Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

20 minutes ago, Hibi said:

Yeah, and Ricky does, but pretends he doesnt and Lucy thinks he on the make for another woman (like he couldnt recognize her voice or face!

Lol. 

I love this episode. I have 3 favorite parts:

1) When Lucy and Ethel go to the restaurant to meet the guys and Ethel (who’s trying to look exotic like Lucy, but has 3 mismatched pieces—a Japanese geisha girl wig, American Indian dress, and Eskimo fur coat) and is self conscious. Lucy says she looks fine and Ethel says: “I look like an ad for a trip around the world!”

2) Ricky describing his “old battleaxe’s” figure to Lucy (who by the way, Ricky does know it’s her because he’s tipped off by the male hairdresser at the salon Lucy frequents). “Her figure is all... and her hair is uh...”

3) And my favorite favorite part. Ricky looking at the now-bald mannequin at the hair salon (which used to don Lucy’s black wig), with a sign that says: “How would you like to look like this?” And Ricky says: “Is THIS what we have to look forward to next season?” I like to use this line for a particularly poorly dressed (or oddly dressed) mannequin. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Oh, THAT'S right!

Saaay, maybe THAT is why Lucy thinks Ricky doesn't recognize her?

(...see Hibi?...there's always a plausible answer for these kind'a things in sitcoms!) ;)

Ricky does know it’s Lucy. He’s tipped off by the male hairdresser at Lucy’s salon before she returns as “the other woman.” 

17 hours ago, speedracer5 said:

Ricky does know it’s Lucy. He’s tipped off by the male hairdresser at Lucy’s salon before she returns as “the other woman.” 

Yeah, but like Hibi said, as if Ricky couldn't have recognized her anyway without that little heads-up.

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Yeah, but like Hibi said, as if Ricky could've have recognized her anyway without that little heads-up.

Yeah, Lucy is pretty dumb, but then we knew that.........

I'm looking forward to The Underworld Story coming this week. Howard Da Silva is in the film. Apparently,it was his last film before he was blacklisted in the 50s. It's kind of interesting since upon his return he played Ben Franklin, FDR and of course Krushchev. 

6 minutes ago, Hoganman1 said:

I'm looking forward to The Underworld Story coming this week. Howard Da Silva is in the film. Apparently,it was his last film before he was blacklisted in the 50s. It's kind of interesting since upon his return he played Ben Franklin, FDR and of course Krushchev. 

Da Silva is terrific in this role as the wisecracking leader of a mob, and almost steals the movie from even Duryea.

(...might be my favorite of any of his performances)

21 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Da Silva is terrific in this role as the wisecracking leader of a mob, and almost steals the movie from even Duryea.

(...might be my favorite of any of his performances)

Yes, I'm excited about seeing him and Duryea as I haven't seen the film. I mainly remember him from all of his TV show appearances in the 60s. I loved that deep voice. 

The TCM Schedule does say The Underworld Story is this weeks Noir Alley film,  but two weeks ago when the film was The Crimson Kimono,  didn't Eddie say that in two weeks he would be showing another Sam Fuller film Underworld USA?      I guess I'm confused.

Anyhow,   with The Underworld Story Eddie will likely discuss Da Silva being blacklisted soon after this film,  and director Cy Endfield.

One odd things here is Mary Anderson playing a black women (well at least the director didn't use blackface!).        Anderson is best known to me from the DeHavilland film To Each His Own where she plays the women that adopts unmarried Olivia's child.   

As for the film;   Da Silva is fine (I still like him as Chickamaw in They Live by Night). and Duryea is full of energy,  but the film is all-over-the-place and lacks solid direction.

Actress Mary Anderson, 96. (Reply #82) - Democratic Underground

1 hour ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

The TCM Schedule does say The Underworld Story is this weeks Noir Alley film,  but two weeks ago when the film was The Crimson Kimono,  didn't Eddie say that in two weeks he would be showing another Sam Fuller film Underworld USA?      I guess I'm confused.

Anyhow,   with The Underworld Story Eddie will likely discuss Da Silva being blacklisted soon after this film,  and director Cy Endfield.

Mary Anderson playing a black women (well at least the director didn't use blackface!).        Anderson is best known to me from the DeHavilland film To Each His Own where she plays the women that adopts unmarried Olivia's child.   

As for the film;   Da Silva is fine (I still like him as Chickamaw in They Live by Night). and Duryea is full of energy,  but the film is all-over-the-place and lacks solid direction.

Actress Mary Anderson, 96. (Reply #82) - Democratic Underground

I've seen Underworld USA but don't recall this one

15 hours ago, cigarjoe said:

I've seen Underworld USA but don't recall this one

Theme wise the film is similar to Ace in the Hole (Douglas and Duryea play similar heels)  but Underworld USA has no Jan Sterling type character  (and her character does add a lot to Ace in the Hole,  that is missing in Underworld USA).    Gale Storm is just too 'clean' for a noir!   

Still worth seeing and the older actors Marshall and Da Silva help keep interest.   

The film got really poor reviews but of course they were from the print media which wasn't shown in a good light.

• Like 1

I just loved Robert Wagner’s performance in A Kiss Before Dying and I can’t wait to see him in all his Spy movies sometime.  Hey.  Anyone remember Eddie’s idea for a double feature for TCM Underground?  It was The Brain Who Wouldn’t Die and what was that Spy spoof he was talking about.  I had it.  But now I can’t remember.  I would like to request that idea on the TCM Underground board.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:50 PM, LornaHansonForbes said:

cedric-hardwicke-the-hunchback-of-notre-

He doesn't have that curly q in the middle that Mary had!

On 6/3/2020 at 11:08 AM, LornaHansonForbes said:

SERIOUSLY, MARY ASTOR SHOULD HAVE FILED CRIMINAL CHARGES FOR WHOEVER DID THAT TO HER HAIR

62ae364a060e50082a6c46efd577838b.jpg

Omigod I didn't even recognize her in that photo!

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

I've always loved Mary's delicate beauty, but I've always disliked her short hair styles (or maybe her hair was just pinned up?). I liked when her hair was a little longer such as in AN ACT OF VIOLENCE.

2 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Remind you at all of another actress whose biggest role was as a reporter for the Daily Planet back in the 1950s?

(...Yep, Mary looks a lot like Noel Neill here, wouldn't ya say?!)

Despite the differences in age and interests--he liked flower arranging and she never missed

a midget wrestling match, they fell hard for each other immediately.  They just couldn't keep

their hands off each other. Many years after it was over Mary confided to a gal pal, "Bobby,

oh dear. He made George look like Daffy Duck."

• Haha 2

Enjoyed THE UNDERWORLD STORY. It was interesting to see Duryea play a good guy  (or almost a good guy).  Da Silva was as advertised as the mob boss.  Gale Storm was good too. 

I assume you all noticed Eddie was obviously "working from home". Assuming these intros and outros (if that's a word) are all taped in advance,  COVID-19 must have caught-up with them.  Also, while I'm sure it wasn't planned the" let's blame the black girl" theme was very timely. 

• Like 2

Not that great. Eddie calls it "a minor classic." Dan plays it in a good guy sort of way until he gets a chance throw someone under the bus. At the end we are no doubt meant to forgive him; you know, well he was a bad boy there for awhile but hey everything turned out all right. Except maybe for Molly. The last third of the film is a little convoluted, still not sure I got it completely straight. It should not be said that Gale Storm shouldn't be in a noir, based on this movie anyway, her role was not a noir role, she is a nice girl who plays it straight, and she did fine. Duryea obviously comes off better with a nasty role. With the confines of the role, he bland, for him.

Gale Storm is in at least one other noir, Abandoned, which I saw at the Palm Springs Film Festival a few years back. Beautifully restored and not to be missed, with some excellent location shows of downtown LA. Gale plays a nice girl who comes to LA trying to find her missing sister. Dennis O'Keefe tries to help her. How about Marjorie Rambeau, Raymond Burr and Mike Mazurki as a trio of villains?

The Underworld Story seemed like a reasonably good three star out of four film. On the preachy side, and the pace seems to drag a bit half to two-thirds through. Howard Da Silva is a great villain. The Da Silva/Herbert Marshall scene is probably the best in the film. Great contrast of styles. Gar Moore is very good in the role Keir Dullea would have played in the early sixties.

• Like 1

Have never seen Abandoned.  Hope it turns up on Noir Alley. Had seen Underworld Story before. Good story made on the cheap. Film almost ruined by a white actress playing a black character. Didn't look black at all. And except for a slur used in one scene, wouldn't even have known she was. She disappears about half way through

• Like 1