Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

31 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I just learned there's no Noir Alley today and I'm as disappointed as you. I guess I could have recorded it last night had I known earlier. Hopefully , this is just a one time thing.  Also, maybe NIGHT AND THE CITY is or will be on TCM On Demand. Anyway, I'll probably skip LAWRENCE OF ARABIA too. I think I have a Bogart film on my video recorder. 

Yea but did they have Night And The City they had something else listed on the bumper between Casablanca and The Magnificent Ambersons  so I bailed. lol

17 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

None for Guy Fieri:    He does the broadcast from his den.     Same with other hosts I have seen;  Either a den \ family room or a home office.

Yes, but I was speaking of the pictures/awards on walls, books on bookcases and other things that will be seen.

1 hour ago, TheCid said:

Yes, but I was speaking of the pictures/awards on walls, books on bookcases and other things that will be seen.

Cid,  it looks like an average-Joe's real house,  real den,   I.e. where they really live.   E.g. Pictures of family on the wall,    art work,   "standard' looking bookcases,,etc....

In other words I do NOT think there are ANY props;   This is how their home looks BEFORE these broadcast.    This is their HOME,  un-messed with by designers.   They are also dressed like they are home for the weekend (t-shirts,  jeans,  tennis shoes).

Note that all 600 employees for the company I work for are all working remotely (I always for the last 15 years). 

Anyhow,   one busy-body HR person felt the the company should create standard for how the background looked and a dress-code.     The President just shook his head and told her to lighten-up!

I.e. a natural and 'real' setting ads calm during a crisis.    

36 minutes ago, cmovieviewer said:

If you need some Eddie, here is his intro to Night and the City from 2017 courtesy of Carney Tynes and YouTube:

And the wrap-up:

WHO SAW THE I992 DE NIRO REMAKE?

On 4/18/2020 at 1:00 PM, misswonderly3 said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Bronxgirl.  I looked up Ivy, and it sounds really interesting.  I'd love to see it.  Do you know if TCM has ever shown it?

Saw IVY several years ago and enjoyed every moment of what has to be described as an Edwardian period noir.  Joan looks ravishing, more beautiful than I've ever seen her, and gives a deliciously subtle performance.   By the way,  if you want to read about the film before watching and don't mind spoilers, I must steer you to Self-Styled Siren's fantastic review -- click on her name and then "Happy Birthday, Joan Fontaine: Ivy (1947)"  

• Thanks 1
On 4/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, cmovieviewer said:

From our friend MovieCollectorOH's database, Ivy (1947) has been shown 1 time on TCM back in 2016.

Thanks for this info, cmovieviewer.  That's when I saw IVY.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:21 PM, lavenderblue19 said:

Richard Conte was a very good actor, good range. So sympathetic in Ocean'11 and Thieves Highway, then the biggest SOB in I'll Cry Tomorrow

Conte himself said he cringed at the character he played in I'LL CRY TOMORROW!

24 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

Conte himself said he cringed at the character he played in I'LL CRY TOMORROW!

He cringed with good reason.  He plays  the role of a despicable character. He was very effective portraying  the abusive, horrible husband to Lillian  Roth ( Susan Hayward). That's what I'm saying, he could play nice and he could play mean .

• Like 2

I always thought one of Conte's better good guy roles was his turn as the newspaper reporter in The Blue Gardenia...

58e5c89c976b2a7d72e858c3d70a2f50--richar

• Like 3
13 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

He cringed with good reason.  He plays  the role of a despicable character. He was very effective portraying  the abusive, horrible husband to Lillian  Roth ( Susan Hayward). That's what I'm saying, he could play nice and he could play mean .

I'LL CRY TOMORROW was actually the first time I was exposed to Conte!  I cringed too -- so much so that when I saw him as a nice guy in another role, I would  initially shudder and wonder when he'd start beating someone up.    Versatile actor, but for me there was always an undercurrent of.....menace, lol.

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

I'LL CRY TOMORROW was actually the first time I was exposed to Conte!  I cringed too -- so much so that when I saw him as a nice guy in another role, I would  initially shudder and wonder when he'd start beating someone up.    Versatile actor, but for me there was always an undercurrent of.....menace, lol.

Which reinforces my theory - that we get imprinted by that first exposure and that it colors all subsequent experiences.

My example is the Lucky Charms Leprechaun commercial. Saw that as a kid first then subsequently I can't take the Irish brogue accents of  Barry Fitzgerald in anything or Orson Welles in Lady From Shanghai, lol.

• Like 3
11 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Which reinforces my theory - that we get imprinted by that first exposure and that it colors all subsequent experiences.

My example is the Lucky Charms Leprechaun commercial. Saw that as a kid first then subsequently I can't take the Irish brogue accents of  Barry Fitzgerald in anything or Orson Welles in Lady From Shanghai, lol.

So true. My first exposure to Conte was Ocean's 11 in a movie theater when first released. He plays a sympathetic guy and I never forgot as he was dying in the street  he said, "never the luck, never the luck"! I was about 9 years old, I think I cried LOL

• Like 2
1 hour ago, cigarjoe said:

Before the coronavirus issue closed off visitations to most hospitals, I was visiting my sister in law at a local hospital.  To make her feel better, I put her TV on UNIVISION thinking she'd take comfort in hearing all that Spanish( and at least hearing and seeing the soaps they had that she always watched).  At one point, they played a Lucky Charms commercial, but the volume wasn't to where I could hear it well, and I amusingly wondered,  since they "dub" all those commercials in Spanish, do they have that leprechaun speaking Spanish with an IRISH ACCENT?  ;) And if so, then what would THAT sound like?  :D  

Sepi O'Tone!  ;) 

7 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

At least Barry was a genuine Irishman!   Orson's accent in LFS is just.....embarrassing.

Just watched NIGHT AND THE CITY on TCM On Demand. It was just OK. It's one of those flicks where none of the characters (except Mary) was very likable. Widmark did a great job playing a hustler and it was interesting seeing a really young Herbert Lom.  It's always nice to see Gene Tierney.  Although she didn't have a really big role she did a good job portraying Fabian's long suffering girlfriend. 

OK so here is a Noir trivia question.  But first let me set it up.  

Classic Noir - 1940-ish to 1959-ish

Transitional Noir -1960 - 1969

Neo Noir  ( early  late)- 1990 to present

Which actor-s had performances  in all three? Classic Noir,  Transitional Noir,  and late Neo Noir.

28 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

OK so here is a Noir trivia question.  But first let me set it up.  

Classic Noir - 1940-ish to 1959-ish

Transitional Noir -1960 - 1969

Neo Noir  ( early  late)- 1990 to present

Which actor-s had performances  in all three? Classic Noir,  Transitional Noir,  and late Neo Noir.

Dean Stockwell.

30 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Yea he's one. There's another.

Well Robert Mitchum,  if one counts his small role in the DeNiro Cape Fear.

I though Dorothy Malone would qualify but she wasn't in a Transitional Noir.     I guess that would be another trivia question; someone that was in a classic-noir and a neo-noir but not in that middle period.

8 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Well Robert Mitchum,  if one counts his small role in the DeNiro Cape Fear.

He was also in Woman of Desire (1994) which may be considered neo-noir.

• Thanks 1