Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

49 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

A fine noir on Sunday night:    House of Bamboo.      

One Robert Ryan film TCM will be showing is House of Bamboo.   This 20th Century foreign noir film has a fine cast,  with top notch Japaneses actors.    Ryan plays a character named Sandy Dawson.      I don't wish to give the plot away but Sandy's love interest in this film are all over the map.

Li Xianglan.jpgRobert Stack - still.jpg

HOUSE OF BAMBOO is airing on TCM this Sunday evening. That's tomorrow night.

It's part of a theme called Tokyo Crime.

Screen Shot 2020-04-25 at 10.48.52 AM.png

I wish, if they're going to feature Japanese-oriented noir, they'd show The Crimson Kimono.  I looked it up, and while it doesn't appear to be actually set in Japan, it does seem to have a Japanese-based cultural theme.  And it's a rare noir that I've never had the chance to see.

4 minutes ago, misswonderly3 said:

I wish, if they're going to feature Japanese-oriented noir, they'd show The Crimson Kimono.  I looked it up, and while it doesn't appear to be actually set in Japan, it does seem to have a Japanese-based cultural theme.  And it's a rare noir that I've never had the chance to see.

Yea,  I mentioned this in another thread related to the Tokyo Crime theme;    That being set in Little Tokyo (Los Angeles),  it should still qualify.     I know all the places shown in the film since my Japanese mom would take me there often,  in the late 60s,   especially the Buddhist temple for services. 

I guess you missed a reply I made to you about 10 days ago related to strippers in noir films,  where I mentioned The Crimson Kimono and  Gloria Pall as Sugar Torch.   (now if that isn't a stripper's name I don't know what is).

5 hours ago, misswonderly3 said:

You read the programmers' minds - The Crimson Kimono (1959) is scheduled on May 13 at 8 pm ET and repeated on May 16 at 12 am ET and May 17 at 10 am ET.

The first showing is part of a TCM Spotlight on Asian Americans in Hollywood and the next 2 showings are for Noir Alley.

• Thanks 2

Well I'd seen Wicked Woman before  and enjoyed it. 

Beverly Michaels is great along with Percy Helton and Richard Egan. If you liked her in this one  Pickup  directed by Hugo Haas is also very good. I haven't seen Michaels in his The Girl on the Bridge though.  Some  of Haas' other Noirs are worth checking out if you can find them on Youtube, Hit and Run (1957) with Cleo Moore was pretty good. 

It's one of those Noirs where the overall sleaziness of the story more than makes up for it's paucity of Noir stylistic cinematography. 

Gotta love Beverly Michaels sucking on a tar bar on the Pickup poster.

Pickup Poster

• Like 2
5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

Well I'd seen Wicked Woman before  and enjoyed it. 

Beverly Michaels is great along with Percy Helton and Richard Egan. If you liked her in this one  Pickup  directed by Hugo Haas is also very good. I haven't seen Michaels in his The Girl on the Bridge though.  Some  of Haas' other Noirs are worth checking out if you can find them on Youtube, Hit and Run (1957) with Cleo Moore was pretty good. 

It's one of those Noirs where the overall sleaziness of the story more than makes up for it's paucity of Noir stylistic cinematography. 

Gotta love Beverly Michaels sucking on a tar bar on the Pickup poster.

Pickup Poster

I liked Wicked Woman, too, Joe. Deliciously sordid, with four darn good performances by Percy Helton, Beverly Michaels, Richard Egan, and Evelyn Scott. Who needs Romeo and Juliet when you can have Percy Helton and Beverly Michaels? One of the later Oz books has a life-size white rat named Percy, and I always think of that when I see Percy Helton, and never more than in Wicked Woman.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
5 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I watched it on YouTube last year and was a little surprised to see it turn up on Noir Alley. I never even thought about it being considered a noir while watching because of its lack of certain elements associated with the genre. But I guess the plot is pretty noir-y. I don't know if Mr. Mueller gets to make all his own selections, but he seems to allow some latitude as for what counts as a noir.

3 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

I watched it on YouTube last year and was a little surprised to see it turn up on Noir Alley. I never even thought about it being considered a noir while watching because of its lack of certain elements associated with the genre. But I guess the plot is pretty noir-y. I don't know if Mr. Mueller gets to make all his own selections, but he seems to allow some latitude as for what counts as a noir.

I saw "Wicked Woman" for the first time several months ago on YouTube as well.  I thought it was pretty good.  Beverly Michaels brings an early dimension to what a person with bi-polar disorder looks like!  One minute, she's cordial and friendly to Percy Helton, then she treats him like gum on the bottom of a shoe.  Same thing with Richard Egan; "I love you so much, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you!", followed 10 seconds later with:  "What do you mean we can't get the money for 10 days?  What kind of dope are you?"!  The one thing I wasn't particularly crazy about was the ending where Dora is chiding Matt about what he and Billie were cooking up to try and steal the business from under her nose and run off together to Mexico.  She should have at least kicked Richard Egan in the shins a couple of times to really show her displeasure; or at least, the director could have had Egan put a bandage on his face to hint that Dora was none to pleased with his scheme to skip town without her!

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, midwestan said:

I saw "Wicked Woman" for the first time several months ago on YouTube as well.  I thought it was pretty good.  Beverly Michaels brings an early dimension to what a person with bi-polar disorder looks like!  One minute, she's cordial and friendly to Percy Helton, then she treats him like gum on the bottom of a shoe.  Same thing with Richard Egan; "I love you so much, I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you!", followed 10 seconds later with:  "What do you mean we can't get the money for 10 days?  What kind of dope are you?"!  The one thing I wasn't particularly crazy about was the ending where Dora is chiding Matt about what he and Billie were cooking up to try and steal the business from under her nose and run off together to Mexico.  She should have at least kicked Richard Egan in the shins a couple of times to really show her displeasure; or at least, the director could have had Egan put a bandage on his face to hint that Dora was none to pleased with his scheme to skip town without her!

At first I felt the ending was kind of lame given Dora appearing to be so forgiving,  but this morning when thinking about it more,    I came to another interpetation.

Dora was an alcoholic and on the border of going over-the-rails.     She wasn't a good wife.     This behavior appears to have been going on for a while based on what the cook implied.    The husband had been loyal,   as well as kind,  but enough,  was enough.    While that doesn't justify,  by any means,  the actions of the husband once the femme fatale enters the picture,   for me it does explains how they both decided to give the marriage another go.    Dora agreed to straighten up now that she realizes she almost lost the man she loves.

Anyhow,  the film was better than I was lead to believe it would be.     

• Like 2
33 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

he seems to allow some latitude as for what counts as a noir.

Film Noir as originally defined means "Dark Film." Back in the 1930's French conservatives and religious censors dubbed any dark subject film without an uplifting message or critical of the powers that be a Film Noir.  Combine German Expressionism and The Poetic Realist Movement and you  get the genesis of the the dark visual  style look (add for American version, the look of Photo Journalism images (think WeeGee) and the electric rationing forced upon Hollywood where all the "A" pictures got the light and the "B" had to make do with creative lighting ).  Jump to the end  of WWII and the return of American Films to Paris after the war years and two French critics Nino Frank and Jean Pierre Chartier wrote that a number of American Films resembled what they used to call Film Noir.  The Titles they listed were Double Indemnity, Laura, The Maltese FalconMurder My Sweet, Double Indemnity, and The Lost Weekend.  

All pretty  "Dark" stories, but you could argue that the film least fitting the dark story + dark visual style was The Maltese Falcon.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I recorded Wicked Woman and it sits ready to be viewed on DVD.

Beverly Michaels, a poor man's tarty Lana Turner.

Richard Egan, her hunky target.

Percy Helton, sexy as a sleazy wart hog.

I can hardly wait.

• Haha 5

Runt, Runt, RUNT. That cracked me up. Bev wasn't bi-polar. She was just a master manipulator who used

people for her own advantage. When she needed Percy at the beginning she was nice to him. When he

had outlived his usefulness, she told him what she really thought of him. He was obviously delusional for

thinking that a gal like Bev would be interested in a guy like him. I liked the fact that, for a change, nobody

died. Egan returned to his loveless marriage and Bev gets on the bus out of town, already picking out her

next sucker. Some harm, little foul. The only thing more puke-inducing than Percy smothering Bev's hands

with kisses was the shot where Egan breaks into her room and Percy is covering her neck with kisses and

she seems to just lie there prone as if he's sucked all the energy out of her. Very bizarre. Without Helton

it's just another The Postman Always Rings Twice ripoff. His creepiness really adds to the movie. And by

unintentionally upsetting Bev and Egan's scheme, he gets his revenge for her treatment of him. Did he ever

get the twenty smackers he lent her? I doubt it. It may not be much, but it's short and entertaining.

Long tall Bev's built for speed, she's got everything ol' Percy needs. Oh baby.

• Like 4

I recently got around to watch "I Wake Up Screaming", although it was televised last month.  What surprised me is that with Eddie Muller's comments, there was absolutely no mention of the remake from the 1950's with Jean Peters and Jeanne Crain.  Did this surprise anyone else?

5 minutes ago, omm said:

One thing that cracked me up was the look Beverly gave when she spied that tasty steak Percy was cooking:

ME11ZC9Q_o.jpg

Yea,  a lot of hunger going on in this film,  with the individuals having different appetites.  

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Terrence1 said:

I recently got around to watch "I Wake Up Screaming", although it was televised last month.  What surprised me is that with Eddie Muller's comments, there was absolutely no mention of the remake from the 1950's with Jean Peters and Jeanne Crain.  Did this surprise anyone else?

Not in the intro or "outro"?    Yea,  that would be strange.    Maybe Muller only mentions new adaptations when he is showing the later one (which would make sense).

• Like 1

Has anyone seen NIGHT EDITOR? I recorded it on MOVIES last week and just finished viewing it. It's clearly a B movie in that I only recognized one of the actors.  However, it wasn't bad and has a surprise ending I didn't see coming.  I know this site is primarily for films shown on Noir Alley. I plan to watch WICKED WOMAN soon and will post my comments. I just wondered if Eddie has ever showed  NIGHT EDITOR or if it's familiar to any of you Noir fans more knowledgeable than me.

13 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

Has anyone seen NIGHT EDITOR? I recorded it on MOVIES last week and just finished viewing it. It's clearly a B movie in that I only recognized one of the actors.  However, it wasn't bad and has a surprise ending I didn't see coming.  I know this site is primarily for films shown on Noir Alley. I plan to watch WICKED WOMAN soon and will post my comments. I just wondered if Eddie has ever showed  NIGHT EDITOR or if it's familiar to any of you Noir fans more knowledgeable than me.

I been wanting to see Night Editor for weeks now but MOVIES always shows it as the last or second to last entry on its Thursday Night noir series,  or All Day Noir Sunday!    It is just on too late.     They show The Breaking Point,  Caged,  The Locket,  Human Desire,   etc...  (all fine films BTW),  before Night Editor. 

The film being from Columbia makes it one Mueller would have to go out of his way to get the TCM programmers to lease. 

I'm a fan of Janis Carter (she was fine with Glen Ford in Framed another noir MOVIES plays a lot).     I also like Jeff Donnell in anything she is in.     She was in some other noirs like In a Lonely Place,   The Blue Gardenia,  and Sweet Smell of Success.    SO I want to see this film.

Night editor.jpgJeffDonnell.jpg

4 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I been wanting to see Night Editor for weeks now but MOVIES always shows it as the last or second to last entry on its Thursday Night noir series,  or All Day Noir Sunday!    It is just on too late.     They show The Breaking Point,  Caged,  The Locket,  Human Desire,   etc...  (all fine films BTW),  before Night Editor. 

The film being from Columbia makes it one Mueller would have to go out of his way to get the TCM programmers to lease. 

I'm a fan of Janis Carter (she was fine with Glen Ford in Framed another noir MOVIES plays a lot).     I also like Jeff Donnell in anything she is in.     She was in some other noirs like In a Lonely Place,   The Blue Gardenia,  and Sweet Smell of Success.    SO I want to see this film.

Night editor.jpgJeffDonnell.jpg

I assume Jeff Donnell played Tony's wife, correct? She was good.

1 hour ago, Hoganman1 said:

I assume Jeff Donnell played Tony's wife, correct? She was good.

Yes,  that is correct.   

Jeff Donnell last few movies was in the Gidget films as Gidget's mother.   She went on to do T.V. shows ending her career on the soap General Hospital.

Here she is in the Bogie \ Grahame film In a Lonely Place:

220px-In_a_Lonely_Place_-_trailer_-_06.png

19 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

That's one that's eluded me, but I'll see if I can find it streaming, thanks for the heads up.