Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

On 4/9/2020 at 7:53 PM, cigarjoe said:

That was the Hudson River with a lot of junk floating in it. 

The bank robbery part of the film (Melton in the film )was shot in Hudson New York, hasn't changed too much in  60 years. Here are some Comparison shots

Promenade Hill Park

bhlFq0n.jpg

Hudson River with the Catskill Mountains on the horizon. That is also an island in the Hudson  on the near right. You can see the difference in the depth of field between film cameras of Joseph C. Brun and my Cannon camera.  In the film frame the high voltage tower and the lighthouse  are a lot closer looking. Gone are the telegraph poles along the railway below the bluff, and where the debris was floating in the  river there is now a boat launch  with a parking lot and a small marina. The cast iron fence is the same one in the film the only difference is that they added an extra bar between the posts to cover the points of the upright sections. 

Here below is the reverse angle  looking up at Promenade Hill park from the parking lot at the boat launch.

8Qw5rYH.jpg

Where Ed Begley is standing  by the cast iron fence is where I took the photo of the river.  Some of the trees are gone.

X1oMtiC.jpg

Here is Warren Street then and now from entrance to Promenade Hill Park.

hMHXUeK.jpg

Statue is still there also

Below is 6th Street and the bank. Two frames of the film on the left and current bank building at right. 

OfZyMXB.jpg

Below the robbery sequence.

osZvPBh.jpg

That concrete step is still there next to the rear bank entrance. The same grating just above Begley's feet is between the second flower pot (where Begley pulled himself up)  from the left and light pole.

Below Warren and 7th Street intersection  with RR spur. then and now. I was just lucky enough to catch a switcher going through the same intersection like in the film. Gone is the RR crossing gate but the building on the corner with its fire escape is the same. In the film it was was a greyhound bus station now it's woman's clothing store.

jVAhvZ7.jpg

I had no idea Hudson got its day in the sun (or not in the sun, as it were!)  I grew up in the Hudson Valley and when I was growing up, Hudson was on its way down.  Today, it's a different story.  Thank you so much for these shots.  I can almost always recognize the Catskills when I see them in a film, but didn't this time!

• Like 1

There is also a shot in the film of the Rip Van Winkle Bridge. 

On 4/13/2020 at 8:30 AM, Hoganman1 said:

I agree. The film did remind me of a Perry Mason episode. 

Yes, it had a "TV-vibe" in the way it was shot (Were they going for a pseudo-documentary style?) and in the use of many of the featured actors who were often used in 1950's/1960's TV shows.  I couldn't place him at first, but Edward Binns (the cop) shows up in practically every well-known show of that era including:  "Twilight Zone, " "The Defenders," "Perry Mason," "The Untouchables" and many more.  The guy worked forever.  The surprise ending (far-fetched as it was) almost made Beyond A Reasonable Doubt work but, overall, the film was short on style, long on dialogue.  And Joan Fontaine? I admit I'm not much of a fan but she looked like she was channelling her "inner Ann Harding" with that old-lady up-do!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2020 at 9:07 AM, misswonderly3 said:

I should preface this by saying,  1)  I'm a bit uncomfortable analyzing and critiquing the appearance of women in movies in a way we don't seem to do so much with men. I'm not rabidly "activist" about it, but I am aware, every time I talk about how a woman looks in a film, that we tend to do it a lot more than we do the equivalent for male actors.  Still, we all know that women in film, no matter how talented they were, were also set up for "the male gaze".  Ok, enough undergrad cinema studies type blather.

2)  I actually really like Joan Fontaine, look how good she was in films like Rebecca  (her best work, in my opinion)  and The Constant Nymph,  and the under-rated Letter From an Unknown Woman.

What's kind of interesting about her appearance throughout her career is, she was able to play female lead characters who were much younger than her age  (in The Constant Nymph,   Joan's  26 and is playing, quite convincingly,  a girl in her teens) until, well,  she wasn't.  

I do think if, in Beyond a Reasonable Doubt ,  if they'd given Joan a softer hair style and more flattering clothes  (maybe that emphasized the slimness of her waist, but nothing "matronly" ) she would have looked better and younger.  It's not so much that she doesn't look attractive, in a snooty kind of way, it's that she looks severe. I know it's to contrast with the stripper girls, but they didn't need to go to such lengths for such a contrast.   

By the way, like all the "strippers" in classic noir, nobody actually strips; they just kind of prance around, at the most they remove some kind of "tail feather" thing at the end of their act  (remember the unfaithful "stripper" wife,  Adele Jergens, in Armoured Car Robbery.)

As for Beyond a Reasonable Doubt, it's one of those movies that impresses you until you start to think about it, after it's over.  SPOILER

SPOILER     Like, did Dana Andrews' character kill that woman before he and Spencer (the anti-capital-punishment newspaper publisher) had talked about capital punishment?  That plan they came up with, did Tom Garrett  (Andrews)  know about that plan even before he murdered his estranged wife? The more you start to think about it, the more  improbable it all becomes.  I think they just hoped the audience would be so shocked at Tom's revelation , 5 minutes before the film's ending, that they wouldn't stop to think about how unlikely it all would be.

ps:  Back to Joan Fontaine:  looking up her filmography,  I see that she was in Kiss the Blood from My Hands.  Despite the over-the-top and off-putting title, this is one I've always wanted to see.  I think it's pretty rare, never known it to be aired on TCM.

I like Joan Fontaine as well, except I wasn't really a fan of her in The Women, but I think that might have been because of her character, not Fontaine herself.  Fontaine seems to excel in roles playing the meek, vulnerable woman, like in her two Hitchcock films.  I did really like her performance in The Constant Nymph.  After 'Nymph' ended, I wasn't sure how I felt about the film as whole.  I still don't know what to think.  I loved Letter From an Unknown Woman.  That movie was fantastic.  Fontaine and Louis Jourdan were both excellent.  Aesthetically, the film was beautiful.  I agree that she looked harsh in Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.  I also wonder if they had colored her hair to a darker shade, it would have looked less harsh.  Fontaine's hair is more blonde in this film than I remember in previous films. She also always wore her hair pulled back into a fussy type style--very strict school marm look.

I've seen Kiss the Blood From My Hands.  I borrowed it from the library because of the overly dramatic sounding title and because I believe it co-stars Burt Lancaster.

SPOILER

Re: the ending of Beyond a Reasonable Doubt.  I always thought that Garrett killed his ex-wife during the midst of their scheme to plant circumstantial evidence.  I was thinking that he got the idea when he and Spencer first conceived the idea, murdered his ex-wife, and then went around with Spencer planting the circumstantial evidence, knowing full-well that it was going to help him get away with the crime. Spencer thought that he and Garrett were being clever and sticking it to Thompson, when in reality, he was helping Garrett get away with murder.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2020 at 7:11 AM, cigarjoe said:

A lot of people don't realize it but Richard Conte clocks in at with a total of 14 Noir just behind Bogart with 15. 

I realize it.  I don't know why Richard Conte is not more well-known.  Yes, he was in loads of noirs,  most of them good.  And Conte was an actor who was equally effective at playing either the sympathetic protagonist or the villain.  I love his performance in The Big Combo, for one.  I wish Eddie would show that one, it seems to be rare or something.

• Like 2

On 4/12/2020 at 6:32 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

Next week Eddie is showing Night and the City.      I believe this is a repeat.     Fine noir film with Richard Widmark,  Gene Tierney (somewhat wasted),  and the fine British actors, Googie Withers and Herbert Lom.

For those on the east coast the night starts off with Casablanca and then The Magnificent Ambersons.   

Dell Books 374 - Gerald Kersh - Night and the City | FlickrNIGHT AND THE CITY | PARIS LA

Aaargh !  I'm annoyed with TCM's scheduling this weekend.  Although they're still airing Noir Alley in its Saturday night slot, they're bumping the Sunday morning one for their "virtual" TCM Festival.  Dear god,  Lawrence of Arabia,  for the thousandth time.  I hate Lawrence of Arabia,  along with that other huge long David Lean epic, Dr. Zhivago.  I do like a lot of Lean's earlier work, before he got all earnest and full of himself and decided that a movie wasn't worth making unless it was at least 3 hours long.  

But I digress.  My point is, I'm disappointed and annoyed that the Sunday morning slot for Noir Alley has been pre-empted for this useless substitute   "TCM  Festival" (since of course the actual Festival was cancelled this year.)   I don't want or need bits culled from earlier festivals to replace the one they couldn't have this year.  And I want to see Night and the City at 10 a.m. this Sunday morning,   NOT  Lawrence of frigging Arabia ! !

Ok,  I know ...."Why don't you just watch it Saturday night?"  you ask.  Because, even though Saturday night is obviously a much more appropriate time to watch a noir movie, my husband loves Saturday Night Live, even the repeats  (of course they're all repeats now),  and we only have one television set.  Plus, I've kind of gotten used to the Sunday morning Noir Alley time.

Oh well, I think I might have a copy  (but only on videotape, unfortunately) of Night and the City kicking around somewhere.  I'll have to try and find it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I realize it.  I don't know why Richard Conte is not more well-known.  Yes, he was in loads of noirs,  most of them good.  And Conte was an actor who was equally effective at playing either the sympathetic protagonist or the villain.  I love his performance in The Big Combo, for one.  I wish Eddie would show that one, it seems to be rare or something.

TCM has shown the Big Combo, but I don't think in a long, long time ( at least a few years) I would love to see this one again. I had a big crush on Richard Conte  when I was a kid after seeing him in Ocean's 11, in a theater. He was so sympathetic and I always thought he was sexy.

• Like 1

Agree, lav, I always thought Conte was quite attractive too.

Here he is in "The Big Combo":

image.jpeg.9a0a44777fe466e25d573ef2c13449ca.jpeg

I think he looks a little like John Hamm.

• Like 1

In that photo he does a little. But (big sigh) Jon Hamm as Don Draper, doesn't get much better or sexier than that.

Richard Conte was a very good actor, good range. So sympathetic in Ocean'11 and Thieves Highway, then the biggest SOB in I'll Cry Tomorrow

• Like 2

Concerning the Noir Alley schedule:

- Although Night and the City (1950) is showing Saturday evening at 11:45 pm ET, I don't believe it is actually part of the Noir Alley series.  (It was shown previously on Noir Alley back in November 2017.)  I suspect that Eddie may not even do the intro for this showing.  If you can't catch Night and the City on Saturday, it is also scheduled to be shown on Friday, June 19 at 6:15 pm ET.

- For those of us who obsess over such things, Noir Alley was originally planning to show Witness to Murder (1954) with Barbara Stanwyck before the Film Festival replaced everything.  Witness to Murder has not yet been rescheduled, but I would assume it will return to Noir Alley before too long.

- In the YouTube video with the TCM hosts that was posted to kick off the film festival, Eddie said for obvious reasons he was looking forward to Night and the City and another Noir film, The Set-Up (1949), which is scheduled for Sunday at 7:45 am ET.  The Set-Up has also been shown before on Noir Alley back in April of 2017.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, cmovieviewer said:

Although Night and the City (1950) is showing Saturday evening at 11:45 pm, I don't believe it is actually part of the Noir Alley series.  (It was shown previously on Noir Alley back in November 2017.)  I suspect that Eddie may not even do the intro for this showing. 

It appears you're saying that there is no Noir Alley this weekend.     A noir film Saturday night but not Noir Alley.     Makes sense now that I understand that Witness for Murder was original planned. 

That could be;  Either way,  as it relates to Eddie and if he is hosting Saturday night:  I  always assumed TCM would be just replay his previous Noir Alley  intro \ outro.

Anyhow,  still looking forward to watching Night and the City,   with or without Eddie.

I guess I'm just a grouch.  Nobody else seems to be annoyed about bumping regular TCM scheduling for a cobbled-together substitute "virutal" TCM Festival, which is just a bunch of clips and replays from earlier festivals.   If I could ever afford to attend one of those TCM Festivals, I would.  They sound like so much fun, and so interesting.  But watching bits on TCM from previous festivals obviously isn't anywhere near the same thing, and I kind of wish, since obviously they had to cancel the real one this year, that they'd just carried on with their regular programming.

I'll have to get my husband to tear himself away from SNL tonight  (of course it'll be a repeat anyway) long enough to see if Night and the City is a Noir Alley feature, in which case I'd want to at least hear Eddie's intro,  or, as james suggests,  it just happens to be what they're programming on Saturday night  (so, does that mean that at one point Night and the City was part of a TCM Film Festival's program? )

• Like 2

Let me make a Joan Fontaine recommendation:  IVY  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Let me make a Joan Fontaine recommendation:  IVY  

Thanks for the recommendation, Bronxgirl.  I looked up Ivy, and it sounds really interesting.  I'd love to see it.  Do you know if TCM has ever shown it?

10 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Bronxgirl.  I looked up Ivy, and it sounds really interesting.  I'd love to see it.  Do you know if TCM has ever shown it?

From our friend MovieCollectorOH's database, Ivy (1947) has been shown 1 time on TCM back in 2016.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

I guess I'm just a grouch.  Nobody else seems to be annoyed about bumping regular TCM scheduling for a cobbled-together substitute "virutal" TCM Festival, which is just a bunch of clips and replays from earlier festivals.   If I could ever afford to attend one of those TCM Festivals, I would.  They sound like so much fun, and so interesting.  But watching bits on TCM from previous festivals obviously isn't anywhere near the same thing, and I kind of wish, since obviously they had to cancel the real one this year, that they'd just carried on with their regular programming.

I'll have to get my husband to tear himself away from SNL tonight  (of course it'll be a repeat anyway) long enough to see if Night and the City is a Noir Alley feature, in which case I'd want to at least hear Eddie's intro,  or, as james suggests,  it just happens to be what they're programming on Saturday night  (so, does that mean that at one point Night and the City was part of a TCM Film Festival's program? )

I wasn't happy about the change in the TCM scheduling related to the cancellation of the TCM Film Festival.      I do understand why TCM would do this since a lot of other networks are doing something similar;   E.g.  The Food Network;    They are showing previous played programs,   like the food competition show Guys Grocery Games,  and having Guy and his son do 'new' commentary  from their home.        

Of course most of TCM's programming is 'old' and as it relates to Eddie and Noir Alley,    TCM could set up a broadcast system in his home (like the one Guy had),  at a very low cost and Eddie could do fresh \ new Noir Alley presentations from there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, misswonderly3 said:

does that mean that at one point Night and the City was part of a TCM Film Festival's program? )

According to the Film Festival schedule, Eddie presented Night and the City at the 2012 TCM Classic Film Festival.

It also says that Eddie introduced The Set-Up at the 2018 TCM CFF.

With some luck maybe we'll get to see some of this.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I wasn't happy about the change in the TCM scheduling related to the cancellation of the TCM Film Festival.      I do understand why TCM would do this since a lot of other networks are doing something similar;   E.g.  The Food Network;    They are showing previous played programs,   like the food competition show Guys Grocery Games,  and having Guy and his son do 'new' commentary  from their home.        

Of course most of TCM's programming is 'old' and as it relates to Eddie and Noir Alley,    TCM could set up a broadcast system in his home (like the one Guy had),  at a very low cost and Eddie could do fresh \ new Noir Alley presentations from there.

About these home based "broadcasts," I wonder how much time and effort people put into the background behind themselves.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, TheCid said:

About these home based "broadcasts," I wonder how much time and effort people put into the background behind themselves.

None for Guy Fieri:    He does the broadcast from his den.     Same with other hosts I have seen;  Either a den \ family room or a home office.

John Hamm and Richard Conte?  Shirley you jest. Granted, Conte had a certain rough-hewn appeal, 

but he lacked the classic good looks of John Hamm. I've been watching reruns of Mad Men on Audience,

and not once have I said to myself Wow, Don Draper reminds me of Richard Conte. Even Sally knows

better. :)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vautrin said:

John Hamm and Richard Conte?  Shirley you jest. Granted, Conte had a certain rough-hewn appeal, 

but he lacked the classic good looks of John Hamm. I've been watching reruns of Mad Men on Audience,

and not once have I said to myself Wow, Don Draper reminds me of Richard Conte. Even Sally knows

better. :)

I dunno, I stand by my opinion that there's a bit of a resemblance.  Also, Richard Conte was attractive in his own right.

Glad you're able to find re-runs of Mad Men. I thought it was a great show, and really loved it.

As I recall,  Sally had a crush on that guy in "The Man from Uncle",  David McCallum.  Come to think of it, so did I. (this is not to say that I responded to viewing him on TMFU quite the way Sally did.)

Re: the at home Film Festival.  I am actually watching it right now, live.  Tonight's entire line-up is fantastic: Casablanca, The Magnificent Ambersons, Night and Day, and The Lady Vanishes.  I'm looking forward to watching all of these films.  I'm watching Casablanca right now.  Granted for me, I have an advantage in that it is only a quarter after 5. 

I like the idea of the at home Film Festival--it's probably a way to reach out to those who were planning on attending the real festival this weekend.  I can tell you that on social media, Twitter especially, this at home festival is going over VERY well.  All the hosts are also engaging with their fans--it is quite the community online. In a way, this at home festival can also act as a means to advertise for future festivals, by giving people a taste of what they can expect if they go.  I recorded all the interviews--those are the most interesting to me.  I would love to go to the TCM Film Festival and have that on my list for future vacations.  I plan on saving up for the festival, so that I can buy 2 4-day passes.  If I'm going to go, I want to do as much as I can.  Go big or go home, I say.

Anyway, I don't care too much about what is scheduled versus not scheduled.  I just look at the schedule and watch/DVR accordingly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

I dunno, I stand by my opinion that there's a bit of a resemblance.  Also, Richard Conte was attractive in his own right.

Glad you're able to find re-runs of Mad Men. I thought it was a great show, and really loved it.

As I recall,  Sally had a crush on that guy in "The Man from Uncle",  David McCallum.  Come to think of it, so did I. (this is not to say that I responded to viewing him on TMFU quite the way Sally did.)

This will be one of those to each their own situations. I like Conte as an actor. He often seemed to play a guy with

a chip on his shoulder who was going to spend a large part of the movie feeding it, but he did that very well.

I'm enjoying watching Mad Men again. I missed some of the early episodes and an occasional one during the

later years. It's also easier to follow the plot watching it every day instead of once a week. When I first saw that

episode I thought that Sally just had a crush on McCallum, like many kids do with TV stars. Then I read a detailed

synopsis of that episode and found out her feelings went um....deeper. I missed that. Well it was pretty dark in

that TV room. No wonder Betty flipped out. :o

• Haha 1

On 4/17/2020 at 7:54 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Aaargh !  I'm annoyed with TCM's scheduling this weekend.  Although they're still airing Noir Alley in its Saturday night slot, they're bumping the Sunday morning one for their "virtual" TCM Festival.  Dear god,  Lawrence of Arabia,  for the thousandth time.  I hate Lawrence of Arabia,  along with that other huge long David Lean epic, Dr. Zhivago.  I do like a lot of Lean's earlier work, before he got all earnest and full of himself and decided that a movie wasn't worth making unless it was at least 3 hours long.  

But I digress.  My point is, I'm disappointed and annoyed that the Sunday morning slot for Noir Alley has been pre-empted for this useless substitute   "TCM  Festival" (since of course the actual Festival was cancelled this year.)   I don't want or need bits culled from earlier festivals to replace the one they couldn't have this year.  And I want to see Night and the City at 10 a.m. this Sunday morning,   NOT  Lawrence of frigging Arabia ! !

Ok,  I know ...."Why don't you just watch it Saturday night?"  you ask.  Because, even though Saturday night is obviously a much more appropriate time to watch a noir movie, my husband loves Saturday Night Live, even the repeats  (of course they're all repeats now),  and we only have one television set.  Plus, I've kind of gotten used to the Sunday morning Noir Alley time.

Oh well, I think I might have a copy  (but only on videotape, unfortunately) of Night and the City kicking around somewhere.  I'll have to try and find it.

I just learned there's no Noir Alley today and I'm as disappointed as you. I guess I could have recorded it last night had I known earlier. Hopefully , this is just a one time thing.  Also, maybe NIGHT AND THE CITY is or will be on TCM On Demand. Anyway, I'll probably skip LAWRENCE OF ARABIA too. I think I have a Bogart film on my video recorder.