Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Director H. Bruce Humberstone had directed 4 Charlie Chan films and 3 Jane Withers films.      Now he gets a break and is directing a film with the studio's rising major star,   Grable,  who made it big in the musical Down Argentina Way the year before.        Humberstone decides to use the most famous song at that time,  (due to Oz,  the Garland record sales as well as sheet music sales) as the back drop music for Grable's character.    

Yea,   it is over-done and a bit too obvious but as a marketing derives it was a sound idea.

• Thanks 1
35 minutes ago, TomJH said:

I Wake Up Screaming's Betty Grable musical number - cut from the film. If this number had been included, as originally envisioned, it would have strengthened any case made that this film has musical overtones. But without it, forget it.

Oh, brother! I thought she played a typist/steno in the film? I guess they changed it after they dropped the number.

3 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

it also reinforces to me the "musical" bone being thrown to the audience The Wizard of Oz was a Adventure, Family, Fantasy and a Musical 

I still say that's a stretch, but that's ok.  Maybe the musical fans would "tune" to IWUS because of "Over the Rainbow".   And no amount of "tuning" is going to make I Wake Up Screaming into a film for those who like family movies.  😏

TWENTIETH  CENTURY  VOLE  Presents:

I WAKE  UP SCREENING

A young woman and  the smooth operator she's in love with decide to make a murder mystery movie. They have trouble casting the detective, but in the end it all works out rosy, probably because she believed in rainbows.  The wholesome young woman and her slick boyfriend become so exhausted with their filmmaking efforts that just as they're about to view the rushes, they both fall asleep.  ...and wake up to see the final product in the screening room of their happy home.

Image result for 1941 film I wake up screaming movie theatre scene

"I think it could use a little more editing, there's too many scenes of you washing the dishes..."

Image result for 1941 I wake up screaming        Image result for 1941 I wake up screaming

"Wait a minute, who the hell is Bruce Humberstone? I thought we got directing credits for this"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

TWENTIETH  CENTURY  VOLE  Presents  the long-awaited sequel to   I WAKE UP SCREENING:

The critics are all talking about:

I WAKE UP STREAMING

Jill and Frankie take their movie masterwork to Netflix.  

image.jpeg.2521dfc1a789c701b94026b909a4527b.jpeg

"Darling, never mind the big screen, think how much money we'll make now."

• Haha 3
On 3/16/2020 at 4:23 PM, misswonderly3 said:

TWENTIETH  CENTURY  VOLE  Presents  the long-awaited sequel to   I WAKE UP SCREENING:

The critics are all talking about:

I WAKE UP STREAMING

Jill and Frankie take their movie masterwork to Netflix.  

image.jpeg.2521dfc1a789c701b94026b909a4527b.jpeg

"Darling, never mind the big screen, think how much money we'll make now."

7 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

crickets.

i-wake-up-screaming-mature-being-grilled

"Ya might as well fess up here, Vic! We know you were a willing accomplice in that 20th Century Vole job up there!"

• Haha 3

Damn! I've just thought of one more line I could have used in my previous post!

And so...

"AND we know that Wonderly dame was the brains behind it TOO!"

(...sure wish I'd think o' this kind'a stuff earlier)

• Haha 2
17 hours ago, Dargo said:

Damn! I've just thought of one more line I could have used in my previous post!

And so...

"AND we know that Wonderly dame was the brains behind it TOO!"

(...sure wish I'd think o' this kind'a stuff earlier)

When this happens, just quote yourself and say TO ADD,  and then proceed with the late piece of brilliancy.

Some hold that it is tacky to quote yourself, but I'm all for it if there is as good enough reason. I've only had to do it a couple of times, mainly for a lack of brilliancies.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, laffite said:

When this happens, just quote yourself and say TO ADD,  and then proceed with the late piece of brilliancy.

Some hold that it is tacky to quote yourself, but I'm all for it if there is as good enough reason. I've only had to do it a couple of times, mainly for a lack of brilliancies.

LOL

Good tip! ;)

(...and which btw for all you cheap Europeans out there, is about 20% of the bill here in the States)

From the twitter -

Tonight’s presentation of ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS (‘58) was shot back in January and
@davekarger was shooting his intros on the neighboring set. We had to get a photo of this trio. It’s rare they’re all in Atlanta at the same time. TV magic.

ETqlWuaXYAImKkX?format=jpg&name=900x900

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

To tie in to your photo -

Just a reminder that tonight's showing of Elevator to the Gallows (1958) is the first of the 'International Noir' films that Eddie is hosting with Alicia Malone.  (Eddie mentioned last week that he would have his own 'femme fatale' this evening.)

Eddie may also be joining Alicia as host for the other two Noir films scheduled as part of TCM Imports late on Sunday - Death of a Cyclist (1958) and Pale Flower (1964).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
38 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

To tie in to your photo -

Just a reminder that tonight's showing of Elevator to the Gallows (1958) is the first of the 'International Noir' films that Eddie is hosting with Alicia Malone.  (Eddie mentioned last week that he would have his own 'femme fatale' this evening.)

Eddie may also be joining Alicia as host for the the other two Noir films scheduled as part of TCM Imports late on Sunday - Death of a Cyclist (1958) and Pale Flower (1964).

Very cool, I've seen Elevator to the Gallows but not  Death of a Cyclist (1958) and Pale Flower (1964). 

As a bonus Elevator to the Gallows has a great score  by  Miles Davis to boot.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Vautrin said:

I'll bet Bob Mitchum could flatten that trio with just one punch.  :)

Ah c'mon now, Vautrin! Bob would never flatten a dame.

(...heck, he didn't even do it to Jane Greer or Jean Simmons in those noir flicks he costarred in 'em with, and both of whom richly deserving it)

• Sad 1

Btw, I can't wait to hear Ben's lead-in this week to Eddie's program, and after last week when he got the stagehands chuckling with...

"And next up on TCM, Eddie Muller presents this week's Noir Alley presentation, I Wake Up Screaming...and a notion which I'm sure Mrs. Eddie Muller can identify with."

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

(...heck, he didn't even do it to Jane Greer or Jean Simmons in those noir flicks he costarred in 'em with, and both of whom richly deserving it)

He didn't hit them and look what happened to him. ✖️

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Well, I must say I really enjoyed watching the film Elevator to the Gallows and the discussion that Eddie and Alicia had before and after.  Looking forward to the continuation of the theme on TCM Imports.  Thanks to Eddie, Alicia, and TCM for arranging it.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Dargo said:

Ah, come on, Dargo, Jean Simmons' character wasn't so bad in that flick. She just wasn't that good at backing up a car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Watched Elevator to the Gallows and not impressed.  Not a bad movie, but I really don't like foreign language films.  Miss the action, facial expressions, small movements, etc. while trying to read what they are saying.

As for Alicia Malone, not sure she adds anything to the series.  Their discussion just seemed to be two people trying to discuss French films and filmmakers as opposed to Noir itself or even the movie.

Been a while, but I did spend a week in Australia and have had discussions with Australians since then.  Add in all the movies and TV shows with Australians playing Australians.  No one ever sounded remotely like Malone.  Her accent is becoming annoying.  Is it unique to a certain place in Australia or maybe her?

9 minutes ago, TheCid said:

Miss the action, facial expressions, small movements, etc. while trying to read what they are saying.

Simple solution is to watch it twice once reading the subs to know what's going on second time for the facial expressions action, etc., etc.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ELEVATOR TO THE GALLOWS was certainly different. I usually steer away from foreign films with sub-titles, but I stuck with it because I trust Eddie. I have to admit I found it entertaining. While it was interesting, I'm not sure I want a steady diet of French noir. 

Also, I enjoyed seeing Alicia Malone. She seems well versed in French films as well as classic films in general. I actually like her, but I've always had a soft spot for women with British (or Australian) accents. Heck, I watched a lot of the impeachment hearings just to see and hear Fiona Hill.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, TomJH said:

Ah, come on, Dargo, Jean Simmons' character wasn't so bad in that flick. She just wasn't that good at backing up a car.

Oh, that poor Jaguar!

And re the French flick last night...I enjoyed it a lot and really had little difficulty staying up with the visuals while reading the subtitles.

I think this was probably due to it not actually having a lot of dialogue, as there were many scenes throughout which contained no dialogue at all, and such as the caught in the elevator sequences and the shots of Moreau walking the streets of Paris in search of her paramour. And even during scenes were there was dialogue spoken, it tended to be in short clipped sentences and in true noir fashion.

I also thought the Miles Davis score was very effective and used just the right amount and at the right times during it.

(...however, I also wished Eddie and lovely Alicia would've spent a little more time talking of this film specifically and little less time on the subject of French cinema as a whole, and perhaps would have told us more of the backstories of some of the actors in it)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't mind reading subtitles in foreign films.  It used to bother me when I first tried doing it, but over time, I got used to it, and I think it makes for a better viewing experience instead of having to listen to dubbed in English (or whichever language is predominant among the viewing public).  

• Like 2

Aargh !  I'm sorry, I can't help it,  I get so annoyed with some of you who keep declaring that you don't like foreign language films.  Or don't like watching foreign language films.      

I'm not sure if you people have a problem with just following the film  (yes, I get it, if you're reading the subtitles you can't be paying attention to facial expressions and other things going on on the screen, I understand that concern), maybe that's it.  You would find that you'd kind of get used to it, if you watched a lot of movies with sub-titles you'd just gradually be better able to read the sub-titles and still see what's going on.  Practice.  But I can't help suspecting that it's more than that, it's not just the extra work of reading the sub-titles and keeping up with the visuals on the screen at the same time,  it's that a lot of you just don't like "furren movies".  Maybe I'm being unfair and judgemental. 

But honestly,  get over it.  Yes, who doesn't love American noir, it's great, we all love those American cities and the snappy American dialogue and seeing all the aspects of post-war American culture, etc.   But you're depriving yourselves of so many fantastic movies if you avoid  those made in a language other than English.  I know that those who don't like foreign-language movies only watched "Elevator to the Gallows" because that was the feature on Noir Alley this week.    It was a great film, so much so that I'm saving my comments for it for another post.

Do yourselves a favour.   Get over that "only American English-language movies are what I want to watch" thing.  

• Like 4