Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

17 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw the remake Vicki (1953), with Richard Boone, Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters, and Elliott Reid, before I saw I Wake Up Screaming. I thought they both had their moments. In the remake, I enjoyed the brief appearance by a "young" Aaron Spelling as a weird-looking creep.

MOVIES also shows Vicki often.      I like it (just not as much as IWUS).       Yea,  Aaron Spelling plays the same role as Elisha Cook Jr in IWUS.

Here is Cook and Spelling with Carolyn Jones.

Image result for elisha cook jrImage result for aaron spelling

29 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I saw the remake Vicki (1953), with Richard Boone, Jeanne Crain, Jean Peters, and Elliott Reid, before I saw I Wake Up Screaming. I thought they both had their moments. In the remake, I enjoyed the brief appearance by a "young" Aaron Spelling as a weird-looking creep.

Yep, and with the weakest part being the casting of Elliott Reid in the part Mature played in the original.

(...Reid was never any sort of leading man, ya know)

Just now, Dargo said:

Yep, and with the weakest part being the casting of Elliott Reid in the part Mature played in the original.

(...Reid was never any sort of leading man, ya know)

Yeah, I had to look him up to get his name, as I have zero recall of him at all.

31 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, I had to look him up to get his name, as I have zero recall of him at all.

Always thought him best cast as the somewhat ineffectual would-be playboy who's the best friend of the lead character.

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

THIS WEEK'S ENTRY, I BELIEVE, IS A FOX FILM THAT HAS IT FANS, I WAKE UP SCREAMING FROM THE STEVE FISHER NOVEL.

i'll be honest with you and say that I am not one of those fans, although i will try to watch it again.

it's a weirdassed movie, which makes the weirdassed choice to use OVER THE RAINBOW on the soundtrack A LOT; but what bothers me the most about it each time I watch is how cavalierly it deals with and discusses the murder victim and how cornball some of the dialogue is.

ironically, it  would have been better if they had titled it THE HOT SPOT, as they wanted to, before the cast objected and, allegedly, won.

also uses STREET SCENE a LOT.

th?id=OIP.Im7rhuVdc2C8DVFPn_u_RwHaLF&pid

It's weird because it's a "Gateway Noir"

The biggest problem of some critics and chroniclers of Noir with the film I Wake Up Screaming is that they don't know how to categorize it. It doesn't fit the carefully crafted "German Expressionism" influence scenario that they have worked out as the origin of Noir. It's Directo,r H. Bruce Humberstone, never made another Noir, it's brilliant cinematographer, Edward Cronjager, never filmed another Noir so conceptually and visually it's a one off, one of a kind.

I'm calling it a seminal "Gateway Noir" because the film serves the same purpose as a gateway drug, it functions as a sort of gateway to Noir for those unfamiliar, at that point in time, with what eventually came to be known stylistically, and hard boiled narratively, as Films Noir.

Look at the film in chronological context, only Stranger On The Third Floor (1940) approaches it in Noir visual stylistics, while The Maltese Falcon (1941) released only twenty eight days ahead of it on October 3, has the hard boiled story by Dashiell Hammett, but barely any of the signature visual stylistics. I Wake up Screaming not only was based on the hard boiled novel by Steve Fisher and also has the brilliant Noir stylistics in abundance but it has much much more. You can say that the film has dissociative identity, multiple genres if you will. It's also a bit of a Screwball Comedy, a Romantic Drama, and almost a Musical. This seamless genre bending provides the "gateway" for Comedy, Romance, and Musical audiences at that time into the films that eventually will be pigeonholed into the future Noir cycle.

My assertion is that if you've screened I Wake Up Screaming after the various other Noirs it will seem a strange hybrid indeed, because of the conceptions you've already amassed. But, experiencing it as audiences did in 1941 it would probably seem fresh and innovative.

Full review with screencaps here

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, TheCid said:

This movie is played on Fox Movies a lot.

On the other hand, The Hot Spot, 1990, with Don Johnson, Virginia Madsen, Jennifer Connelly and several other good actors is a very entertaining movie.  Directed by Dennis Hopper.  I don't believe it has anything to do with book /movie mentioned above.

Image result for the hot spot

The Dennis Hopper film THE HOT SPOT is based in the book HELL HATH NO FURY- I cannot remember the name of the author, but I read it about 25 years ago and remember really, really liking it a lot. 

7 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

RIDE THE PINK HORSE is the first NOIR ALLEY in I don't know HOW LONG to NOT be offered on TCM ON HULU. I skipped it when it first ran because I just assumed it would show up in the on demand section.

It didn't show up on Sling either but I own a DVD of it.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

The Dennis Hopper film THE HOT SPOT is based in the book HELL HATH NO FURY- I cannot remember the name of the author, but I read it about 25 years ago and remember really, really liking it a lot. 

Charles Williams author

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

It's weird because it's a "Gateway Noir"

The biggest problem of some critics and chroniclers of Noir with the film I Wake Up Screaming is that they don't know how to categorize it. It doesn't fit the carefully crafted "German Expressionism" influence scenario that they have worked out as the origin of Noir. It's Directo,r H. Bruce Humberstone, never made another Noir, it's brilliant cinematographer, Edward Cronjager, never filmed another Noir so conceptually and visually it's a one off, one of a kind.

I'm calling it a seminal "Gateway Noir" because the film serves the same purpose as a gateway drug, it functions as a sort of gateway to Noir for those unfamiliar, at that point in time, with what eventually came to be known stylistically, and hard boiled narratively, as Films Noir.

Look at the film in chronological context, only Stranger On The Third Floor (1940) approaches it in Noir visual stylistics, while The Maltese Falcon (1941) released only twenty eight days ahead of it on October 3, has the hard boiled story by Dashiell Hammett, but barely any of the signature visual stylistics. I Wake up Screaming not only was based on the hard boiled novel by Steve Fisher and also has the brilliant Noir stylistics in abundance but it has much much more. You can say that the film has dissociative identity, multiple genres if you will. It's also a bit of a Screwball Comedy, a Romantic Drama, and almost a Musical. This seamless genre bending provides the "gateway" for Comedy, Romance, and Musical audiences at that time into the films that eventually will be pigeonholed into the future Noir cycle.

My assertion is that if you've screened I Wake Up Screaming after the various other Noirs it will seem a strange hybrid indeed, because of the conceptions you've already amassed. But, experiencing it as audiences did in 1941 it would probably seem fresh and innovative.

Full review with screencaps here

Damn, NAIL ON THE HEAD with this one, CJ!

• Like 1
22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have the movie on DVD and enjoy re-watching it occasionally.   Perfect type movie for Don Johnson and Virginia Madsen.

On 3/13/2020 at 7:02 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

I have seen when it was released first run,no success but a good movie,Virginia Madsen is in her prime & very sexy 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And now yet ANOTHER thing I learned about Victor Mature while again watching I Wake Up Screaming this evening:

Who knew he had such beautiful penmanship???

(...I mean, weren't those letters he wrote to Vicky and then later to Jill just about the best and most legible examples of handwriting you ever saw?!)  ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Dargo said:

And now yet ANOTHER thing I learned about Victor Mature while again watching I Wake Up Screaming this evening:

Who knew he had such beautiful penmanship???

(...I mean, weren't those letters he wrote to Vicky and then later to Jill just about the best and most legible examples of handwriting you ever saw?!)  ;)

SERIOUSLY. Who would’ve thought with those big ole’ man paws that Vic had the skills of a calligrapher. 

I wonder if his character addressed wedding invitation envelopes on the side.

• Haha 3
57 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I wake up screaming, too -- only one roll of toilet paper left.

Oh, well, maybe somewhere over the rainbow a local market has already restocked....

I know it’s only Sunday, but this has my nomination for “post of the week.”

ps- baby wipes, tissue, and any of the TWILIGHT novels also will work.

• Haha 2
On 3/13/2020 at 11:10 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

THIS WEEK'S ENTRY, I BELIEVE, IS A FOX FILM THAT HAS IT FANS, I WAKE UP SCREAMING FROM THE STEVE FISHER NOVEL.

I like this one, 7/10, just watched it again.

The best thing in it is Laird Cregar as the creepy cop obsessed with waitress Carole Landis. He was always a welcome addition to the cast of a few films. One year after this film he played the nervous Nellie saboteur in This Gun For Hire. Despite his huge girth, his character is terrified of diminutive hitman Alan Ladd, literally half his size. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

I like this one, 7/10, just watched it again.

The best thing in it is Laird Cregar as the creepy cop obsessed with waitress Carole Landis. He was always a welcome addition to the cast of a few films. One year after this film he played the nervous Nellie saboteur in This Gun For Hire. Despite his huge girth, his character is terrified of diminutive hitman Alan Ladd, literally half his size. 

We watched it again this morning and my wife thought Raymond Burr would have been better in the Laird Cregar role.  I agree with her.

Also, I don't see musical or comedy overtones to it.  All movies of that period tried to insert music numbers.

• Thanks 1

I thought IWUS was just OK too. I kept thinking I'd seen it before and realized I was thinking about VICKI (the remake) after doing some research. For some reason I haven't seen many Betty Grable movies. I guess the fact she was primarily a song and dance actress explains why.  Anyway I liked both her and Mature's performances for the most part. Here's hoping the next few Noir Alleys excite me a little more.  It looks like my TCM watching will only increase over the next few weeks. Hopefully, my wife can cultivate a taste for classic mystery movies to match mine.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, TheCid said:

We watched it again this morning and my wife thought Raymond Burr would have been better in the Laird Cregar role.  I agree with her.

Also, I don't see musical or comedy overtones to it.  All movies of that period tried to insert music numbers.

Raymond Burr was born in 1917, which would have made him about 24 around the time they filmed this movie (maybe 25.) He *might* have (FOR ONCE) been too young for the part.

(or maybe he was one of those people who was just born looking 44 years old.)

• Like 1

I've seen both I Wake Up Screaming and Vicki. It was more of a mystery to me that Eddie did not mention Vicki was a remake of IWUS than who killed Vicki  LOL

I liked both versions, Richard Boone in the Laird Cregar role was interesting. The ending of Vicki does have a change but it's the same plot. I Wake Up Screaming was never high on my list of favorite noirs, and I hadn't seen it in years, however,  I admit I liked it much better this time around. Eddie made a point about IWUS being the first noir that photographed looking like a noir. Very true, some shots I thought were great and very noirish. There's one shot of Victor Mature standing on the stairs in the Hotel/apt bldg towards the end that was very noirish looking and terrific. I enjoyed watching IWUS last night and although Eddie's comments were informative as usual, still surprised there was no mention of the Vicki remake.

• Like 1