago when I was on a mini-Burt Lancaster kick.  I think I've seen it three times since.  This is such a fantastic film.  I found the ending as shocking as Sorry, Wrong Number when I saw it the first time.  Even on subsequent viewings, while I know what's coming, it is still such a horrific ending for that era of Hollywood.

My favorite part of Criss Cross is the heist.  The bleakness of the smoke, obscuring the background, is such an interesting visual--something not seen in many 1940s films. Add in characters wearing gas masks and it is such a weird scene, but also fascinating. 

This was the first film I'd seen with Yvonne DeCarlo too.  Previously, I'd only known her as Lily Munster and mentioned on I Love Lucy as one of Ricky Ricardo's potential co-stars in his Don Juan vehicle. 

23 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Of course it was Tony Curtis as her dance partner.

Naming 5 favorite noirs is impossible. Just off the top of my head  these are some favs  but I could list many more. 

Out of the Past

Laura

Double Indemnity

The Killers

Nightmare Alley

Dark Passage

The Killing

On Dangerous Ground

Sudden Fear

The Asphalt Jungle

Tension

You're right. It's hard to limit one's list to five.  Thanks for your list. My goal was to find film noirs that I've missed. I'm going to look for Sudden Fear and Tension since I have not seen either of them.

Speaking of Yvonne, I hated her lightened hair in the film (at least in the front). I don't know if that was done for the film or she was just wearing it that way around that time. She was such a striking brunette.

1 minute ago, Hibi said:

Speaking of Yvonne, I hated her lightened hair in the film (at least in the front). I don't know if that was done for the film or she was just wearing it that way around that time. She was such a striking brunette.

Image result for yvonne de carlo criss cross

It almost looks like it was only lightened in the front-- not all over.  Was that a style in the 40s? In Easter Parade, during her "Shakin' the Blues Away" dance number, Ann Miller has her normal dark brown hair, but then she has a big chunk of auburn hair-- I thought it was just a bad fall. 

1 minute ago, speedracer5 said:

Image result for yvonne de carlo criss cross

It almost looks like it was only lightened in the front-- not all over.  Was that a style in the 40s? In Easter Parade, during her "Shakin' the Blues Away" dance number, Ann Miller has her normal dark brown hair, but then she has a big chunk of auburn hair-- I thought it was just a bad fall. 

Well at least it wasn't "lightened in the front" like this:

Image result for yvonne de carlo

On 12/15/2019 at 9:57 AM, Hoganman1 said:

Yes, CRISS CROSS was very entertaining. It was my first time seeing the film. Though it didn't make my top five favorites, all my favorite elements except the hard boiled detective were there.

Which brings me to another question. I'm sure this has been done many times before (maybe even by me; I forget), but I'd like to know everyone's top five noirs. Mine are THE MALTESE FALCON. DOUBLE INDEMNITY, LAURA, DARK PASSAGE and OUT OF THE PAST. 

Also, I mentioned to my wife while we were watching that DeCarlo's dance partner looked a lot like Tony Curtiss.

Favorite Noir.  Not sure if I can narrow it down to 5, I'll try.  I'll base it on re-watches.

1. Double Indemnity

2.  Nightmare Alley

3. Laura

4. The Letter

5. Dark Passage

OTHERS:

In a Lonely Place

Scarlet Street

They Live By Night

The Big Heat

Murder My Sweet

Tension

Jeopardy

The Maltese Falcon

The Set-Up

Out of the Past

Sorry, Wrong Number

Lured

Gun Crazy

Pushover

The Postman Always Rings Twice

Criss Cross

Cry Danger

The Locket

-- I should probably stop.  I think I'll just end up listing everything that's ever aired on Noir Alley.

• Haha 1
On 12/15/2019 at 2:05 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Of course it was Tony Curtis as her dance partner.

Naming 5 favorite noirs is impossible. Just off the top of my head  these are some favs  but I could list many more. 

Out of the Past

Laura

Double Indemnity

The Killers

Nightmare Alley

Dark Passage

The Killing

On Dangerous Ground

Sudden Fear

The Asphalt Jungle

Tension

I thought it was Curtis but wasnt sure until Eddie mentioned it at the end.

And speakin' of Bernie Schwartz...

From the first time I watched Criss Cross a few years back and found that the scene of him dancing with Yvonne was his very first film appearance , I've wondered if the punchline of the story that Tony told on Letterman's show many years ago might have come about during the filming of this movie. Considering the time frame involved, I'd guess that it was.

Anyone remember that story? Well, I do, and while its certainly wasn't very gentlemanly of Tony to tell it to a national TV audience, it STILL is one of the funniest stories about Hollywood celebs I've ever heard, and being the ham that Tony was, he also told it very well too.

(...btw, it's on YouTube for anyone inquisitive about it...however YouTube has placed some sort of inhibiter on posting it elsewhere and so I couldn't post it here)

Some of  my Favorite Noirs  alphabetically (some of the obvious ones I've left out since they always get named)....

Ace In The Hole (Big Carnival (The)) (1951)

Act Of Violence (1948)

Amazing Mr. X (The) (The Spiritualist) (1948)

Appointment With Danger (1951)

Armored Car Robbery (1950)

Asphalt Jungle (The) (1950)

Big Heat (The) (1953)

Christmas Holiday (1944)

Crime Wave (1954)

Criss Cross (1949)

Crooked Way (The) (1949)

Cry Danger (1951)

Cry Of The City (1948)

Dark Corner (The) (1945)

Death In Small Doses (1957)

Desperate (1947)

Devil Thumb's a Ride (The) (1947)

Detour (1945)

D.O.A. (1950)

Girl On The Run (1953)

Hell Bound (1957)

Hell's Half Acre (1954)

I Wake Up Screaming (1942)

Journey Into Fear (1943)

Killers (The) (1946)

Killer's Kiss (1955)

Killer That Stalked New York (1951)

Killing (The) (1956)

Kiss Me Deadly (1955)

Kiss of Death (1947)

Lineup (The) (1958)

Mystery Street (1950)

Naked Alibi (1954)

Naked City (The) (1948)

Narrow Margin (The) (1952)

Niagara (1953)

Night And The City (1950)

Nightfall (1957)

Odds Against Tomorrow (1959)

Out Of The Past (1947)

Panic In The Streets (1950)

Pickup on South Street (1953)

Raw Deal (1948)

Red Light (1949)

Ride The Pink Horse (1947)

Roadbock (1951)

Set-Up (The) (1949)

711 Ocean Drive (1950)

Shield For Murder (1954)

Side Street (1949)

Slightly Scarlet (1956)

Strange Love of Martha Ivers (1946)

Sunset Boulevard (1950)

T-Men (1947)

Tattooed Stranger (The) (1950)

Tension (1949)

Touch Of Evil (1958)

Trapped (1949)

Turning Point (The) (1952)

Two Men In Manhattan (Deux Hommes Dans Manhattan) (1959)

Union Station (1950)

Where The Sidewalk Ends (1950)

Window (The) (1949)

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Some that haven;t been mentioned that are also my favorites are

Nowhere To Go

Brighton Rock

Rififi

The Long Haul

Breathless

Diabolique 

What lavender. Your mind all of a sudden go "international" on ya here or somethin'??? ;)

(...I like these picks too, btw)

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Dargo said:

What lavender. Your mind all of a sudden go "international" on ya here or somethin'??? ;)

(...I like these picks too, btw)

Thanks glad you also like those films.  There's another 2 that I'm not quite sure if considered noirs but I think they could be  -

Five Miles To Midnight. Sophia Loren and Anthony Perkins and Chase A Crooked  Shadow - Anne Baxter and Richard Todd

l71FAJr.jpg

I’m so worried about you. I’m sick inside, if only it were only tomorrow at this time. Never mind, just meet me tomorrow at Palis Verdez. She walks in “the old place” and down those few stairs, oh that music. There she is, Mr Dundee? Where have you been? Outside, in the parking lot. Can’t you get the waiter to do all that? Leave me alone. What are you getting an earful about? Just standing here, boss. Get out of here. Yes, Mr Dundee. Thank you, Mr Dundee. This rotten kind of work, the rotten people you have to work with. Friend Pete stops Steve on the way in. This way isn’t for you, Steve. Turn around and work out. You weren’t invited. The way you know everything, leave me alone. It ain’t for you, I tell ya. Yeah, tell me, the way you got it all figured out, bah. Steve jostles through the crowd. He opens the door just as the music number ends. Clapping subsides. Then taut silence. Take the girls to the powder room, Harriet. Hello Stevie, glad you were able to make it. An Eve Arden lookalike but without the quips on the end bar stool is afraid of trouble. I don’t butt in, says the bartender. Hey, Pete, I thought Steve was a friend of yours. To hell with it, I give it up. The waiter in Pete’s ear, he’s gotta knife, that Dundee, here’s your chance. That music still going in the background. All that energy it creates. Pete jostles through the crown, suddenly a crash of glass. Hurrying now, opens the door, the knife clatters to the floor. Just a friendly argument, Lieutenant, just goofin’ around. It’s between him and me, Lieutenant, I ain’t swearin’ no complaint. No? What a chump. The Italian gives a pep talk in the washroom, a real peacemaker. Slim, let bygones be bygones, all that money in that truck. Hey, it’s better this way says another, that copper will never believe you two in a deal together. A chance of a lifetime, Slim, make it up. Okay, I went off my head in there. From Steve, don’t worry, I’ll get rid of the extra man, I’ll be doin’ the drivin’.

All that takes about 10 minutes, seamless sequences. A great beginning, exhilarating even. Things slow down as Steve gets his old job back. 289 out of 300, wow, some shooter. Old man Wilson is right though, the phone call is dangerous. Once the guy finds out that his wife is not sick, he’ll know something, And it’s a 40-minute run. But nothing comes of it.

Still hyperventilating after the opening, we get Yvonne doing the rumba. Eddie made a big deal of this and rightly so. I watched it at least six times. Steve watches her with a long face. He doesn’t really want to see her. Yeah, right. They meet and spar for a moment, he is good at affecting a certain nonchalance about it. Excuse me, you’re sitting in my chair. It’s Dundee. Steve slips away. But he’s got a date with her later and W T F. She went to Yuma and married Dundee.

Pa2KfKw.jpg

A few months. If only the cigarette seller hadn’t lowered his head at that moment. But there she was. Then they have a moment and she shows him the scars. They collude. Slim finds out and pays a visit. No indication that Steve is any kind of criminal. Does he fear for his life getting caught in his undershirt hosting Mrs Dundee? Pretty extravagant to get out of fear by suggesting a heist. You need an inside man. Duryea has a great moment sitting in the chair with the boys all around, acting like the Godfather and with a demeanor to match.   A good moment for Dan. He has others tool

I might have thought that Anna would collude with Slim to lure Steve into the plan. Steve would agree in order to get Anna back. The idea being to betray Steve. But the story didn’t go that way.

The heist is a mess but somehow a success. Anna was chosen to temporarily hold the dough. This was key to the plan but Steve and Anna didn’t have to scheme for it, it seems to happen by chance. Does that make it look contrived? Steve is in traction but is dismantled (Ouch!) by a creepy guy who succumbs to a Steve’s bribe and takes him to Anna. Anna takes one look at Steve who is no condition to flee, but flee they must as Slim is nearly upon them. She decides to leave him there. If Steve were not banged up would they leave together. If yes, then Anne tirade (which Eddie overpraises) is not so much femme fateale as it is simple survival. She’s being a bad girl, make no mistake … but it lacks the true perfidy of a true fatale.

Steve can be pretty tough but inside he is kind of a sap. Not too bright. Everybody tries to tell him what to do. Even mom. You all got it all figured out is Burt’s signature tune and he’s good. I have mixed feelings about Yvonne. Is she just too glamorously beautiful, too exotic looking, too high classy looking, lacking the nasty edge of a femme fatale tirade? I think so. But she acquits herself well enough in the general sense and she is likeable (actress, and character too, I think) and she does a fine rumba. Eddie justifies her in the role because after all he says that was kind of life Yvonne really lived. That’s fine, but most of us don’t know that and therefore cannot appreciate it and besides, it’s besides the point. Eddie is too extravagant in singing her praises but she is an awful good watch in this nonetheless.

Really enjoyed this movie. That first 10 minutes are fantastic.

//

• Like 3
19 minutes ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Dargo, years ago, if you remember, I recommended Raw Deal to you. I love the look of Raw Deal, best cinematography I thought in a noir. I also love the look of Nightfall and On Dangerous Ground. Love the transition from city to the desolate, cold, snowy country atmosphere

Yeah, I remember lavender, and also remember liking Raw Deal a lot too when I got around to watching it. The final scene with Dennis O'Keefe and Marsha Hunt is especially memorable. O'Keefe almost seems to be a forgotten actor now days, doesn't he.  

I know On Dangerous Ground was shown fairly recently on Noir Alley and also watched it for maybe the third time then. 

Not sure if Eddie has presented Nightfall yet, but after reading this Aldo Ray-starring film's synopsis on Wiki, I know I've seen it in the past, but it's been so long ago that I really can't remember that much about it.

Yes, exactly, those last scenes in Raw Deal were memorable and had the best noir look to them and Raymond Burr was as violently psychotic as Lee Marvin was in The Big Heat LOL

Another one that hasn't been mentioned on these lists so far is 99 River Street. Thought John Payne and Evelyn Keyes did such a good job in this one.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Not sure if Eddie has presented Nightfall yet, but after reading this Aldo Ray-starring film's synopsis on Wiki, I know I've seen it in the past, but it's been so long ago that I really can't remember that much about it.

It would be great if Eddie feature Nightfall,  a late in the cycle,  1957,   noir.     Get-TV used to show this a lot (and now THIS-TV does),  so I've seen it many times in the last few years.  But I would like to see what Eddie has to say about it and, of course,  to see it without interruptions.

Ann Bancroft is very good as a model and the supporting case of James Gregory,  Brian Keith and Rudy Bond,  in a mode similar to Marvin,  as Red,  are solid.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

It would be great if Eddie feature Nightfall,  a late in the cycle,  1957,   noir.     Get-TV used to show this a lot (and now ME-TV does), 

ME-TV doesn't show movies other than on Svengoolie. Maybe you meant This TV? They show a lot of Columbia movies.

I have Nightfall on a Columbia Noir DVD set with Human DesireThe Brothers RicoCity of Fear, and Pushover.

• Like 1
Just now, LawrenceA said:

ME-TV doesn't show movies other than on Svengoolie. Maybe you meant This TV? They show a lot of Columbia movies.

I have Nightfall on a Columbia Noir DVD set with Human DesireThe Brothers RicoCity of Fear, and Pushover.

You're correct.   My cable package doesn't offer  Get-TV anymore but I do get This-TV and yea,  that is the station that shows those Columbia movies.

Thanks

6 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

You're correct.   My cable package doesn't offer  Get-TV anymore but I do get This-TV and yea,  that is the station that shows those Columbia movies.

Thanks

So, GET THIS folks! James doesn't get Get-TV anymore, he gets This-TV now!

(...I know I know...now that I've typed that out, this doesn't sound nearly as funny as I first thought it would)

1 hour ago, lavenderblue19 said:

Thanks glad you also like those films.  There's another 2 that I'm not quite sure if considered noirs but I think they could be  -

Five Miles To Midnight. Sophia Loren and Anthony Perkins and Chase A Crooked  Shadow - Anne Baxter and Richard Todd

I've seen Five Miles To Midnight I agree it's hard to  place, It's got the visual style for sure, but I'd really have to give it another look see.  I haven't seen Chase A Crooked  Shadow

24 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

I've seen Five Miles To Midnight I agree it's hard to  place, It's got the visual style for sure, but I'd really have to give it another look see.  I haven't seen Chase A Crooked  Shadow

Yes, exactly about Five Miles To Midnight, it does have the look that's why I mentioned it and I do like the film.  Sophia and Anthony Perkins were great in it  . Chase A Crooked Shadow has been shown on TCM, just not in a long time.

Another we haven't mentioned is The Unsuspected. The cast is great and many of the scenes have that great look.  Always liked The Unsuspected very much.

• Like 1