Jump to content

 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Barton_Keyes

Noir Alley

Recommended Posts

Yes, although it's only revealed so at the end.........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yes, although it's only revealed so at the end.........

If you're talking about the film Harper here Hibi, actually, RJ's character is revealed as a villain and killed off much sooner than at the end of the film.

(...aah, but such is often the plight of an actor billed 7th, ya know)  ;)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, towards the end. They have that ship wrap up. Probably 15 more mins.

Quote

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Nope Hogan, RJ also played a villain about ten years later in the 1966 Paul Newman-starring and REAL (neo) noir film Harper...

harper.jpg

That's right! I forgot about that film. It was one of  Paul Newman's famous "H"  flicks.   HARPER, HUD  and HOMBRE were all really good movies and who could forget COOL HAND LUKE and THE HUSTLER. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hoganman1 said:

Who was the elected official or judge that said " I cannot define obscenity, but I know it when I see it"? I feel the same way about Film Noir. 

Exactly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as Robert Wagner doesn't  he become and an accomplice to David Niven in The Pink Panther? Also want he a bad guy in one of the Austin Powers flicks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, cigarjoe said:

Exactly

Well I looked it up on Google and it was Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart in 1964. The court was ruling on whether or not a movie called THE LOVERS was pornography.  He voted it was not.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the heck are they teaching these kids at Stoddard U.? How to be tramps and psycho

killers? I'd transfer out of that place ASAP. Plus it's too easy to get into the chemistry dept.

supply room. This is a bit of Peyton Place west with the constant sunshine taking the place of

the New England shade. Bobby wasn't all bad. Before trying to off Joanne, he tried the ol' push

her down the bleachers abortion method. No go. What was next in his plan, a Clorox sitz bath?

When Joanne was not killed by his pill I was wondering if the doofus was too dumb to come

up with a lethal one. Turns out she didn't take it. He finally gave up with more subtle methods

and just pushed her off a building. Then he sticks around looking through her purse instead of

getting the hell out of there. Oh well. I liked Jeffrey Hunter. He was one of the few sane folks

in the whole flick. Kind of nerdy, but smart enough to be there to pick up the pieces of

Virginia's broken heart after Bobby is out of the picture. From the first time I saw this I

always thought it was such a 1950s movie--the  garishness, the clothes, the cars, the manners,

etc. so more so than your typical 1950s film. Makes it very enjoyable on its own, aside from

the plot and characters. 

 

I saw the 90s remake many years ago and don't remember much about it. It certainly didn't have

the unconscious weirdness of the original.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dargo said:

If you're talking about the film Harper here Hibi, actually, RJ's character is revealed as a villain and killed off much sooner than at the end of the film.

(...aah, but such is often the plight of an actor billed 7th, ya know)  ;)

 

 

He was only billed 7th due to the alphabet. The cast (after Newman) were listed in alphabetical order (to keep egos in check, I suppose)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 2:05 PM, Hibi said:

He was only billed 7th due to the alphabet. The cast (after Newman) were listed in alphabetical order (to keep egos in check, I suppose)

Ah, good point here, Hibi. In this case it indeed look as if the casts' listing order had nothing to do with the importance of each actor's role to the plot.

When I had earlier looked up this film's Wiki plot synopsis to make sure I was correct in remembering when RJ's death scene occurred and then quickly checking the cast listing, I failed to note it had been in alphabetical order and as you mentioned here.

(...I guess I also was thinking that by the mid-'60s it seemed R.J.'s career had been on the wane a bit and until it would be revived by his first television success, It Takes a Thief, a couple years later)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

As far as Robert Wagner doesn't  he become and an accomplice to David Niven in The Pink Panther? Also want he a bad guy in one of the Austin Powers flicks?

Yes, but then again here CJ, I wouldn't exact call his turn in either of these two comedies as being an example of the classic movie villain, and not when they're being played for laughs anyway.

(...but yes, technically you are correct here)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/31/2020 at 8:58 PM, Hibi said:

I was surprised Joanne considered this her worst film. She must've forgotten about A New Kind of Love and From The  Terrace.....

Also surprised Eddie didnt mention the Sean Young remake..........

 

On 5/31/2020 at 10:02 PM, cigarjoe said:

Any good?

 

On 6/1/2020 at 8:45 AM, Hoganman1 said:

Who was the elected official or judge that said " I cannot define obscenity, but I know it when I see it"? I feel the same way about Film Noir.  Like I've said here before, I'm still a novice and I learn something every time I visit this site. 

Now, what was the Sean Young remake? You've peaked my curiosity. 

 

On 6/1/2020 at 12:24 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

One noir aspect is obsession;    the guy was obsessed with making it big so he could get his mother a new wig.    If that isn't dark I don't know what is.

 

 

On 6/1/2020 at 1:09 PM, Hibi said:

I've heard it was pretty bad, but I've never seen it. She played both sisters! (twins).

the 1991 A KISS BEFORE DYING is pretty bad- it makes the odd choice of being INTENSELY GRAPHIC in the death of the first sister, who is also played by SEAN YOUNG- the camera follows her down and her head hits the pavement and we SEE SOME REAL SICK SPLATTER**. I don't think you can find the scene on youtube. SEAN YOUNG has a delivery VERY MUCH LIKE THAT OF VIRGINIA LEITH- their unusual voices- are a lot alike. MATT DILLON is really out of his depth...ie one of those modernistic bird baths that hold, like, half an inch of water.

I don't really like the 1956(?) KISS either though- both of them, surprisingly, pale in comparison to the source novel by IRA LEVIN- which uses a fascinating trick on the reader that is pretty much exclusive to the art of the written word (we read, but we cannot see, and thus we miss something right in front of our eyes.)

The ending the LEVIN NOVEL is (spoiler) MUCH BETTER THAN EITHER, although I don't recall the ending of the 1991 version...the "HERO" of our story (early Patrick Bateman prototype) falls into a vat of (I think) molten gold. I will always remember I read it in an illustrated edition and the artist's rendering was MARVELOUS.

I mentioned this before, but SERIOUSLY, MARY ASTOR SHOULD HAVE FILED CRIMINAL CHARGES FOR WHOEVER DID THAT TO HER HAIR. I would 100% understand anyone who was not versed in classic films to come away from the original KISS BEFORE DYING thinking "well the root of the guy's problem was that HIS DAD WAS ALWAYS IN A DRESS..."

62ae364a060e50082a6c46efd577838b.jpg

 

**I SOMETIMES wonder if this was retaliation on Sean Young, Bless her heart, she's a handful. Allegedly. mAYBE THey were also goign for a JANET LEIGH in PSYCHO but not really and EVEN SICKER SHOCK TRICK.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

 

 

 

 

the 1991 A KISS BEFORE DYING is pretty bad- it makes the odd choice of being INTENSELY GRAPHIC in the death of the first sister, who is also played by SEAN YOUNG- the camera follows her down and her head hits the pavement and we SEE SOME REAL SICK SPLATTER**. I don't think you can find the scene on youtube. SEAN YOUNG has a delivery VERY MUCH LIKE THAT OF VIRGINIA LEITH- their unusual voices- are a lot alike. MATT DILLON is really out of his depth...ie one of those modernistic bird baths that hold, like, half an inch of water.

I don't really like the 1956(?) KISS either though- both of them, surprisingly, pale in comparison to the source novel by IRA LEVIN- which uses a fascinating trick on the reader that is pretty much exclusive to the art of the written word (we read, but we cannot see, and thus we miss something right in front of our eyes.)

The ending the LEVIN NOVEL is (spoiler) MUCH BETTER THAN EITHER, although I don't recall the ending of the 1991 version...the "HERO" of our story (early Patrick Bateman prototype) falls into a vat of (I think) molten gold. I will always remember I read it in an illustrated edition and the artist's rendering was MARVELOUS.

I mentioned this before, but SERIOUSLY, MARY ASTOR SHOULD HAVE FILED CRIMINAL CHARGES FOR WHOEVER DID THAT TO HER HAIR. I would 100% understand anyone who was not versed in classic films to come away from the original KISS BEFORE DYING thinking "well the root of the guy's problem was that HIS DAD WAS ALWAYS IN A DRESS..."

62ae364a060e50082a6c46efd577838b.jpg

 

**I SOMETIMES wonder if this was retaliation on Sean Young, Bless her heart, she's a handful. Allegedly. mAYBE THey were also goign for a JANET LEIGH in PSYCHO but not really and EVEN SICKER SHOCK TRICK.

LOL. I didn't think her wig was that bad. A bit mannish, yes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hibi said:

LOL. I didn't think her wig was that bad. A bit mannish, yes!

It was worn by CEDRIC HARDWICKE in THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. 

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It was worn by CEDRIC !HARDWICKE in THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. 

LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

It was worn by CEDRIC HARDWICKE in THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME. 

LOL

vlcsnap-275302.png?w=450&h=345

"No, it's NOT just because you're creepy as hell, but ALSO that haircut of yours here is a big turnoff TOO!"

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/1/2020 at 12:43 PM, Dargo said:

Yeah, "obsession"...a word which is found in many a Psychology text book, and thus making the film more of a psychological thriller as I stated earlier than any kind of "noir".

And because once again in my view, the only character WITH psychological issues was the lead character, and who was surrounded by ordinary and fairly well-adjusted characters within his anything BUT "dark" environment...both visually or in any other manner the word "dark" could be applied,

(...sorry James, but I'm gonna stick to my guns here)

I'm replying to this now that I see the latest post about Cedric Hardwicke and his hairstyle in Hunchback compared to that of Astor in A Kiss Before Dying:

I have been trying for almost a decade to get you to take a topic seriously and to reply as such;   Well here you do so,  but when it should have been clear I was joking!!!!!

I.e. this crack should have been the giveaway: the guy was obsessed with making it big so he could get his mother a new wig.    If that isn't dark I don't know what is.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

I'm replying to this now that I see the latest post about Cedric Hardwicke and his hairstyle in Hunchback compared to that of Astor in A Kiss Before Dying:

I have been trying for almost a decade to get you to take a topic seriously and to reply as such;   Well here you do so,  but when it should have been clear I was joking!!!!!

I.e. this crack should have been the giveaway: the guy was obsessed with making it big so he could get his mother a new wig.    If that isn't dark I don't know what is.

 

 

 

WAIT a sec here, James.

Are you sayin' that THAT was the first time you EVER remember me replying to you about something in a "serious manner" for the last ten YEARS?!!!

Well dude, in THAT case, I THINK I'm startin' to see why Hibi told me a while back when she didn't believe something I told her was true (I think it was about how hat sizes were determined) and when it WAS true, was because of my "reputation" or "history" or somethin' around here!

(...YEAH, maybe Hibi had a point after all, EH?!...YEAH, evidently "reputations" are a hard thing to shake sometimes, EH?!...well, harder than I would've ever THOUGHT, anyway!!!)

LOL

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, LornaHansonForbes said:

I mentioned this before, but SERIOUSLY, MARY ASTOR SHOULD HAVE FILED CRIMINAL CHARGES FOR WHOEVER DID THAT TO HER HAIR. I would 100% understand anyone who was not versed in classic films to come away from the original KISS BEFORE DYING thinking "well the root of the guy's problem was that HIS DAD WAS ALWAYS IN A DRESS..."

62ae364a060e50082a6c46efd577838b.jpg

What is that hair?? 
 

I think what really kills it is that little tuft of hair that sticks out. 
 

This hair is worse than Babs’ in “Double Indemnity” or Gene Tierney’s in the second half of “Heaven Can Wait.”  Or many of Ginger Rogers’ crazy 40s & 50s ‘dos. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

What is that hair?? 
 

I think what really kills it is that little tuft of hair that sticks out. 
 

This hair is worse than Babs’ in “Double Indemnity” or Gene Tierney’s in the second half of “Heaven Can Wait.”  Or many of Ginger Rogers’ crazy 40s & 50s ‘dos. 

Being the big I Love Lucy fan that you are here speedy, then you probably know that those short cut women's hairstyle were quite the rage back in the 1950s and were considered the height of fashion because of their association with European and especially postwar Italian actresses.

(...didn't Lucy once don a short black wig while she and Ricky were in Italy?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Being the big I Love Lucy fan that you are here speedy, then you probably know that those short cut women's hairstyle were quite the rage back in the 1950s and were considered the height of fashion because of their association with European and especially postwar Italian actresses.

(...didn't Lucy once don a short black wig while she and Ricky were in Italy?)

Lucy did don a short black wig, but it wasn’t when they were in Italy. At the beginning of the episode, the Ricardos and Mertzes arrive home after seeing an Italian movie. Lucy decides she wants short, black haircut like the women in the film. Of course, Ricky’s against it. Lucy borrows a black wig from her hairdresser in hope that Ricky will like it. 
 

Lucy’s wig looks much better on her than on Mary Astor. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, speedracer5 said:

Lucy did don a short black wig, but it wasn’t when they were in Italy. At the beginning of the episode, the Ricardos and Mertzes arrive home after seeing an Italian movie. Lucy decides she wants short, black haircut like the women in the film. Of course, Ricky’s against it. Lucy borrows a black wig from her hairdresser in hope that Ricky will like it. 
 

Lucy’s wig looks much better on her than on Mary Astor. 

251544.jpg

"Ya THINK? Why THANKS!"  ;)

Yep, I agree. At least it didn't make Lucy more "matronly" looking, anyway.

(...saaay, maybe if Mary would've also sported those big sexy hoop earring too, it might've helped?...naaah, still probably not, huh)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, and Ricky does, but pretends he doesnt and Lucy thinks he on the make for another woman (like he couldnt recognize her voice or face!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dargo said:

251544.jpg

"Ya THINK? Why THANKS!"  ;)

Yep, I agree. At least it didn't make Lucy more "matronly" looking, anyway.

(...saaay, maybe if Mary would've also sported those big sexy hoop earring too, it might've helped?...naaah, still probably not, huh)

Lucy also adds a beauty mark as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, speedracer5 said:

Lucy also adds a beauty mark as well. 

Oh, THAT'S right!

Saaay, maybe THAT is why Lucy thinks Ricky doesn't recognize her?

(...see Hibi?...there's always a plausible answer for these kind'a things in sitcoms!) ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

© 2020 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...