Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

30 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Too bad.

It's a Noir with all of the right ingredients. .... The chiaroscuro cinematography throughout the film is breathtaking.

It is a very, very good-looking movie, yes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It is a very, very good-looking movie, yes.

I'm also a big fan of Fallen Angle (but I'm sure the wife is going to say 'what, AGAIN!,   so I'm only going to be able to watch the first 20 minutes or so, ha ha).

Joe said it all for me.   Yea, there are flaws,   and some sappy moments between Andrews and Faye,  but otherwise some great scenes and as noted wonderful to look at.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fallen Angel is a must for Linda Darnell fans (and anyone else who likes watching a smoking hot noir temptress). Having everyman Dana Andrews in the lead is another plus.

• Like 1

I do like Fallen Angel.  It was the first Linda Darnell movie I saw and I enjoyed seeing Pa Kettle in something else other than Ma and Pa Kettle. I really love the Fox Film Noirs in general.  I almost have the whole series, I'm only missing #21 Fourteen Hours

Anyway, re: the coffee with the hamburger.  Ack! Why? That's like having coffee with pizza.  It just doesn't work.  Hamburgers should be washed down with soda or a beer.  I also notice that in these old movies, usually the character is just served a hamburger on a plate.  There isn't a side of fries or anything to accompany the burger.  This, along with coffee in lieu of soda or beer is probably why everyone is so thin... well that, and the fact that they'll order their meal and leave the restaurant as soon as the waiter brings their order... the characters never actually eat or drink any part of their meal.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

I do like Fallen Angel.  It was the first Linda Darnell movie I saw and I enjoyed seeing Pa Kettle in something else other than Ma and Pa Kettle. I really love the Fox Film Noirs in general.  I almost have the whole series, I'm only missing #21 Fourteen Hours

Anyway, re: the coffee with the hamburger.  Ack! Why? That's like having coffee with pizza.  It just doesn't work.  Hamburgers should be washed down with soda or a beer.  I also notice that in these old movies, usually the character is just served a hamburger on a plate.  There isn't a side of fries or anything to accompany the burger.  This, along with coffee in lieu of soda or beer is probably why everyone is so thin... well that, and the fact that they'll order their meal and leave the restaurant as soon as the waiter brings their order... the characters never actually eat or drink any part of their meal.

Yeah but they only paid a dime for it in the first place.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, uncle charlie said:

Yeah but they only paid a dime for it in the first place.

Yeah.  I put that .10 through the inflation calculator for 1945 (when Fallen Angel came out) and it puts that 10-cents at $1.43.  Still a heck of a deal for dinner.  I would still try to each part of it, but I suppose they aren't out that much money.

Does anyone else convert dollar amounts mentioned (or seen) in films to today's dollars? Or is that just me? Before I make fun of the $5300 price tag of Lucy and Desi's 40' trailer in The Long, Long Trailer (e.g.), I'll convert it to today's dollars ($50, 855) and that will put the price into perspective for me.  Even Lucy's "Bungalette" trailer with the $1800 price tag is equivalent to $17,000 today, and I wouldn't want to spend that much on a crackerbox like that thing. 

• Like 1

Eight.

The number of times I counted Andrews grabbing the arm of Darnell and/or Faye as they'd begin to walk away from him in this thing.

(...evidently the concept of "personal space" wasn't a thing in 1945) ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Eight.

The number of times I counted Andrews grabbing the arm of Darnell and/or Faye as they'd begin to walk away from him in this thing.

The were lucky. If it had been Donald Trump he'd have grabbed . . . okay, okay, leave it for Off Topics.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Anyway, re: the coffee with the hamburger.  Ack! Why? That's like having coffee with pizza.  It just doesn't work.  Hamburgers should be washed down with soda or a beer.  I also notice that in these old movies, usually the character is just served a hamburger on a plate.

So you got DAISY KENYON?

re: re: the coffee and the hamburger- I KNOW I have seen a classic movie where a character ordered "A Hamburger Sandwich with Onions and a cup of black coffee" which, Um, EW!

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Eight.

HEY, THERE WAS A WAR ON**, BUDDY!!!!!

**depending on the release date though, I mean if this thing came out after VJ Day then, no, that's not cool, Dana.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

So you got DAISY KENYON?

re: re: the coffee and the hamburger- I KNOW I have seen a classic movie where a character ordered "A Hamburger Sandwich with Onions and a cup of black coffee" which, Um, EW!

Yeah! I have Daisy Kenyon.  I haven't watched it yet though.

Onions and Coffee sounds horrible.  Blech.

22 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I know, right? BARF- and I'm a huge fan of coffee.

I'm not, however, a huge fan of FALLEN ANGEL, which is weirdassed movie that starts out sort of aiming to be ALICE FAYE in HOLD BACK THE DAWN then decides it wants to be LOW RENT LAURA, then just throws up its hands, says "I just don't know why I even bother!" and calls it a day.

Love the fact that DANA ANDREWS's character in this movie wears a suit and tie and six ounces of pomeade in his hair to the beach.

I know. It starts out promising enough. I keep wondering what Alice Faye's big scenes were and WHERE they were. I know she sang a song that was cut.  But what were the other ones? It's obvious that Zanuck cut the film to favor Darnell.....

Yeah, men wore suits wherever they went back then, at least in the movies.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Never eat at a place called Pop's. Though I must admit that burger that pop cooked up at the start of the

flick looked very generous, especially compared to those thin Depression-era burgers one saw in

movies of that time. And it must have been very rare as he got it done in about a minute. If I were Andrews

I would have snatched that thing away from Darnell and chowed down. Perhaps a foreshadowing of how

hard Dana tried to get into Linda's pants without success. I thought Alice Faye was pretty sexy in a prim

and proper way which only makes it more exciting. I certainly wouldn't have left her on their marriage night,

though they must have wished that the sister was not so near them. Yuck. And it was good to see Bickford,

the abusive cop, get caught in the end. A pretty decent noir with a happy ending, though I felt a little bit

sorry for Kilbride still mourning Stella at the conclusion. You were old enough to be her grandfather, so

you really should have controlled yourself.  It was a tad on the creepy side.

• Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 4:51 PM, cigarjoe said:

Fallen Angel tonight, if I remember right it has the old style roads signs as credits. Here's another diner/lunch counter scene where people invariably order a hamburger and a cup of joe,  rather than a Coke. 

Or ham and eggs.  In every movie made after 1930 but before 1950 it seems.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:39 AM, Hibi said:

OMG! Percy really went to pot!

He makes Mickey Rooney look like Tarzan.

• Haha 1

I've always liked FALLEN ANGEL -- in fact, it's one of my favorite Preminger movies, but wish like hell all of Faye's scenes were kept intact.  Hate Zanuck for that sabotage.   (and I say this as a Linda Darnell fan.  One of the screen's great beauties who could also act).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And speaking of actors who went to pot, Bruce Cabot looked a big ragged, and this was only 1945.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bronxgirl48 said:

And speaking of actors who went to pot, Bruce Cabot looked a big ragged, and this was only 1945.

He was Errol Flynn's friend.  

• Haha 2

On 4/26/2020 at 4:07 PM, TomJH said:

I recorded Wicked Woman and it sits ready to be viewed on DVD.

Beverly Michaels, a poor man's tarty Lana Turner.

Richard Egan, her hunky target.

Percy Helton, sexy as a sleazy wart hog.

I can hardly wait.

Well I finally saw Wicked Woman. I'm just sorry that we didn't get to see more of Percy making out with Beverly. It would have added to the film's already considerable sleaze factor (as well as been a treat for chunky little guys watching the film who fantasize about hard boiled sleek, leggy blondes).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

He was Errol Flynn's friend.  

lol, that does say it all.   

Wonder what their livers looked like.

14 hours ago, Hibi said:

It starts out promising enough. I keep wondering what Alice Faye's big scenes were and WHERE they were

The scene(s) in the hotel room with just Faye and Andrews were draggy..

It's as if the director and screenwriter(s) had them in limbo until they could come up with a path to the ending.

I too, was left wondering about the scenes that were cut. Overall, it was a good film, but there were some flaws. I've come to realize one has to remember when these films were made. Today's movies tend to be much more realistic. Once you give in to the idea that people will fall in love in two days or" bad" guys can become "good" guys literally overnight it's easier to relax and enjoy.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

I too, was left wondering about the scenes that were cut. Overall, it was a good film, but there were some flaws. I've come to realize one has to remember when these films were made. Today's movies tend to be much more realistic. Once you give in to the idea that people will fall in love in two days or" bad" guys can become "good" guys literally overnight it's easier to relax and enjoy.

I was at least able to find this still (lobby card) on the internet of the deleted original closing scene which Eddie talked about in his outro, and in which Bickford and Andrews square off on a bluff above the Pacific Ocean...

2421841117548125472.jpg

6 hours ago, Arteesto said:

The scene(s) in the hotel room with just Faye and Andrews were draggy..

It's as if the director and screenwriter(s) had them in limbo until they could come up with a path to the ending.

Correct.    That is the prime example of what I was getting at when I posted that while I liked the film (a lot),   there are flaws,,, "and some sappy moments between Andrews and Faye,".

• Like 1