Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

July is interesting I don't believe I've seen  The Sign of the Ram (1948),  Bodyguard (1948), or  
Jul 18 - Three Strangers (1946).
 

Of all on the list for the coming months, I look most forward to the latter above mentioned. I have seen it but it is a bit foggy. A Greenstreet-Lorre vehicle with an interesting premise (that needs not necessarily be said here).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2020 at 4:39 PM, Hibi said:

No problem! I know how frustrating that can be. Happens to me sometimes.

Happens to me more than I'd care to admit, lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

I wonder if the repeat of The Breaking Point will literally be just a repeat or if Eddie has filmed a different intro for it.

I honestly wouldn't mind if they added some repeats of the series.  I missed a bunch of the films during the early days of Noir Alley when it was only once a week at 7am on Sunday!

I wonder if those films selected for repeats are based on viewer feedback, Eddie Muller's own preferences or just a programming decision made to fill in a gap in the schedule. It's interesting that The Breaking Point is one of the few repeats inasmuch as I probably like that film more than 99% of the other Film Alley offerings.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/14/2020 at 4:36 AM, cigarjoe said:

July is interesting I don't believe I've seen  The Sign of the Ram (1948),  Bodyguard (1948), or  
Jul 18 - Three Strangers (1946).
 

I really like Three Strangers. For most of the movie you can't quite decide what sort of person the Geraldine Fitzgerald character is, and this works well for me. Jean Negulesco fought to have Geraldine Fitzgerald in the lead role and Peter Lorre cast against type. John Huston wrote the script, and he did not like what Negulesco did with it. But I do. Negulesco's black & white films are all worth seeing.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those counting the days until Noir Alley returns, only one more weekend of Oscar films left!

I noticed an interesting article on TCM’s web site announcing a ‘crossover’ between Noir Alley and TCM Imports on March 21 and 22, when international Noir films will be shown.  The lineup for that weekend is scheduled to be:

Mar 21 12 am ET - Elevator to the Gallows (France, 1958) (Noir Alley)
Mar 22 10 am ET - Elevator to the Gallows (1958) (Noir Alley repeat)
Mar 22 2 am ET - Death of a Cyclist (Spain, 1958) (TCM Imports film 1)
Mar 22 3:45 am ET - Pale Flower (Japan, 1964) (TCM Imports film 2)

You can read more about these films in TCM’s article at

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1559145|0/Noir-Alley-in-March.html

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with the rest of you. I cannot wait until Noir Alley returns. I've recorded a few of the noirs they've shown on MOVIES, but I miss Eddie.  Also, the line-up through July looks good. I haven't seen many of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

For those counting the days until Noir Alley returns, only one more weekend of Oscar films left!

I noticed an interesting article on TCM’s web site announcing a ‘crossover’ between Noir Alley and TCM Imports on March 21 and 22, when international Noir films will be shown.  The lineup for that weekend is scheduled to be:

Mar 21 12 am ET - Elevator to the Gallows (France, 1958) (Noir Alley)
Mar 22 10 am ET - Elevator to the Gallows (1958) (Noir Alley repeat)
Mar 22 2 am ET - Death of a Cyclist (Spain, 1958) (TCM Imports film 1)
Mar 22 3:45 am ET - Pale Flower (Japan, 1964) (TCM Imports film 2)

You can read more about these films in TCM’s article at

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/1559145|0/Noir-Alley-in-March.html

Nice, I've seen Elevator to the Gallows but not the others.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Nice, I've seen Elevator to the Gallows but not the others.

This is so interesting, and such a coincidence !  

So, just a few days ago, I saw a really in-depth and informative documentary about Miles Davis  (on PBS.)  And guess what, one of the many fascinating things it said about this great musician is, he was asked to provide the score for that film -- "Elevator to the Gallows"  aka  "Ascenseur Pour L' 'echafaud".   He agreed, but he did it in an amazing way that was (and may still be) unheard of in scoring for a movie soundtrack:  he watched the rushes on the screen and improvised , recording as the images from the film played out in front of him.  

If anyone has the slightest interest in Miles Davis, seek out this PBS doc, called "Miles Davis:  Birth of the Cool".  

ps:  I'm delighted to see that "Elevator to the Gallows", scheduled on Noir Alley for March 22nd, is actually being shown in Canada too !  I've always wanted to see it, and I was afraid it would be "blocked" here (that is, in Canada).  I was happy about seeing it anyway, but now that I know about this connection of the film to Miles Davis, I'm doubly excited about it.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

This is so interesting, and such a coincidence !  

So, just a few days ago, I saw a really in-depth and informative documentary about Miles Davis  (on PBS.)  And guess what, one of the many fascinating things it said about this great musician is, he was asked to provide the score for that film -- "Elevator to the Gallows"  aka  "Ascenseur Pour L' 'echafaud".   He agreed, but he did it in an amazing way that was (and may still be) unheard of in scoring for a movie soundtrack:  he watched the rushes on the screen and improvised , recording as the images from the film played out in front of him.  

If anyone has the slightest interest in Miles Davis, seek out this PBS doc, called "Miles Davis:  Birth of the Cool".  

ps:  I'm delighted to see that "Elevator to the Gallows", scheduled on Noir Alley for March 22nd, is actually being shown in Canada too !  I've always wanted to see it, and I was afraid it would be "blocked" here (that is, in Canada).  I was happy about seeing it anyway, but now that I know about this connection of the film to Miles Davis, I'm doubly excited about it.

I also watched that Miles Davis doc on PBS the other night MissW, and so thanks for reminding me about this aspect to this upcoming film on TCM.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

This is so interesting, and such a coincidence !  

So, just a few days ago, I saw a really in-depth and informative documentary about Miles Davis  (on PBS.)  And guess what, one of the many fascinating things it said about this great musician is, he was asked to provide the score for that film -- "Elevator to the Gallows"  aka  "Ascenseur Pour L' 'echafaud".   He agreed, but he did it in an amazing way that was (and may still be) unheard of in scoring for a movie soundtrack:  he watched the rushes on the screen and improvised , recording as the images from the film played out in front of him.  

If anyone has the slightest interest in Miles Davis, seek out this PBS doc, called "Miles Davis:  Birth of the Cool".  

ps:  I'm delighted to see that "Elevator to the Gallows", scheduled on Noir Alley for March 22nd, is actually being shown in Canada too !  I've always wanted to see it, and I was afraid it would be "blocked" here (that is, in Canada).  I was happy about seeing it anyway, but now that I know about this connection of the film to Miles Davis, I'm doubly excited about it.

Funny but I just got off of the jazz website forum I belong to and all the rage is about PBS showing the Miles Davis;  Birth of the Cool documentary.

Check it out folks,  it rocks.   (well swings!).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2020 at 3:40 PM, cigarjoe said:

Nice, I've seen Elevator to the Gallows but not the others.

Joe, I have seen Death of a Cyclist and liked it. There's a background of Spanish politics, but it is genuine noir. I haven't seen Pale Flower, but definitely want to record that one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kingrat said:

 I haven't seen Pale Flower

I have, and I liked it.

I also liked Death of a Cyclist, and loved Elevator to the Gallows.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elevator to the Gallows is one of those films where the characters act clueless the whole time and you want to facepalm. One of the things where if they just tilt their head a little and see another character things would go completely differently.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gershwin fan said:

Elevator to the Gallows is one of those films where the characters act clueless the whole time and you want to facepalm. One of the things where if they just tilt their head a little and see another character things would go completely differently.

I gave your post a "sad" emoji because, even though  you said very little about the film, you said enough to give something away.  A bit of a spoiler.  I haven't seen "Elevator to the Gallows". but now I know something about the plot I didn't know before.  And wouldn't want to know til I watched it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I gave your post a "sad" emoji because, even though  you said very little about the film, you said enough to give something away.  A bit of a spoiler.  I haven't seen "Elevator to the Gallows". but now I know something about the plot I didn't know before.  And wouldn't want to know til I watched it.

In that case MissW, I won't say a word to ya about the updated remake to this movie I happened to catch on TV a while back while channel surfing.

(…"Escalator to the Gas Chamber")

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Noir Alley is back with Ride the Pink Horse.  Don't recall having seen it, but the description sounds interesting. 

Welcome back from exile Noir Alley!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Noir Alley is back with Ride the Pink Horse.  Don't recall having seen it, but the description sounds interesting. 

Welcome back from exile Noir Alley!

Don't think I've seen it myself. Does sound like it'll be an interesting watch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen RTPH two or three times over the years. It has my favorite hearing-aid wearing villain, though

obviously there's not a lot of competition for that title. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I've seen RTPH two or three times over the years. It has my favorite hearing-aid wearing villain, though

obviously there's not a lot of competition for that title. 

Yea, I can only think of Brian Donlevy in  The Big Combo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An speaking of noirs, anybody catch the fact that Kiss of Death has a female VO narration by Coleen Gray? The only one I remembered before was Claire Trevor in Raw Deal, I wonder if there are any others?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea, I can only think of Brian Donlevy in  The Big Combo.

I only saw The Big Combo once many years ago and had forgotten about Donlevy. Okay, one of the

few bald hearing-aid wearing  villains. Just goes to show how difficult it is to be unique.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea, I can only think of Brian Donlevy in  The Big Combo.

There was Yul Brynner as The Deaf Man in Fuzz, an Ed McBain 87th Precinct book. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2020 at 8:17 AM, TheCid said:

Noir Alley is back with Ride the Pink Horse.  Don't recall having seen it, but the description sounds interesting. 

Welcome back from exile Noir Alley!

I have seen it a few times, I think it's excellent.

In Muller's opening remarks he seems a bit dismissive of Wanda Hendrix as the Mexican girl Pila. She was my favorite thing about the movie, she seemed to be an almost mystical character. There is a scene when she is sitting outside the cantina waiting for Montgomery and her eyes appear to be glowing. I thought she did a good job with the accent as well. 

Muller's closing remarks are more complimentary to her character, though he wish he would have praised Hendrix's performance a bit more, I think she was excellent.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy
×
×
  • Create New...