Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

2 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Actually, Dargo, I did not know where Sante Fe is, or even if it's an American or a Mexican town  (or at least I didn't know before I read your post.)  My knowledge of certain areas of American geography are sketchy, I'm afraid.  But then, I bet you wouldn't be able to tell me where Omemee is, either,   right?

Nope, but as I think you know, I CAN point out where Kelowna BC is on a map, anyway! ;)

6 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

What ? I thought he did leave the U.S.   Oh, silly me...was Ride the Pink Horse set in an American border town?? For some reason I thought it was set in a Mexican town.

Either way, Gagin is offensively dismissive, as you say, to the local Mexican Indian population.  His lack of respect for them is basically the kind of casual, unconscious racism so many white Americans seemed to possess at that time.

Also sexist.  Although he does express gratitude to Pancho, I don't remember his doing the same, except maybe at the very end, to Pila.

He did not follow Canned Heat's advice, but stayed in the U.S.. And he was definitely not a model for the Good

Neighbor policy. He seemed to be a rough-hewn character in general with a particular dislike for the Hispanic

people in the town, though he softened a little bit toward the end. He is certainly not a likable character.

I also wondered about the old key in the chewing gum hidden just behind the map trick. I guess it was unlikely

anyone would notice it, but  you never know. But that's a minor point. I forgot to credit Art Smith. He often

played a law enforcement officer of some kind who is often, perhaps because of his unassuming stature, under-

estimated by the bad guys. He usually came out ahead of them and usually did it with something of a wink and

nod. Well done.

15 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

They made a big deal out of Gagin buying a stick of gum and chewing it for a minute or so because he had decided to hide the locker key (the locker where he's put  the incriminating cheque ) behind a wall map in the bus station.  He attached the key to the chewed up gum and then stuck 'em both behind that map.  I think it's laffite who says that's not a very good hiding place, but you know that expression, "hiding in plain sight".  Maybe Gagin thought he'd come up with an ingeniously clever hiding place for that key. Anyway, that was the reason for the gum thing.

Thanks.

16 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

What ? I thought he did leave the U.S.   Oh, silly me...was Ride the Pink Horse set in an American border town?? For some reason I thought it was set in a Mexican town.

Either way, Gagin is offensively dismissive, as you say, to the local Mexican Indian population.  His lack of respect for them is basically the kind of casual, unconscious racism so many white Americans seemed to possess at that time.

Also sexist.  Although he does express gratitude to Pancho, I don't remember his doing the same, except maybe at the very end, to Pila.

I thought he was out of the U.S as well and have already mentioned it. There were not enough Americans around to dispel the idea. Okay, it's an American border town, so wouldn't there a few gringo lounging about?

He seemed to regard Pila as a child. I thought he was softening up a little with her at the restaurant, but still very patronizing.

///

• Thanks 1
21 minutes ago, laffite said:

I thought he was out of the U.S as well and have already mentioned it. There were not enough Americans around to dispel the idea. Okay, it's an American border town, so wouldn't there a few gringo lounging about?

He seemed to regard Pila as a child. I thought he was softening up a little with her at the restaurant, but still very patronizing.

///

I guess there would(be  ;) ).   When I was in my wife's birthplace of LAREDO TX back in '91 the place was FULL of'em.   :D 

Sepiatone

THIS WEEK'S ENTRY, I BELIEVE, IS A FOX FILM THAT HAS IT FANS, I WAKE UP SCREAMING FROM THE STEVE FISHER NOVEL.

i'll be honest with you and say that I am not one of those fans, although i will try to watch it again.

it's a weirdassed movie, which makes the weirdassed choice to use OVER THE RAINBOW on the soundtrack A LOT; but what bothers me the most about it each time I watch is how cavalierly it deals with and discusses the murder victim and how cornball some of the dialogue is.

ironically, it  would have been better if they had titled it THE HOT SPOT, as they wanted to, before the cast objected and, allegedly, won.

also uses STREET SCENE a LOT.

th?id=OIP.Im7rhuVdc2C8DVFPn_u_RwHaLF&pid

7 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if i recall correctly though (and i don't always) I am the only person here who does not like I WAKE UP SCREAMING.

Correct me in the replies if I am wrong.

I like most noirs, so I don't mind "I Wake Up Screaming".  Title is interesting as it can be co-opted into many different scenarios of a person in bed!  Anyway, I hope I can see it this weekend.  Last week's edition of "Noir Alley" was not shown for me, and I don't know why.  I signed up for Hulu so I could watch March Madness (those plans were officially scotched Thursday)!  When I turned on the program to hear Eddie's intro notes about "Ride The Pink Horse", the picture suddenly cut out and the screen said it wasn't available in my area!  Saaaaayyyyy Whaaaaaat?

This is not cool with me.  If I can't watch "Noir Alley" on Saturday nights or Sunday mornings, is keeping Hulu really worth it?  On the one hand, it's very frustrating.  On the other, I have one less distraction during my workouts (I've lost 26 pounds since the end of October with faint signs of starting to get buffed) 😅.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
10 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I like most noirs, so I don't mind "I Wake Up Screaming".  Title is interesting as it can be co-opted into many different scenarios of a person in bed!  Anyway, I hope I can see it this weekend.  Last week's edition of "Noir Alley" was not shown for me, and I don't know why.  I signed up for Hulu so I could watch March Madness (those plans were officially scotched Thursday)!  When I turned on the program to hear Eddie's intro notes about "Ride The Pink Horse", the picture suddenly cut out and the screen said it wasn't available in my area!  Saaaaayyyyy Whaaaaaat?

This is not cool with me.  If I can't watch "Noir Alley" on Saturday nights or Sunday mornings, is keeping Hulu really worth it?  On the one hand, it's very frustrating.  On the other, I have one less distraction during my workouts (I've lost 26 pounds since the end of October with faint signs of starting to get buffed) 😅.

someone in another thread informed me that RIDE THE PINK HORSE was not cleared for STREAMING RIGHTS, and could not be shown through streaming servives like HULU and ON DEMAND

A few years back I switched to HULU and have been really REALLY happy with TCM on HULU, which offers about 3/4 of what they show in a week (some things don't get offered in their on-demand line-up) also i get both WEST and EAST COAST feeds, so I can watch stuff that was on three hours ago IF I WANT AS I LIVE on the east coast.

give it a chance, add TCM to your favorite netowrks and hit the asterisk on your remote, that should take you into what they offer. RIDE THE PINK HORSE is the first NOIR ALLEY in I don't know HOW LONG to NOT be offered on TCM ON HULU. I skipped it when it first ran because I just assumed it would show up in the on demand section.

• Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

if i recall correctly though (and i don't always) I am the only person here who does not like I WAKE UP SCREAMING.

Correct me in the replies if I am wrong.

I saw it once and I remember thinking it was ok, but nothing great. But I'll watch it again as I've forgotten a lot of it.

44 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THIS WEEK'S ENTRY, I BELIEVE, IS A FOX FILM THAT HAS IT FANS, I WAKE UP SCREAMING FROM THE STEVE FISHER NOVEL.

i'll be honest with you and say that I am not one of those fans, although i will try to watch it again.

it's a weirdassed movie, which makes the weirdassed choice to use OVER THE RAINBOW on the soundtrack A LOT; but what bothers me the most about it each time I watch is how cavalierly it deals with and discusses the murder victim and how cornball some of the dialogue is.

ironically, it  would have been better if they had titled it THE HOT SPOT, as they wanted to, before the cast objected and, allegedly, won.

The cast objected? LOL. Since when did the cast get approval?  SCREAMING makes it sound more lurid then it was....

3 hours ago, Hibi said:

The cast objected? LOL. Since when did the cast get approval?  SCREAMING makes it sound more lurid then it was....

Yeah as I recall this is according to the trivia section of IMDb, so great big grain of salt should be taken.Yeah as I recall this is according to the trivia section of IMDb, so great big grain of salt should be taken.

6 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

This movie is played on Fox Movies a lot.

On the other hand, The Hot Spot, 1990, with Don Johnson, Virginia Madsen, Jennifer Connelly and several other good actors is a very entertaining movie.  Directed by Dennis Hopper.  I don't believe it has anything to do with book /movie mentioned above.

Image result for the hot spot

6 hours ago, midwestan said:

I like most noirs, so I don't mind "I Wake Up Screaming".  Title is interesting as it can be co-opted into many different scenarios of a person in bed!  Anyway, I hope I can see it this weekend. 

I have seen I Wake Up Screaming often since MOVIES shows it often.      I like the film.     Grable and Mature work well together and I find the background music of Over the Rainbow and the Street Scene theme effective (Street Scene theme music was used in a few Fox noirs) and Laird Cregar as the detective is very good.

Coming in at 82 minutes I like the pacing and the direction creates a good amount of tension.

• Like 2

I saw the remake Vicki (1953), with Richard Boone, Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters, and Elliott Reid, before I saw I Wake Up Screaming. I thought they both had their moments. In the remake, I enjoyed the brief appearance by a "young" Aaron Spelling as a weird-looking creep.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw the remake Vicki (1953), with Richard Boone, Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters, and Elliott Reid, before I saw I Wake Up Screaming. I thought they both had their moments. In the remake, I enjoyed the brief appearance by a "young" Aaron Spelling as a weird-looking creep.

I have seen both and I think Screaming is the better of the two.  As you said, both have their moments.

I'm a big fan of Carole Landis so that flavors my opinion.  

• Like 2